Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EDIT:
---
Adding more context: Have already told the program coordinator that I will be changing my name and will be submitting name change court order. So I will graduate with new name. In the meantime started the FCVS process with old name/current name, submitted all docs bearing the same name. I have not yet changed the driver's license, SS card or passport, will be doing that shortly. I guess what I'm wondering is when I start the TX medical license application on their official website, should I start with the new name so when they verify with FCVS, they would be satisfied seeing that I've submitted the proof of name change to FCVS.
---
Dear PC/PD/Fellow MDs,
I would appreciate any input on the name change matter. I've the court order in hand and started the FCS process with the old name (same name as on all med. school documents, birth certificate etc. As part of the FCVS process, it instructs the applicant to send in the notarized Certificate of Identification which I did with old name. I uploaded the name change court order and provided the variation in name in Name section of FCVS. I check with the FCVS customer service and that's what they told me to do.

Now moving on to UA (Universal Application) from FSMB, it's asking again for Certificate of Identification just like FCVS but I'm thinking when I apply for Texas license on their official website, they are supposed to pull in information from UA and FCVS, I would like to have the new name on my license or said another way I would like to be licensed as the New Name.

Has anyone gone through similar situation and can share your thoughts, I would be grateful.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, happy to clarify. Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi PD/PCs out there, can't tell you how much I'd appreciate your input. I'm a 4th year DO student who's going for emergency medicine. My school has essentially nothing in the way of advising so I've been largely going it alone and have made some missteps along the way.

First off, I didn't take USMLE Step 1 which caused issues getting aways, but after a lot of leg work I have 4 secured (2 during interview season but oh well). My COMLEX Level 1 did not go well and I scored just under 500, also caused issues. Clinical rotations all went very well, I honored in a few (top 15% on shelf/comat), have no professionalism issues or other red flags, and have been told that I "present well" (which I equate to good clinical performance/interviewing/letters).

I studied hard for Level 2 and on the advice of several people I met at ACEP last year, also took Step 2. Level 2 went awesome, I made a 130 point jump from my Level 1 putting myself in the mid-600s, couldn't be happier. However, I just got my Step 2 score back. It's garbage. Mid-220s. Over 10 points below where UWSA put me. I'd be fine if it was Step 1 but alas, it's not.

So now my question is do I release this score? I would of course answer honestly if asked about it in interviews, but I really don't need yet another things to get screened out with! I'm quite aware that EM is a stretch for me and fully intend to apply broadly and to very DO friendly programs. Is it better to show that I took a USMLE exam and passed, or to just show that I made serious improvements on COMLEX?

Thanks!!

Hi,

Firstly thank you so much for reading and responding! I've read through this thread and found it tremendously helpful.

I have some specific nuances to questions that have been asked previously but would like some further clarification. Your answers and insight are very much appreciated!

1. Do most programs have filters for both Step 1 and 2? I scored below average on Step 1 (210's) but am hoping to make it up for Step 2 (will receive score in a couple of weeks, UWSA's average in 240's).

2. What’s the consensus of reporting away rotations on ERAS? I’m a DO student and our MSPEs only have 3rd year rotations. My transcript will be sent mid-September and will only have my first away rotation. The rest will not be visible to PD’s.

3. Another thing - my aways are all located in the same state (West Coast). Will this reflect poorly when PD’s from east coast see such a location-centric application? (Born raised undergrad and med school all in West Coast).

Thank you.
1. Honestly, each program is different and you're unlikely to get a straight answer from them. Apply broadly to programs that don't list a step 1 cutoff on their website, and if there are particular programs that you want to apply to even if they list a cutoff have a good reason for doing so.

2. I'm not sure what you're asking... if you're asking if you should merely report that you have some additional away rotations scheduled, I wouldn't bother because anyone can schedule an away rotation. If you get an additional letter or something from an away rotation later, naturally you can upload that to ERAS later.

3. If you're not "reporting" your away rotations per 2, this shouldn't be an issue.
Hi PD/PCs out there, can't tell you how much I'd appreciate your input. I'm a 4th year DO student who's going for emergency medicine. My school has essentially nothing in the way of advising so I've been largely going it alone and have made some missteps along the way.

First off, I didn't take USMLE Step 1 which caused issues getting aways, but after a lot of leg work I have 4 secured (2 during interview season but oh well). My COMLEX Level 1 did not go well and I scored just under 500, also caused issues. Clinical rotations all went very well, I honored in a few (top 15% on shelf/comat), have no professionalism issues or other red flags, and have been told that I "present well" (which I equate to good clinical performance/interviewing/letters).

I studied hard for Level 2 and on the advice of several people I met at ACEP last year, also took Step 2. Level 2 went awesome, I made a 130 point jump from my Level 1 putting myself in the mid-600s, couldn't be happier. However, I just got my Step 2 score back. It's garbage. Mid-220s. Over 10 points below where UWSA put me. I'd be fine if it was Step 1 but alas, it's not.

So now my question is do I release this score? I would of course answer honestly if asked about it in interviews, but I really don't need yet another things to get screened out with! I'm quite aware that EM is a stretch for me and fully intend to apply broadly and to very DO friendly programs. Is it better to show that I took a USMLE exam and passed, or to just show that I made serious improvements on COMLEX?

Thanks!!
Honestly don't know the answer to this question. Since you don't have much advising at your school, maybe ask some recent grads who matched EM to see what their perspective is. You may also want to re-post this question elsewhere.

FYI, the OP hasn't responded to a question on this thread in 3 years, and several of our other active PCs have also moved on (see @mcl 's retirement on the last page).

If there are any other PCs out there willing and interested to take up the mantle of responding to this thread, please let me know, but for now I'm going to retire this thread since it seems like questions are mostly going unanswered. Thanks again to our amazing PCs who have made this such a helpful thread over the years!

Reactions: 1 users
I realize that your first instinct is to panic when you see what seems to be everybody else getting invites, and you don't have as many. Don't panic. Please, don't panic. At this institution, a lot of the programs do send out their first "wave" of invites in September, with interview days in October, November and December....but there are quite a few that don't start sending until November for January interviews. It could be that the program(s) you have applied to are just a little slower in getting things rolled out.

When to panic? I would say that if you have not heard from any programs by the end of September. Most everybody should be sending out invites by then. (unless they are just not going to send until later...see above)

I would wait until the first week of October to start with the "why haven't you invited me yet" email. That is usually when the PC has a chance to catch their breath, and the selection committee is going back thru the applications.

And, to let you know....most of the ones who have matched with our program over the years, had an improved Step 2. (and a few with a "subpar" Step 1) You say you have strong letters? Then I feel like you stand a decent enough chance to match.

Reactions: 4 users
Fellow PC here. I'd also pay attention to program deadlines. Ours isn't until October 1, when we receive MSPEs, so we don't even start reviewing applications until then. Nothing to worry about, we just take a bit longer than other programs.

Also wanted to echo previous comment: improved scores demonstrate capacity for growth, which we are definitely looking for in applicants. With strong letters and otherwise strong clinical marks and you should have nothing to worry about.

I realize that your first instinct is to panic when you see what seems to be everybody else getting invites, and you don't have as many. Don't panic. Please, don't panic. At this institution, a lot of the programs do send out their first "wave" of invites in September, with interview days in October, November and December....but there are quite a few that don't start sending until November for January interviews. It could be that the program(s) you have applied to are just a little slower in getting things rolled out.

When to panic? I would say that if you have not heard from any programs by the end of September. Most everybody should be sending out invites by then. (unless they are just not going to send until later...see above)

I would wait until the first week of October to start with the "why haven't you invited me yet" email. That is usually when the PC has a chance to catch their breath, and the selection committee is going back thru the applications.

And, to let you know....most of the ones who have matched with our program over the years, had an improved Step 2. (and a few with a "subpar" Step 1) You say you have strong letters? Then I feel like you stand a decent enough chance to match.
I’d go longer than the first week in October. Especially because as mentioned above, some programs don’t start reviewing applications til after 10/1.

Hello program coordinators!

I'm a non-US IMG. I have applied to the Match 2020, Internal Medicine.
YOG 2016
Step 1 223
Step 2 241
Step 2 CS Pass
All at first attempt
1 year post-doctoral research fellowship
Currently PGY3 in an ACGME-I Internal Medicine residency
4 publications, including 1 basic sciences book chapter
1 USCE
3 poster presentations
1 oral abstract presentation

My issue is that I did not include my USCE in the work experience part of my CV. I have an LoR from the university hospital where I rotated, and I updated my personal statement with a line outlining my experience. However, it was not included in the work experience part of the CV.

