Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health (ASMPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cibo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ateneo de Manila University will be opening their medical school this June, 2007. They are offering a 5-year program and you will be graduating with a degree in Doctor of Medicine (MD) and Master in Management (MM). The teaching hospital is going to be in Medical City.

I would just like to know any opinion about this. In addition, do you think that ASMPH will be accredited as one of the medical schools listed in the IMED or WHO for ECFMG certification? If you study in ASMPH, are you going to be able to take your residency training in the US and practice there eventually?

Feel free to post any of your opinions about ASMPH! Hoping to hear from you guys soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you finished from a good school like Ateneo, it will be more difficult to get into residency in the US if you are a pioneer graduate. Some states like California won't even recognize your school unless it is 7 years old. You might be able to get a license in another state but the paperwork and bureaucracy involved is not worth it to be grandfathered.

totally agree with tantrum, if you plan to practice in california it'll be in your interest to pursue medical education at a better known medical school.

ASMPH should have no problem being accredited by the IMED or WHO since they both rely on data coming from the country where the medical school is located. so if ASMPH is accredited in the Philippines then the IMED and WHO will accredit it.

all the best cibo

p.s cibo? that's not like the restaurant is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
then again, why talk about residency in the US?
Shouldn't we talk about providing doctors to our country first instead of talking about USMLE?
The number of doctors to be produced by ASMPH is not enough to cover for all the losses (in terms of the number of doctors) we have suffered.

A new medical school is a welcome addition. I do believe ADMU always produces good graduates and hopefully this medical school will also do good. I just hope they will stay in the country first.

Only because Cibo was asking about US residencies. I think new schools will emphasize the need to stay in the Philippines. If things don't improve there, I don't see the other schools surviving due to decreasing med school enrollment. Other than regional and state schools, very few school will survive in Metro Manila (like UP,PLM, UST, Ateneo). UERM almost closed years ago and I dont think it will survive as a medical school. FEU might, due to its overall financial strength. In other words, some school will keep their med school even if they are losing revenues in that college.

point taken. I really do hope some of the big named schools do not close. I believe they do offer much more than some not well known provincial medical school. The passing rate in some of those schools are really bad. Then again i do understand we cannot stop these students/doctors from looking out to greener pastures.

Only because Cibo was asking about US residencies. I think new schools will emphasize the need to stay in the Philippines. If things don't improve there, I don't see the other schools surviving due to decreasing med school enrollment. Other than regional and state schools, very few school will survive in Metro Manila (like UP,PLM, UST, Ateneo). UERM almost closed years ago and I dont think it will survive as a medical school. FEU might, due to its overall financial strength. In other words, some school will keep their med school even if they are losing revenues in that college.

I doubt UERM will close with the amount of fil-ams applying and there $10,000

The $10,000 is only a one time fee. I don't really know if the school can survive on that. I hope UE does not close and student enrollment will eventually pick up (without sacrificing student quality of course). If UE will close, it will be a big blow to the medical school education in the country.

It almost did in the mid-90's. The thing that will save them is not the fil-am fees as they are a small minority but their HUGE BSN classes (Nursing) which is growing exponentially. Encouraging more fil-ams would definitely help them.

It almost did in the mid-90's. The thing that will save them is not the fil-am fees as they are a small minority but their HUGE BSN classes (Nursing) which is growing exponentially. Encouraging more fil-ams would definitely help them.

It almost did...again... 2 yrs ago ... apparently UERM alumni are willing to save the school and not the hospital.

It almost did...again... 2 yrs ago ... apparently UERM alumni are willing to save the school and not the hospital.

Holy crap... I am now choosing between UERM, CIM, CDU, and DMSF... Is UERM in real danger of closing? Should I consider one of the other 3 schools instead? HELP!

UE alumni would probably be more than willing to help support the school. Almost every year we do hear rumors of medical school closing down. So far, i think non has happened in metro manila yet. UE has been around for a very very long time. I think the alumni would definitely give support. (its just an opinion though). But personally i don't think it will close anytime soon.

then again, why talk about residency in the US?
Shouldn't we talk about providing doctors to our country first instead of talking about USMLE?
The number of doctors to be produced by ASMPH is not enough to cover for all the losses (in terms of the number of doctors) we have suffered.

A new medical school is a welcome addition. I do believe ADMU always produces good graduates and hopefully this medical school will also do good. I just hope they will stay in the country first.
I agree completely.

Does anyone know if it's difficult to get into asmph?

Again, the ONLY listing you need to consider if you have hopes of eventually getting licensed and practicing medicine in the United States of America is FAIMER.

You can take your chances by attending a medical school that is NOT recognized, at LEAST you are informed.