ARMY vs. Navy vs. National Health Service Corp (NHSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zkd23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created this thread because SDN helped me a lot however, I had to do a lot of footwork to find out more detailed information. Here is my story with the decision of going into the military, which branch, or NHSC or doing nothing. I will focus more on the Army and the Navy because those are the branches I am more knowledgable about...however, I will make a few comments regarding the Air Force.

Let me first start off by saying I was anti military, no way no how was I going to go into the military under any circumstances because my first opinion of it was what I saw on TV and heard enlisted people say. (There is a difference between enlisted people and officers I'll get into that later)

Then one day a friend of mine told me to look into the military it worked out well for her. So I began my journey of dealing with recruiters...trying to filter out correct and incorrect information.

I found out that the HPSP pays all of your tuition, school related expenses, health insurance, and it pays a stipend of 1900/month. In addition, if you were to add a year on they will give you a signing bonus of 20,000. So I figured it was a least worth looking into.

The speciality programs in the Military are second to none because they have the technology in addition, a military dentist does not have to worry about whether the patient has enough money to continue through the treatment plan, the military pays for it.

Therefore in that respect, unless you are working with rich patients, you would probably be able to complete more treatment plans and quicker than in the civilian sector. Its simply a question of what does the patient need not how much money does the patient have and based on that how much can i do.

Another misconception I had was that I could be deployed while completing school or my speciality training and that is false information. It is stated in the contract that while in school or speciality training that one cannot be deployed. However, upon completion of your training it is a possiblity that you may be deployed. Chances range from 5%-37% depending on your speciality or lack thereof. Dentist are very valuable to the military they invest a lot of money in them therefore dentist are not normally on the front lines. (I say normally because I leave room for extenuating circumstances. FYI: Females by the way will not be on the front lines in the Army because there is law against that. ) The Dentist needs to be safe so that he/she can care for the oral health of the soldiers. So most times Dentist are in safe locations.

A misconception that I had about the Navy was that if you were to get ship duty you would be on the ship in the water for 6 months at a time without every docking. That is incorrect information. If a dentist were to get ship duty it is possible thta the dentist would be portside and simply repsonsible for the care of the people assigned to that ship however, if the ship goes out for an operational tour(training) or to change locations...pack ur bags cause you are going to be a sailing dentist :) on the way to the new location you may stop at a port various times, get off and go shopping...or check out the city you are in. IT is possible that you may assigned to a Marine unit because the Marines dont have a medical/dental corp so the navy medical/dental corp supplements this.

The Navy has a cuter uniform than the Army...clearly i'm a female lol. The Navy has better locations than the Army however, I had to think about the worst case scenario and based on the worse case scenario of me being stuck on a ship...I decided I as a female wouldn't want to deal with that and rather be in a desert somewhere on solid land than be stuck on a ship under any circumstances....that is simply my preference ...fyi i've never been on a cruise ship so i have no clue what it is like to be out on the water in the middle of no where...i llove water but i dont know if i love it that much. Another reason i chose the Army is because I felt it would give me a better family life, even though i dont currently have children or a husband. That was a personal decision you have to come to that conclusion for yourself.

Do not let the way the recruiter is cause you to make a decision about a branch of the military. Understand it is simply that persons job to recruit and some do it better than others and once you have signed all ur papers and been commissioned you will no longer have to deal with that person. I personally didnt care for my navy recruiters..yes that was plural...one lied to me, and one wasnt very helpful. Speaking of which...dont every take the word of a recruiter as 100% truth...always check the information for yourself...some get carried away...do not believe them if they say you will never ever be deployed because you can be deployed. There are no guarantees about location in the military. Ask as many dentist in the military questions they would be more than happy to answer it. I have spoken with at least 17 military dentist in all walks of life and that has helped me to shape my view of the military. I also went to two military dental clinics and observed how they operate.

If you take the 4 yr HPSP you would be obligated to 4 yrs active duty time and 4 years inactive ready reserve(IRR) time. You can decrease the inactive ready reserve time by instead of being inactive you can remain active duty or you can take on a speciality. For example if you graduated from dental school and went str8 into perio training which is 3 years you would spend your first three years training for perio then 4 years paying back your scholarship and then you would have 1 year left of IRR.

The retirement packages are second to none...if you go in like it and want it as a career...the doors are wide open you could teach in the military and practice. You can retire after 20 yrs of active duty service time and you would be receiving a really really nice paycheck and you would still be able to work in the private sector.....taking home a good amount >80K dont quote me on the amount....in addition to whatever you get from working...it is something to think about.

