As a new grad, if I take this retail gig in Florida...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pitt plays in an NFL stadium. We make fun of them because they can't afford their own place and have to rent. :laugh:

Well the thing is... UMiami is probably now the only well known school in Florida that isn't broke and being completely smashed by the Florida budget cuts (UF and FSU experiencing large lay-offs of tenured and non-tenured faculty members, completely axing whole departments, etc etc)... and we're also one of the few schools (including UF) even in the top tier of academics that has a major athletics program that isn't complete fail.

So while we're buying up hospitals in the downtown Miami medical complex and raising a billion dollars in the Momentum fundraising campaign, I'll stick with the private school that lives within it's means to pump money into R&D, academics, and the $105,000 scholarship they gave me to decline my acceptance to UF :D

Members don't see this ad.

dang it tinkerbell ruined it

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the thing is... UMiami is probably now the only well known school in Florida that isn't broke and being completely smashed by the Florida budget cuts (UF and FSU experiencing large lay-offs of tenured and non-tenured faculty members, completely axing whole departments, etc etc)... and we're also one of the few schools (including UF) even in the top tier of academics that has a major athletics program that isn't complete fail.

So while we're buying up hospitals in the downtown Miami medical complex and raising a billion dollars in the Momentum fundraising campaign, I'll stick with the private school that lives within it's means to pump money into R&D, academics, and the $105,000 scholarship they gave me to decline my acceptance to UF :D

That's great. Florida is the California of the East Coast. Being the best in Florida is like being West Virginia. And boy are we are an embarrassment to humanity...

i declare Kayak as the best online travel reservation site of all. correct me if im wrong.

i declare Kayak as the best online travel reservation site of all. correct me if im wrong.

Um...yes...It was like 5 years ago. It was the first metasearch.

Though Hotwire and Priceline will get you better deals if you don't mind having no idea where you will stay, who will give you your rental car, and when and with whom you will be flying.

I use a mixture of the two.

Veteran Hotwirers/Priceliners know that betterbidding.com is the greatest resource out there.

priceline with uncertain reservation is not an option.

priceline with uncertain reservation is not an option.

If you get on hotwire, you can narrow it down to an area of town...then when you see the amenities listed under each hotel, try to match it up with the hotels listed on betterbidding.com. I'm 'bout 95% accurate when I do that.

If you get on hotwire, you can narrow it down to an area of town...then when you see the amenities listed under each hotel, try to match it up with the hotels listed on betterbidding.com. I'm 'bout 95% accurate when I do that.

i hear bed bugs are making a comeback.

That's great. Florida is the California of the East Coast. Being the best in Florida is like being West Virginia. And boy are we are an embarrassment to humanity...

but unlike California, at least Florida has the common sense to run on a balanced budget...

you normally have great insults, are you okay? or just busy preparing for your big move?

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um...yes...It was like 5 years ago. It was the first metasearch.

Though Hotwire and Priceline will get you better deals if you don't mind having no idea where you will stay, who will give you your rental car, and when and with whom you will be flying.

I use a mixture of the two.

Veteran Hotwirers/Priceliners know that betterbidding.com is the greatest resource out there.

That takes way too long. I don't haggle with making reservations because the value added effect is negligible compared to the amount of time wasted. I fly southwest everywhere. I am marrying a brown girl - if we stay in hotels, her family is offended. Haven't needed to rent a car yet.

Spend that wasted time elsewhere.

but unlike California, at least Florida has the common sense to run on a balanced budget...

Florida doesn't have a balanced budget... We have a rainy-day fund we got from cigarette companies, which we have depleted by 50% since 2007. Couple that with the largest forclosure market (and subsequent decrease in property tax collection) and the situation looks a lot more dire.

texas has a balanced budget and some rainy day fund..

Florida doesn't have a balanced budget... We have a rainy-day fund we got from cigarette companies, which we have depleted by 50% since 2007. Couple that with the largest forclosure market (and subsequent decrease in property tax collection) and the situation looks a lot more dire.

I think I realize the effects stemming from Florida's financial situation... I was comparing Florida to California (UC system protests anyone?)

Well the thing is... UMiami is probably now the only well known school in Florida that isn't broke and being completely smashed by the Florida budget cuts (UF and FSU experiencing large lay-offs of tenured and non-tenured faculty members, completely axing whole departments, etc etc)...

I post all the time about my distaste for living here... luckily I'll be crossing the state border for good in 10 days.

lmfao...I have people concerned for my health because my insults aren't biting enough.

Your posts have lost the venomous punch it used to carry.

WTF is wrong with you?

I think I realize the effects stemming from Florida's financial situation... I was comparing Florida to California (UC system protests anyone?)

I post all the time about my distaste for living here... luckily I'll be crossing the state border for good in 10 days.

Where ya heading???

Why did you sleep in your car? WTH were you doing?

When you moving to San Antone?

agreed.

great job at hijacking someone's important thread! Don't make me bring back the off-topic thread.

great job at hijacking someone's important thread! Don't make me bring back the off-topic thread.

This wasn't a hijack.

We properly answered the OP. And the OT was dead.

While I believe you have the power to bring this thread back on topic - I implore you to think about what is good and right for the forum... A thread can never remain on topic for greater than 50 posts.

I don't make the rules - I just abide by 'em. You should too.

End of August... assuming I manage to pass my boards AND Florida can figure out how to update my information.

Those are two pretty big IFs...

We're going to have to schedule SDN RX HH when all ya'll rookies get to town.. Mikey, Caver, and You.. Mountain..and Pri if he's still around.

We'll invite OldFart just to annoy Mountain!

It's so freakin hot in DFW right now... but I can't convince the family to move to Wyoming.. But I guess I can tolerate the heat better than cold.

it's hitting 106 today but I have yard work to do... :thumbdown:

Where ya heading???

Atlanta for pharmacy school. I figure any other large city is better than Miami. lol

Why did you sleep in your car? WTH were you doing?

My boyfriend ships tropical fish (reef tank) around the country so we have to drive from the Keys to the AA and Delta cargo at Miami Int and it opens at 5 am... since it's live product you have to be first in line or your shipment will get bumped behind some boxes of frecken carnations or dead bodies or something.

I've got nothing witty to say to this... everything I think of divulges into a no homo situation

lil weezy baby

While I believe you have the power to bring this thread back on topic - I implore you to think about what is good and right for the forum... A thread can never remain on topic for greater than 50 posts.

I don't make the rules - I just abide by 'em. You should too.

As a courtesy to someone's thread about an important career decision, it is reasonable to ask if you are going to discuss 2 pages of football then you should start a new thread. I am hoping I am not asking too much from you and other members of this forum.

As a courtesy to someone's thread about an important career decision, it is reasonable to ask if you are going to discuss 2 pages of football then you should start a new thread. I am hoping I am not asking too much from you and other members of this forum.

You should have started a new thread to raise this concern instead of posting it on this thread. It shows no respect to the OP.

:smuggrin:

You should have started a new thread to raise this concern instead of posting it on this thread. It shows no respect to the OP.

I guess directly confronting you shows no respect, oh so powerful pharmacist (per wvu).

I guess directly confronting you shows no respect, oh so powerful pharmacist (per wvu).

really? he said that?

I have no idea why he would feel that way.

and if he did...why would you remember such a thing?

really? he said that?

I have no idea why he would feel that way.

and if he did...why would you remember such a thing?

Don't feel so special. The hospital pharmacist needs a job and will say anything to get his foot inside a hospital. Desperate times I tell you. I am done with this thread!

Don't feel so special. The hospital pharmacist needs a job and will say anything to get his foot inside a hospital. Desperate times I tell you. I am done with this thread!

Dang..male PMS anyone?

LMAO!

BMBiology: Who told you I am Powerful?

WVUPharm2007: Nobody, you nobody. I wasn't talking about you.

sorry...didn't know that transpired and you got your little feelings hurt...

Who says I was talking exclusively about him?

And actually, there are a few directors and DMs that read these forums. While Z is a decision maker somewhere, he's not the only one. A retail DM sent me PMs on here a few months back, for instance.

And to dovetail this back onto your precious "topic", the OP should consider how important connections and "putting yourself out there" is towards your career.

People knew I needed a job...I must have gotten 50 PMs from people giving me leads, gauging my interest in some jobs...like wanting to see if I was interested in a retail position in South Dakota, or to tell me that they'd hire me if they had an opening...which might help me out later on...etc, etc.

Weekends at my hospital there is a CVS pharmacist who attempts to do order entry. It is a nightmare. I spend half of my shift cleaning up his mistakes and sloppy work. He has the retail mentality of entering orders at a fast rate because speed is the most important quality a pharmacist can have.

He wants to work full time hospital but he will never be given that job. Every pharmacist feels the same way about him. In a few years, if I decide to go into a supervisory role, I will never hire a retail pharmacist. Since the market is saturated in Florida, hospitals have their pick.

If you want to work in a hospital in Florida, do not go retail. It will not help you. I'd rather have a new grad than someone who worked retail. It may be okay if you only worked a couple of years after graduation. You still may retain some clinical knowledge.

Taking the Naplex in the am. About to watch Billy Madison, for the very first time...

The retail pharmacists that I see do well in a hospital setting are the ones that work the outpatient pharmacies. It's basically retail without the need to kiss the customer's butt. The one I worked at dealt mainly with indigent patients so the only insurance you dealt with was medicare/aid. I would look for an outpatient hospital position if your only experience was in retail.

In the 4 years I worked in inpatient, I don't think I saw one retail pharmacist hired. We hired lots of new grads. It's much easier to mold someone who isn't set in their ways.