Army Veterinary Corps Health Professional Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Armyhealth,

I'm interested in applying for the HPSP, but I wonder how strict the following requirement is:
"Bachelor's degree emphasizing natural sciences"

I am what people call a nontraditional applicant. Basically, someone who graduated with a bachelors in humanities but will have taken the prerequisite natural science courses (e.g., lower and upper division biology, chemistry, physics) after graduation from college. I will have no formal degree emphasizing natural sciences. Will this make me ineligible to apply?

No, that is an old description. As long as you can get a into a vet school and have a 3.0 GPA and over a decent GRE you have a shot at the scholarship. I had a dance major who went and did her pre-reqs in a 1 year post bacc program and she was awarded the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

@Armyhealth That is encouraging to hear, thanks for answering my question!

I would like to get more info and potentially start preparing my application for the HPSP. Do you know of a healthcare recruiter that could help with the HPSP in the Los Angeles area?

@Armyhealth That is encouraging to hear, thanks for answering my question!

I would like to get more info and potentially start preparing my application for the HPSP. Do you know of a healthcare recruiter that could help with the HPSP in the Los Angeles area?

Just send me a private message, I can get you connected with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
How often do people get taken of the Merit List per year?

How often do people get taken of the Merit List per year?

Not many get off the list for the 3 year because that means another person who was selected declined the scholarship (maybe 1 per year), they usually take a couple off the OML for the 2 year scholarship (1-3 per year).

Does anyone have information on the DCC? Regarding which summer section we go to and how do we handle summer conflicts with school?

Hi- I'm interested in applying for the HPSP and am wondering if going to weekly therapy sessions will affect my chances? I am not on any medications, just interested in attending counseling this semester

Does anyone have information on the DCC? Regarding which summer section we go to and how do we handle summer conflicts with school?

I would suggest using the HPSP Facebook page, all the branches and types of HPSP are on there. Really good resource, it is a private group so if you want you can add me and I will invite you. Send me a private message!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi- I'm interested in applying for the HPSP and am wondering if going to weekly therapy sessions will affect my chances? I am not on any medications, just interested in attending counseling this semester

As long as your not diagnosed with anything you should be fine.

Question - I would be interested specifically in the laboratory animal veterinarian job opportunities once I finish vet school and so on. For something this specific, would it be better to go through the whole application process post-graduation (Class of 2023 hopeful) or start the process now? Thanks!

Question - I would be interested specifically in the laboratory animal veterinarian job opportunities once I finish vet school and so on. For something this specific, would it be better to go through the whole application process post-graduation (Class of 2023 hopeful) or start the process now? Thanks!

To get that job you have to go through a clinical lab residency. So you can join our HPSP program and apply to the army's residency or complete your own and join as a direct clinical lab veterinarian if we have positions open.

Last edited:
Do get that job you have to go through a clinical lab residency. So you can join our HPSP program and apply to the army's residency or complete your own and join as a direct clinical lab veterinarian if we have positions open.
Makes sense - just confirming, so the army has its own lab animal residency that I can apply to and then if positions are available - I can apply to work for the government which would indeed give me the opportunity to apply for the HPSP program? Or - I can also go through my own residency and just see if the government has those jobs available correct? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense - just confirming, so the army has its own lab animal residency that I can apply to and then if positions are available - I can apply to work for the government which would indeed give me the opportunity to apply for the HPSP program? Or - I can also go through my own residency and just see if the government has those jobs available correct? Thanks for your time!

Correct, for HPSP you just need a letter of acceptance into any accredited vet school within the US.

Hi! I’m interested in applying to the scholarship. I’ve reached out to my local recruiter but have not had a response. How do I start the process?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone heard back in regards to the board results from December/January? Thanks!

Has anyone heard back in regards to the board results from December/January? Thanks!
Board results have been out for like 3 weeks. All decisions have already been made for Vet Corps HPSP. You should contact your recruiter.

Board results have been out for like 3 weeks. All decisions have already been made for Vet Corps HPSP. You should contact your recruiter.

Hmmm... that’s weird. I contacted him on the 14th and he told me that he had no news yet...

Hmmm... that’s weird. I contacted him on the 14th and he told me that he had no news yet...
You applied for the HPSP scholarship as a vet student? I was notified on Jan. 2 and we all got an email on Jan. 3 that the results were officially released. Something’s not right...

You applied for the HPSP scholarship as a vet student? I was notified on Jan. 2 and we all got an email on Jan. 3 that the results were officially released. Something’s not right...

