Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello PCs/PDs,

Hope everyone is getting some time off this coming weekend.
I had a query. I heard from someone that the current address on ERAS contributes to the selection process for interviewing.
For non-us IMGs, we tend to stay in central areas or wherever we can find relatives/distant family contacts. So even for those of us who have an international address listed as our permanent address, does it matter where we are currently staying?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

SMFH. Every year we repeat this, and nobody looks back:

Letters don't mean anything. We get them all the time. I got one from a kid who forgot to change the institution name and referenced a previous resident. We reached out to that person who said he had never heard of the kid. Handwritten holds more weight, but no, give it another week or until Halloween-ish before initiating contact. We can not initiate contact with applicants beyond what we would otherwise send all invited candidates. Otherwise it shows favoritism.

MSPE's came out a week ago. Some programs might still be reviewing them. Everyone panicking about not hearing, chill. The system is in play, you can't change it and there isn't much you can do that will derail a program's train that has left the station.

I won't dissuade people from posting in this thread, but for the majority of questions, the answer is likely, "No, it doesn't make a difference"
I wish I could LOVE this...

Hello PC's/PD's,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our questions, this has been very helpful and informative.

What are your thoughts about an applicant faxing you a letter of interest? (either typed or handwritten)
Do you see it as a waste of ink/paper? Should we just stick to electronic mails instead?

TIA

Hello PC's/PD's,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our questions, this has been very helpful and informative.

What are your thoughts about an applicant faxing you a letter of interest? (either typed or handwritten)
Do you see it as a waste of ink/paper? Should we just stick to electronic mails instead?

TIA

What you need to do is get your flux capacitor fixed. Electronic email, fax, handwritten. Hell, just use a telex. If you can send a telegraph even better. And why even use this forum, bbs is where the secrets of the match exist (just kidding, that would be the pd forum here. Obviously by invite only)

If you were serious, read my reply NOT EVEN 48 hours ago.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What you need to do is get your flux capacitor fixed. Electronic email, fax, handwritten. Hell, just use a telex. If you can send a telegraph even better. And why even use this forum, bbs is where the secrets of the match exist (just kidding, that would be the pd forum here. Obviously by invite only)

If you were serious, read my reply NOT EVEN 48 hours ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. This online method really is much faster than sending a raven! No I was half-serious when I asked about faxing. I get your point though, I’ll wait till end of October before sending faxes. Thank you.

Hello PD and PC. Thank you in advance for your answer.
I went to an interview a few days ago and I think I did well and people there liked me. Nevertheless, my academic record is below average of what they are expecting/looking for, based on the average for that specialty. But my question is: if my interview went well and they liked me during the interview, can they overlook my below-average academic record and still give me a chance? Or will my academic record drag me down?
Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello PD and PC. Thank you in advance for your answer.
I went to an interview a few days ago and I think I did well and people there liked me. Nevertheless, my academic record is below average of what they are expecting/looking for, based on the average for that specialty. But my question is: if my interview went well and they liked me during the interview, can they overlook my below-average academic record and still give me a chance? Or will my academic record drag me down?
Thank you!!
Not pc or pd, but if you were offered an IV, the program was fine with your academic record.

Dear PC/PD first of all i would like to extend my thanks for taking time of your busy schedule and answering our silly questions.my questions is
“ I am visa requiring IMG who have gold medals in medical school with 3 years of home country residency in Asia and now working in Europe.I have 243 on step1, 264 on step2 CK , 238 on step 3, CS passed first attempt , and have done MRCP part 1 and part 2. I have never been out of practice even for one day . I have 3 interviews so far.What are my chances of getting into IM residency .? Should i write the PCs or PD my letter of interest.?
Seriously, read their posts....over and over and over they have said it’s too early to contact them ...this isn’t a WAMC thread...these PCs are being really nice to give their time here to answer legit questions...in this case there are silly questions...this is one of them.
You have posted basically the same question on different threads...cross posting is against the TOS that you signed when you joined SDN

Reactions: 2 users
Not pc or pd, but if you were offered an IV, the program was fine with your academic record.

thank you so much for your replay. I guess what worries me is that they might still not rank me because of academic records. That is an option still, isn't it?

Seriously, read their posts....over and over and over they have said it’s too early to contact them ...this isn’t a WAMC thread...these PCs are being really nice to give their time here to answer legit questions...in this case there are silly questions...this is one of them.
You have posted basically the same question on different threads...cross posting is against the TOS that you signed when you joined SDN

Whew, some of you all are pretty brutal on replies. How many times do you have to repeat something to a patient before they finally hear you? Are you just as exasperated with them as you are on this thread? Remember when you were going through the process and try to have some compassion for those who may be struggling through it now. And PD/PC...I'm sure the students are very appreciative of your replies, but also, no need to be rude. They're just trying to be a doctor and make a difference in this world :)

Dear PD/PCs,

Hi,
I am currently doing my off cycle pgy1 residency. I got it before this match season started (out of match position).
Since program was so far from my hometown, my spouse wanted me to participate in this match. TBH, I didn't expect any possibility to get interviews (I chose a few programs in my neighborhood to satisfy my spouse).
I got an interview from the program and I'd like to transfer or start again if I get matched this one. I don't know much about match regulations. Here are my concerns.

If I don't get matched -> no concern, just finish my current program. Glad that I got this, though it is too far.
If matched -> Decide to go to the new one -> best scenario is to transfer my residency in new program but I think it is not possible or very rare (I heard that there is funding issue). I might have to start from scratch. anyway I will start again if new program says it is still okay.
If I matched -> Decide to stay at current program -> Is it a match violation? I heard that we are kinda bind to contract if we matched.

Does anyone have experience in the third case?

1) can a out of match resident stick to old program even if the person were matched to new one? Or, as long as I tell the program no later than 45 days of start date of the contract, it is not a match violation and I can keep my position of pgy1.

2) If I do pgy1 again in a new program, is my funding from CMS limited until pgy2, (so total of 3 years old pgy1, new pgy1, and pgy2). I heard that new program would not be happy about it and they will not rank me on the list due to possible funding issue. But, I don't want to lie about it. I fell that I have to tell them during interview.

It would be very happy for both of us if I can work at the closer program, but I'd like to check whether it is okay to try this. Thank you

Whew, some of you all are pretty brutal on replies. How many times do you have to repeat something to a patient before they finally hear you? Are you just as exasperated with them as you are on this thread? Remember when you were going through the process and try to have some compassion for those who may be struggling through it now. And PD/PC...I'm sure the students are very appreciative of your replies, but also, no need to be rude. They're just trying to be a doctor and make a difference in this world :)

Residency is brutal...
If it takes that many times to get it, then intern year is gonna be rough... and people get dismissed if they continue to be unreachable... go review the “ I’ve been placed on probation or I have been dismissed” threads...

Last edited:
Dear PD/PCs,

Hi,
I am currently doing my off cycle pgy1 residency. I got it before this match season started (out of match position).
Since program was so far from my hometown, my spouse wanted me to participate in this match. TBH, I didn't expect any possibility to get interviews (I chose a few programs in my neighborhood to satisfy my spouse).
I got an interview from the program and I'd like to transfer or start again if I get matched this one. I don't know much about match regulations. Here are my concerns.

If I don't get matched -> no concern, just finish my current program. Glad that I got this, though it is too far.
If matched -> Decide to go to the new one -> best scenario is to transfer my residency in new program but I think it is not possible or very rare (I heard that there is funding issue). I might have to start from scratch. anyway I will start again if new program says it is still okay.
If I matched -> Decide to stay at current program -> Is it a match violation? I heard that we are kinda bind to contract if we matched.

Does anyone have experience in the third case?

1) can a out of match resident stick to old program even if the person were matched to new one? Or, as long as I tell the program no later than 45 days of start date of the contract, it is not a match violation and I can keep my position of pgy1.

2) If I do pgy1 again in a new program, is my funding from CMS limited until pgy2, (so total of 3 years old pgy1, new pgy1, and pgy2). I heard that new program would not be happy about it and they will not rank me on the list due to possible funding issue. But, I don't want to lie about it. I fell that I have to tell them during interview.

It would be very happy for both of us if I can work at the closer program, but I'd like to check whether it is okay to try this. Thank you

Have you told your current pd that you have applied to the match??!!

There is no such thing as a transfer of a residency spot... some people will get a pgy 2 position at a different place but they apply for it and then end their association with the previous program.
Sometimes that does require starting over.

