Technology Ask any computer tech support question here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alexander99 said:
Thanks. That should hopefully solve that problem. I'm curious. Does Windows XP use the internet to check the correct time because how else would it know what the clock is supposed to be set at?
Yeah, XP synchronizes the system clock every week. Double-click on the clock and you should see how it does that.

Members don't see this ad.

Dallenoff said:
Yeah, XP synchronizes the system clock every week. Double-click on the clock and you should see how it does that.

darn...microsoft working behind the scenes. i had no idea they were doing that.

Dallenoff said:

I guess it's a useful feature--it keeps the clock accurate instead of drifting by a few minutes every few months. We're so technologically advanced now. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my new laptop yesterday. Specs:

Gateway 200E (powered by Intel Centrino blah blah)
----------------------------------------------------

Pentium M 1.6 GHz
512 MB PC2700 RAM
60 GB HDD
DVD/CDRW
Integrated Intel video card (8 MB shared memory)
14.1 inch 1024x768 LCD
2 USB 2.0 ports
1 IEEE 1394 port
Built in Intel pro 2100 802.11b wireless
S-video out
SPDIF digital optical audio out

Very small, 4.3 lb

Except for the video, it rocks. But it's mainly for work. I have a powerful fun PC at home, so I can do with this video though.

Manufacturer refurbished, with 1 year warraty from Gateway, with 1 more year extended warranty from my credit card company (Mastercard). Looks and works as good as new.

:thumbup:

Alexander99 said:
Thanks. That should hopefully solve that problem. I'm curious. Does Windows XP use the internet to check the correct time because how else would it know what the clock is supposed to be set at?

XP has a feature in date/tme properties called internet time, you can set it up to check a timeserver (once a week) but I use a $10 shareware product called socketwatch from RoboMagic. It goes and checks a number of time servers, checks on my schedule (like every 30 minutes), and has some other features that I like too. You can get a free version (updates twice every day), but for the $10, it's pretty good. They also have a weather program I like called wetsock, you can select anywhere in the world that has weather reporting online, and have icons on the task bar for each location. Right now, for instance, it's clear and 62F in Lake Tahoe, Ca. :love:

flighterdoc said:
XP has a feature in date/tme properties called internet time, you can set it up to check a timeserver (once a week) but I use a $10 shareware product called socketwatch from RoboMagic. It goes and checks a number of time servers, checks on my schedule (like every 30 minutes), and has some other features that I like too. You can get a free version (updates twice every day), but for the $10, it's pretty good. They also have a weather program I like called wetsock, you can select anywhere in the world that has weather reporting online, and have icons on the task bar for each location. Right now, for instance, it's clear and 62F in Lake Tahoe, Ca. :love:

So what other features does Socketwatch have? I'm always paranoid about installing anything because it seems everything (especially shareware) nowadays has tons of spyware, trojans, etc.

Alexander99 said:
So what other features does Socketwatch have? I'm always paranoid about installing anything because it seems everything (especially shareware) nowadays has tons of spyware, trojans, etc.

It's safe, the company has been around for at leat 7-8 years (that I've been using them), and I've never gotten any spyware or trojans from them. I used to install Socketwatch on fileservers to keep the time up to date.

Some of the fetures include letting you select which (and how many) international time servers you sync to, it has a sync feature for your watch, and will allow you to deliberately offset the set time if you know your system clock is fast/slow.

TheWingThing said:

Pentium M 1.6 GHz
512 MB PC2700 RAM
60 GB HDD
DVD/CDRW
14.1 inch 1024x768 LCD
2 USB 2.0 ports
1 IEEE 1394 port
S-video out

Very small, 4.3 lb

Except for the video, it rocks. But it's mainly for work. I have a powerful fun PC at home, so I can do with this video though.

Manufacturer refurbished, with 1 year warraty from Gateway, with 1 more year extended warranty from my credit card company (Mastercard). Looks and works as good as new.

??? $$$ ???

So anyone know the answer to my previous question? How do I prevent downloading Adware DLL files? Is there a setting on Internet Explorer I need to change or something?

flighterdoc said:

I just use the atomic clock sync program (free) - it's Atomic something - you can search for it and find it. It pings atomic clock servers. Good enough from my viewing.

Alexander99 said:
So anyone know the answer to my previous question? How do I prevent downloading Adware DLL files? Is there a setting on Internet Explorer I need to change or something?

Go into the security settings options in IE and bump the general security settings up. You'll have to tweak as necessary, because some sites you visit may use the features you'll be disabling. Personally, I just go ahead and use Opera (www.opera.com). It has a nice little setting called "Only Open Requested Pop-Up Windows" that makes my life so much easier...

Alexander99 said:

Zone Labs Zone Alarm Pro firewall. Once it's set up it's great.

Apollyon said:
I just use the atomic clock sync program (free) - it's Atomic something - you can search for it and find it. It pings atomic clock servers. Good enough from my viewing.

The free version of socket watch is free too, it's limited to two updates a day. The Atomic Clock thing was a problem on my machine when I tried it, kept crashing the machines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gateway 200E (ARC) laptop crashes if volume control is used after waking from stand by.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a Gateway 200E (200 ARC series) 2 days ago. If I put the
computer into standby and then wake it up, and use the volume control
by pressing Fn + left or right arrow keys, the system crashes. It
freezes completely. Even ctrl + alt + del doesn't work.

I called Gateway, and this is what they said:

"It's an already documented problem with this model.

Gateway doesn't have a solution for this problem, they only have two
workarounds:

1. Don't use the Fn + key combo for volume control, use the volume
control icon on the system tray with your mouse.

2. Don't use the Fn + key combo for a while after waking up from
stand by"

My reply to #1, I dont want to look for the icon and click it, I want
a shortcut whenever I want to control the volume. That's what it is
there for. Besides, I press ctrl + arrow to tab through my text
documents. It's very easy to press Fn instead of ctrl, and this is
more possible in this model especially since Fn is the outermost key
on the left side, and ctrl is to the right side of it, unlike most
other laptop keyboards where ctrl is the outermost key. I dont want
my laptop to crash when I'm browsing through my text documents or
writing code.

#2. I even tried doing this after an hour, and it still crashes.

I have the latest BIOS (v 42.01.02), and Gateway doesnt have a newer
BIOS update of fix for this. I use Win XP Pro, by the way. This crash
is reproducible every single time I do what I described above (use
volume control after waking up from standby).

Gateway said they just wont fix it or replace this laptop. If I send
it for service, they won't give me a time estimate of how long it
will take to fix it. They are just trying to deter me from sending it
for service I guess.

The tech who answered my second call was so rude and yelling on the
phone telling me not to use the key combo, rather than focusing on
how to fix it. He even said he won't let me talk to Level 2 tech
people when I asked. I had to give him a piece of my mind before he
would let me talk to Level 2.

The level 2 guy was even more ridiculous. He suggested that I use the
screensaver instead of standby. *****, he doesnt even know the
difference between the use of a screensaver and a standby mode.
Perhaps, he thinks people who buy their laptops are starfishes who
they can push around and deny service for their defective product.

How many of you have had this problem replicable with the Gateway 200
ARC series? Can you try this on your laptop and see if it happens?

Does anyone know a fix for it? I badly need it.

If there are enough number of people with this problem, without
proper service being provided by Gateway, I think a class action
lawsuit would be feasible.

Thanks.

TheWingThing said:

Pentium M 1.6 GHz
512 MB PC2700 RAM
60 GB HDD
DVD/CDRW
14.1 inch 1024x768 LCD
2 USB 2.0 ports
1 IEEE 1394 port
S-video out

Very small, 4.3 lb

Yeah, this is the same laptop I was so proud of, yesterday. I paid $1180 for it. I think it's worthless given Gateway's attitude towards their customers.

TheWingThing:
Unfortunately, the drivers that allow this hotkey functionality are produced by Gateway (and it is these drivers that are most likely causing the computer to crash), so if there was a fix for it, it would come from Gateway.

:idea:
However, there may be a way to bypass it. You could try to install a volume-control replacement such as Audio Sliders. This program allows hotkey replacement to adjust the volume (so you could use Ctrl+> for example) and it might bypass the Gateway drivers. Note that I have never used this program (just found it doing a Google search), so I have no idea if it works or if it will screw up your computer by installing it...but it, or something like it, might be something that worth trying. I'll continue to look around to see if I can find any other possible solutions.

P.S. Go with Dell next time ;)

Another possible workaround for the volume problem: HotKeyControl XP. This program is free and appears less intrusive than the one I previously posted...also it appears to integrate directly with the volume control panel, which from freading Gateway's email appears as if it may solve your problem.

:luck:

Another tech question for you. Do you think an IRC programs (like mIRC) are safe to use? I'm worried that mIRC will let others see your IP address and it'll make it easier for them to hack into your computer. Does anyone know whether there is a basis for my fear?

Also, I'm using a wireless router that has a built-in hardware firewall. Do you suggest I install a software firewall as well? For some reason, my router (I have a Microsoft one) doesn't seem to be compatible with Zone Alarm which is what I used to use with a lot of success. Is there a point to getting a software firewall sinced I have a hardware one?

Alexander99, I'm no expert on security, but WinXP has a nice built-in software firewall. I couldn't figure out the hardware firewall on the router, so that's all I'm using. And yes, people can easily find out your IP addy on IRC, but wouldn't they have to portscan you to be able to hack in? That's where the firewall(s) come in, to block ports.

You're still vulnerable to viruses and malicious scripts on mIRC, so just change settings for auto-accept of files and be smart about clicking on links.

-----
Now, can anyone answer my msconfig question?

Alexander99 said:
Another tech question for you. Do you think an IRC programs (like mIRC) are safe to use? I'm worried that mIRC will let others see your IP address and it'll make it easier for them to hack into your computer. Does anyone know whether there is a basis for my fear?

Also, I'm using a wireless router that has a built-in hardware firewall. Do you suggest I install a software firewall as well? For some reason, my router (I have a Microsoft one) doesn't seem to be compatible with Zone Alarm which is what I used to use with a lot of success. Is there a point to getting a software firewall sinced I have a hardware one?

I wouldn't use a software firewall with a router. Its redundant and slows down your connection. You will be able to surf/download/etc. faster without the win xp firewall and the router's firewall is more than sufficient.

hypersting said:
I wouldn't use a software firewall with a router. Its redundant and slows down your connection. You will be able to surf/download/etc. faster without the win xp firewall and the router's firewall is more than sufficient.

This is the info I needed. Thanks. :thumbup:

hypersting said:
SW firewalls may be good if you have any pirated SW, which may connnect to their creator's servers and report your IP or something. You can prevent such programs from accessing the internet by using a SW firewall. Of course, this won't help for programs that need to connect to the Internet for normal functioning (email clients, etc).

If course, this post is for educational purposes only, not for using pirated SW.

TheWingThing said:
SW firewalls may be good if you have any pirated SW, which may connnect to their creator's servers and report your IP or something. You can prevent such programs from accessing the internet by using a SW firewall. Of course, this won't help for programs that need to connect to the Internet for normal functioning (email clients, etc).

If course, this post is for educational purposes only, not for using pirated SW.

Haha true, but you should know better than to update pirated software, come now :). It always amazes me how people pirate their OS and things like MS Office, why would you risk something so essential?

hypersting said:
Haha true, but you should know better than to update pirated software, come now :). It always amazes me how people pirate their OS and things like MS Office, why would you risk something so essential?
Well, I'm guessing that some SW may send the IP addresses to the creator automatically, even without your knowledge or trying to update it or something. Just one TCP packet, or hell, UDP packet. A SW firewall can prevent this.

TheWingThing said:

I agree. I use a software firewall in addition to a router... not because of pirated software, but because I hate it how some software I download or install tries to connect to the internet. You'd be surprised at how often some of your programs try to connect to the internet.

Plus, it's bundled with an antivirus program and includes ActiveX blocking and such. Firewalls don't protect from those.

southerndoc said:
I agree. I use a software firewall in addition to a router... not because of pirated software, but because I hate it how some software I download or install tries to connect to the internet. You'd be surprised at how often some of your programs try to connect to the internet.

Plus, it's bundled with an antivirus program and includes ActiveX blocking and such. Firewalls don't protect from those.

Which software do you use? My computer came with McAfee Security Center but I haven't activated the firewall yet (I get a 90 day free trial or something.) Should I just activate it?

Another ? for you tech dudes. I'm severely bored and thinking about installing the AOL to use it for free for 50 days until med school starts. Is AOL as bad as it used to be (where it basically installed tons of crap on your computer that you didn't want while screwing up it's settings) or is it more legit now where I can install it, have fun, and simply uninstall it?

Yep, it's still all encompasing, maybe worse. You show be able to find any number of alternative low cost ISP's, ( dunno about "free" since free=advertisements) then you only need IE (comes w/windoz) or netscape / mozilla which is free dl.

:)

Alexander99 said:
Another ? for you tech dudes. I'm severely bored and thinking about installing the AOL to use it for free for 50 days until med school starts. Is AOL as bad as it used to be (where it basically installed tons of crap on your computer that you didn't want while screwing up it's settings) or is it more legit now where I can install it, have fun, and simply uninstall it?
Be forewarned: There was a class action lawsuit filed against AOL because people "cancelled" their accounts and were still billed for the accounts for months afterwards. Additionally, people also sued because AOL made it difficult for them to cancel (no online option, hours on hold on the phone, etc.).

Ask yourself this: is the hassle that precedes you really worth your effort?

Talking about ISP woes, I just signed a contract for a new apartment today - on campus, 1 bedroom, almost 500 sqft, the rent is 450 a month, and includes everything (electricity, cable, phone, internet).

I should thank the cute girl who lives in my current building (also on-campus). I ran into her again, as I have many times in the past, and today I went forward and talked to her for the first time. Then, I was telling her I'm gonna move next month, and she said she is too, and told me she's moving to the student village. Traditionally, the student village is only for married students, but this time, they are giving some apartments to grad students. So I went and got one today. All thanks to her, otherwise I wouldnt have gotten this apartment. A friend of mine also got an apartment after I told him.

Then, the cute girl actually called me and invited me for coffee. So, I had coffee with her and stopped by her apartment for a chat. Sweet :) :) :) God bless the cute girls who help you get a nice apartment, and call you and invite for coffee.

The apartment actually has LRE (Long Reach Ethernet - a technology to provide ethernet over POTS or any pair of copper cables - we get it through the phone line). 4 mbps up and down. So long, DSL and Cable.

Dallenoff said:
wow, never heard of Long Reach Ethernet...sounds awesome. Does it tie up the phone line?
Nope, it doesn't tie up your phone. In fact, it's compatible with both analog and digital phone lines.

i know i have a virus on my computer...but i dont know which one...is there a way i can figure it out? my friend told me to purchase and run norton but will the virus show up after the scan? do you think i should just reinstall windows??

busdriver said:
i know i have a virus on my computer...but i dont know which one...is there a way i can figure it out? my friend told me to purchase and run norton but will the virus show up after the scan? do you think i should just reinstall windows??
You can actually download a trial version to clean your computer. Try Norton http://www.symantec.com or McAfee http://www.networkassociates.com

so it'll still detect and clean the virus?

busdriver said:
so it'll still detect and clean the virus?
I think so. If you can't get trial version of Norton or McAfee, google for PC-Cillin or Panda antivirus or F-Prot. You might be able to find some of these with trial versions that clean your PC.

