As a high school student what is the process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoloCat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a Canadian high school student wanting to get info about pursuing a career in medical in the Caribbean what exactly are the stages after high school? Ex: 1) 4 years pre med 2) 4 years MS 3) Residency

Members don't see this ad.

As a Canadian high school student wanting to get info about pursuing a career in medical in the Caribbean what exactly are the stages after high school? Ex: 1) 4 years pre med 2) 4 years MS 3) Residency

First step is to stop looking into Carribean medical schools as you first choice....

And yes they are exactly how your example is.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First step is to stop looking into Carribean medical schools as you first choice....

And yes they are exactly how your example is.

Wait they are? I thought they were less time not 8 years, I heard talk about it being 5 years but wasn't too sure. The example was just the process here in Canada :oops:. But mind expanding a bit on why I should put the Caribbean as a later priority?

Wait they are? I thought they were less time not 8 years, I heard talk about it being 5 years but wasn't too sure. The example was just the process here in Canada :oops:. But mind expanding a bit on why I should put the Caribbean as a later priority?

Do some reasearch into it on this forum. You will see a lot. Look for schools in USA, Canada, or even Europe/Australia before Caribbean.

4 years for an undergraduate degree (probably in biological sciences of some kind) -> MCAT -> 2 years of basic science med school -> Step 1 -> 1 year of clinical clerkships in a hospital with shelf exams-> Step 2CS -> Step 2 CK -> 1 year of elective rotations in hospitals -> Residency application$ -> Interviews -> Copious amount of drinking to deal with the anxiety -> Yay, residency -> Graduate -> Boooo, residency.

Caribbean schools are not viewed as highly as US and Canadian medical schools by residency programs, thus have a lower residency placement rate than US/Canadian schools. They also have a higher attrition rate. These and other factors make them a more risky proposition for prospective medical students that wish to practice in the US or Canada.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 users