Any program is going to want a letter from your current PD ... and if your PD doesn’t find out from you first... that could be sticky.

Also did your PD say you are guaranteed to keep your spot? Generally if they know that they are losing a resident, they want to fill that ASAP.

I almost want to make a new thread but don't want to clutter. I welcome PC's and the other PD's to edit or correct any of my views.

To most applicants for any field:

DO:
-wait patiently for invites. Programs are always slower than you think because we get flooded with tons of applicants and do our best to review applications beyond filters. Yes, many programs will put a filter in and be done with the list, but you won't know so don't sweat it and try to find a back door.
-be mindful and courteous of the PC's for your favorite programs. Don't badger them, and really don't even contact them unprompted.
-realize that PC and PD's know this is a game. We have the majority of the power on the front end. There is nothing you can do to change the rules of the game or alter the rules in your favor. You are powerless at the outset, and as much as you don't like it, it's how the system is set up.
-ask your friends (not here) before doing anything that you're uncertain about.
-ask your mentor (not your friends) before doing anything that you're uncertain about that your friends said should be ok
-go to the interview with proper clothes and haircuts. If you don't know what proper clothes are, ask your parents or mentors. Don't ask your co-students. PD's aren't looking for hip. They're looking for their version of "professional." If you've never seen an attending wear/do something you want to wear/do, think hard about it.
-recognize that you are still a medical student and are not entitled to anything. Dozens of American graduates don't match. Don't take anything for granted, even if you're a 99% USMLE.
-follow program recommendations. If a PD says not to send a thank you, don't. If they say nothing, send a handwritten one. It costs you a buck, and you never know when it might help.
-Inform any programs (or your favorites) of any updates to your application via email to PC.
-Email current residents (not the PD or PC) if you have further questions about the program. You can cc the PC if you want extra name-recognition, but address it to the resident. If you don't hear a response within, say, a week, reach out to the PC with the same question.
-Read ahead beyond the program website and ask about something in the area or the program nuance. "I saw on the local newspaper that the pumpkin festival is coming up. Is that a big thing around here, because near my med school they have one that has a really cool hay ride" or "I saw that this area is well known for its farmers market/sports culture/surfing competitions, have you ever been?" or "I saw that the program has abc. Why is abc here, when it's not too common, and how do you think it changes your resident's perspective on xyz? I would think that it would make xyz more applicable to the patient population" ie connect dots and don't just ask a question to fill space.
-Learn how to end an interview. If you're at a dead end, and the interviewer asks, "Any more questions?" end it properly. "No, the residents have been helpful, I've read a lot about the program. Honestly, it's not a sign of disinterest, I just have already had my generic and standard questions answered. I appreciate your time interviewing me, and what I like about this program is how abc exists here when other programs in the area don't have it."

DON'T:
-Think that letters/emails/communications of any sort mean anything beyond courtesy. We know it's a game and that you'll send emails out to people, and even if you know you're only sending one letter, we don't know this. Guess what, most of the letters are ignored or not taken seriously because we get so many of them.
-Name drop too much. If it's a current or former resident, let the PC/PD know that you talked to that person. But if you want to name drop 5 residents, other faculty, and professors from your college it will show a thin veil.
-Reach out for further communication if you haven't heard about an invite... until early November. If you have a compelling situation to request an interview, the program can likely fit you in. A generic reason, not so much. So if you do reach out, you'd better have a really good reason.
-Expect the sort of "job hunt" the regular world goes through. The NRMP and ERAS rules create an unnatural job hunt. Going by the rules, programs should not have any post-interview communication. Your post-interview emails are not being ignored.
-Think that trying to subvert your co-applicants during an interview will do anything favorable for you. It's the opposite, it shows us you're not a team player.
-act entitled to any program regardless of its "stature." It's a fast way to end up at the bottom of the pool post-interview, or even pre-interview. Don't burn bridges.
-Be difficult in scheduling. If you make the PC have to struggle to get you to respond in some way within 48 hours of their original email, don't be surprised that when you do respond that "all dates you chose are now full."
-Interview out of the book. Think of something more interesting than, "what changes are you planning?" "What kind of resident are you looking for?" "What do you like about this area?" "What do you like to do for fun?" or "What type of resident does well here?" Chances are you've only had one interview in your life: your med-school interview. Figure out from your non-medical friends and family how to interview as a conversation and not Q&A. If you have to read a book about how to interview, spend more time talking to mentors as a mini-interview. You need to sell yourself about why you are the person they're looking for, what you like about the area, or why you are the type of person who will do well there.
-Answer an interview question with a question (unless you're confused, in which state that you're not sure what they're asking).
-Worry about your clothes.... beyond letting them be standard wear. Men: navy or charcoal suit (black is for bankers or "the boss."). Women have more freedom, whether pantsuit, skirt, etc. Do worry more about shaving (or not, but no stubble. You either have a beard or you don't.), excess makeup, haircut, cologne/perfume (don't wear any).
-Expect a program to communicate too much with you. Too many rules for us to follow so we won't deviate beyond our standard practices. Some programs will be more communicative than others. It's easier to not communicate than remember all of the rules and navigate them.
-Worry if you don't meet the PD during an interview. It is uncommon but there is likely a reason. You don't need to post about it here. If you only interview with the APD('s) and the PC, then it is what it is. Go with your gut about the program vibe. A few programs have interviews with the PC, most don't. Go with the flow. Your PC is more critical to your residency experience than the PD, generally.
-Put all your mental effort into this whole thing. Focus more on your rotations and you well-being. Show up before you have to show up, act normal, use common sense (gulp). One year from now you won't look at this forum and you might realize your neurosis was for naught.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Question from PC and PD please.
When the program send the interviews and people get it so it means they are done and they are not going to send any more interviews in near future as someone told me that interviews are sent in cycles.
Thank you