I decided to sign for the Army for many reasons.They have more spaces in their speciality programs and they have no ship duty. I did not sign for the Air Force because I waited to long to apply and they ran out of scholarships so i didnt even bother try. however, the Air Force is many peoples first choice but dont be fooled AF dentist can be deployed i have met two who were. The Air Force has less spots available to specialize. however, their training is very good...but the training is second to none in all areas of the military. It is a personal decision when choosing a branch...think worst case scenario and ask yourself if you could deal with it and if the answer is no...that branch isnt for you.

Feel free to ask me any questions. hope this helps you

Below is a chart i made comparing the army to the National Health Service corps. I decided that I would get better training in the military than in the NHSC. In addition, there are guarantees of pay in the military but not in the NHSC. Check it out maybe it will help you, this is based on me taking the three year scholarship not the four year..i'm c/o 2011

The Army
NHSC
Pay for tuition, fees and educational expenses while in school
Yes
Yes
Stipend/month
Can specialize right after school
Yes, except for pediatric dentistry…but provisions can be made to do it.
Not in everything only pediatric dentistry
Can do a AEGD/GPR upon graduation
yes
yes
Guaranteed placement in the US or US territories
No*
yes
Health insurance paid while in school
Yes
no
Malpractice paid(when done)
Yes
Yes, with an exception…if one were to choose the PPO option…see below
Salary
3900/month( or 3300 gotta look it up)
Who knows.
Work Setting
Army Clinic
Clinic, private practice, Indian health service(care for the native Americans), bureau of prisons(workin on the prisoners), Immigration and customs enforcement(care for the detainees that are in the custody of the ICE) see below***
Years payback
8 years. 3 of which is active duty 5 years which can be inactive ready reserves or specialization or working for the army.
Min 2 yrs max 4 yrs(1 yr for every yr they pay for school)
Assigned to a war zone area
Possibility
no
Extra pay for dependants
Yes
No
Stipend for housing
Yes
No
Can end up in a rural area
Yes
Yes
Health benefits covered
Yes
no
Vacation
Guaranteed 30 days paid leave
Not allowed to be away more than 35 days/service year for any reason illness, vacation whatever

Pay for relocation
Yes
no
Provide housing if necessary
Yes
No

*if I were to specialize in periodontics, prothodontics, or endodontics, I would be at Fort Gordon in GA for three years…..then I would have to pay them back three years wherever they station me after that, and I would have two years of Inactive Ready Reserves.

*****Types of Placements
The following types of NHSC scholar placements may appear on the Approved Practice List:
Non-Federal Placements:
Private Practice Assignment (PPA)
A PPA is an assignment to a public or private entity that operates a community-based system of care where a scholar may serve his/her commitment. These entities may be supported by local communities or may be supported in part by Federal grant funds. Under the PPA, scholars are considered non-Federal members of the NHSC and are paid by and work under the personnel system of the entity to which they are assigned. The salary and benefits paid by the entity must be at least equal to the salary and benefits that the scholar would have received as a Federal civil service employee. Malpractice insurance should be agreed upon by the employer and the scholar and detailed in their written employment contract. The BCRS requires that each entity make provisions for malpractice insurance, including tail coverage, for scholars under the PPA. Employment contract negotiations are solely the responsibility of the scholar.
Private Practice Option (PPO)
A PPO is a release (from having to serve as a member of the NHSC) to serve in a private practice that operates as fee-for-service, or a salaried position at a public, private non-profit, or for-profit site. There is no minimum provider salary and benefit package requirement for a PPO. By statute, scholars wishing to exercise the PPO must submit a written application to the BCRS. If a PPO placement is approved by the BCRS, the scholar must sign an agreement to, among other things, comply with the section "Charges for Services"; requirements set forth in this Bulletin. The scholar must also prepare and submit a Uniform Data System report to the BCRSon the conduct of his/her practice. NOTE: PPO providers must make arrangements to obtain their own malpractice and medical insurance. Scholars are not eligible for solo private practice options.
Federal Placements:
Indian Health Service (IHS)
This agency of the Department of Health and Human Services offers a variety of placement opportunities at hospitals and other health care facilities serving
Native American/Alaskan Native populations (usually on Indian reservations). An IHS placement may require a security clearance.

Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP)
This agency of the Department of Justice employs health professionals in Federal prison facilities ranging from infirmary-size units to 500-bed tertiary care hospitals throughout the United States. A BOP placement requires a security clearance.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
This agency of the Department of Homeland Security provides primary health care for the detainees remanded to the custody of the ICE. Within each Service Processing Center throughout the country, there is a fully accredited outpatient clinic. An ICE placement requires a security clearance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
:thumbup: Great thread! Have you started Dental School yet? When did/do you start? So for what year will your scholarship begin? Fall 2008 or Fall 2009?

