Ask a DPT Admissions Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good Evening @IndianaDPT:

I just wanted to ask for your advice as far as my numbers are concerned and if my numbers are fairly competitive for other programs.

I just heard back from a program that does rolling admissions and they stated that they will notify me witin 4 weeks if I can be admitted to their program.If I hypothethically get in, what do you think is the benefit of submitting a deposit versus waiting it out on other schools?

Your input has been greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@hope4baylor:

My apologies for the delay; we are wrapping up our admission cycle on Tuesday and have been busy!

Indiana University provides guidance and it doesn't hurt to ask programs. I would always err on the side of caution. Something I have heard from faculty is that all applicants should follow the 3-B rule. No boobs, no bellies, and no butts. Interviewers are not conducting a beauty contest and they are not interested in your undergarments.

If you have tattoos or extensive body art (piercings, huge earring things), I would take them out if possible.

Both men and women are suggested in IU's program to wear business attire. You don't need to wear a formal gown or a tuxedo! But a coat and tie with slacks for men or a suit, and a business suit w/long skirt or pantsuit is acceptable for women.

Just remember the 3B rule and you should be fine! But no Hawaiian shirts or flashy stuff, please.

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
@1027453812:

Thanks for your message, and I apologize for the delay in response!

I think this all depends on whether the rolling admission program you are considering is your preferred choice. If it is and you are not as competitive as you'd like for other programs, and you want to go there, go ahead and deposit.

Every year a few students opt to withdraw after depositing with IU. This is normal. Programs expect some of their deposited students to withdraw, whether for personal reasons or to take up a position in another program.

Typically we give a couple of weeks to make a decision and deposit, so there is a time factor. In addition you don't want to deposit at 3-4 places when you know you can only attend one program.

So there are a lot of factors to weigh. If you're comfortable and happy with the rolling admission program offer, then go ahead and deposit, and you can withdraw from the other program pools. If not, hold out for at least about half the time and see what other offers shake out.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi, I am starting to write my response to the PTCAS question, "does your academic record accurately reflect your academic ability." I didn't do well in some of my science classes (received C's) and I want to explain how I did not have a strong science background and was overwhelmed with the content of the courses but through the experience I have grown as a student (I have retaken a few and received A's and B's). The experience helped me to learn better study habits and learned to get help from my peers, teachers, tutoring, and workshops. I am looking to write something along these lines but I'm wondering if it sounds too much like an excuse. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

@dlsf:

Thanks for your question. Typically responses to the PTCAS question you cite are about issues beyond the control of the student. These might include personal hardships such as family emergencies, personal health crises, interactions with law enforcement, etc.

I do not generally see many applicants claim under-preparedness as their rationale in this regard.

Since you have repeated prerequisites the committee is aware of this, and likely the previous grades to not count toward prerequisite GPA, or at worse count in tandem with the courses you've repeated.

I cannot see any gain in answering this question unless there were bona fide issues beyond your control that contributed to the original performance.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello,
Thank for answering all these questions. I haven't looked through all your answers yet but I wanted your opinion on some things.

1. How important is it to do a research assistant position as an undergrad to get into PT school? Does it help at all or should I just focus on grades and PT experience? I'm considering taking up a research opportunity at the hospital working with the geriatric psychiatry dept.

2. Would it be beneficial to show your diversity as an applicant through extracurricular activities? For example: doing a lot of musical related extracurriculars. A lot of the advice I've read for med school applicants say strongly recommend doing so, so I was curious if it would actually help you stand out among others who've only done the regular volunteering/shadowing.

3. Do PT schools consider heavy course load when looking at GPA?

Thank you!

@MightyLuna:

Thanks for your message. In response to your questions:

1. Depends on the program. I could review each program's admission criteria, and look at the curriculum to determine if independent or joint research is required. If required, this suggests that undergraduate research, if not officially required is useful in an admission process. Generally I am an advocate for research, so long as it is complimentary and does not compete with your academic performance in other ways.