Really? Well, that’s lame. I suppose no news is bad news then. Do you know of any list or anything?

Really? Well, that’s lame. I suppose no news is bad news then. Do you know of any list or anything?
We’re not allowed to see the list, but I do know my recruiting station has one of everyone selected and on the OML. I’m really sorry that there seems to be some mix-up with your recruiter.

We’re not allowed to see the list, but I do know my recruiting station has one of everyone selected and on the OML. I’m really sorry that there seems to be some mix-up with your recruiter.

Roger. Well, thanks for your help. He even texted me on the fifth with an update. Weird. I’ll give the recruiting office a call in the morning.

Roger. Well, thanks for your help. He even texted me on the fifth with an update. Weird. I’ll give the recruiting office a call in the morning.

I actually heard back from my recruiter yesterday about the results. Unfortunately, it looks like I am on the waiting list, but I don't think that it is unusual that you haven't heard back yet.

Without getting too far into the weeds, there is weirdness about when recruiters are SUPPOSED to tell you versus when they can kinda tell if you were accepted. Other people in my class were told they were NOT selected on a certain day, but I hadn't heard anything. I contacted my recruiter and she couldn't say - nudge nudge. Turns out, they have to submit a Scroll Approval that goes through multiple signatures and takes forever, and then they receive the go ahead to commission you. I was not told by my recruiter until like 3 months later that I OFFICIALLY was accepted and could take the oath of office, but they could see the results of the board on the computer (probably on MODS). Other people who were selected for HPSP either had recruiters that just went ahead and told before the scroll was approved, or (I think) submitted scroll approvals early so they were ready to go when Boards came back. If the resident recruiter has any knowledge of this all goes down, would love to hear their take.

Long story short, no news may not be bad news.

Without getting too far into the weeds, there is weirdness about when recruiters are SUPPOSED to tell you versus when they can kinda tell if you were accepted. Other people in my class were told they were NOT selected on a certain day, but I hadn't heard anything. I contacted my recruiter and she couldn't say - nudge nudge. Turns out, they have to submit a Scroll Approval that goes through multiple signatures and takes forever, and then they receive the go ahead to commission you. I was not told by my recruiter until like 3 months later that I OFFICIALLY was accepted and could take the oath of office, but they could see the results of the board on the computer (probably on MODS). Other people who were selected for HPSP either had recruiters that just went ahead and told before the scroll was approved, or (I think) submitted scroll approvals early so they were ready to go when Boards came back. If the resident recruiter has any knowledge of this all goes down, would love to hear their take.

Long story short, no news may not be bad news.

Thank you for your input! Puts me at ease, slightly. Much appreciated.

over a decent GRE you have a shot at the scholarship.

Hi, Can you elaborate on what the army considers an over decent GRE score? I'm an undergrad student and believe my first GRE scores (162v 158q 3.5w) will get me into my desired vet school but I want to know if I should consider retaking the GRE to attempt a higher score for the HPSP.

How are candidates chosen? GPA (minimum 3.0 or 3.2?), GRE, and then what else? Experiences, letters of recommendation and essays? Thank you!

How are candidates chosen? GPA (minimum 3.0 or 3.2?), GRE, and then what else? Experiences, letters of recommendation and essays? Thank you!

There is a point system they give based on each area they look at.
1-Education (GPA, GRE, rank of the school accepted into, any other education/certifications i.e. master's degree and so on)
2- Experience (Valid experience at a vet clinic, shadow hours, other medical work, humanitarian work, volunteer hours, leadership potential and so on)
3- Prior service (extra points for any prior service applicants, family history of military service)
4- Letters of recommendation, personal statement (quality of LORs, who they come from) this subject is really biased on the person grading so they have their own internal things they look for, I couldn't tell you exactly what that is.

You get a point score based on each category which is added up to give your overall score, the top 33 get the scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a point system they give based on each area they look at.
1-Education (GPA, GRE, rank of the school accepted into, any other education/certifications i.e. master's degree and so on)
2- Experience (Valid experience at a vet clinic, shadow hours, other medical work, humanitarian work, volunteer hours, leadership potential and so on)
3- Prior service (extra points for any prior service applicants, family history of military service)
4- Letters of recommendation, personal statement (quality of LORs, who they come from) this subject is really biased on the person grading so they have their own internal things they look for, I couldn't tell you exactly what that is.