I just wanted to know if this severely hurts my chances, and if the program coordinators read through the entire file before deciding on an interview (i.e if they read the LoR, they would know about my USCE)

Freaking out at the moment.

Hi everyone, I must be one of the few (if not only) people that had read through the whole 37 pages of this thread lol. Thanks for all the useful suggestions and for reviving this thread for this year! I have one question!

I am non-US IMG. I applied to Internal medicine two years ago, had 5 interviews, and unfortunately did not match. (I have low scores, passed all of them at 1st attempt)
Step 1: 212
Step 2 CK: 222
Step 2 CS: Passed
YOG: 10/2015
5 USCE

When I didn´t match I was teaching at my medical school. I have been working really hard to improve my CV. I passed Step 3, I applied to a 10-month Clinical Research Program at Harvard and got accepted so I moved to Boston. While completing this course I was fortunate to interview with the founder and director emeritus of a Cardiology Subspecialty Department in MGH and offered me a postdoctoral research fellowship only if I committed for two years, so I accepted and that´s why I did not apply last year. I have been working as a postdoc with him for one year and shadowing hin in the clinic one whole day per week. I also completed a 9-month applied biostats course at Harvard, presented 2 posters and wrote 6 manuscripts so far. My PI is very kind and wrote me a great LOR for this season. I have 1 IV so far, and really hoping that I can get more IVs than what I received two years ago, I have worked really hard and my wife was also offered a postdoc position at MGH so I can´t go unmatched this year.

I would really like to IV in the places I interviewed last time. Do you think I should write them an e-mail saying that I interviewed there before and that I have been working very hard to improve my CV and I would really like to interview there again? Or should I just tell them that I am interested in the program and NOT mention that I interviewed there before? Do you think if they type my name in their system they will know that I interviewed there before and therefore is better telling them upfront the truth? Is showing my continued interest in their program a good thing?

Thank you so much!

I would really like to IV in the places I interviewed last time. Do you think I should write them an e-mail saying that I interviewed there before and that I have been working very hard to improve my CV and I would really like to interview there again? Or should I just tell them that I am interested in the program and NOT mention that I interviewed there before? Do you think if they type my name in their system they will know that I interviewed there before and therefore is better telling them upfront the truth? Is showing my continued interest in their program a good thing?
First of all, it's too early to reach out to programs trying to get extra interviews. The application only opened 10 days ago. Give them a week or two into October to get the MSPEs and complete their first pass of all their applications before contacting programs.

Second of all, I have no clue whether they would have a "system" that will tell them that you interviewed previously, but if you do reach out to programs I'd probably be honest and say you interviewed previously and what you've done to improve your application. Even if they don't have a "system" there's a decent chance that they would remember you when you showed up. You could enumerate the reasons you felt that their program would have been a great fit for you when you interviewed and what you've done that would make you a good fit for them. That would make the message seem more personalized, and less like a generalized "hi I'm desperate for more interviews" message that I'm sure they receive from tons of applicants each season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
First of all, it's too early to reach out to programs trying to get extra interviews. The application only opened 10 days ago. Give them a week or two into October to get the MSPEs and complete their first pass of all their applications before contacting programs.

Second of all, I have no clue whether they would have a "system" that will tell them that you interviewed previously, but if you do reach out to programs I'd probably be honest and say you interviewed previously and what you've done to improve your application. Even if they don't have a "system" there's a decent chance that they would remember you when you showed up. You could enumerate the reasons you felt that their program would have been a great fit for you when you interviewed and what you've done that would make you a good fit for them. That would make the message seem more personalized, and less like a generalized "hi I'm desperate for more interviews" message that I'm sure they receive from tons of applicants each season.

Thank you so much for your input! I will take this into account!
Btw, go Celtics!

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for setting up this thread. I'm an IMG applying for this year's match. I erroneously entered my month/year of graduation from medical school as 05/2015 instead of 07/2015 on myERAS application. How much of a problem is this? Should I contact ERAS/PD/PCs and inform them about this mistake? Is it going to have any future repercussions? I'm really freaking out.

Hello, I am a current MS4 and at a top-tier medical school. Step 1 244. I submitted my ERAS a few days ago due to me being in the hospital for the majority of this month. I also have only one of my letters submitted currently. The others will be submitted within the next few weeks.

I'm now worried that my application will be overlooked because of 1) late submission and/or 2) incomplete application. I initially applied to 32 programs, but now have brought that number up to 46.