2. Again, this depends on the program. Many programs vary in their weighting for extra-curricular activities. Take up options that support your interests, like pre-PT Club, but if you are going to do it, show leadership either formally or informally. Don't just join to join and have a line on your resume. Every commitment you undertake should have a rationale, and hopefully will be related to professional preparation for PT school. Faculty want to work with engaging people who do interesting things. Will focusing on music-related activities be a determining factor? Probably not. But talking about music and dance, which has to do with body movements/mechanics, may be useful.

3. Generally I do not think so. We can tell the number of credits and the GPA, but I doubt many programs get "in the weeds" to determine your average course load or weight course load in a GPA calculation.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi Josh,

I have a question about interviews. I know you can probably only speak to the admissions process at IU but you may be able to make generalizations about programs in general also. My question is, how much weight is put on interviews in regards to admission. Are they just as important as stats, or are they just a weeding out process for applicants who have poor people skills?

Thank you for your time!

-K

@666666 :

Thanks for your question! Of course the interview is a mandatory part of many admission processes, and how it is viewed varies by program.

It seems to me that there are a number of possible answers depending on the preference of the faculty. Some programs publish the weight of interview scores on their websites, so you might look carefully there. This will give you an idea of the relative importance of an interview.

Some programs value the interview highly and use it as a significant portion of the overall candidate evaluation. Others view it as a way to evaluate candidates and ensure they understand the program to which they've applied and are aware of the particular strengths of the program. It's also a way to help ensure that PT in this case is the right occupational choice for the candidate, so that a program is less likely to admit someone who really would prefer to be an X, Y, or Z, rather than a PT.

I would guess that the plurality of programs use the interview in combination to both ensure the candidates are aware of the PT profession and the program itself, as well as to ensure that what is shown on paper and in the written statements match the candidate.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Josh, in your experience, what would cause an applicant to be rejected after his/her interview (instead of being put on the waiting list, for example)? I assume that admissions give interviews only to those whose stats look good and whom they can potentially accept; how can an interview change that?

@easb:

I can think of a number of reasons, but you can probably guess them as well. Generally what I have seen are (very few) candidates coming in completely under-prepared. This means they cannot articulate anything substantive about the program or the profession. Some candidates, despite our exhortations, come in with inappropriate attire, which speaks to professionalism.

We have to remember that PT programs are professional programs. They prepare professionals to do professional, generally well-compensated work. It's a profession based on performance and the difference that therapists make in the lives of patients. Those who do poorly may be "nixed" from the admission offer group entirely, and are often no longer considered, which means they do not make an alternate list.

Let me make up a hypothetical. Applicant comes in with very strong academics and good GRE scores. S/he is in the top third of the pre-interview group. Comes in to interview day and cannot articulate their interest in the DPT program for which they are interviewing. Cannot speak to any of the major issues surrounding PT practice, like reimbursement rates, direct access (now available in Indiana, thanks to the hard work of a lot of people), case loads and administration, etc. Is not so sure s/he wants to be a PT, and did all their observation in one site where s/he "knows" they want to work after graduation.

In light of all these issues, the academic performance is only one factor in an admission decision. If the candidate is not completely committed to PT, knows little or nothing about the program and the profession, does this give you confidence that the person will succeed and thrive in the program? I doubt it.

I would say that a candidate should be honest and forthcoming about any issues with their background, such as poor academic performance one semester or year. The committee wants to get to know the candidate at some level, otherwise an interview would not be used. Don't just address this and explain the situation in one or two sentences, but take it a step further and describe what was learned, what growth happened.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Josh, in your experience, what would cause an applicant to be rejected after his/her interview (instead of being put on the waiting list, for example)? I assume that admissions give interviews only to those whose stats look good and whom they can potentially accept; how can an interview change that?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Josh, I am preparing for an interview. If this question is asked, "Are there other careers you would consider if you don't get into PT school?", my truthful answer would be, "I am 100% committed to being a PT and would reapply next cycle, but I also have to be realistic and will consider other career options." Would I be better off leaving the latter part out? Do I have to convey absolute unwavering passion for this field and forgo mentioning backup options? I love the idea of becoming a PT, but the only reason why I am hesitant is the financial debt that I would accumulate scares me. Obviously schools don't want to hear about that. I guess what I am trying to ask is, are they looking for cookie cutter responses?
Thank you for your time!