You get a point score based on each category which is added up to give your overall score, the top 33 get the scholarship.
Thank you! Is there a GPA cutoff?

Can any current vets or anyone vet school right now in the HPSP program give any information or advice about the program? The information online is very vague and I'm procreating/hesitant to meet with a recruiter.

Can any current vets or anyone vet school right now in the HPSP program give any information or advice about the program? The information online is very vague and I'm procreating/hesitant to meet with a recruiter.
I mean, what do you want to know? I feel like a lot of good info has already been covered on this thread and others like it in the forum. If you have questions that aren't answered, ask away! I'm happy to answer what I can (class of 2022 recepient).

I mean, what do you want to know? I feel like a lot of good info has already been covered on this thread and others like it in the forum. If you have questions that aren't answered, ask away! I'm happy to answer what I can (class of 2022 recepient).

I searched for threads before posting this and it brought up results that were more broad over all medical fields. So, thanks for spotting my post and merging it! I've been reading replies from the beginning and am getting helpful information from that. I'll let you know if I have any specific questions and thanks for the help!

Hey everyone! I'm currently working on my statement of motivation and was wondering if you had any tips or hints on how I should focus everything. I know it needs to explain my interest in military medicine and why I would like to be an officer as well as my interest in vet med. I just think it would be helpful to have more input on what I should try to write about.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone! I'm currently working on my statement of motivation and was wondering if you had any tips or hints on how I should focus everything. I know it needs to explain my interest in military medicine and why I would like to be an officer as well as my interest in vet med. I just think it would be helpful to have more input on what I should try to write about.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, I was formerly an Army officer and also got to shadow an Army vet and their tech subordinates— PM me and I will share some perspective and ideas!

Hello,
I am very interested in applying for HSPS and have spoken with my local recruiter and a AMEDD recruiter. However, they haven't been very clear about the timeline of training and what not. My question is, do I need to enlist and do officer training before applying to HSPS my first year of vet school? Or do I apply to HSPS as a civilian and join/ do training during vet school? I am applying to vet school this cycle for c/o 2024. Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am very interested in applying for HSPS and have spoken with my local recruiter and a AMEDD recruiter. However, they haven't been very clear about the timeline of training and what not. My question is, do I need to enlist and do officer training before applying to HSPS my first year of vet school? Or do I apply to HSPS as a civilian and join/ do training during vet school? I am applying to vet school this cycle for c/o 2024. Thanks in advanced!

I'm a c/o 2023 veterinary student, starting school in August. I might not have the full information but I'm sure @Armyhealth could fill in wherever I might miss.

I'm working on my HPSP application right now. You don't need to worry about the application until around when you've received an acceptance from a school.

You would enter veterinary school as a civilian and, if accepted, they would commission you in as a 2nd Lt. (O-1) after your first year. You will complete BOLC and OCS in the summers between your veterinary school years. You do BOLC first, I believe, then you do OCS the next time you have 4 weeks free. After you graduate from vet school, they will commission you out, officially, as a Captain (O-3). Then you will be assigned a duty station to do your First Year Graduate Veterinary Education (FYGVE). After FYGVE, you will then serve three years wherever they decide to put you.

Essentially, you are a civilian during your school time because you do not perform any army duties while you are in school. They pay you for 45 days of active duty training (ADT) over your summers, even if the training doesn't cover the full 45 days. My recruiter made it seem like you just have to report to a recruiting station or a base or something a couple of times to ensure you are still alive and everything haha.

I'm a c/o 2023 veterinary student, starting school in August. I might not have the full information but I'm sure @Armyhealth could fill in wherever I might miss.

I'm working on my HPSP application right now. You don't need to worry about the application until around when you've received an acceptance from a school.

You would enter veterinary school as a civilian and, if accepted, they would commission you in as a 2nd Lt. (O-1) after your first year. You will complete BOLC and OCS in the summers between your veterinary school years. You do BOLC first, I believe, then you do OCS the next time you have 4 weeks free. After you graduate from vet school, they will commission you out, officially, as a Captain (O-3). Then you will be assigned a duty station to do your First Year Graduate Veterinary Education (FYGVE). After FYGVE, you will then serve three years wherever they decide to put you.

Essentially, you are a civilian during your school time because you do not perform any army duties while you are in school. They pay you for 45 days of active duty training (ADT) over your summers, even if the training doesn't cover the full 45 days. My recruiter made it seem like you just have to report to a recruiting station or a base or something a couple of times to ensure you are still alive and everything haha.