My question is, will programs write me off because of this? Will they think I'm not interested? What are my chances of receiving interviews?

Hello, I am a current MS4 and at a top-tier medical school. Step 1 244. I submitted my ERAS a few days ago due to me being in the hospital for the majority of this month. I also have only one of my letters submitted currently. The others will be submitted within the next few weeks.

I'm now worried that my application will be overlooked because of 1) late submission and/or 2) incomplete application. I initially applied to 32 programs, but now have brought that number up to 46.

My question is, will programs write me off because of this? Will they think I'm not interested? What are my chances of receiving interviews?
The late submission PROBABLY isn't that big of a deal--you're not THAT late, MSPE hasn't come out yet... it's not like it's October quite yet. I worry that the fact that your app is still incomplete is a MAJOR problem, because there are probably a few programs that will filter based on your app being incomplete and won't review you until later--not all, but some.

Harass your letter writers as much as possible to get your app complete ASAP. Then once your app is complete, email all of your programs and explain why you're a little behind. The programs may understand if they understand your situation, but without any of that background I think you're likely to be one of their last reviewed applications, and thus they may have given away most of their interview invites by the time they reach your app.

How big of a deal this will ultimately be probably depends on your specialty of choice.

Reactions: 1 user
The late submission PROBABLY isn't that big of a deal--you're not THAT late, MSPE hasn't come out yet... it's not like it's October quite yet. I worry that the fact that your app is still incomplete is a MAJOR problem, because there are probably a few programs that will filter based on your app being incomplete and won't review you until later--not all, but some.

Harass your letter writers as much as possible to get your app complete ASAP. Then once your app is complete, email all of your programs and explain why you're a little behind. The programs may understand if they understand your situation, but without any of that background I think you're likely to be one of their last reviewed applications, and thus they may have given away most of their interview invites by the time they reach your app.

How big of a deal this will ultimately be probably depends on your specialty of choice.

Thank you very much for reply. I was able to get 3/4 interviews I'm by today. Am I in an okay position?

Thank you very much for reply. I was able to get 3/4 interviews I'm by today. Am I in an okay position?
... letters in by today? you got some interview invites today? I don't think your message came through exactly how you intended...

I'm guessing you got 3 letters in by today, which isn't ideal but isn't terrible either. I suspect you don't need to do anything specific at this point, and hopefully you'll get interviews even if you get them a little later than you would have hoped.

... letters in by today? you got some interview invites today? I don't think your message came through exactly how you intended...

I'm guessing you got 3 letters in by today, which isn't ideal but isn't terrible either. I suspect you don't need to do anything specific at this point, and hopefully you'll get interviews even if you get them a little later than you would have hoped.

My apologies. I meant my letters.
Again, thank you for your input.
All I can do now is wait and see how things go.

@SimonGuyman133 I would not super stress over this at this point. If, after a year and 3 months (approximately) that is the only negative on your MSPE, you are good. Unless you change and decide to go into Pedi, then it might be an issue. There have been times when an MSPE has come thru with a failed rotation. The only time someone was rejected because of it was because it was the rotation of the specialty they were applying for! Wait, I misspoke. There were a few that were rejected because the rest of the MSPE had a recurring theme of something, like not being prepared, lack of medical knowledge, professionalism. If you keep going, and receive good/great evals, then this will be viewed as just a "conflict of personalities", and not be a major point of contention.

Hello PCs, PDs, and Attendings,

Hope everyone is doing good this Monday.
I had a question regarding emails of interest. I asked this question on the IMG match thread but I was told this would be a better place to ask, so here I am.

Since it is the second week of October, I was considering sending out those emails by the end of this week.
I realize it's not really been a long time since MSPE came out, but some of the programs I would love to hear from have sent out their invites.
Now I'm not sure if interview calls are done in batches or if it's done all at once.
But if they are planning to do send out more, I want to try to have them see my application...

So is it still too early to send these out or would this be considered an appropriate time?
And regarding the content of these emails,
- do you talk a bit about yourself? mention your credentials and school? or just give your aamc ID and start talking about the program?
- Average length of emails?
- talk about the program and why you like it... anything else in the content?
- this might be stupid but what do you put as the subject of these emails?

Thank you to anyone who can provide some advice on this!

No. It is not time.

check program websites; a ton have not even sent the first invites yet. do not send emails to them until at least 3 weeks after they start. And even then, maybe think about waiting a little longer. At this point in time, PC's are swamped. Where once a program would have say, 300-400 applications, they now have 900-1000. That is a lot to wade thru.