@housestark:

Great nickname, I do enjoy GoT quite a bit.

I don't think the question would be asked in quite that way, but I do think it is relevant to know what other health care careers a candidate has considered. Again it's more about the reasoning and rationale. It's OK to have considered other professions, but you need to articulate the reasons why those options aren't for you. It has to be more than just a positive experience observing a PT or having PT services yourself.

I think your proposed answer is acceptable, but it is not detailed. No, programs aren't looking for any one response; they are looking for a thoughtful, mature response based on reflection and self-knowledge. Everyone is concerned about costs of PT programs and debt, but think of debt as a percentage of lifetime income and it becomes much, much more manageable. I often tell students that they won't be eating Top Ramen all their lives, unless they really, really enjoy Top Ramen.

To be more direct, I do not think you have to bend the truth. If you've considered other careers, that is OK. What is most relevant is how you've come to understand that PT is the profession you want to spend a life in, and show a commitment to it.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi Josh,

I just got placed as an alternate for 2 different schools. What are some reasons why an applicant would be waitlisted? I had an interview with 1 school and no interview with the other. Was I placed on the alternate list because I didn't perform well during the interview? Does the school want to see how I will improve my application?

Thanks for your time,
Dave

@preptdavid

Thanks for your question. This is a common occurrence to be placed on an alternate list. A few preliminaries:

Alternates are generally those candidates that are acceptable academically but are not the most competitive when all factors are accounted for in the admission process. However, do not give up hope. When offers are made, some candidates do not accept. In addition, some programs ask candidates if they wish to appear on an alternate list. Some candidates decline and therefore are removed from the admission pool and the alternate list. So it is quite possible to go from X on the alternate list to X-5 or 10 quite easily depending on what happens in both lists.

Applicants are put on alternate lists because there is not enough room in the class to admit everyone who is qualified and who did not eliminate themselves at the interview stage. Some candidates perform so poorly and show themselves so unfit to be students or future professionals that the committee is forced to remove them from consideration. This may happen to a few candidates in each interview pool, but it is not commonly done in my experience.

I don't know how you could improve your application at this point since all the academic data should be static. For the program that doesn't interview, it's likely that your ranking based on academics and other materials submitted just wasn't in their top group. Again you could be called to join the program if space is available.

So keep up the hope and don't freak out about things -- you'll likely have other offers to consider and whether you were an alternate or not won't matter once you're in the program.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello Mr. Morrison,

I have a question I would like to get your opinion on. For this question, assume that all of the DPT programs I am applying to allow applications with two unfinished prerequisite courses, and also only require my baccalaureates degree to be completed by the start of the program in the fall.

Right now, I have enough time to either finish my four-year degree with two prerequisite courses unfinished (physics III and chemistry III) at time of application; or I have enough time to finish all prerequisites before applying for a program, but I will still need two courses to graduate. The two courses I would need for graduation are only offered in the spring semester, so I will have to complete them in the spring after applying in that scenario.

Which scenario, at the time of a mid-fall application deadline, would give me the best chance of being accepted into a program?

1. All requirements completed except two prerequisite courses, which I will be taking at the time of application; or

2. All requirements completed except my baccalaureates degree, which will be completed at the end of spring semester.

Thank you for you assistance,

Ian

Last edited:
@Ian M:

If programs allow two prerequisites outstanding, then you can have two prerequisites outstanding without difficulty. The most clever option is to do whichever option will mean that your cumulative and prerequisite GPA are the highest at application deadline.

If that means you take both prerequisites early, then great. If it means you delay them until the spring, that's OK also. As always you want to make the strongest academic case for your candidacy.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello Mr. Morrison,

I have a question I would like to get your opinion on. For this question, assume that all of the DPT programs I am applying to allow applications with two unfinished prerequisite courses, and also only require my baccalaureates degree to be completed by the start of the program in the fall.

Right now, I have enough time to either finish my four-year degree with two prerequisite courses unfinished (physics III and chemistry III) at time of application; or I have enough time to finish all prerequisites before applying for a program, but I will still need two courses to graduate. The two courses I would need for graduation are only offered in the spring semester, so I will have to complete them in the spring after applying in that scenario.

Which scenario, at the time of a mid-fall application deadline, would give me the best chance of being accepted into a program?

1. All requirements completed except two prerequisite courses, which I will be taking at the time of application; or

2. All requirements completed except my baccalaureates degree, which will be completed at the end of spring semester.

Thank you for you assistance,

Ian

Hi Josh,

Thanks for doing this! What are the etiquette rules for following up with the admissions counselor at a school? Does it annoy you when people check in every few weeks? Can it harm your chances?

I'm asking because I've heard horror stories of competitive applications being lost or a prerequisite being overlooked etc. so I'm constantly anxious and wanting to check my statuses!

@livelifelifting :

Thanks for your note. As someone who works with admissions and literally hundreds of applicant files, I can say that sometimes errors do occur, but they are often caught well before an interview or admission offers are made.

Typically programs provide a timeline for expected notices and their website may be updated if an unexpected delay happens. What you can ask for is a receipt of your application. Many programs, including IU, provide a lot of communication with candidates using the PTCAS system. This means your email must be correct in PTCAS in order for the messages to reach you. Often because of the volume it is very difficult to go back and ensure that every message is opened by every candidate, though PTCAS does track the disposition of messages sent through the system.

So the bottom line is, if you must ask, ask once for a timeline and to ensure that your application was received and is complete. You might ask via email so that the admissions staff know that the message comes from you and not someone posing as you via phone.

With regard to the impact, it is difficult to know because not all committees include admissions staff in the deliberations. The best advice is to be calm and courteous to everyone you interact with, and be thankful for the effort of those who help you along the way. Being in admissions is often a thankless task, so a little kindness never hurts.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Ian M,
You should also talk with someone in Financial Aid at your school. In one case, you would be taking your prerequisite courses while you are an undergraduate, and in the other case you will be taking them post-graduation. There may be differences in the cost of the courses. There will very likely be differences in the possibility or amount of financial aid, scholarships if you have one, or student loans.

In general, I agree with Josh. Choose the one that makes you the best candidate.

Josh, it's incredible that you make yourself available on this forum to answer our questions. Bonus points for being a GoT fan! You reminded me to focus on the rationale and that really put things in perspective for me. I wasn't asked that question in my interview today, but I made sure I answered all the questions thoughtfully and honestly. Thanks!

Happy to help, housestark. Best wishes for success in this application cycle, and feel free to write any time.

Cheers,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Josh, it's incredible that you make yourself available on this forum to answer our questions. Bonus points for being a GoT fan! You reminded me to focus on the rationale and that really put things in perspective for me. I wasn't asked that question in my interview today, but I made sure I answered all the questions thoughtfully and honestly. Thanks!

@IndianaDPT & @HughLee ,
Thank you for the responses. I decided I will finish my degree first.

Josh, I do have one additional question, although I think the answer may be very similar to your first answer. I have adjusted my schedule so that at the time of application, I will either have two quarters outstanding in physics, or two quarters outstanding in chemistry. I am confident I will do equally well in each subject. Do you think there is one subject an admissions director would prefer to see completed between chemistry and physics?

Thank you again,
Ian

@ Ian M:

Thanks for following up. I don't think there is a preference in terms of what is outstanding. Again, make your best case so if you are slightly more attuned to one subject, go complete that one first.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello Mr. Morrison,

Over the last few months I have been researching a number of different DPT programs across the country and have methodically selected a number of programs to apply to based on certain criteria. My question to you is, if I were fortunate enough to get accepted to a few programs and have to choose one, how important is a programs ranking or reputation ? Not only in terms of future employment but overall their role in producing skilled physical therapists and preparing you for the job. Would you advise against selecting a low ranking program over a top ranking DPT program (If I were selecting a lower ranked school for reasons such as, significantly lower tuition, or convenient geographic location)? Thanks !

Last edited:
@Chicity23 :

Thanks for your message. This is a common question and I'm glad you bring it up.

My view, which may not be shared by all, is this: Rankings reflect, for the most part, program quality. Program quality is measured by certain things, like faculty research output, quality of educational experience, first-time board pass rates, and so forth. I am more interested in the quality of the faculty, the learning experiences, and first-time board pass rate than I am a ranking per se. Another aspect of the ranking is generally program prestige or notoriety. This is not directly related to program quality but a perception of quality.

So if I were comparing programs, I would first look at program first-time pass rate on the board exam, as well as quality of life and educational experiences, particularly clinical exposure. Other factors might be quality of life, recreation/activity opportunities, student outreach and voluntarism, etc.

It's a multi-faceted question, and you have to weigh the items based on your own priorities. The PT program you attend matters in terms of your entry-level preparation and ability to pass the board exam. After that, it tends to matter less because you've passed the exam and shown a certain level of competence. You can obtain a very high quality PT education experience at nonprofit public institutions, or a very high quality PT experience at a nonprofit independent (private) institution. It just depends on what other features come with that education.

Good luck! Most applicants tend to have at least one offer, and so you'll likely have choices. It's three years of your life, so it's an important decision, but not one to stress over greatly.

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hello Mr. Morrison,

I would love your input on something. One particular DPT school emailed me yesterday and said that because of my Science GPA being a 2.93, they could not consider me for their school. In the letter, they stated that otherwise I had a strong application. In the mean time, I just completed 2 science prerequisites this past week ( Anatomy & Physiology 2 and Physics 1 with Labs) and received a letter grade of an "A" in both classes and Labs. Obviously, that will bring my Science GPA up quite a bit. Since I just got the email yesterday, should I go ahead and email them back to let them know about my Fall grades with the 2 science prerequisites of A's. I wasn't sure if the email was their final decision, or do schools typically consider the new grades even after they sent a decision?

@PT246: Thanks for your note. Generally programs cannot consider items that are not submitted on or before the application deadline. So if the deadline was November 1, and your transcript was updated December 5, you can tell that those grades would not apply toward the prerequisite calculation because the courses were done after the application deadline when all materials are due.

This often happens, and the Academic Update allows programs to view new academic transcript data that is uploaded by candidates and verified through PTCAS or manually by the program.

You're welcome to contact the program, but know that the answer is likely that the courses you have completed cannot be considered due to fairness reasons -- if you are allowed to use those courses, it means that everyone else in similar circumstances should be allowed to use any updated fall courses as well in order to treat everyone the same way. Of course, that comes with its own challenges.

I expect the message they sent represents a final decision. Typically the letter would say something like we appreciate your interest but you are ineligible, and so your application cannot be reviewed for admission. This is a kind way of saying your application is declined.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Thank you for the quick response. It was very helpful!

Hi Josh,

I was wondering if you could tell me about my chances of getting into PT school next year.

B.A in Economics (Minor in Management) at UC Irvine- 3.5 GPA
Pre-Req GPA - 3.6-3.8 (depends on the program)
200+ hours outpatient; 70 hours at SNF
1150 GRE Score with a 4 on writing (740 on Q, 410 on V)
Volunteer at OC Rescue Mission, play Intermural basketball and softball, and do charity work for my church as well.

I have one withdrawal on my transcript which worries me about my chances, as well as my low verbal GRE score (but some schools only care about a combined score of 1000 so my withdrawal worries me more).

I plan on applying to around 15 schools (mostly in California because I reside here)... do you think I should apply to more? And what do you think my chances are?

