This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theheartyroots

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a former PT applicant, former PT student, and current practicing PT!

I wanted to provide some insight to current and future individuals looking to apply to PT or make a career out of this. I am 2 years out of physical therapy school but it still feels like I was just applying to a program yesterday.

Please leave any and all random questions here so I can, and if other licensed therapists are on here, can help out.

Thank you!
Nana

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
How are you enjoying the profession? Do you feel it was worth the debt to income ratio? Are you comfortable/satisfied with the financial situation in your life currently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, pretty forward question but as a PT that just started out. How much do you make a year? and How much has your pay increased since your first year as a pt to a second year as a PT?

How are you enjoying the profession? Do you feel it was worth the debt to income ratio? Are you comfortable/satisfied with the financial situation in your life currently?

How are you enjoying the profession?
I love it, and there are times when I don't feel challenged. The BIGGEST challenges I have had is working with different patient personalities, and having experiences where patients doubt my plan of care because I was a new graduate. But, the BEST feeling is when I prove them wrong and I show them how I am qualified and I know what I am doing! It is so nice to see your interventions improve the patient's outcomes. My favorite is when I can take a patient who is non-ambulatory to be able to walk and regain functional independence. It's such a blessing to be able to treat the populations I did and have.

Do you feel it was worth the debt to income ratio?
Honestly--- yes and no. I am in a big amount of debt, but not like other individuals who have 200k+. After graduation I had 126k in loans and started with a 67k new grad salary. If you have over 150k of student loans as a new grad PT, maybe a different career choice might've been better.
I went for PT because it was a passion. I was lucky to get undergraduate scholarships and most of my current loans are from grad school. Some people aren't so lucky. My tip is if you get scholarships from no-name schools, CHOOSE THAT SCHOOL. Names don't matter. If I went by a name, I would have been in 200k+ in debt. It was a good decision because in the end, a physical therapist is a physical therapist.

Plan accordingly to how you will map your life. Don't blame the government or society that you graduate with a crap ton of loans. They are your responsibility and this is just the life we live in. If you want to be a physical therapist, you will pay this much for the letters after your name, and then you must return this much money for your career. It's an investment for yourself. You pay it back and then make it work. How long? It's up to you. Of course, there are low ball jobs you can take or you can make bank by selling yourself and your experience. The PT world is very OPEN.

Are you comfortable/satisfied with the financial situation in your life currently? ...I actually quit my full time salaried job in Nov and transitioned into travel PT to pay off my loans in 2.5 years vs. 10 years. It was a decision I have ZERO regrets on :) We'll see where my adventure goes!

Thanks for the questions! Let me know if you have more!

Hi, pretty forward question but as a PT that just started out. How much do you make a year? and How much has your pay increased since your first year as a pt to a second year as a PT?

I took a job at a big name hospital that is renowned in the country for rehab PT.... AKA ...they mill new graduates will low salaries and you can't ever get a raise because even if you quit, they'll hire another new grad after you. I made 67k for my first job, then I quit 1.5 years later to make more as a travel PT. I'm just starting with travel so I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I'm getting paid more than DOUBLE what I made as a salaried PT. It's going pretty well so far.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

I'm a former PT applicant, former PT student, and current practicing PT!

I wanted to provide some insight to current and future individuals looking to apply to PT or make a career out of this. I am 2 years out of physical therapy school but it still feels like I was just applying to a program yesterday.

Please leave any and all random questions here so I can, and if other licensed therapists are on here, can help out.

Thank you!
Nana
Currently debating between schools with a price difference of about $50,000. Noticed you said pick the cheaper school since a PT is a PT. Did you go to a “no-name”/smaller school? Do you feel confident in your PT skills compared to people who went to more recognized programs? Also what is your monthly loan payment if you don’t mind me asking?
Thank you for taking time out of your day to answer questions for future physical therapists!

Do you have any advice for someone interested in gaining a DPT degree AND doing research/working as faculty at a University. Would getting my PT degree first, then PhD be the best way? Or can you still work in a university with just a DPT degree?
TIA!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Are you comfortable/satisfied with the financial situation in your life currently? ...I actually quit my full time salaried job in Nov and transitioned into travel PT to pay off my loans in 2.5 years vs. 10 years. It was a decision I have ZERO regrets on :) We'll see where my adventure goes!

Thanks for the questions! Let me know if you have more!

What was the travel PT job like? Like what kind of places were you, did you have trouble coping with the new areas, what type of PT jobs were you doing, pretty much any and every detail about the experience you're willing to share as I've heard that and Home Health are the best ways to pay off debt early! Thank you for being so open and answering these by the way!

