AT&T FirstNet Available for Emergency Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disasters are plagued with providers being unable to use their cell phones to communicate with one another. The federal government created a public safety network that has higher priority over traditional users. AT&T has implemented this as "FirstNet." If you're in a disaster area (or simply at a ball game where the network is congested), FirstNet users are given top priority for their data and calls to be routed. I've even heard some firefighters responsible for our communications say that AT&T will drop a call from a traditional user to let a FirstNet user go through.

I've had FirstNet for a little while as part of my role as medical director of a very large fire department. It seems the reception is better -- probably because it uses the 700 MHz spectrum of the LTE band.

This was traditionally reserved only for public safety officials, but several of our ER docs have been able to sign up for this. Makes sense that in case of disaster, one would need to get ahold of ER staff to see if they can respond.

Just a heads up (I'm getting no commission from AT&T) about FirstNet. You can find more info at an AT&T company store (not an authorized retailer) or online at firstnet.com. You'll have to show proof that you're an ER physician. Cost is $45/month for unlimited data/calls/texts and they have other plans available (oddly enough, the 5/6 GB/month plan is more expensive than the unlimited plan).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Disasters are plagued with providers being unable to use their cell phones to communicate with one another. The federal government created a public safety network that has higher priority over traditional users. AT&T has implemented this as "FirstNet." If you're in a disaster area (or simply at a ball game where the network is congested), FirstNet users are given top priority for their data and calls to be routed. I've even heard some firefighters responsible for our communications say that AT&T will drop a call from a traditional user to let a FirstNet user go through.

I've had FirstNet for a little while as part of my role as medical director of a very large fire department. It seems the reception is better -- probably because it uses the 700 MHz spectrum of the LTE band.

This was traditionally reserved only for public safety officials, but several of our ER docs have been able to sign up for this. Makes sense that in case of disaster, one would need to get ahold of ER staff to see if they can respond.

Just a heads up (I'm getting no commission from AT&T) about FirstNet. You can find more info at an AT&T company store (not an authorized retailer) or online at firstnet.com. You'll have to show proof that you're an ER physician. Cost is $45/month for unlimited data/calls/texts and they have other plans available (oddly enough, the 5/6 GB/month plan is more expensive than the unlimited plan).
It's really good! It's $40/month for unlimited talk/text/data, the extra $5 is optional if you want a hotspot. No contract. $30 activation fee. I'm an Android person but if you're an iPhone user, you can add your Apple watch for an extra $10 a month. Fyi, not all phones are Band 14 capable, Google to see if yours is. If yours is, make sure they get you the black sim. If not, get the orange sim, which will still give you good coverage and network prioritization. One of my attendings was just at a football game and simultaneously streaming another football game, lol, with excellent connection speed. This is def how the government intended us to use it. For sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wont let me apply using my existing number. did you guys change your phone number? or is there something else I can/should do?

will this work if your spouse is on your plan, or will there have to be two separate plans?

Does this include residents? Would they even be able to know the difference?

Wont let me apply using my existing number. did you guys change your phone number? or is there something else I can/should do?
You shouldn't have to change your number. Go to the store and talk to a human. Bring your work ID.

Verizon will only turn on the priority access on an as-needed basis in the setting of an identified public safety emergency, and says it can take up to 48 hours to do so. FirstNet is always on.
Interesting. Verizon's website says it's "always on.". I have no first hand knowledge though.

Atlanta hasn't had a problem since the freeway froze. I had to drive 10 miles to find a cell tower that worked after Dennis, it was small but the eye went right over me.

I prefer Google Fi. But that's just me.

I like their plan, particularly great for international travelers, as there is no international rates or fees. They’re not fully compatible with iPhones unfortunately, and my wife gets a huge corporate discount with Verizon, which is what prevents me from going to another carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer Google Fi. But that's just me.
My speed and ability to get a signal went waaaay up with FirstNet when I switched from Fi, still using the same phone. Mileage will vary according to location and building materials I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Doing a little research into this, and it seems like a great deal, which always makes me skeptical. A couple sticking points I’ve seen online in some forums that would be a big deal, wondering if anyone who has used Firstnet can attest to

1) people have mentioned that WiFi assisted calling is not available. Some of my hospitals, and even my house, have spotty cell service, and no WiFi calling could render me unreachable at times (probably more of an issue in the hospital with its thick walls and RF shielding. Presumably the network is much more robust, so home cell reception shouldn’t be as much of an issue- though you never know until you take the plunge and actually use it at your home)

2) some mention that all sorts of hidden extra fees brought the monthly cost up to around $80. Is this true, or are these people who signed up for it, then didn’t qualify as first responders/emergency personnel within 30 days, and were booted onto a regular AT&T plan?

Thanks

WiFi calling is now available. My FirstNet line uses WiFi calling and my traditional AT&T line uses a Microcell at home (we get a very poor signal). If you have a dual-SIM iPhone, you can select WiFi calling by line. I've made a few calls via WiFi on FirstNet. I think they added it last month.

Mine is $45/month. Has been that way for the past year. Maybe the $80 includes a financed phone?

Doing a little research into this, and it seems like a great deal, which always makes me skeptical. A couple sticking points I’ve seen online in some forums that would be a big deal, wondering if anyone who has used Firstnet can attest to

1) people have mentioned that WiFi assisted calling is not available. Some of my hospitals, and even my house, have spotty cell service, and no WiFi calling could render me unreachable at times (probably more of an issue in the hospital with its thick walls and RF shielding. Presumably the network is much more robust, so home cell reception shouldn’t be as much of an issue- though you never know until you take the plunge and actually use it at your home)

2) some mention that all sorts of hidden extra fees brought the monthly cost up to around $80. Is this true, or are these people who signed up for it, then didn’t qualify as first responders/emergency personnel within 30 days, and were booted onto a regular AT&T plan?

Thanks

I have a Pixel 3XL and Wifi calling works great both at home and at my hospital. I did read that other Android phones may not have it supported, but that info might be out of date by now. The phones that support Band 14 have better building penetration, so you may have better indoor service at work than you're used to.

My first bill was like $80 with activation and a partial month's charge. I'll try to remember to report back when the next bill is generated to see what it comes to after tax. My last several Google Fi bills had been around $53/month, so I think I'll still come out ahead since I'm on the $40/month plan.