If you do decide to send the email, make it brief. Name in the subject line. In the body, repeat your name, give your AAMC ID, (so they can find you in the system) and a short, and I repeat, SHORT reason why you want to interview at that program. "I would like an opportunity to interview at your program, as I am interested in your varied research project opportunities"

Please do not be upset if you do not get a response. Sometimes, you might have a PC who is not up to her ears, and will be able to send one, but don't hold it against the program if it doesn't happen.

No. It is not time.

check program websites; a ton have not even sent the first invites yet. do not send emails to them until at least 3 weeks after they start. And even then, maybe think about waiting a little longer. At this point in time, PC's are swamped. Where once a program would have say, 300-400 applications, they now have 900-1000. That is a lot to wade thru.

If you do decide to send the email, make it brief. Name in the subject line. In the body, repeat your name, give your AAMC ID, (so they can find you in the system) and a short, and I repeat, SHORT reason why you want to interview at that program. "I would like an opportunity to interview at your program, as I am interested in your varied research project opportunities"

Please do not be upset if you do not get a response. Sometimes, you might have a PC who is not up to her ears, and will be able to send one, but don't hold it against the program if it doesn't happen.

Thank you for your input, I guess I'll probably wait another week then. Thanks :)

I agree. Especially if you've already received some sort of confirmation that your application has been received. The volume really is exceptional. We understand how nerve wracking this must be. We are trying to get through this and get back to you as quickly as we can, but as killerleaf mentioned, we have more applications than ever, and most of us are more careful and holistic in our review than ever before, so it takes quite a bit longer these years. I'd hold off till at least mid-late October.

I also recommend email rather than calling. I save all those to keep track of who is genuinely interested vs sending us a form letter (also- don't send form letters- we can tell!). It doesn't always work, but I've absolutely pulled some folks we may have otherwise overlooked into the interview pool because it's very clear that they know exactly who we are and why they want to train with us.

Above all- please do not call, email, AND ERAS message the PC, program director, generic program email address, and the resident you met at a conference. Believe me, the PC gets ALL of those, and at a certain point, name recognition actually becomes a hindrance rather than a benefit.

In summary: Keep it short. Give a specific reason you're emailing (not just that you'd like an update), and even better- a specific reason why you're emailing THIS program, not just every program you haven't heard from.

Keep calm and good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I agree. Especially if you've already received some sort of confirmation that your application has been received. The volume really is exceptional. We understand how nerve wracking this must be. We are trying to get through this and get back to you as quickly as we can, but as killerleaf mentioned, we have more applications than ever, and most of us are more careful and holistic in our review than ever before, so it takes quite a bit longer these years. I'd hold off till at least mid-late October.

I also recommend email rather than calling. I save all those to keep track of who is genuinely interested vs sending us a form letter (also- don't send form letters- we can tell!). It doesn't always work, but I've absolutely pulled some folks we may have otherwise overlooked into the interview pool because it's very clear that they know exactly who we are and why they want to train with us.

Above all- please do not call, email, AND ERAS message the PC, program director, generic program email address, and the resident you met at a conference. Believe me, the PC gets ALL of those, and at a certain point, name recognition actually becomes a hindrance rather than a benefit.

In summary: Keep it short. Give a specific reason you're emailing (not just that you'd like an update), and even better- a specific reason why you're emailing THIS program, not just every program you haven't heard from.

Keep calm and good luck!

Thank you for your advice! I will keep that in mind :)
Just a query, by form letter, you mean a generic letter correct?

Also, a follow-up question to this -
Do you email the ID that is given in the program description on ERAS or/if that's not given, do you email the PD or the PC?
And let's say you do email the PC and give it some time and haven't heard anything back (I understand that they would be busy and like kilerleaf said not have time to respond to every email they get), is it okay to go ahead and drop an email to the PD or do you just let it be?
I understand your point about not spamming them with every possible means of contact but basically I'm wondering if one should make a second attempt to initiate conversation or is that just futile?

Last edited:
All of those come to the PC. Even if it says it is the PD's email...nope, it goes to the PC. :) So, no. No second email, please.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello PD or PC,

I am a US IMG, I applied a little late, September 23rd. I have decent scores in Step 1 (245) and Passed CS. My CK Score (255) came in recently, Oct 2nd which I reuploaded. I applied to 80 IM programs, however, I haven't had a single interview. I have a solid MSPE and have had US rotations. Should I be concerned and send LOI's or just wait and hope the best for the next weeks? I haven't received rejections either, just some emails saying they will respond after the MSPE was uploaded.

