Emergency Physician Group Seeks to Unionize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaholic06

Doctor, Who? Me?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
While I support their efforts against the hospital, I could see how unionization could just lead to another corrupt organization in bed with the government and the hospitals. It would be like ACEP, except with dues confiscated directly from our paychecks.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Given it a try and see what happens. I’ll be willing to throw in a bucj

While I support their efforts against the hospital, I could see how unionization could just lead to another corrupt organization in bed with the government and the hospitals. It would be like ACEP, except with dues confiscated directly from our paychecks.

"The devil you know" argument is one I'm usually ok with, but in this specific case all known devils are so awful and only getting worse it's hard to imagine a more corrupt system. At the very least it's a step away from the current inertia of cmgs swallowing us whole

I think a great thing with America is people can try things. Let these folks do it. They can report back on the good the bad and the ugly. Other employees can then decide what they want to do. The reality that this flies in the face of CPOM is what makes me super pissed.

Reactions: 2 users
I think a great thing with America is people can try things. Let these folks do it. They can report back on the good the bad and the ugly. Other employees can then decide what they want to do. The reality that this flies in the face of CPOM is what makes me super pissed.

What does this mean?

What does this mean?
I believe he’s referring to hospitals and CMGs blatantly violating state laws banning the corporate practice of medicine.

Is he mad that it is "permitted"?
Most states have laws against this. State legislators often are opposed to it but the attorney generals of the states just look the other way.

Much is written about it but a quick search shows this.

The basic premise is the divided loyalty and impaired confidence between the interests of a corporation and the needs of a patient. In practice, states with corporate practice of medicine laws permit formation and licensure of business corporations established as professional service corporations (but not a non-profit corporation) to practice medicine but only if controlled by physicians

Also some good info here.

For anyone who is so indoctrinated into the current system please do consider that lawyers and accountants havent been bastardized the same way medicine and EM has. Law firms are owned by lawyers, arent publicly traded etc. Those guys dont want to get abused.

Reactions: 3 users
Most states have laws against this. State legislators often are opposed to it but the attorney generals of the states just look the other way.

For anyone who is so indoctrinated into the current system please do consider that lawyers and accountants havent been bastardized the same way medicine and EM has. Law firms are owned by lawyers, arent publicly traded etc. Those guys dont want to get abused.
Yep and paralegals aren't taking lawyers jobs like the way midlevels are encroaching on physicians

Reactions: 1 user
Yep and paralegals aren't taking lawyers jobs like the way midlevels are encroaching on physicians

Isn't it interesting how the rules are different for those who make the rules?

• Love

I understand better now. I was reading your post incorrectly.

Any update on how this is going? Sounds like the union was voted for unanimously by all ED doctors

Any update on how this is going? Sounds like the union was voted for unanimously by all ED doctors
Probably all got fired and replaced by HCA grads