Laila,
Some programs send only 1 set of invitations. Others send out a few here, a few later on. Some programs send out most in the beginning, then one or two to fill in when people cancel. All programs are different, with a different approach to how they facilitate recruitment.

Laila,
Some programs send only 1 set of invitations. Others send out a few here, a few later on. Some programs send out most in the beginning, then one or two to fill in when people cancel. All programs are different, with a different approach to how they facilitate recruitment.

I've seen some people get rejections from programs that I had applied to on the earliest date possible. Is there really any way to know if my app is still under consideration still vs. just yet to be seen because there are so many applications? Or is it silly for me to make any assumptions?

Altered,
You may be on a waitlist. You may not have been screened yet. They may not have sent you the rejection email yet. There is no real way of knowing. Don't make assumptions. Take hope you haven't heard yet. Be patient.

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I would like to find out who is interviewing me specifically on interview day. If it is not mentioned specifically on the website ( ex: PD) is it appropriate to email the PC and ask who would be interviewing me on interview day? And in terms of timing when would it be appropriate to do so?

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I would like to find out who is interviewing me specifically on interview day. If it is not mentioned specifically on the website ( ex: PD) is it appropriate to email the PC and ask who would be interviewing me on interview day? And in terms of timing when would it be appropriate to do so?
That depends. How far out are you from your interview? I don't create the individual schedules until about a week before the interview day, because so many schedule changes happen. So unless your interview is next week, I really can't tell you exactly who you'll be interviewing with. When I do create them early, I've had to make last minute changes, and then applicants are a bit annoyed (understandably) that they prepared to interview with faculty x, but instead, they're interviewing with someone they know nothing about. It's a tough one.

That depends. How far out are you from your interview? I don't create the individual schedules until about a week before the interview day, because so many schedule changes happen. So unless your interview is next week, I really can't tell you exactly who you'll be interviewing with. When I do create them early, I've had to make last minute changes, and then applicants are a bit annoyed (understandably) that they prepared to interview with faculty x, but instead, they're interviewing with someone they know nothing about. It's a tough one.

My first one is coming up in about a week. So generally ask about a week before the interview ( email program coordinator)? I also just want to make sure it is appropriate and fair to ask who will interview you and not have any repercussions for doing so.

Thank you for your response.

I think it'd be weird to ask, personally. We wouldn't mark you down for asking, but it'd be a little odd.

Remember, this is artificial.

In a real world job interview, you would know who you're meeting with (within reason)

I resigned from my residency program as a pgy2 and I’m applying to both open pgy2 and pgy1 positions. I had several interviews before and i think the program wasn’t a good fit for me and it wasn’t going iN the right direction. The program director said she wasn’t going to provide any information to outside programs. What should I do to
Increase my chances of matchin lg to better programs closer to home?
Bad sign that your PD is not doing to give any info...Programs are going to want to talk to your previous PD...you don’t have his/her support, that is going to be a BIG red flag

I searched this thread thoroughly and did not find an answer to this question.