I took a job at a big name hospital that is renowned in the country for rehab PT.... AKA ...they mill new graduates will low salaries and you can't ever get a raise because even if you quit, they'll hire another new grad after you. I made 67k for my first job, then I quit 1.5 years later to make more as a travel PT. I'm just starting with travel so I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I'm getting paid more than DOUBLE what I made as a salaried PT. It's going pretty well so far.

Could you also talk a bit about how to get a travel PT job? Can new grads get these right off the bat or do they need a bit of experience under their belt first? What types of travel PT jobs are out there? Thanks!

So above you mentioned go to the cheaper school even if it’s a no-name school. I’m currently in between two schools and it’s the hardest decision ever. The price difference is pretty huge. One school is 112k and the other school is 140k after scholarships. The 140k school is located in Philadelphia and the other is in Virginia. I feel that the possibilities in Philadelphia are greater since it’s a bigger City but the price of living and the school is more expensive. The schools have equal stats in terms of first time pass rates and employment and stuff like that. Any suggestions would be a big help!! Thank you!!

So above you mentioned go to the cheaper school even if it’s a no-name school. I’m currently in between two schools and it’s the hardest decision ever. The price difference is pretty huge. One school is 112k and the other school is 140k after scholarships. The 140k school is located in Philadelphia and the other is in Virginia. I feel that the possibilities in Philadelphia are greater since it’s a bigger City but the price of living and the school is more expensive. The schools have equal stats in terms of first time pass rates and employment and stuff like that. Any suggestions would be a big help!! Thank you!!

Same situation except NYC vs FL and >$200K vs 60K. Plz helppp!

Currently debating between schools with a price difference of about $50,000. Noticed you said pick the cheaper school since a PT is a PT. Did you go to a “no-name”/smaller school? Do you feel confident in your PT skills compared to people who went to more recognized programs? Also what is your monthly loan payment if you don’t mind me asking?
Thank you for taking time out of your day to answer questions for future physical therapists!

So this is the big question to ask! I have recently wrote my blog about this question on figuring this out.

I had to make a difficult choice as well with what school I went to. The school I was in LOVE with gave me no financial aid, so it was straight up 120k for the entire program. I actually ended up going to my alma mater, who ended up being nationally ranked as a program as well...and I paid 80k for the whole thing. You need to decide what your priorities are, and being happier in one environment vs. the other is not a dealbreaker.

Prioritize first what you are looking for in a school:
1. passing RATE : if you see below <95%... I would think about whether the other factors are worth it. A school should want their students to pass because ultimately it will look bad on their program. They need to prioritize on you if you end up struggling so they will give you the right resources.
2. type of curriculum and structure you learn best with
3. access to research if you're interested in this (doing research with a professor or how prioritized this is vs none at all) : if you are looking to do research, many programs offer tag-alongs onto a professors research to eventually present at APTA CSM (PT conference). I was interested initially and ended up not doing research with my professor anymore because I preferred doing an independent case study. My case report was eventually accepted to the PT conference (national) and I got to present by myself :). There are ways to do things on your own!
4. access to things because you're in a city vs. suburbs is not a huge deal. You don't need access to things, once you have your degree you may need to make some leeway to get into hospitals you want to work but what you can do is ask where clinicals are usually placed. The other thing you could do is during your school semester breaks, reach out to places that you see yourself working at and start making connections like that. That is ultimately what I ended up doing because once you have your degree you are marketable anywhere.
5. I did not love how my curriculum was structured. I had to do self study 95% of the time because my brain did not work the way they were teaching it. In the end, you just need an accredited school with a fair passing rate. The rest of it is really up to you whether you will have the tools and put it all together yourself. Some people think the school matters a lot... but i feel like whether I went to a more expensive school i dreamed of vs. where I ended up going, I will be stuck in a library either way. You make your way up and you make yourself pass. I know it's not a great answer but all these little things that you look at are so small when in the end it is the degree you need.
6. Making your choice based on how happy you'll be is not a strong basis. When you're out in the "adult world", you're out in the adult world alone. You are the one responsible for your debts and income. Make the adult decision on what is financially best for your future so you don't end up with a huge pile of stress/debt over your shoulders when you graduate. I was about to choose my "happy place" because I always wanted to live in a city....but I didn't. And sometimes, the money is really not worth it. I would have been more stressed if I had 140k+ more debt in my life and basically I would be enslaved to this debt for my working career. Not a nice feeling.

This is a big decision to choose but ultimately it is 3 years of your life you are investing in a place. Hope this insight helped!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If you don’t mind me asking, as a travel PT, are you part of an agency or are you self-employed? Do you feel that you have to work more/harder as a travel PT? Less time to do paperwork due to traveling to places?

Thanks for your time!

So this is the big question to ask! I have recently wrote my blog about this question on figuring this out.

I had to make a difficult choice as well with what school I went to. The school I was in LOVE with gave me no financial aid, so it was straight up 120k for the entire program. I actually ended up going to my alma mater, who ended up being nationally ranked as a program as well...and I paid 80k for the whole thing. You need to decide what your priorities are, and being happier in one environment vs. the other is not a dealbreaker.

Prioritize first what you are looking for in a school:
1. passing RATE : if you see below <95%... I would think about whether the other factors are worth it. A school should want their students to pass because ultimately it will look bad on their program. They need to prioritize on you if you end up struggling so they will give you the right resources.
2. type of curriculum and structure you learn best with
3. access to research if you're interested in this (doing research with a professor or how prioritized this is vs none at all) : if you are looking to do research, many programs offer tag-alongs onto a professors research to eventually present at APTA CSM (PT conference). I was interested initially and ended up not doing research with my professor anymore because I preferred doing an independent case study. My case report was eventually accepted to the PT conference (national) and I got to present by myself :). There are ways to do things on your own!
4. access to things because you're in a city vs. suburbs is not a huge deal. You don't need access to things, once you have your degree you may need to make some leeway to get into hospitals you want to work but what you can do is ask where clinicals are usually placed. The other thing you could do is during your school semester breaks, reach out to places that you see yourself working at and start making connections like that. That is ultimately what I ended up doing because once you have your degree you are marketable anywhere.
5. I did not love how my curriculum was structured. I had to do self study 95% of the time because my brain did not work the way they were teaching it. In the end, you just need an accredited school with a fair passing rate. The rest of it is really up to you whether you will have the tools and put it all together yourself. Some people think the school matters a lot... but i feel like whether I went to a more expensive school i dreamed of vs. where I ended up going, I will be stuck in a library either way. You make your way up and you make yourself pass. I know it's not a great answer but all these little things that you look at are so small when in the end it is the degree you need.
6. Making your choice based on how happy you'll be is not a strong basis. When you're out in the "adult world", you're out in the adult world alone. You are the one responsible for your debts and income. Make the adult decision on what is financially best for your future so you don't end up with a huge pile of stress/debt over your shoulders when you graduate. I was about to choose my "happy place" because I always wanted to live in a city....but I didn't. And sometimes, the money is really not worth it. I would have been more stressed if I had 140k+ more debt in my life and basically I would be enslaved to this debt for my working career. Not a nice feeling.

This is a big decision to choose but ultimately it is 3 years of your life you are investing in a place. Hope this insight helped!

Preach on brother! This is exactly what I have been telling people. Thanks for all the insights!

Do you have any advice for someone interested in gaining a DPT degree AND doing research/working as faculty at a University. Would getting my PT degree first, then PhD be the best way? Or can you still work in a university with just a DPT degree?
TIA!! :)
There are different routes to this. I would get my PT degree first so you have a basis for knowledge if you decide to make your research about anatomy or exercise physiology. A lot of professors at my program have their PhD's. They get it after their DPT.

Thanks for your questions!

I just started travel PT. The work demands are different as are the expectations. There are people who start it right off the bat. The way you need to get into this is through an agency. You can't really going through it independently. The agency finds a job that you approve of and you submit your application. I decided to work 1 year and then do travel because these travel jobs are not always glorious- they are contracted for a reason. The reasons could include maternity leave, leave of absence, fluctuating needs or staff changes....or..... the facility just sucks and people get burned out easily. I know people who just did traveling right off the bat. There are agencies who could work to get you an assignment that accepts new grads and will provide you mentorship...but that's not always the case. I chose to work because I wanted to build my clinical skills and foundation first. At my first travel job, they threw me into a full caseload by day 3, and I was fine with that. If it was any longer, I would've been bored! So it all depends on where you decide to do your assignment. And there are sooo many resources out there to help guide you.

I have been writing more about that on my blog so if you ever feel like googling my username you can follow me on my journey! (Not trying to advertise because truly I don't have all the answers yet. I just started traveling!) Hope this helped!