Thanks!!

@ktachiba:

Thanks for your message. Certainly your cumulative and prerequisite GPA is not out of the ordinary. They are likely competitive for some programs, but may not be as competitive for others. I would say several candidates with your academic profile are offered admission at IU yearly.

Generally the GRE Verbal score is low, I would expect at least 50%ile if not higher. I would not worry about a W. A withdrawal has no independent meaning. Who knows why a student withdrew? As long as they are not excessive (like 10-20), I wouldn't consider that a factor to be concerned with.

15 programs is a lot of applications and a lot of money, particularly for PTCAS programs. Why not narrow it down to 5 that you can visit and really get a sense for? At some point keeping track of 15 application dates, requirements, and concern about 15 accept or reject notices (or alternate notices) could be maddening.

If I were to do anything, it would be to improve the Verbal GRE score. Otherwise, I expect you'll have options.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Thanks Josh! Yeah I think I might redo the verbal portion of the GRE...I'm glad to hear that my withdrawal won't hurt my chances. I will probably narrow my choices down now. Thanks again!

Hey Josh!

Quick question, I am currently a Junior and am looking into gaining observation hours/getting an internship for this summer. Should I look into hospitals or private clinics? Also, I am looking into getting a job that pertains to PT, as I have been lifeguarding for the past 5 years or so. What types of jobs do you recommend that I look into to bolster my application?

Thanks,
Nick!

Hi Josh,

I was fortunate enough to get invited to an interview. Sadly, I bombed the interview or the essay, but I want to reapply next cycle, since I was invited to the interview, does that mean I look good enough on paper and that I wouldn't need to retake classes to get a better grade?

Thanks!

@phillyfan49 :

Thanks for your message. Really I think the internships you select should be based on your interests and be related to things like pathophysiology, muscle movement/measurement, kinesiology, etc. But they should be selected based on what you'll get out of them, not necessarily the area of the internship.

Regarding PT observation, make sure you observe both inpatient and outpatient PT. I recommend a wide variety of settings and at least 10 hours in each setting location (such that you have multiple inpatient and outpatient observations). Interviewers are interested in your depth and breadth of knowledge about PT and what you've experienced in clinical settings. Obtaining a variety of observations is very helpful to (a) answer questions about PT practices you've observed and (b) may help you determine an area of interest to articulate, which may help you narrow program choices.

If you are looking for positions, something in exercise physiology or PT technician may be helpful. Interacting with patients, medical records/data, and those who have other needs besides PT will be of use to you.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@INVOCATION:

Thanks for writing, and I'm sorry to hear about your struggles this cycle. Use what feedback you can, judiciously, and improve your profile for the next cycle if you are convinced that PT is the career for you.

That you made it to the interview means that you were competitive academically for this cycle. It does not mean anything by itself for future admission cycles. Therefore I recommend you improve any areas of weakness in the application proper, such as LOR, personal statements, interview preparation. In addition, review your prerequisites and see if you can improve that GPA. If so, and it is within the rules of your anticipated program choices, then go ahead and improve. There's no harm (except of course time and money) in repeating prerequisites to improve your academics.

Each cycle and pool is different. We have situations where the averages go down, or the averages go up. This year we're on a bit of an upswing, and candidates who would have likely been admitted last year or two years ago are not being interviewed this cycle. One can never tell, so it is best to prepare and make your best case each cycle.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

@INVOCATION:

Thanks for writing, and I'm sorry to hear about your struggles this cycle. Use what feedback you can, judiciously, and improve your profile for the next cycle if you are convinced that PT is the career for you.

That you made it to the interview means that you were competitive academically for this cycle. It does not mean anything by itself for future admission cycles. Therefore I recommend you improve any areas of weakness in the application proper, such as LOR, personal statements, interview preparation. In addition, review your prerequisites and see if you can improve that GPA. If so, and it is within the rules of your anticipated program choices, then go ahead and improve. There's no harm (except of course time and money) in repeating prerequisites to improve your academics.