I was filtered out (rejected) by a few programs early on due to lack of ecfmg certificate (explicitly stated in their rejections). I recently received my last test result and ECFMG certificate. I resent my USMLE Transcript to all of the programs that I applied to and my ECFMG status report has updated on ERAS the day the certificate was issued.

Is there a way to resubmit my application to the programs that initially rejected/filtered me or should I contact the PCs directly to update them about the certificate to get my application looked at this time around?

Thanks.

I searched this thread thoroughly and did not find an answer to this question.

I was filtered out (rejected) by a few programs early on due to lack of ecfmg certificate (explicitly stated in their rejections). I recently received my last test result and ECFMG certificate. I resent my USMLE Transcript to all of the programs that I applied to and my ECFMG status report has updated on ERAS the day the certificate was issued.

Is there a way to resubmit my application to the programs that initially rejected/filtered me or should I contact the PCs directly to update them about the certificate to get my application looked at this time around?

Thanks.
Contact them directly. Probably low yield, but also very low risk.

Hello PC/PD,
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I wanted to get your opinion on the following:
I did observership at a university hospital and even though they don't take IMGs very often and my credentials aren't that great, I requested two of the residents I worked with to put in a word to the PC/PD on my behalf.
I was wondering if it would be okay/helpful if I asked more of residents/fellows to do so as well? or will that be too much?

Thank you for your time

Hello PC/PD,
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I wanted to get your opinion on the following:
I did observership at a university hospital and even though they don't take IMGs very often and my credentials aren't that great, I requested two of the residents I worked with to put in a word to the PC/PD on my behalf.
I was wondering if it would be okay/helpful if I asked more of residents/fellows to do so as well? or will that be too much?

Thank you for your time
I presume you asked the residents who knew you best to put in the goodness word. If this wasn’t good enough to get you an invite, I don’t know why the person with the 3rd best opinion would make a difference.

It may not hurt, but honestly I think the program is gonna pass no matter what you do if they don’t take IMGs often.

Hello PCs, PDs and Attendings,

To begin with - THANK YOU for helping us out in these anxious times and it means a lot to have information from a genuine trustworthy source.

My dilemma is - I am a non-US IMG with low Step 1 (200s) but made a 35 points jump with my CK and passed CS in first attempt. I graduated in 2018 and I have done USCE with good LORs from this year itself. Additionally, I rank in top 10% of my medical school with excellence certificates and a strong LOR from home school. I have applied broadly with a good mix of mid-low tier, affiliated and community programs. I have just received 1 IV till now.

Should I panic? Should I put myself down because of my Step 1 or will my profile make up for it? I've tried my best to make up for it without wasting time. I have very good publications which are PubMed indexed and I am also working as a research trainee at one of the best hospitals in the US.

What are my chances?

I presume you asked the residents who knew you best to put in the goodness word. If this wasn’t good enough to get you an invite, I don’t know why the person with the 3rd best opinion would make a difference.

It may not hurt, but honestly I think the program is gonna pass no matter what you do if they don’t take IMGs often.

I asked the two IM residents I worked with. I also worked with some fellows so I was wondering if asking one of them would help considering:
a- they are senior in position
b- they graduated from the IM program at the same hospital as well.
As for getting the interview, yes I do not have very high hopes. I guess I am asking because I wanted to make sure I put in an effort at least.

Follow up question to this-
My first observership was in an IM subspecialty. I have a probable opportunity to go back to that hospital and do an observership in the IM department. I was wondering if doing that would maybe get me a slightly better shot at getting a call from them?
Or do I just give up on them and try to look for other places to get observerships at?
(right now I am just waiting for interview calls and not really doing a lot with my time)

I asked the two IM residents I worked with. I also worked with some fellows so I was wondering if asking one of them would help considering:
a- they are senior in position
b- they graduated from the IM program at the same hospital as well.
As for getting the interview, yes I do not have very high hopes. I guess I am asking because I wanted to make sure I put in an effort at least.

Follow up question to this-
My first observership was in an IM subspecialty. I have a probable opportunity to go back to that hospital and do an observership in the IM department. I was wondering if doing that would maybe get me a slightly better shot at getting a call from them?
Or do I just give up on them and try to look for other places to get observerships at?
(right now I am just waiting for interview calls and not really doing a lot with my time)
If the program doesn't take IMGs and your application isn't amazing, then unless you were stellar on your observership and the fellows are able to say something glowing, then I really think you're wasting your time asking the fellows. That said, if you have literally nothing better to do with your time and you're worrying late at night about "doing everything you can," then it's unlikely to hurt.

For the follow up question, again, if the program doesn't take IMGs, then you would need a truly stellar observership to convince them to interview you--and most observerships won't put you in position to look "stellar." If you could potentially get another new LOR in case the worst happens and you're applying again next year, then it's not a waste of time, but I would not bank on it changing your outcome for this year at this program. Honestly, it is likely late in the day to do anything that will improve your outlook for this year, so while you should continue to be hopeful because your stats aren't terrible, at the same time you should cover your bases and start looking through the lens of doing things that will improve your application in case you reapply next year.

Hello PCs, PDs and Attendings,

To begin with - THANK YOU for helping us out in these anxious times and it means a lot to have information from a genuine trustworthy source.

My dilemma is - I am a non-US IMG with low Step 1 (200s) but made a 35 points jump with my CK and passed CS in first attempt. I graduated in 2018 and I have done USCE with good LORs from this year itself. Additionally, I rank in top 10% of my medical school with excellence certificates and a strong LOR from home school. I have applied broadly with a good mix of mid-low tier, affiliated and community programs. I have just received 1 IV till now.

Should I panic? Should I put myself down because of my Step 1 or will my profile make up for it? I've tried my best to make up for it without wasting time. I have very good publications which are PubMed indexed and I am also working as a research trainee at one of the best hospitals in the US.

What are my chances?
I hate to say this, but if a program screens based on your step 1 score then none of the other stuff matters--you're not going to get an invite because they're never going to read the rest of your app.

That said, it just takes one interview, so if you make as good an application in person as your profile would seem to suggest (ie go-getter, learns from your mistakes, etc), then you have a chance. If there are any programs on your list where you have a connection or have taken grads from your school recently, this would be the time to try and have them reach out on your behalf.

I hate to say this, but if a program screens based on your step 1 score then none of the other stuff matters--you're not going to get an invite because they're never going to read the rest of your app.

That said, it just takes one interview, so if you make as good an application in person as your profile would seem to suggest (ie go-getter, learns from your mistakes, etc), then you have a chance. If there are any programs on your list where you have a connection or have taken grads from your school recently, this would be the time to try and have them reach out on your behalf.

Thank you for the feedback! Absolutely - one interview in hand is all that matters. Thank you so much for your support.

If the program doesn't take IMGs and your application isn't amazing, then unless you were stellar on your observership and the fellows are able to say something glowing, then I really think you're wasting your time asking the fellows. That said, if you have literally nothing better to do with your time and you're worrying late at night about "doing everything you can," then it's unlikely to hurt.

For the follow up question, again, if the program doesn't take IMGs, then you would need a truly stellar observership to convince them to interview you--and most observerships won't put you in position to look "stellar." If you could potentially get another new LOR in case the worst happens and you're applying again next year, then it's not a waste of time, but I would not bank on it changing your outcome for this year at this program. Honestly, it is likely late in the day to do anything that will improve your outlook for this year, so while you should continue to be hopeful because your stats aren't terrible, at the same time you should cover your bases and start looking through the lens of doing things that will improve your application in case you reapply next year.

Thank you for all your advice, I will keep this in mind as I try to plan out my next steps.

PDs and PCs thanks again for your help this year and in previous years.

I have had small interactions with a few PDs at regional conferences that I've attended in the past 2 years and have been memorable enough that they always recognize me and greet me. At the last conference I attended earlier this year I mentioned to some of the PDs individually that I was going to be in this year's match and interested in their program. A few told me to email them directly, and have given me their cards/emails, when I put my application in. While I haven't reached out directly (yet), I have not been offered interviews at their programs or been rejected, I'm assuming they are still reviewing applications, my applications were submitted on time. Should I reach out to these PDs directly now, especially now that my ECFMG certificate has arrived as of a few days ago? Also, I may see some of them in an upcoming regional conference, would it be better to wait and approach them in person if they are there? Both? Thank you.

I have had small interactions with a few PDs at regional conferences that I've attended in the past 2 years and have been memorable enough that they always recognize me and greet me. At the last conference I attended earlier this year I mentioned to some of the PDs individually that I was going to be in this year's match and interested in their program. A few told me to email them directly, and have given me their cards/emails, when I put my application in. While I haven't reached out directly (yet), I have not been offered interviews at their programs or been rejected, I'm assuming they are still reviewing applications, my applications were submitted on time. Should I reach out to these PDs directly now, especially now that my ECFMG certificate has arrived as of a few days ago? Also, I may see some of them in an upcoming regional conference, would it be better to wait and approach them in person if they are there? Both? Thank you.
Here I would reach out...they recognize you and have given you a way to contact.

They gave you permission to contact them directly, but while they may recognize your face when they see you at a conference they're not going to recognize your name on a list of hundreds of applicants without a reminder. Email now.

Hi, I'm wondering if I should do a second look and if it would help my chances. I just interviewed and, in my immediate post-interview anxiety, I wondered if I should do a second look to show interest in the program. I got the following message post-interview and I'm just wondering if it's a subtle suggestion to do a second look or am I just letting the pre-match anxiety get to me?

"On behalf of our attendings, our residents, staff, and myself I would like to reiterate how delightful it was to meet you. We hope you found your interview experience at Stony Brook to be both pleasant and informative.

If you should be interested in coming back for a "second look" (though it's certainly not required for you to do so), please feel free to contact me to make the arrangements.

We can design a day around what you would like to focus on - totally low-key and casual.
Whether I have the pleasure of hearing back from you or not, please be assured that you are wished the very best in the upcoming match!"

@Gilgamesh417 We always consider those who come for a second look as ones who are actually interested in our program. If you have no interest, don't go. If you do, make the arrangements to go, sometime later in the season. By that time, you have been on a few more interviews, and will have a better idea of what you want, and what to look for, to see if you will be a good fit.

@Gilgamesh417 We always consider those who come for a second look as ones who are actually interested in our program. If you have no interest, don't go. If you do, make the arrangements to go, sometime later in the season. By that time, you have been on a few more interviews, and will have a better idea of what you want, and what to look for, to see if you will be a good fit.

Thanks. I absolutely want to go, it's in my top two. Would January be a good time to schedule a second look?

Normally, that is when the bulk of ours appear. but, we are done interviewing in December, so the timing is kinda program specific, dependent on their schedules.

Normally, that is when the bulk of ours appear. but, we are done interviewing in December, so the timing is kinda program specific, dependent on their schedules.

I agree. Coming back for a closer look, especially a month or two after your interview definitely shows interest. That being said, we try to be sensitive to the costs of coming back for closer looks. So our selection committee and program director do not know if or who came back for a closer look, to try to be fair to applicants who can't afford the additional travel. Ours is designed to really be FOR the applicants to come back and get a better sense of us, rather than the other way around.

Hi PDs! I am a non-US IMG and a current research fellow. My mentor (who is very well-known) has tried to call some programs to speak with the PD and recommend me. Nevertheless, none of them answer, he has left VMs and none of them call back. It is sad to know that he is really trying to help me while having a very busy schedule, but no PDs or coordinators answer the phone. What is the best way for him to reach out?? Do you listen to VMs or just erase and ignore all calls? If he writes an email will it work or will it just be erased with all of the LOIs that candidates send?? How frustrating

Hi PDs! I am a non-US IMG and a current research fellow. My mentor (who is very well-known) has tried to call some programs to speak with the PD and recommend me. Nevertheless, none of them answer, he has left VMs and none of them call back. It is sad to know that he is really trying to help me while having a very busy schedule, but no PDs or coordinators answer the phone. What is the best way for him to reach out?? Do you listen to VMs or just erase and ignore all calls? If he writes an email will it work or will it just be erased with all of the LOIs that candidates send?? How frustrating
Having people reach out for your usually is helpful if that person is already known to the PD.
I’m sure they don’t ignore emails of phone calls from them...but some random person?

Just to follow up: Again, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. If you recall I was concerned about failing Pediatrics due to not meeting the cutoff for passing evaluations (but getting honors in the shelf and misc assignments). So far, things are looking good for my FM (two honors evals). I'm just waiting for the last FM eval for my final FM grade. Honored the FM shelf.

I'm currently on IM, and things are turning out pretty good too. Haven't got any evals yet, but i've been making improvements. As for the rest of my app so far: Step 1 (263), all honors preclinicals, no research yet.

My question is, will I run into issues with getting screened out for the 1 failing grade in pediatrics, if for example I manage to do fine the rest of my M3 year, decent Step 2, etc. ?

What did you do to fail the evaluations? that’s usually the easy part to at least get a B or something

What did you do to fail the evaluations? that’s usually the easy part to at least get a B or something

I didn't do anything outrageous at all. My first eval from my first attending, was scathing and the numerical score from it weighed down everything else to 1.5% below the cut off. Also, the rest of my evals gave me mediocre numerical scores in general. I've heard the pedes department in my school has a reputation for being stringent on the numerical grading on the evaluation. I have a post about it here: Failed first rotation, looking for advice.

I mean, I'm not going to say that I deserved a high grade, and that I was an excellent student. However, for my first rotation in a specialty that involves more nuanced interviewing (pediatric milestones, other developmental stuff, etc.) I felt that my expectations were a bit high for an M3 just starting their rotation.

Also, I would have atleast passed over the cut off if the senior resident who I worked with for inpatient pedes actually completed the eval. I worked my ass off, got up at 4:30 AM every day for 3 weeks to write progress notes, preround with them, present patients on rounds, the whole inpatient thing. Didn't even get her eval at the end of it.

Hello,

I've been struggling with something and I need some help. I'm an IMG with an attempt in CS. This season, I've gotten some IVs and I'm unsure how to address the CS failure during my interviews. I took responsibility for the failure in my personal statement, but having a face-to-face interaction on the issue is something I don't know how to handle.
Is there a professional way to talk about this? Maybe pivot the discussion to what I've learned. One part of me wants to be brutally honest and say I don't why I failed even though I gave it my best shot.
Can those who've been on the other side of the table help me spin this?
Thank you for your time

Just to follow up: Again, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. If you recall I was concerned about failing Pediatrics due to not meeting the cutoff for passing evaluations (but getting honors in the shelf and misc assignments). So far, things are looking good for my FM (two honors evals). I'm just waiting for the last FM eval for my final FM grade. Honored the FM shelf.

I'm currently on IM, and things are turning out pretty good too. Haven't got any evals yet, but i've been making improvements. As for the rest of my app so far: Step 1 (263), all honors preclinicals, no research yet.

My question is, will I run into issues with getting screened out for the 1 failing grade in pediatrics, if for example I manage to do fine the rest of my M3 year, decent Step 2, etc. ?
I didn't do anything outrageous at all. My first eval from my first attending, was scathing and the numerical score from it weighed down everything else to 1.5% below the cut off. Also, the rest of my evals gave me mediocre numerical scores in general. I've heard the pedes department in my school has a reputation for being stringent on the numerical grading on the evaluation. I have a post about it here: Failed first rotation, looking for advice.

I mean, I'm not going to say that I deserved a high grade, and that I was an excellent student. However, for my first rotation in a specialty that involves more nuanced interviewing (pediatric milestones, other developmental stuff, etc.) I felt that my expectations were a bit high for an M3 just starting their rotation.

Also, I would have atleast passed over the cut off if the senior resident who I worked with for inpatient pedes actually completed the eval. I worked my ass off, got up at 4:30 AM every day for 3 weeks to write progress notes, preround with them, present patients on rounds, the whole inpatient thing. Didn't even get her eval at the end of it.
You've posted a variant of this question multiple times now. I don't think there's anything that we can say at this point that is going to ease your concerns.

There is no one answer when someone asks "will I be screened out for X," because each program decides on their own how to screen their applications. Some programs may screen you out because of a failed clerkship. Others won't and will give you an interview based on how strong the rest of your application is. All you can do is do your best going forward, and maybe apply slightly more broadly than you would have without having a fail on your transcript.

Finally, as others have said in your thread, when you're asked about this in an interview setting definitely don't say that you failed for "nothing outrageous at all." You may well be correct that you just got screwed by a subjective evaluation, but taking that stance really does not come across well. The only answer is, "I had X problem on my peds rotation, I took it as a learning experience, and I performed much better on the rest of my rotations with glowing evaluations."