At what point do you just give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali sunshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Took MCAT a couple of days ago for the 2nd TIME!...don't feel as if i did well...can't go into the details due to the AAMC's signed agreement not to discuss the specifics of the exam.
Well, studied like crazy for about 4 months, mcat tutor, princeton review (classes for about 3 months), did 80% of the homework, took the AAMCs practice test (about 9 of them) and was doing pretty good....I was full of confidence and it was awful....

I decided to complete a post-bacc program and apply to medical school since the only reason why I didn't persue medical school was because I was told by my undergraduate admissions counselor that: 1. I had a terrible SAT score and needed remedial math and english classes just to do well on prereqs....so not to hope to do well in a BIO/CHEM major 2. I was a single mother of 2 kids (they are 15 and 16 years old now:)) so he recommended nursing school...of course I believed him...completed nursing school (03) but felt that I could be "close" to being a doctor by being a nurse practitioner...so I went and got my NP (graduated top of my class in 07) but obviously once I started working as an NP I realized the many limitations I had....and decided to complete the post-bacc program (12/10)
I have a good job as an NP and make good $$ but that's not what I wanted for myself but now I'm in a weird situation where....I have to decide...to give up...or not...I've invested so much money, time,....missed many of my kids activities due to exams, mcat classes, etc....
I'm starting to believe that the MCAT is a barrier to many non-traditional students who can become great physicians...

In need of support

Members don't see this ad.

First, welcome. Second, maybe we should wait til the score comes back before you get too freaked out.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet so I really can't comment on it, but if you were doing well and understanding the practice materials you might have a problem with the test itself. Did you practice under timed conditions, did you go over the answers you got wrong and try to understand where you went wrong, were you understanding the questions you got right or just getting lucky making educated guesses? I think those will be helpful questions if you didn't do as well as you think you should have. Still, I think it's worth holding off on stressing until the score comes back.

Hi all,

Took MCAT a couple of days ago for the 2nd TIME!...don't feel as if i did well...can't go into the details due to the AAMC's signed agreement not to discuss the specifics of the exam.
Well, studied like crazy for about 4 months, mcat tutor, princeton review (classes for about 3 months), did 80% of the homework, took the AAMCs practice test (about 9 of them) and was doing pretty good....I was full of confidence and it was awful....

I decided to complete a post-bacc program and apply to medical school since the only reason why I didn't persue medical school was because I was told by my undergraduate admissions counselor that: 1. I had a terrible SAT score and needed remedial math and english classes just to do well on prereqs....so not to hope to do well in a BIO/CHEM major 2. I was a single mother of 2 kids (they are 15 and 16 years old now:)) so he recommended nursing school...of course I believed him...completed nursing school (03) but felt that I could be "close" to being a doctor by being a nurse practitioner...so I went and got my NP (graduated top of my class in 07) but obviously once I started working as an NP I realized the many limitations I had....and decided to complete the post-bacc program (12/10)
I have a good job as an NP and make good $$ but that's not what I wanted for myself but now I'm in a weird situation where....I have to decide...to give up...or not...I've invested so much money, time,....missed many of my kids activities due to exams, mcat classes, etc....
I'm starting to believe that the MCAT is a barrier to many non-traditional students who can become great physicians...

In need of support

Well you certainly don't give up now! Go ahead and start your application (AMCAS and ACOMAS open up this week). Get your transcripts sent in for verification. That way you have at least put yourself at the front of the line.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a thread you might be interested in:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=529087

She's now finishing up her first year at Midwestern.

If you're looking for constructive criticism we would need a bit more details about your story/numbers or you can always post up in the "What are my chances?" forum, although if you're feeling anxious about your numbers I don't suggest trolling there just yet. It can make you extra crazy. :p

I know how painful the wait is for the mcat scores, especially the second time around. Hopefully you did just fine and good luck. :luck: