Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question, this may have been answered before but I've searched and really can't find it.....
What do they use to calculate GPA? Do they just ask for your AADSAS? Or do they ask for college transcripts and compute it off that? I had to repeat a few classes as an undergrad, so my uGPA is low for AADSAS because they do not do grade replacement even tho my university did.... Thanks!!!!! (looking for the 3 year Scholarship)
I'm not 100% sure, but I think they will look at your transcripts. Best thing to do is talk to a recruiter to make sure you meet the requirements to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

I've tried to read thru this thread and haven't seen this question yet, but didn't make it all the way thru so sorry if it's a repeat.

I'm in my last year of dental school and starting the application process for the AEGD-1 program. My interview is coming up in the next couple weeks. What should I expect at the interview?

Also the program director at the base where my interview will be ask me to bring a copy of transcripts, CV, etc. What should I consider to be etc? I'm not sure what else to bring?

Also I am very interested in ortho. What can I do to start finding out more information about the AF's ortho program?

Thanks!!

Hello! Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I haven't read through the entire thread yet.

I am a junior in college, and I am interested in applying for the HPSP scholarship. I was just wondering what steps need to be taken in order to apply, when the deadline generally is (I'll be graduating in 2014), and whether or not I need to be in ROTC in order to apply (one of my friends who is in ROTC told me this, not sure if it's true or not). Unfortunately, the AF website wasn't very helpful, so I decided to come here before I contacted the recruiters at my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I haven't read through the entire thread yet.

I am a junior in college, and I am interested in applying for the HPSP scholarship. I was just wondering what steps need to be taken in order to apply, when the deadline generally is (I'll be graduating in 2014), and whether or not I need to be in ROTC in order to apply (one of my friends who is in ROTC told me this, not sure if it's true or not). Unfortunately, the AF website wasn't very helpful, so I decided to come here before I contacted the recruiters at my school.
Hi, I understand your concern in getting this answered, but please don't post the same question in multiple threads. ;)

As vellnueve answered in the Navy thread, you do not need to be in ROTC at all. You need to contact an AF officer/health professions recruiter. You can start the application process at any time, but to really get the ball rolling you'll need to have DAT scores and a rough idea (hopefully transcripts up to this point) of your GPAs.

Typically to be an early applicant you'd start talking to the recruiter a little bit before or at the same time of your AADSAS application, but again you can talk to them right now if you wish, earlier is never wrong. Since you are so early in thinking about this, you may want to take the opportunity to speak to a recruiter from each branch of service to get a good idea about them all in case the Air Force doesn't work out or whatever.

I'm guessing you plan to enter dental school immediately after graduating? If that's the case, you'd be applying next June to AADSAS, and could talk to a recruiter any time before then (they really do like to know your DAT scores in the beginning, but you'll find that out yourself if you go talk to the recruiters now).

Last edited:
I've tried to read thru this thread and haven't seen this question yet, but didn't make it all the way thru so sorry if it's a repeat.

I'm in my last year of dental school and starting the application process for the AEGD-1 program. My interview is coming up in the next couple weeks. What should I expect at the interview? Typical interview lasts 30 min to an hour. Usually get a tour of the clinc if interviewing in person. Expect to be asked about your GPA, DAT, extracurricular activities and your essay questions.

Also the program director at the base where my interview will be ask me to bring a copy of transcripts, CV, etc. What should I consider to be etc? I'm not sure what else to bring? Bring anything that strengthens your case

Also I am very interested in ortho. What can I do to start finding out more information about the AF's ortho program? Talk to the program director at the end of your interview. You will not be able to apply to ortho right out of school, but you can get some info to start getting ready.

Thanks!!

Hope this helps

I'm in my last year of dental school and starting the application process for the AEGD-1 program. My interview is coming up in the next couple weeks. What should I expect at the interview?

Also the program director at the base where my interview will be ask me to bring a copy of transcripts, CV, etc. What should I consider to be etc? I'm not sure what else to bring?

Also I am very interested in ortho. What can I do to start finding out more information about the AF's ortho program?

Thanks!!

My interview started out with a one on one interview conducted by the program director
Here are some of the questions I was asked a few weeks ago during my AEGD-1 interview:

Have you done any research? and can you tell me about your research?
Do you have any awards from dental school or from extracurricular activities not listed on your CV?
Where do you see yourself or what goals do you have in the next 5 years? In the next 15 years?
How do you feel about being deployed oversees away from family?
Why did you choose the Air Force over the other military branches?
What does it mean to you to be a leader?
If you were asked to give a presentation on a specific topic in dentistry what would you talk about and why?
Why did you choose dentistry as a career?
Which location would you most like to serve in? Which location would you least likely serve in?
What questions do you have for me?

All I needed to bring were my transcripts and CV. After the interview the program director took me on a tour of the clinic. It took about 1 hour for the interview and tour.

I have a question about extramural opportunities with the AF. I am HPSP and am starting my third year of dental school and am starting to look ahead for the fourth year extramural rotation that we are offered. One of my resident faculty members is a Naval dentist and said that he was able to do his extramural at a naval base while he was in school. I was wondering if that would be an option for me in the AF.

I have a question about extramural opportunities with the AF. I am HPSP and am starting my third year of dental school and am starting to look ahead for the fourth year extramural rotation that we are offered. One of my resident faculty members is a Naval dentist and said that he was able to do his extramural at a naval base while he was in school. I was wondering if that would be an option for me in the AF.

We have offered a HPSP clerkship every summer for the last 4+ years. Other than that, there isn't a formal process to perform a clerkship or externship at a base.

I have done a search of the forums and this thread so I believe this question has not been asked before. I apologize if it has.

I recently was made aware of a term called Individual Augmentee (IA) when it comes to dentists serving their commitments to HPSP. As I understand it, this is a term used for when the Army requires someone with special training and takes said officer/enlisted from another military branch to augment their ranks.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_augmentee there appears to be "...Currently, there are approximately 12,000 Navy and Air Force personnel filling Army jobs in the United States, Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba and the Horn of Africa at any one time." This is a rather large number and I have never even heard of this before during my research of HPSP. Here is a blog of a Navy dentist who got traded to the army and subsequently deployed to Afghanistan very recently

http://inthenarmy.wordpress.com/2011/09/

Now my question is how likely is this for a dentist serving in the Air Force to be drafted to the army as an individual augmentee. Can any past or current Air Force dentist shed some light on this matter. It does not seem to be a very common topic discussed with recruiters but may have a big impact on the decision. Thank you for your help.

We have never had anyone "drafted" as an IA to the Army. We have filled some Navy and Army deployment opportunities, but they have all been by volunteer only.

I want to hear about the transition from military practice to civilian/private practice. My main concern will the quality of my skills or maybe lack of? Will my skills lessen during my time in the military? With little exposure to a variety of cases?

Are you saying diminished skills from dental school? Umm, don't think that will be a problem.

I applied for the 3 year HPSP and was told by my recruiter that the recipients would be notified in mid December. Is this true? I thought they are announced in mid November.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I recently have been offered a 3 yr scholarship but my wife is deathly afraid of me spending time away from her for longer than 6 months. My question is, if I am sent somewhere for longer than 6 months does my family travel with me? The recruiter told me that as long as it would be longer than 6 months they would.

The next question I have is: Are we required to do (3) 45-day active duty periods, 1 each year. I was reading some blog pages and that is what they were stating on those blogs? I have only heard of the one COT training of 45-days but I just want to clarify that detail.

Hi, I am currently a prosthodontist in the Army. I am really disappointed with the posts that are available, and was interested in switching from Army to AF so that my family and I could relocate to a better location. Further, the Army Dental Laboratory is miserable, and I am wearing myself out pressing and stacking all my own crowns. I have heard great things about the AF's dental lab - which is a further draw to that branch. Just wondering if anyone has any comments about crossing over, and does anyone know which states/cities have posts where a prosthodontist would be needed in the AF?

Thanks!

-M

I recently have been offered a 3 yr scholarship but my wife is deathly afraid of me spending time away from her for longer than 6 months. My question is, if I am sent somewhere for longer than 6 months does my family travel with me? The recruiter told me that as long as it would be longer than 6 months they would.

The next question I have is: Are we required to do (3) 45-day active duty periods, 1 each year. I was reading some blog pages and that is what they were stating on those blogs? I have only heard of the one COT training of 45-days but I just want to clarify that detail.
I know that the committee started reviewing the application in this October, but you got the scholarship already??! That's crazy!

We have very few deployments that are longer than 6 months. Anything longer is by volunteer basis, so just don't volunteer for those.

If you move to a new location, with the exception of very few places, your family will move with you.

You are required to do the active duty periods, but most of them will be at your school.

PM sent
Hi, I am currently a prosthodontist in the Army. I am really disappointed with the posts that are available, and was interested in switching from Army to AF so that my family and I could relocate to a better location. Further, the Army Dental Laboratory is miserable, and I am wearing myself out pressing and stacking all my own crowns. I have heard great things about the AF's dental lab - which is a further draw to that branch. Just wondering if anyone has any comments about crossing over, and does anyone know which states/cities have posts where a prosthodontist would be needed in the AF?

Thanks!

-M

I am a practicing general dentist, 20 years. I am 51 y/o. Former enlisted Air Force Medic, 4 years. Tired of private practice. I'll be putting my practice up for sale in the next month or two. Meanwhile, I am actively pursuing a commission in the Navy Reserve. I have most of my paperwork done. Physical is done, passed. Lost 20 pounds but want to lose 10 more. Based on the tape I am in standards but I'd like to get down to the maximum weight, 216. Running 5 miles 6 days a week. I'm in great shape. So I am ready.
I would have done this 11 years ago (right after 9/11) but I had a mammoth sized practice loan to pay off and deployment was not an option.
My question is can I go active from the reserves? Can I do more than 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a summer? I still need to earn a living so I can't retire and frankly I don't want to.
I was told 11 years ago I'd go in as an O-4. But the PA that did my physical suggested that O-3 might be better so I don't go up-and-out due to the way promotions work. Any insight? My recruiter also suggested that.
I was also told by my recruiter that I couldn't retire from the Navy because of my age but I have read that 68 y/o is the absolute cutoff for physicians and dentists. Any insight into that?
What about the Air Force? I see that training is at Maxwell AFB where I spent my 4 years as enlisted.
Thanks

I haven't been able to find a current answer for this question. Do hpsp recipients get a signing bonus? If so, how much? And is it limited to only 3yr scholarships vs. 4yr. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SDN Mobile

hi i am a foreign qualified dentist,presently in u.s.a ,took my nbde part 1, can i enroll in d airforce and complete my studies as is required by ADA, i.e the advanced standing programme. how long will it take to obtain u.s nationality and how much will they pay me. waiting for reply,thank you

AFDDS,

I'm in the second year of my 4 yr payback. I'm considering applying to OMS programs both within the AF as well as the Civ Sector. My question is if I decided to separate from the AF and pursue OMS training as a civilian, how could I make this transition run smoothly? I know the military will not let me apply to AF and Civ residencies simultaneously, but what about applying only to Civ programs during the fall of 2014 when my commitment is up the summer of 2015? If allowed, my plan would be go on terminal leave to begin residency on time. Not sure if you seen this done before but I figured I'd ask before the time comes.

-Thanks

hi i am a foreign qualified dentist,presently in u.s.a ,took my nbde part 1, can i enroll in d airforce and complete my studies as is required by ADA, i.e the advanced standing programme. how long will it take to obtain u.s nationality and how much will they pay me. waiting for reply,thank you
No. In order to join the AF as a Dentist, you must be an officer and in order to be an officer, you must be a U.S. Citizen.

AFDDS,

I'm in the second year of my 4 yr payback. I'm considering applying to OMS programs both within the AF as well as the Civ Sector. My question is if I decided to separate from the AF and pursue OMS training as a civilian, how could I make this transition run smoothly? I know the military will not let me apply to AF and Civ residencies simultaneously, but what about applying only to Civ programs during the fall of 2014 when my commitment is up the summer of 2015? If allowed, my plan would be go on terminal leave to begin residency on time. Not sure if you seen this done before but I figured I'd ask before the time comes.

-Thanks

It has been done before. You will need to check with the MPF to see when you would be eligible for leave when separating. You may not be able to work it exactly, depending on when your commitment runs. Best way to know is to check with the separations office to get that info.

Has anyone heard if they've been accepted to an AEGD or where they are going to be stationed? I know the board met on Monday, Oct. 22, 2012, but I don't know if they've started to release acceptance information. Best of luck to everyone!

Has anyone heard if they've been accepted to an AEGD or where they are going to be stationed? I know the board met on Monday, Oct. 22, 2012, but I don't know if they've started to release acceptance information. Best of luck to everyone!

Board results haven't been released yet.

When is the deadline for the 3 year AF HPSP?

AFDDS, any idea when assignments may start going out?

If you are talking about AEGD assignments, they will usually tell you where you are going when they tell you that you are accepted. If you don't get accepted or you turn it down, that process takes a little longer because they have to see where the holes are to fill.

I'm curious about the deadline about the 3yr HPSP as well and when the board selection meets (my recruiter told me its this Saturday the 27th). I just finished MEPs, but I need to get my ear canal cleared out.. Will the selection board look at my app even though I haven't been fully medically processed?

Just a quick question; when does the AF board convene? Is it different for every year? I heard from someone that it's somewhere around March... i think that's really late in the game considering the fact that army and navy boards convene pretty much every month (or at least every other months, from what I hear).

AFDDS or anyone else in the know have any idea if Sandy will delay the release of the AEGD-1 board results?

Just a quick question; when does the AF board convene? Is it different for every year? I heard from someone that it's somewhere around March... i think that's really late in the game considering the fact that army and navy boards convene pretty much every month (or at least every other months, from what I hear).

HPSP board for 4-year scholarships is in March (usually)

2-year and 3-year board meets in middle November. Results probably out in Middle December.

Anyone heard about base assignments or if you've been accepted to an AEGD? I know the email said, "... the overall process varies, but is usually complete within 2 weeks (sometimes earlier)." We're closing in on the two week notice and I was curious to see if anyone heard anything yet. Good luck to all!

Does anyone know what happens during the period of time between graduation (mid May) and the start of COT on July 1? Are we officially activated as soon as graduation is over? I'm curious because I'm planning my budget and I want to know if I should expect any income during the month of June, or should set aside money for rent.

Thank you for your help!

No pay between graduation and COT. No work, no pay. Stinks but fair I think.

No pay between graduation and COT. No work, no pay. Stinks but fair I think.

Yep fair enough, that's why I'm planning my budget now. Any word from the AEGD residency boards? Any idea if they email us or snail mail?

I got the information last night in an email. Headed to Nellis AFB! Very excited and looking forward to a new chapter in Las Vegas!

what are the chances of someone with a 19aa dat to get the 4 year HPSP? 3.5-3.6 GPA.

what are the chances of someone with a 19aa dat to get the 4 year HPSP? 3.5-3.6 GPA.

That's the minimum to apply, it will be an uphill battle for sure. If you really want it, you should give it a shot. Just to give you context, I had a friend with a 21 and a 3.65 that did not get the scholarship the same year I did get it. Good luck!

That's the minimum to apply, it will be an uphill battle for sure. If you really want it, you should give it a shot. Just to give you context, I had a friend with a 21 and a 3.65 that did not get the scholarship the same year I did get it. Good luck!

You were speaking about airforce right? so my chances would be much better for navy/army?

You were speaking about airforce right? so my chances would be much better for navy/army?

Yes that was for Air Force. That same friend was offered a scholarship from the Navy after he did not receive one from the Air Force. The Navy and Army need more dentists and thus can (and must) take them in larger numbers so your odds will be better with Navy and Army.

Does anyone know if there's a way to increase our time owed for loan repayment if we're on a 3 year HPSP (thus 1 year of loans)? I plan on doing a military career, so the 'time' does not scare me, but my first year loans came out to about 90k, so it would be nice to knock that out.

So Im a HPSP student and wasn't selected for AEGD-1. Im kind of disappointed but hey the world still turns.
Has anybody heard of getting bumped to acceptance?
Is credentialing for procedures a long/difficult process or is it to a certain extent arbitrary?

So Im a HPSP student and wasn't selected for AEGD-1. Im kind of disappointed but hey the world still turns.
Is credentialing for procedures a long/difficult process or is it to a certain extent arbitrary?

You're not alone my friend. I heard so much talk on here about "we have a spot for anyone who wants it" but I still got a rejection letter. Oh well

It actually happens quite frequently. Every year some that get accepted, turn it down. The number varies from year to year, but its still a possibility.

Obtaining credentials for procedures you do not have credentials for has a process. When you get to your base, you will complete a credentialing form. On it you can as for supervised privileges. If granted, you will be assigned a clinical mentor and you will be given a credenialing plan that consists of what you must do to obtain the credential. It just depends on what you want on how long it will take. Its all up to your clinical mentor and the base you are at.