This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDOH or University of the Pacific

• Total voters
Reaction score
BESIDES FOR WHICH SCHOOL IS CHEAPER,

Which school has a better education that will produce better-trained and clinically confident doctors? Both schools do not have in-house residency programs, besides for orthodontics, so both send their clinically challenging cases to their D3 and D4 students who are in clinic thereby producing more competent and well-trained doctors. Overall, however, I would like to know which school does this better and creates the more competent clinicians out of the two? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Didn’t you just post this a couple days ago?

Bro, it’s just a dental school. The decision (if price is equal) is not that important. Get in, get the degree, get out, and start chipping away at the debt.

There’s philosophy about questions and decisions. Some questions are factual with a knowable answer, i.e., the more information you have, the more you’ll get to the correct answer. Picking schools isn’t factual or knowable. It’s not a decision that has a right answer. It’s not a question that can be solved with more data. There is no right answer. Pick a school and go with it; don’t look back. The only true true difference between schools …wait for it…is the cost. Everything else (class size, location, clinic, professors, blah blah blah) are just different, not necessarily better or worse. There’s no right answer. And for us type A people, we think we can brute force the “better decision” through more knowledge and spreadsheets (I literally tried this for ranking residencies), because our brains just work like that.

It sounds like both of these schools work for you. Rest assured - either one you pick will be the correct choice.

Reactions: 5 users
Didn’t you just post this a couple days ago?

Bro, it’s just a dental school. The decision (if price is equal) is not that important. Get in, get the degree, get out, and start chipping away at the debt.

There’s philosophy about questions and decisions. Some questions are factual with a knowable answer, i.e., the more information you have, the more you’ll get to the correct answer. Picking schools isn’t factual or knowable. It’s not a decision that has a right answer. It’s not a question that can be solved with more data. There is no right answer. Pick a school and go with it; don’t look back. The only true true difference between schools …wait for it…is the cost. Everything else (class size, location, clinic, professors, blah blah blah) are just different, not necessarily better or worse. There’s no right answer. And for us type A people, we think we can brute force the “better decision” through more knowledge and spreadsheets (I literally tried this for ranking residencies), because our brains just work like that.

It sounds like both of these schools work for you. Rest assured - either one you pick will be the correct choice.
that actually makes a lot of sense, thank you for the second perspective. I appreciate it

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What did you decide?
I decided to go with ASDOH. I have my fiancés family there, the tuition is slightly cheaper, and the cost of living is DEFINITELY cheaper in AZ as well so ASDOH just made more sense for me and my personal situation. Plus both programs don’t have residency programs so their students are all very clinically advanced so you can’t go wrong with either or. I do slightly worry, however, that ASDOH will lack the connections that UOP has and that it could *maybe* hurt my chances of specializing in terms of networking etc. but not enough for me to not go to ASDOH.

Reactions: 2 users
I can tell you for a fact that ASDOH does not lack connections. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user