Asking LOR writers to revise old letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavalier95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to have at least one new LOR, from my PI who I also shadowed. But, should I email the LOR writers from last cycle and ask them to update the letter based on my experiences this past year, even though they were professors and I graduated almost a year ago?

Members don't see this ad.

like you, I didn't take any additional classes after graduation, the only thing that changed since the last application is that I am working full time as a dental assistant. I have emailed my professors that wrote me LORs last year and updated my status asking for another updated letter for the upcoming cycle.
as long as you have 1 new letter of rec from a recent professor or health professional I think you should be alright.

1 - Have them update the date at least
2 - As professors, if you're out of school, there isn't much about you they can speak to that's different from the first letter.. If you have got to know them better they may be able to refine comments about your personality and responsibility and how that'll serve you as a doctor, but if you want a letter really talking about a few new activities, you should get those from whoever oversees that.