Technology Ask any computer tech support question here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, i found this thread just now, and I have a question. my virus scan is telling me I have a downloader-KL virus, but when i try to delete it or quarantine it, it won't let me. How do i get rid of it?

I'm also getting these pop ups telling me i have a sasser virus and that in order to get rid of it, i need to spend $39.99 to get rid of it. I'm thinking i don't really need to spend that much money, but how do I know if i really have a sasser virus or not?

Members don't see this ad.

musiclink213 said:
OK, i found this thread just now, and I have a question. my virus scan is telling me I have a downloader-KL virus, but when i try to delete it or quarantine it, it won't let me. How do i get rid of it?

I'm also getting these pop ups telling me i have a sasser virus and that in order to get rid of it, i need to spend $39.99 to get rid of it. I'm thinking i don't really need to spend that much money, but how do I know if i really have a sasser virus or not?

No, you don't need to spend $39 to get rid of those ads.

What anti-virus software do you have? Is it up to date (have you updated the virus def files within the last week?)

If you haven't, then do so, and scan your computer. That should take care of it, if it doesn't then you may need a newer version of antivirus altogether.

flighterdoc said:
No, you don't need to spend $39 to get rid of those ads.

What anti-virus software do you have? Is it up to date (have you updated the virus def files within the last week?)

If you haven't, then do so, and scan your computer. That should take care of it, if it doesn't then you may need a newer version of antivirus altogether.

i have mcafee. I just ran a virus scan on it yesterday, it's updated and everything. but when i turn on my computer, i get the warning thing saying i have a virus, but it won't let me delete it. it says the access rights to the media are denied, but when i try to find the program, i can't find it on my computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
musiclink213 said:
i have mcafee. I just ran a virus scan on it yesterday, it's updated and everything. but when i turn on my computer, i get the warning thing saying i have a virus, but it won't let me delete it. it says the access rights to the media are denied, but when i try to find the program, i can't find it on my computer.
try starting in safe mode, and then run the antivirus manually, that might help, but I'm not 100% sure though.

To start in safe mode, press F8 while starting your computer, and choose "Safe mode" from the menu that appears.

Can any CS or CE majors out there answer a question for me. I am trying to simplify a logic equation with 5 variables. And I almost remember something from my CS days (cs3700 material for those at the UofU). There was a way to set these little truth cubes so that you could just circle all of the groups of ones and get the simplified function. I'm at work so I can't look it up in my text, can anyone help me out. It's been too long and it's fuzzy. I could do the same thing by simplifying it like algebra but with a five variable equation thats a lot of work.

Example for three variable equation:
_ x y z
x 1 0 1
y 0 1 1
z 1 1 1

It went something like that, then you circled the groups of ones. I can't remember the rules, it's on the "tip" of my mind and it's driving me crazy.

TheWingThing said:
try starting in safe mode, and then run the antivirus manually, that might help, but I'm not 100% sure though.

To start in safe mode, press F8 while starting your computer, and choose "Safe mode" from the menu that appears.

And when you say updated, you got an update file in the last week? Confirm that you have the latest file from Mcafee.

rgporter said:
Can any CS or CE majors out there answer a question for me. I am trying to simplify a logic equation with 5 variables. And I almost remember something from my CS days (cs3700 material for those at the UofU). There was a way to set these little truth cubes so that you could just circle all of the groups of ones and get the simplified function. I'm at work so I can't look it up in my text, can anyone help me out. It's been too long and it's fuzzy. I could do the same thing by simplifying it like algebra but with a five variable equation thats a lot of work.

_ x y z
x 1 0 1
y 0 1 1
z 1 1 1

It went something like that, then you circled the groups of ones. I can't remember the rules, it's on the "tip" of my mind and it's driving me crazy.
Dude, I'm at the UoU, but not a CS major. Are you still at the U?

Yes, No, Kind of. I graduated in 2000, but I was taking CS classes while I worked on upper campus. I still work on upper campus but I'm going to UVa in August. :)

rgporter said:
Yes, No, Kind of. I graduated in 2000, but I was taking CS classes while I worked on upper campus. I still work on upper campus but I'm going to UVa in August. :)
Go UVA! :clap:

rgporter said:

_ x y z
x 1 0 1
y 0 1 1
z 1 1 1

Google "Karnaugh maps."

Andrew_Doan said:
Where are the images of the "print screen" function stored for Windows XP?

Thanks.
Probably in memory like all the other Windows. It's the same as using copy/paste. Just paste the "screen shot" that you took into Photoshop or any other image editing program and it should come up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
Ahh.. I was looking for an actual file. Thanks! ;)

They're held in a memory heap, IIRC - you can't access that as a file. If you want to create a file, you paste the clipboard into some app and create a file out of that.