Yes, I am a D2(c/o 2011) I took the 3 year scholarship. It is begins FAll 08. However, I also took the 20K signing bonus therefore i will owe them 4 years instead of three but I plan on specializing to decrease the amount of IRR time and to get the most out of the army...however, i wont have to make the decision about specializing until i graduate....or perhaps after because you can apply to specialize at anytime.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just realized I did not put the financial reasons I chose the military.
i am an out of state student therefore I am paying an arm and a leg for school..by the time I'm done I would have accumulated over 300K in debt.

I figure that it would be better for me to leave school with little to no debt, get paid to get top of the line training, and when I'm done serving I would be in a great position financially to open my own practice. In addition, while i'm in school i dont have to worry about finances.

Officer life is different than enlisted life. So if an enlisted person tells you how bad being in the military is, take it in, then go ask an officer about those same issues that person brought up and see if it applies to an officer as well.

Good post.

I was wondering if following graduation, one can apply to residency programs in multiple branches and then switch branches pending an acceptance. That would be sweet.

BTW, I'm in the AF and also hope to specialize.

Very nice! I definitely cannot imagine how much stress that stipend must take off while you are in school, esp. for me as i am married. And 300k debt is about where I would have ended up also. I can't imagine having to pay that off either. The AF is definitely all upside in my mind.

Very nice! I definitely cannot imagine how much stress that stipend must take off while you are in school, esp. for me as i am married. And 300k debt is about where I would have ended up also. I can't imagine having to pay that off either. The AF is definitely all upside in my mind.

I was also looking at a bit over 300K. At some point you've got to take a good look at that number and say HELL NO! :laugh:

To top it off, my wife will be taking out about 225K in loans herself for med school. So, without the AF we would have been looking at 1/2 million dollars in debt before even starting. WOW!

Then one could estimate 250K for a private practice, 250K mortgage, and we'd be sitting on a cool million. :)

WOW! You and your wife def. made the right decision. When do you graduate? I do know that you can apply to many specialities at one time however, As far as specializing in a different branch I know that it is pretty impossible with Army but they have the blue to green program I think...which will allow AF members to go to the Army but don't quote me on it...look into it. I choose Army over AF because of the bigger number of speciality openings. What do you want to specialize in?

I'm pretty sure if you do the Comprehensive AEGD 2 year program with the AF you could do 1 of the 2 years with the Navy at Bethesda.

I am a D1 and all my classmates are stressing about getting books cheaper and how to save money on everything. And I just go out and buy whatever book is closer because I just send in a receipt and get reimbursed. Many of my classmates see how easy it is for me and they have asked me about doing a 3 year scholarship. My advice is to look into HPSP way before starting school because the 4 year scholarships are actually running out nowadays. If you are at all interested start the process it takes at least 12 weeks and that is if you have an awesome recruiter who works hard to get it done. You can always be awarded the scholarship and decline it. Until you swear in you can still back out.

Right on. I met with my recruiters and turned everything in this past Tuesday. I'm riding them now to get my physical scheduled for next week sometime. They have all letters, transcripts, everything already. So now I just have to keep calling and pushing-hopefully without becoming annoying though. I've let them know i really want everything including my interview done by the end of this month so they can send it to the board Immediately Sept 1. We'll see how successful my persistence is.

FYI: even after the board selects you it takes 1-3 months to get all the red tape cleared before you can get your money however, your tuition shld be backdated...i dont know about your stipend though....from what i've been told if you are selected and get commissioned prior to the semester starting the stipend will be backdated from the beginning of the semester otherwise it will only be the tuition and related educational expenses that would be backdated. So be prepared to take care of yourself for a little while....but its totally worth it.

zkd23

I'm applying for next fall. starting Dental School fall of 2009. So I think I'm very early in the game for the scholarship. am I right?

Members don't see this ad :)
zkd23

I'm applying for next fall. starting Dental School fall of 2009. So I think I'm very early in the game for the scholarship. am I right?

If you are applying for the AF then you are on schedule, but if you are going for the other 2 branches you are doing really good. Remember they have already promised some of the slots for 2009 to people after Oct 1 which is the beginning of the fiscal year. So say the AF has 75 spot, some are already gone and therefore more competition for the remaining spots. I know the Navy has also had to do this, this cycle too so the Navy will not have as many spots this upcoming year either. But I would say you are doing everything right by applying this early. Remember you don't need to actually be accepted to get the scholarship, you will only need the acceptance when you go to pay for school

Cool. I wasn't waiting around for my acceptance to apply for the scholarship. I think the first board meets at the beginning of October, so I'm trying to push everything through by then so I can get in the first board.