Each cycle and pool is different. We have situations where the averages go down, or the averages go up. This year we're on a bit of an upswing, and candidates who would have likely been admitted last year or two years ago are not being interviewed this cycle. One can never tell, so it is best to prepare and make your best case each cycle.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Thank you for the advice! This is one of my biggest passions in life. I will take your advice and retake some classes as well as improve my interview skills. Thank you again!

Hi Josh,

I was curious about something...when I attended UC Irvine, they had a +/- system, meaning you could get a B+ or a B-...at this community college I'm going to for my pre-requisite courses, they don't have a +/- system, so an 89% is the same grade as an 80%... I feel like that isn't fair for the students who attend schools that have a +/- system. Do you factor in the grading system of the school when reviewing applications?

@ktachiba,

Thanks for your note. No, most admission committees will not have this information and thus will not take it into account. Those using PTCAS will likely use the PTCAS GPA they indicate on their admission websites.

Best,

Josh

Hi Josh,

I was curious about something...when I attended UC Irvine, they had a +/- system, meaning you could get a B+ or a B-...at this community college I'm going to for my pre-requisite courses, they don't have a +/- system, so an 89% is the same grade as an 80%... I feel like that isn't fair for the students who attend schools that have a +/- system. Do you factor in the grading system of the school when reviewing applications?

If PTCAS is calculated the same way as OTCAS, then I believe it is based on the numeric grade, making whether or not your school uses a plus/minus system irrelevant (i.e. no matter if your school counts an 89 as a B+ or just a B, it is calculated the same, making it fair)

I am the Director of Student Enrollment Services at Indiana University's School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences in Indianapolis, and would welcome the opportunity to respond to general questions regarding the admissions process from the perspective of an admissions director.

Feel free to contact me on this thread, or if desired you can reach me at [email protected].

Best wishes to all for a successful application season!

Josh Morrison
Indiana University School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected][/quot

@preptdavid:

Thanks for your question. I don't think that the PTs work in the same location is relevant. I do think PTs with different specialties should be able to give some indication of your familiarity and comfort with both settings, which is good.

IU does not require LORs, but good LORs are those that demonstrate familiarity with your background and interest in PT. The best LORs provide insight into you as a person, how you solve problems or approach them, your demeanor and rapport with clients/patients, and give an assessment of your preparedness overall for PT school. As you can tell, they can do a lot of things.

One letter need not do all of this, but the letters should serve to provide some context to your application and provide strong support for your entry into the PT profession.

Best,

Josh Morrison
IU School of Health & Rehabiltation Sciences
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]
Thank for taking the time to answer questions. I will be completing my BS degree in 3 years; so will be 20 when applying to schools this cycle. Do you think this will be looked at positively or negatively; or have no impact in the decision process?

Also, I have applied to a school which utilizes the group interview process and if a candidate is invited for an interview, all the candidates are on equal footing and the admission decision is based upon the interview. Do you have any knowledge of this interview method?

Hi Josh,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer our questions. Do schools see our decisions of whether we accept admittance to a different program? I was accepting into a school which is admittedly not my first choice. I've been waitlisted at another school, have an interview scheduled at another one, and am still waiting to hear from another two. While this school is certainly not my top choice I don't want to not accept and be stuck going nowhere. So, do you know if accepting admittance to one school will negatively affect chances of getting an acceptance or even interview invitation from another?

Hi Josh,

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions on this forum. It's been really helpful for us throughout this whole application process. I'm currently applying for this year's application cycle and hope to get any acceptances I can. I have two questions to ask:

1) I'm worried that I'm not competitive enough in my applications. My undergrad GPA in Political Science were all under 3.0, and this is because of a lack of motivation and I wasn't mature enough at that time to take education seriously. I did enough to get by. However, once I realized that I wanted to become a PT, I changed my lifestyle and took all the prerequisite science courses needed. My post-bac and science GPA is 3.68. However, according to PTCAS, my overall calculated GPA is a 2.98. My GRE scores are average (153 on Math and Verbal, 3.5 AW). Would you or an admissions committee consider me as a viable candidate for acceptance seeing that my post-bac and science grades are strong compared to my undergrad GPA with an average GRE score?