Regards,
GD

Last edited:
Hey PCs and PDs,

Just a quick question for you all. If I change my e-mail on ERAS, does that reflect on your side somehow? Or do you guys print out all the applications and see the e-mail that you've printed? Thanks very much. I am asking because I am thinking about changing my e-mail on ERAS to one that is easier to access for me.

@nebuchadnezzarII some programs print, others access your application "real time". I, personally, would not change email addresses at this time, unless you know that the programs you have applied to have not read your application as of yet.

@gusjdy My thought is not to panic. I know that the IM program at my institution has not sent out invites as of yet; they will probably be doing that by the end of the month. I would not send LOI's yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there an order to which PCs and PDs go through the applications? I'm just curious. Is it like alphabetic? Random? I'm just wondering what the approach would be to go through 800+ applications?

@nebuchadnezzarII We like to group applications by med school, since MSPEs will be written similarly, and it's easy to get a sense of what opportunities were available, what the grading system is like, etc. Other than that, it's divide and conquer.

Hi! I have a few questions:
1) If you have 3 strong LORs and one "OK" from a good institution, is it better to just upload the 3 strong LORs or all 4 of them? Giving the fact that all of them are from the US and I am an IMG?
2) Do you care about IMGs MSPEs or ignore it completely? I don't have a clue of how my med school does my MSPE and I am worried about that.

Thanks!

Hi! I have a few questions:
1) If you have 3 strong LORs and one "OK" from a good institution, is it better to just upload the 3 strong LORs or all 4 of them? Giving the fact that all of them are from the US and I am an IMG?
2) Do you care about IMGs MSPEs or ignore it completely? I don't have a clue of how my med school does my MSPE and I am worried about that.

Thanks!

1- It really depends. Unless a program specifies you need 4 LORs, I'd stick with the 3 strong ones. If that last one highlights something that's not otherwise addressed in your application, but you'd like the program to know, it may be worth including (mostly thinking about soft skills- bedside manner, communication, teamwork). US LORs definitely help for an IMG, imo.

2- Yes, we definitely care about the MSPE for IMGs. It's hard enough to gauge the medical education in a foreign country, and the MSPEs often indicate where an applicant stands, relative to their entire class, and provides an overview of the curriculum and grading criteria. We can also compare MSPEs across schools to get a better sense of how any particular region assesses its students. So if you have a sense that your school provides mediocre MSPEs, your LORs are all the more important.

Caveat to #2: We also prioritize the personal statement, connections/motivations to the area/population, and LORs. But the MSPE gives us a glimpse into the curriculum and school's expectations of its students.

Hope this helps!

1- It really depends. Unless a program specifies you need 4 LORs, I'd stick with the 3 strong ones. If that last one highlights something that's not otherwise addressed in your application, but you'd like the program to know, it may be worth including (mostly thinking about soft skills- bedside manner, communication, teamwork). US LORs definitely help for an IMG, imo.

2- Yes, we definitely care about the MSPE for IMGs. It's hard enough to gauge the medical education in a foreign country, and the MSPEs often indicate where an applicant stands, relative to their entire class, and provides an overview of the curriculum and grading criteria. We can also compare MSPEs across schools to get a better sense of how any particular region assesses its students. So if you have a sense that your school provides mediocre MSPEs, your LORs are all the more important.

Caveat to #2: We also prioritize the personal statement, connections/motivations to the area/population, and LORs. But the MSPE gives us a glimpse into the curriculum and school's expectations of its students.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I really appreciate it!

Hi sorry if this has been asked but I recently found out I failed comlex PE on humanism. I’ve never had a problem with this in the past but am studying hard to pass it my next attempt in November. Residencies don’t have my score yet. Is it better to report the failed PE or just wait until I have a passing grade. 243 step 1 and 228 step 2 and applying em. Thank you very much.

Hello PD PC. Hope you are all doing great and its so nice that you take out time to answer our questions. Thankyou.

My question is...

Ive sent a couple of handwritten LOIs( i have a decent writing and i thought mailing would be better) to a few of my top programs listing why I want to train with them specifically. Havent heard from them yet. Its been about 2 weeks since i sent those mails. Should I wait longer? Should I contact the PC? Should I assume they rejected me cuz I was so extra?