Hi I am currently in my first year of undergrad. I enrolled with a direct admit position into the DPT program. At the time I felt very sure of the decision of going the PT route. However I had one of my professors talk to me about looking into switching to a pre-med as he believes that I would excel there. I have had interest in the path in the past, but never thought it was a realistic goal. Now that I have been talking with my professor I've been doing more research, and found much interest in the MD/DO especially with the sports medicine specialty. However it is a very difficult decision to drop my spot in the PT program as that is basically a guarantee where the pre-med route is very risky. This summer I plan on doing shadowing hours with PTs and MD/DOs, and will also be volunteering within a hospital. Currently I am an exercise science major with a biochem minor. Adding the biochem minor meets majority of the requirements of pre-med while also fulfilling my requirements to keep my PT spot. My academic adviser has advised me to make a full commitment to a field by the end of next year. I was looking for any advice and perhaps what you are enjoying about your field?

Hi I am currently in my first year of undergrad. I enrolled with a direct admit position into the DPT program. At the time I felt very sure of the decision of going the PT route. However I had one of my professors talk to me about looking into switching to a pre-med as he believes that I would excel there. I have had interest in the path in the past, but never thought it was a realistic goal. Now that I have been talking with my professor I've been doing more research, and found much interest in the MD/DO especially with the sports medicine specialty. However it is a very difficult decision to drop my spot in the PT program as that is basically a guarantee where the pre-med route is very risky. This summer I plan on doing shadowing hours with PTs and MD/DOs, and will also be volunteering within a hospital. Currently I am an exercise science major with a biochem minor. Adding the biochem minor meets majority of the requirements of pre-med while also fulfilling my requirements to keep my PT spot. My academic adviser has advised me to make a full commitment to a field by the end of next year. I was looking for any advice and perhaps what you are enjoying about your field?

Thank you for the question! That is a tough decision, you sound like a very bright individual. The best thing about being a PT, and why I became one, is to restore hope in patients that have lost function. I decided to take this route because I wanted to be part of the rehabilitation process for people with amputations. It is very rewarding to see someone who was robbed of living a life because an unfortunate accident or health issues. I love helping people realize that they can do a lot more for themselves than they think they can. I work primarily in the neuro population because that's where I see my most reward of helping people.

In the case of being a MD/DO, my sister is actually in her 4th year of her surgery residency. I don't have the personality or honestly the drive to pursue something that is so intensive intellectually, physically, and emotionally. I am not discrediting physical therapy school as easy, but it is definitely a much easier route to take vs. being a doctor and going through rigorous course work and working long hours through your rotations. My sister knew she wanted to be a surgeon since she was a very very little kid. I feel like people who decide to be a Dr usually have that mentality, and they were working their entire lives up to it.

You have to think about where you see yourself in 10 years. You finish PT school in 2-3 years after undergrad. An MD/DO program will be undergrad + med school + residency + fellowship if you decide to specialize. It is a lot of your life, almost half of your adult life invested into your career. My sister definitely has times where she wants to quit, but she cannot see herself doing anything else.

See where you think you want to be in the course of care. The amazing thing about being a PT is that you can see people pre-op, post-op, and far along their path to recovery. You definitely have more power as an MD/DO, but that came with a big cost-- of time, energy, devotion, and $$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!

I graduated with 125k debt (~30k from under grad, ~85k for PT school). My sister is not done yet and she is paying income based as a resident making <60k, on loans that currently total up to $275,000.

Hope this gives you some insight!
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any more questions!

Hello, I am in the process of getting ready to apply to DPT programs by this upcoming fall. I know that every school has different observation requirements whether or not they accept paid work. I just interviewed and was offered a position as a Physical Therapy Technician. Would you say that having this experience will look good on a resume for grad school, even if they do not accept paid work for observation hours?

Hello, I am in the process of getting ready to apply to DPT programs by this upcoming fall. I know that every school has different observation requirements whether or not they accept paid work. I just interviewed and was offered a position as a Physical Therapy Technician. Would you say that having this experience will look good on a resume for grad school, even if they do not accept paid work for observation hours?

I would def add that as a goal. It not only looks good on your resume that you've been interested in PT early on but it gives you patient experience and that direct contact that is much different from observing. Plus you start building a good rapport with PT's that may possibly write you a future reference for how you have a good work ethic and love PT!!

Def do it if you have time to ! Hope this helps!

Thank you for your question :)

Where did you go for PT school?
Also do you know how much a travel PT fresh out of school makes?
Thanks

You said you had 85k in loans from PT school. Does that include tuition and housing or is it just tuition? Also, can you give an update on your travel PT experience? How are the housing situations and do you feel like it's something you will do long term?

Do you find that you have free time to pursue hobbies or side hustles?