2) Also, due to some unforeseen circumstances in my personal life, I wasn't able to submit my applications early and barely made the due date for most of them. I'm wondering if this would greatly affect my chances of any acceptance since I'm at the bottom of the pile for review.

Thanks for your time.

Thank for taking the time to answer questions. I will be completing my BS degree in 3 years; so will be 20 when applying to schools this cycle. Do you think this will be looked at positively or negatively; or have no impact in the decision process?

Also, I have applied to a school which utilizes the group interview process and if a candidate is invited for an interview, all the candidates are on equal footing and the admission decision is based upon the interview. Do you have any knowledge of this interview method?

I'm sorry it's been such a long delay. I don't think I got notice that this message was sent.

I don't think the duration of your BS degree program has any salience to an admission decision for the vast, vast majority of programs, if not all of them. It's simply not a factor.

I don't have any knowledge of group interviews for PT admission, but I personally do not think that "equal footing" at the interview is wise. However, that decision is not up to me. I would say that you should listen more than speak, only talk when you have something relevant to say, and don't dominate a conversation. In my view this is much too much weight to put on an interview process which is only, at most, one day in the life of an applicant. I would also advise you to use some counseling techniques like probing and reframing so that the interviewers know that you are truly listening.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi Josh,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer our questions. Do schools see our decisions of whether we accept admittance to a different program? I was accepting into a school which is admittedly not my first choice. I've been waitlisted at another school, have an interview scheduled at another one, and am still waiting to hear from another two. While this school is certainly not my top choice I don't want to not accept and be stuck going nowhere. So, do you know if accepting admittance to one school will negatively affect chances of getting an acceptance or even interview invitation from another?

Happy to help, ChangeinCareer:

No, programs only know what you do when you indicate it to them. So if you have offers from program A, B, and C, and accept C, you simply notify A and B that you'll no longer be a candidate and thank them for their interest in you as a potential student.

Programs do not typically share admit rosters. So if you accept one program and then decline later, that is rather normal.

Best,

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Hi Josh,

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions on this forum. It's been really helpful for us throughout this whole application process. I'm currently applying for this year's application cycle and hope to get any acceptances I can. I have two questions to ask:

1) I'm worried that I'm not competitive enough in my applications. My undergrad GPA in Political Science were all under 3.0, and this is because of a lack of motivation and I wasn't mature enough at that time to take education seriously. I did enough to get by. However, once I realized that I wanted to become a PT, I changed my lifestyle and took all the prerequisite science courses needed. My post-bac and science GPA is 3.68. However, according to PTCAS, my overall calculated GPA is a 2.98. My GRE scores are average (153 on Math and Verbal, 3.5 AW). Would you or an admissions committee consider me as a viable candidate for acceptance seeing that my post-bac and science grades are strong compared to my undergrad GPA with an average GRE score?

2) Also, due to some unforeseen circumstances in my personal life, I wasn't able to submit my applications early and barely made the due date for most of them. I'm wondering if this would greatly affect my chances of any acceptance since I'm at the bottom of the pile for review.

Thanks for your time.

Glad to do it, Dj:

1. Depends on the program. If you do not meet a minimum program standard and there are no provisions for considering the last 30 or 60 credit hours, then you ought to mark that program off your list. We receive dozens of incomplete or unqualified applications yearly and must reject them all. None are considered.

2. Depends -- there is no "bottom of the pile" when the program has a cut-off date, rather than a rolling process. So apply to programs with set "window" application periods and not rolling periods and you should be in better shape.

Don't give up easily and review the websites carefully to know what programs review and how they handle applications. I wouldn't advice a shotgun approach where you apply everywhere, but carefully think through what programs have policies that can help you and which do not.

Good luck!

Josh Morrison
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]