Thankyou

• Haha
Hi sorry if this has been asked but I recently found out I failed comlex PE on humanism. I’ve never had a problem with this in the past but am studying hard to pass it my next attempt in November. Residencies don’t have my score yet. Is it better to report the failed PE or just wait until I have a passing grade. 243 step 1 and 228 step 2 and applying em. Thank you very much.

You are in a tough position. Most programs will have you as incomplete application and won’t review you until your scores post. If you can post your usmle and not your comlex then I guess that’s good. It will seem strange to application reviewers that one is posted and the other isn’t, and they will suspect that there is an intentional reason. But you are in better shape if that is the case.

They are also less likely to interview you with an “open” fail (until you pass). If you notice you aren’t getting interviews, post the comlex and write into your personal statement about the fail. Prepare backup plans at the same time (prelim programs)

Hello PCs, PDs and Attendings,

To begin with - THANK YOU for helping us out in these anxious times and it means a lot to have information from a genuine trustworthy source.

My dilemma is - I am a non-US IMG with low Step 1 (200s) but made a 35 points jump with my CK and passed CS in first attempt. I graduated in 11/2018 and I have done USCE with good LORs. Additionally, I rank in top 10% of my medical school with excellence certificates and a strong LOR from home school. I have applied broadly with a good mix of mid-low tier, affiliated and community programs. I have just received 1 IV till now.

Should I panic? Should I put myself down because of my Step 1 or will my profile make up for it? I've tried my best to make up for it without wasting time. I have very good publications and I am also working as a research trainee at one of the best hospitals in the US.

What are my chances? When should I reach out to programs?

P. S. I am worried if my application is viewed later as my first and last name come at the end in the alphabet. I applied on the 6th as soon as applications opened - will that make any difference?

Last edited:
Hello PD PC. Hope you are all doing great and its so nice that you take out time to answer our questions. Thankyou.

My question is...

Ive sent a couple of handwritten LOIs( i have a decent writing and i thought mailing would be better) to a few of my top programs listing why I want to train with them specifically. Havent heard from them yet. Its been about 2 weeks since i sent those mails. Should I wait longer? Should I contact the PC? Should I assume they rejected me cuz I was so extra?

Thankyou

SMFH. Every year we repeat this, and nobody looks back:

Letters don't mean anything. We get them all the time. I got one from a kid who forgot to change the institution name and referenced a previous resident. We reached out to that person who said he had never heard of the kid. Handwritten holds more weight, but no, give it another week or until Halloween-ish before initiating contact. We can not initiate contact with applicants beyond what we would otherwise send all invited candidates. Otherwise it shows favoritism.

MSPE's came out a week ago. Some programs might still be reviewing them. Everyone panicking about not hearing, chill. The system is in play, you can't change it and there isn't much you can do that will derail a program's train that has left the station.

I won't dissuade people from posting in this thread, but for the majority of questions, the answer is likely, "No, it doesn't make a difference"

Hello PCs,

I would first like to give you all a HUGE thank you for participating in this thread. I have just come across this and I’m astonished by all your input, specially considering this month must be so overwhelming for you. Thank you so much!

I have a brief question. Supposedly it’s best for all applications to be complete by September 15th. However, my fourth LoR (which I assume is the most important one since it’s from my direct research fellowship supervisor) was only released by ECFMG on the 17th. Does this matter in any way? Should I contact programs to tell them this happened?

Once again thank you for your help and have a great weekend (make sure to get some rest!)

I won't dissuade people from posting in this thread, but for the majority of questions, the answer is likely, "No, it doesn't make a difference"
Funny how this was the first thing I saw after submitting my question

If PC writes down your aamc id, do they take it seriously or just as a formality? Thank you guys for answering.

@Virgo32 Like most things, the answer is "maybe". :) Is this the 4th time in the last 2 weeks you have called? Then they are probably not really writing it down. Have you called on an interview day? They are probably not really writing it down-they only reason they answered the phone is because they thought it was the applicant who has not shown up yet. Do they sound rested, calm, and rationale? They may be writing it down, to look you up later, and determine whether or not to show your app to recruitment committee/PD. Is it possible that they mean to look you up and pass on information, but get interrupted 17 times before they can, so it gets put to the side? Yes. So have some patience, a little bit of faith, and you will get thru this.