Are there any free anti-virus software programs out there that you recommend? I'm trying to convince my folks that the year-old virus definitions they have on the expired Norton isn't enough...

Andrew_Doan said:
Where are the images of the "print screen" function stored for Windows XP?

Thanks.
Yeah, the previous posters are right. It's stored in the Windows clipboard.

What is the best way and fastest way to back up the documents on your computer (2003 Alien)?

gioia said:
What is the best way and fastest way to back up the documents on your computer (2003 Alien)?
Burn a CD.

BubbleBobble said:
Burn a CD.

Ummm... Beside that one. Someone told me about an external device that backs up your whole system.... I wasn't sure about: what it was, if it's useful, or if it's expensive. I have loads and loads of media files and publishing stuff aside from tons of docs. That is a heck of alot of CD's.

gioia said:
Ummm... Beside that one. Someone told me about an external device that backs up your whole system.... I wasn't sure about: what it was, if it's useful, or if it's expensive. I have loads and loads of media files and publishing stuff aside from tons of docs. That is a heck of alot of CD's.
How much are we talking here?

If it's 4-ish gigs, I'd burn a DVD.

If it's more than that, I'd get an external USB/Firewire hard drive and copy it all over.

Last edited:
Zanoman said:
Hi I got a question. Whenever I open my web browser, Internet Explorer 6.0, it automatically takes me to a website, here's the screenshot: http://photos.yahoo.com/bosco_buckle but my homepage is set for my schools web page. I thought it was a bug so I ran SpyBot and Ad-Aware, but nothing works. Thanks

Z
It's one of those browser hijackers. Can you post the address of the website it takes you to, please. I can then try to find how to fix this.

If the address doesn't show on the address bar, then View > Source to see if you can see the address in the HTML source of the website? You may also see the address of the website on the status bar when the site is loading.

TheWingThing said:
It's one of those browser hijackers. Can you post the address of the website it takes you to, please. I can then try to find how to fix this.

If the address doesn't show on the address bar, then View > Source to see if you can see the address in the HTML source of the website? You may also see the address of the website on the status bar when the site is loading.

Search for and download an IE debrander program - one is called IE debrander. It should fix it for you.

flighterdoc said:
Search for and download an IE debrander program - one is called IE debrander. It should fix it for you.
I guess it's due to a browser hijacker, not due to AT&T co-branding his IE.

Zanoman said:
Hi I got a question. Whenever I open my web browser, Internet Explorer 6.0, it automatically takes me to a website, here's the screenshot: http://photos.yahoo.com/bosco_buckle but my homepage is set for my schools web page. I thought it was a bug so I ran SpyBot and Ad-Aware, but nothing works. Thanks

Z
This browser hijacker is called Cool Web Search (CWS), there are several variants.

I found this at: http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=5467
---
I'm running win98 and had this problem (or similar) with the blank:about page loading up a search window ('search for...'), which actually turned out to be creating C:\windows\temp\sp.html every time I loaded IE.

I found the 'HOMEOldSP' values in the registry too, deleted them, and even deleted the sp.html entries too.

Eventually I found recently created dll's in the C:\windows and c:\windows\system directory (I understand that this hijack changes the names of the dll's)

So I used a program called 'taskinfo' (from www.iarsn.com) to see what currently running processes were using this dll. I closed those processes (most were IE windows), and then deleted registry entries for joeb.dll (the dll name in question, yours may vary), then ran 'regsvr32 /u joeb.dll' and rebooted. My particular blank:about hijack is fixed.

Interestingly enough, the latest reference file from Ad-Aware (as of today) picked up registry key changes as a result of the hijack, but didnt fix the hijack.

Anyhow hope this is of some help to you.
---

Check these too:

http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=548
http://computercops.biz/postt49988.html

See the post by lobos at http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/17919-1.html - that would fix it I guess.

TheWingThing said:
I guess it's due to a browser hijacker, not due to AT&T co-branding his IE.

some of the branders are also hijackers.

BubbleBobble said:
Google "Karnaugh maps."
It's a little late, but thanks. That was just what I needed. Can't believe I forgot even what karnaugh maps were named. :oops:

Last edited:
so...what are the good 'freeware' alternatives out there that u use?

-Graphics viewer: Irfanview
-Browser: Firefox
-Email client: Thunderbird
-Chat: GAIM...use it occasionally. has a cool feature to set how long u're idle on-the-fly....10 minutes...10 hrs...etc..also lets u connect to msn, yahoo, aol, etc.
-Graphics editor: GIMP 2.0
-Office Suite (word processor, spreadsheet, etc): openoffice 1.2
-welb photoalbum generator: Gallery 1.4 or JAlbum

How do I post a picture in a thread reply? Thanks :D .

is there any freeware news program that allows u to donwload newsarticles and read them offline on ur laptop? i know anvantgo does it w/ pda's but wondering if there's a similar solutions for laptops.

i'm gonna try to install linux soon. any good sites for newbies?

Yogi Bear said:
is there any freeware news program that allows u to donwload newsarticles and read them offline on ur laptop? i know anvantgo does it w/ pda's but wondering if there's a similar solutions for laptops.
Search for these: Sitesnagger or WinHTTrack

Yogi Bear said:
i'm gonna try to install linux soon. any good sites for newbies?
I have a nice site bookmarked on my office computer. I'll post it tomorrow. :)

Hi,

I believe that my web browser has been hijacked. Sometimes it takes me to websites. I also keep getting popups saying I have spybots installed with my ip showing up. My IE Version 6 has been acting up and my Antivirus subscription is old. It came up with a virus and said it was quarantined, but still not the same... What does such a virus do? To what extent does an infection cause one problems?

I'm not that proficient at computer troubleshooting..

Thanks

TheWingThing said:
I have a nice site bookmarked on my office computer. I'll post it tomorrow. :)

hey, i have mandrake 10 now. one thing though....seems like the fonts are a bit too small. how do i get a font that looks like xp on my 1024x768 (or something like that) 15" laptop screen? the font w/in kde looks fuzzy...like xp's Cleartype (which i hate).

also, i tried installing GAIM and find this error:

The following packages have bad signatures:
/home/----/Desktop/gaim-0.79-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm: Invalid signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#4c292fcc NOT OK)

Should I continue?

also, i didn't install the firewall during intial installation. how do i do it now?

any other good programs i should get? i tried firefox and the "find" option doesn't work as well as the download option. usine konqueror on kde now.

thx.

fruit fly said:
Hi,

I believe that my web browser has been hijacked. Sometimes it takes me to websites. I also keep getting popups saying I have spybots installed with my ip showing up. My IE Version 6 has been acting up and my Antivirus subscription is old. It came up with a virus and said it was quarantined, but still not the same... What does such a virus do? To what extent does an infection cause one problems?

I'm not that proficient at computer troubleshooting..

Thanks
fly, read thid entire thread, there were several posts about browser hijacks. if that doesnt help, please post what website you are taken to, by the hijack.

I was exploring/cleaning my C drive when I realized that my excell and Word Docs are listed under 'My Documents' AND listed under 'User's Documents'. I am the only user set up on my PC (and all other files like favorites etc. are listed under 'User's documents).

I imagine that more of my hard drive will be free if I delete one set of duplicates. Which one should I delete? Are the files linked (meaning, will I delete them all, if I delete one set)?

I always default to 'save in My Documents' but had no idea that duplicates are formed or automatically stored elsewhere.

I am trying to get my machine to run optimally. I also noticed that My Documents falls under 'Desktop'. Does this slow the computer down when booting up?

Thanks.

I made a mistake. The "user's documents" and 'My Documents" are both listed under desk top and both hold essentially the same files.

Is it a Microsoft thing to automatically store files under "user's documents" and can I streamline my info?

SO who can tell me what the heck the difference between XP Professional & Xp Home is, aside from the hundred bucks cost difference.

my computer exploded after I spilled a milkshake on the keyboard. Can you fix it?

everytime i start my laptop i get a bunch (about 15) different .EXE application errors that somthing has failed to be located. It started happening after I got rid of a lot of programs in my add/remove programs thing. I think i erased something impt but everything i normally use works fine
i just keep getting these errors...what do u think?? send it into Dell service?

gioia said:
I made a mistake. The "user's documents" and 'My Documents" are both listed under desk top and both hold essentially the same files.

Is it a Microsoft thing to automatically store files under "user's documents" and can I streamline my info?
It's the same. "My Documents" is just an alias for user's documents, and they both point to the same place. They are not copied twice. So, better be careful when you delete things from one place or the other.

sunni said:
SO who can tell me what the heck the difference between XP Professional & Xp Home is, aside from the hundred bucks cost difference.
XP Pro has some features to connect to networks which lacks in XP Home. If you want to log on to a Windows domain (if your office or school has Windows network), you cannot do that with XP Home. I cannot think of other differences though. If you are a regular home user, XP Home is all you need.

save10 said:
my computer exploded after I spilled a milkshake on the keyboard. Can you fix it?
Absolutely, please ship me the computer along with a Money Order for $5,000.