Thanks for the info about AOL. Yeah, it's not going to be worth the hassle. I think I'll just install mIRC instead. That'll kill time.

So I somehow ended up with a virus on my computer (I think through some shady website that had tons of popups.) McAfee caught and deleted some of the files but 2 got through cause when I did a scan, there were 2 infected files.

I deleted the files but I got some message from Windows XP saying that one of the system files had been altered and to reinstall the file by putting in the XP CD in. I did that but it didn't do anything so I just reinstalled Windows (without formatting.) I had to do this because ever since that message, I couldn't run one of my games that runs on the internet. I kept getting some error message involving TCP.

My internet explorer was up to date (all the newest patches had been installed) so how did those viruses get onto my computer in the first place?

ok so whenever i start my computer (i have windows xp), a window for ms-dos pops up and then another little window with this pops up:

c:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\winlogon.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0536 IP:01a5 OP:63 73 2e xx xx Choose ?Close? to terminate the application

what does it mean? btw...the xx's i put are actually numbers/letters...i just put xx's in case this is private stuff....i dunno...

but yeah, i always choose to "close" rather than "ignore"...

edit - this is all before i installed the trial version of norton...

ok so tell me if this sounds weird to you....my computer is doing a full system scan after i dled the trial version of norton....all of a sudden in the middle of the scan, i see a command prompt window pop up and a bunch of script and then it disappears...tell me if this is normal...

OK. Since I've ditched the idea of using AOL to entertain myself, I've downloaded mIRC. It doesn't connect at all--I know it's because I'm behind a wireless router (microsoft) that has a hardware firewall. How can I get mIRC to work without my internet connection becoming vulnerable. I read up and it seems I have to change some port forwarding settings on my router. Is this the only way? It seems like it'd make my internet connection less secure.

question: can anyone tell me why i'm unable to view any geocities pages at all? every time i click on a geocities link, i get that "internet explorer was not able to open this internet site. the requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. please try again later." and then there is a file download box behind it. it doesnt matter how many times i try, i am never able to access these pages while other people have no problem.

what's going on? :confused:

busdriver said:
ok so tell me if this sounds weird to you....my computer is doing a full system scan after i dled the trial version of norton....all of a sudden in the middle of the scan, i see a command prompt window pop up and a bunch of script and then it disappears...tell me if this is normal...

Nope. And if it's anything from Norton other than anti-virus (including anything that comes with antivirus as a part) I'd uninstall it and get rid of it. Their AV is top-notch but the rest of their stuff is CRAP, I think.

Alexander99 said:
OK. Since I've ditched the idea of using AOL to entertain myself, I've downloaded mIRC. It doesn't connect at all--I know it's because I'm behind a wireless router (microsoft) that has a hardware firewall. How can I get mIRC to work without my internet connection becoming vulnerable. I read up and it seems I have to change some port forwarding settings on my router. Is this the only way? It seems like it'd make my internet connection less secure.

yes, you need to open some port. Yes, it will make you less secure. Its your call.

lilstina said:
question: can anyone tell me why i'm unable to view any geocities pages at all? every time i click on a geocities link, i get that "internet explorer was not able to open this internet site. the requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. please try again later." and then there is a file download box behind it. it doesnt matter how many times i try, i am never able to access these pages while other people have no problem.

what's going on? :confused:

post a link to the page and we'll see if it's just you.

flighterdoc said:
yes, you need to open some port. Yes, it will make you less secure. Its your call.

Forget that. I'm all about secure internet connections. I will just chat with myself (or use the crappiest place to chat online, yahoo chat.) If you guys have other ways of getting on IRC, let me know.

Alexander99 said:
Forget that. I'm all about secure internet connections. I will just chat with myself (or use the crappiest place to chat online, yahoo chat.) If you guys have other ways of getting on IRC, let me know.
Hmm, you'll need to open ports 6667 or 7000. Not many bad attacks happen on these ports. I wouldn't worry about opening up these ports.