You attend DCC (direct commissioning course) first, and then BOLC. I believe OCS (officer candidate school) is something different entirely.

Every year you do one active duty training. First adt is going to be DCC, after that either BOLC or a externship at military veterinarian station of your choice. After you graduate, you do BOLC (if you haven’t already gone), then a few weeks at vet track, and then a ~1 year internship. Then you service obligation begins.

You have to do medical stuff every so often but the army pays for all that. The ADTs can be pretty isolating in terms of being stuck on a base, especially with a significant other. I wouldn’t write it off as a nothing, but you have to be alright with that lifestyle if you want anything to do with the military in general.

You attend DCC (direct commissioning course) first, and then BOLC. I believe OCS (officer candidate school) is something different entirely.

Every year you do one active duty training. First adt is going to be DCC, after that either BOLC or a externship at military veterinarian station of your choice. After you graduate, you do BOLC (if you haven’t already gone), then a few weeks at vet track, and then a ~1 year internship. Then you service obligation begins.

You have to do medical stuff every so often but the army pays for all that. The ADTs can be pretty isolating in terms of being stuck on a base, especially with a significant other. I wouldn’t write it off as a nothing, but you have to be alright with that lifestyle if you want anything to do with the military in general.
My recruiter made it sound like BOLC was first but I could be wrong overall. Like I said, I'm currently just an applicant! Thanks for the corrections, I knew I wouldn't be 100% correct.

Hello,
I'm a potential future applicant and was hoping to get some additional information that I hadn't seen answered above.

I'm currently thinking I would like to do some sort of mixed small and large animal (including equine) practice, but the impression I get is that Army vets are working pretty exclusively on small animals. Is this a correct assumption, or are there any opportunities to incorporate large animal practice? Or is this something where most people then go on to specialize in later either after leaving the military or potentially within the military?

Since it seems like the Army is the only branch with practicing veterinarians, are you only stationed at Army bases or could you be stationed at a base within another branch?

Lastly, could someone give me more specifics on the timeline and what exactly DCC and BOLC are?

Thank you!

Hello,
I'm a potential future applicant and was hoping to get some additional information that I hadn't seen answered above.

I'm currently thinking I would like to do some sort of mixed small and large animal (including equine) practice, but the impression I get is that Army vets are working pretty exclusively on small animals. Is this a correct assumption, or are there any opportunities to incorporate large animal practice? Or is this something where most people then go on to specialize in later either after leaving the military or potentially within the military?

Since it seems like the Army is the only branch with practicing veterinarians, are you only stationed at Army bases or could you be stationed at a base within another branch?

Lastly, could someone give me more specifics on the timeline and what exactly DCC and BOLC are?

Thank you!

There are places you can practice on Equine. We have Fort Hood, TX, Fort Myer, VA which has our Army horses. So we have a veterinarian assigned to their care. U.S. Army Caisson Platoon, HHC, 1st Bn, 3d Inf Regt

There are places you can practice on Equine. We have Fort Hood, TX, Fort Myer, VA which has our Army horses. So we have a veterinarian assigned to their care. U.S. Army Caisson Platoon, HHC, 1st Bn, 3d Inf Regt

The way they want you to take DCC and BOLC is DCC between your 2nd and 3rd year and BOLC between your 3rd and 4th year. Of course this depends on you and your schools schedule. You sign up for these courses so you will have some say when you go.

Another question - I wont be a citizenship unti midway through my freshman year of vet school. Does that disqualify me from applying for the program during school completely since I didn’t apply prior to the beginning of starting school?>

I am interested in the direct commission route. About to start year 3 of school. How far out from graduation should I start the application process for a direct commission? I am also curious how tracking large animal vs mixed animal or small animal might impact my application? I am currently an O3 in the Navy Reserves so I also will need to route a conditional release from service in order to commission in the Army.

Where are the FYGVE locations?
As of 2019, it was Fort Bragg, Fort Belvoir, Fort Benning, Fort Carson, and Joint Base Lewis-McChord. There might be more? But those are the locations I'm aware of.

Hi, I am hoping to apply for the HPSP scholarship if I gain acceptance during this cycle ( c/o 2025). My VMCAS application puts my GPA at 3.46, and I am wondering if I should take some one off courses at my community college during this gap year to try and raise that for when I apply for HPSP. Should I do this or are they just looking at the GPA I got accepted to a school with? And should I take science classes that boost my science GPA as well, or do they only look at my overall GPA? TIA!