Just remember how much stress all the money sounds now, because once you are done and the military is making you do all sorts of ******ed crap, you will need to remember why you did it.

I think back constantly to how much stress my classmates were in, and I was able to concentrate on my school work. It helps me get through it. Overall military dentistry is a good thing, there's alot of BS, which is why I am not staying in. But when it's over I'll be glad I did it. (and glad it's over)

Hawkeye DDS

Good advice. I definitely know i will be making sacrifices later to ease up the dental school years, but in my case I think it's the right decision. Did you do an AEGD with the military?

I did the one year. Even though it doesn't count toward payback, it's worth it.

I did the one year. Even though it doesn't count toward payback, it's worth it.

If you don't mind my asking,
How difficult was it to get an AF AEGD?

What kind of gpa and board scores are they looking for?

And I assume your professors' recommendations are important as well, right?

How many people generally are applying for those spots and about how many spots are available?

What base did you do your AEGD at?

I definitely want to do an AEGD with the AF, so now I just want to learn how to best set myself up to get into one right out of school.

Thanks!

Sorry dude, I did the army. If all things were equal I'd do the AF too.

Sorry dude, I did the army. If all things were equal I'd do the AF too.

HawkeyeDDS

What do you mostly do in your payback with the army. I've heard that payback in the army is the most "military." That you get assigned a 15 or so man brigade and travel around with them. I know in the army your a soldier first, and then a dentist, but it seems like they would want to protect you and keep you practicing dentistry after they've invested so much money into your schooling.

Another reason for the offer is probably the Army's desire to attract more intelligent, motivated recruits. Prospective soldiers that have taken a few college courses show more promise than the grocery bagger at Food Lion.

Food Lion eh? Sounds like East Coast. Richmond VA perhaps? Lived there a year myself.

HawkeyeDDS

What do you mostly do in your payback with the army. I've heard that payback in the army is the most "military." That you get assigned a 15 or so man brigade and travel around with them. I know in the army your a soldier first, and then a dentist, but it seems like they would want to protect you and keep you practicing dentistry after they've invested so much money into your schooling.

It just depends where you end up, you can search the older posts for my thread on Brigade Dentistry, I don't really want to retype all that. I am one of the "lucky" ones who are in a Brigade slot, currently the 1st Infantry Division. If you are assigned to the Dental Company (DENTAC) then most likely you would do mostly dentistry, with a little military. If you get assigned to a Brigade slot, then it could be whatever they tell you. You are no longer under the Dental Commands umbrella. I've had to do the field excercizes setting up tents, ranges etc. And now I get to be stoplossed and go to Iraq for the full 12 months instead of 6 that dentists who are under the Dental command go. I don't think the AF or Navy has these Brigade slots, which is why I would apply to them first.

It just depends where you end up, you can search the older posts for my thread on Brigade Dentistry, I don't really want to retype all that. I am one of the "lucky" ones who are in a Brigade slot, currently the 1st Infantry Division. If you are assigned to the Dental Company (DENTAC) then most likely you would do mostly dentistry, with a little military. If you get assigned to a Brigade slot, then it could be whatever they tell you. You are no longer under the Dental Commands umbrella. I've had to do the field excercizes setting up tents, ranges etc. And now I get to be stoplossed and go to Iraq for the full 12 months instead of 6 that dentists who are under the Dental command go. I don't think the AF or Navy has these Brigade slots, which is why I would apply to them first.

Thanks HawkeyeDDS

Found your other thread.

Yea I was awarded both the navy and army scholarship. Although many told me it was a no-brainer to go to the navy, I had my reservations even though people say the treatment is better in the navy. As the OP said, as an officer in the army, you will be treated with a lot more respect than an infantry soldier who signs up out of high school. The army has also put a huge investment (probably about 1,000,000 or more dollars) to have you as their dentist. So there is no way that they would every put your life in danger's way, even if it means getting deployed.
Also, I plan on getting married after I graduate, so it is better for me and my future wife-to-be to be in a steady location rather than moving around on a ship constantly, which can be a hassle. Finally, there are a lot more locations offered by the army. So most likely, you can get stationed in a desirable area.

Good post.

I was wondering if following graduation, one can apply to residency programs in multiple branches and then switch branches pending an acceptance. That would be sweet.

BTW, I'm in the AF and also hope to specialize.

No. You may get to train with another service (right now, only the 2-year AEGD), but you'll still be in the AF. Same rules for the other services

I see people saying all the time the AF has less training slots (we call them authorizations) and that is only partially true.

The AF Dental Corps has less authorizations than the Army or Navy. So, the AF may have less training authorizations, but we have less total authorizations. Percentage wise, we're all pretty close to the same.

Last edited: