Army Veterinary Corps Health Professional Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a separate thread on the VC HPSP because I get so many questions about it.

So here is the blurb from the official 2017 program guide-

Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) Provides a 3 year scholarship for students enrolled in an AVMA accredited DVM or VMD program. Applicants must be a US citizen. HPSP provides full tuition, monthly stipend of $2,229.30 for 10 and one half months and reimbursement of certain academic fees. Provides Second Lieutenant pay for 45 days during active duty training. Appointed and commissioned as a Second Lieutenant branch unassigned while participating in the HPSP program. Soldier is commissioned as a VC Captain upon completion of training. ADO is year-for-year for each year receiving the scholarship with a minimum obligation of 3 years. HPSP grads are required to apply for and attend the First Year Graduate Veterinary Education (FYGVE) Program, a one year hands on training covering clinical medicine, public health, leadership and hospital management. Time spent in FYGVE does not count towards repayment of the HPSP ADO.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Glad you posted! I'm considering applying this fall and have researched this online as much as possible. A few random questions:

1. How do academics factor into the application process? Are your pre-vet school stats important (undergrad GPA, GRE, etc.), or is it based of your first semester of vet school?
  2. How much of the actual job is food inspection? I remember reading on some blog that Army vets ended up doing 60% food inspection : 40% direct animal contact. Is that accurate? Or does it just vary by assignment? How much say do you have in choosing that?
  3. I am married and we are talking about having kids. During the summer breaks where HPSP recipients are with the Army, can families come with us (i.e. are the living on- or off-base during the training)? Does the Army pay for those related expenses?
  4. How many vets are typically sent overseas or deployed? I'm sure that's a fluid figure. From what I've read, you do your internship and first assignment stateside, followed by a strong possibility of going overseas for the last 2 years of the commitment. Is this accurate?

1- Yes your undergrad GPA and GRE are very important. Since you apply very early your first year you will only get that first semester worth of credits of your vet school in your application. Because of this there is not much to go on so they can really only look at what you did to get into the school.
2- It really depends on where you are stationed, if it is a larger base there is more veterinarians meaning the food inspection mission is more split up allowing you to focus on more clinic/surgery. If you are stationed on a smaller base then it will be a lot more food inspection. (for instance the only veterinary officer in my area is the only one at Fort Drum, he does two days a week on food inspection, one surgery day and two clinic days on the average.
3-Most the training/travel you will do while in Vet school will be hard to do with family. You could take them but most likely you will have to pay out of pocket to house them. However you cannot take them to Basic Officer's Leaders course with you. After you actually start as a veterinarian they go where you go and the Army gives them full healthcare and housing and all other benefits.
4-Yes you have a chance to deploy just like everyone else, as of right now there is not much going on for deployment cycle. So if things stay the way they are now you have a pretty low chance but we cant predict what the world will be doing in four years from now. We do have vets in Germany, Japan, South Korea and Italy that don't count as a deployment. Those positions are usually volunteered for but it is possible you could get one of those assignments as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year this year and a friend got a wait list position for this program. Do you know the chances she has of being pulled from the wait list?

I'm a first year this year and a friend got a wait list position for this program. Do you know the chances she has of being pulled from the wait list?

For this year not that good, not too many decline this program and there is a list of 49 on the waitlist. However they got rid of the 2 year mission and only pull off the waitlist so she may have a decent shot of being offered the 2 year scholarship next year depending how she ranked on the list.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to make a separate thread on the VC HPSP because I get so many questions about it. Cornell is in my area so I know this program very well. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

So here is the blub from the official 2017 program guide-

Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) Provides a 3 year scholarship for students enrolled in an AVMA accredited DVM or VMD program. Applicants must be a US citizen. HPSP provides full tuition, monthly stipend of $2,229.30 for 10 and one half months and reimbursement of certain academic fees. Provides Second Lieutenant pay for 45 days during active duty training. Appointed and commissioned as a Second Lieutenant branch unassigned while participating in the HPSP program. Soldier is commissioned as a VC Captain upon completion of training. ADO is year-for-year for each year receiving the scholarship with a minimum obligation of 3 years. HPSP grads are required to apply for and attend the First Year Graduate Veterinary Education (FYGVE) Program, a one year hands on training covering clinical medicine, public health, leadership and hospital management. Time spent in FYGVE does not count towards repayment of the HPSP ADO.

I've seen it as an AVMA accredited school and also as an AVMA accredited school in the United States. If I chose RVC over Tufts would that make me ineligible to apply?

I've seen it as an AVMA accredited school and also as an AVMA accredited school in the United States. If I chose RVC over Tufts would that make me ineligible to apply?

RVC - as in Royal in the UK I am assuming. The program does have to be in the US to be eligible.

1- Yes your undergrad GPA and GRE are very important. Since you apply very early your first year you will only get that first semester worth of credits of your vet school in your application. Because of this there is not much to go on so they can really only look at what you did to get into the school.
2- It really depends on where you are stationed, if it is a larger base there is more veterinarians meaning the food inspection mission is more split up allowing you to focus on more clinic/surgery. If you are stationed on a smaller base then it will be a lot more food inspection. (for instance the only veterinary officer in my area is the only one at Fort Drum, he does two days a week on food inspection, one surgery day and two clinic days on the average.
3-Most the training/travel you will do while in Vet school will be hard to do with family. You could take them but most likely you will have to pay out of pocket to house them. However you cannot take them to Basic Officer's Leaders course with you. After you actually start as a veterinarian they go where you go and the Army gives them full healthcare and housing and all other benefits.
4-Yes you have a chance to deploy just like everyone else, as of right now there is not much going on for deployment cycle. So if things stay the way they are now you have a pretty low chance but we cant predict what the world will be doing in four years from now. We do have vets in Germany, Japan, South Korea and Italy that don't count as a deployment. Those positions are usually volunteered for but it is possible you could get one of those assignments as well.

Thank you, that was very helpful. Clarified a few things I only read as rumors.

Another question. When can we the application process? Only once we are at school?

Last edited:
Thank you, that was very helpful. Clarified a few things I only read as rumors.

Another question. When can you we the application process? Only once we are at school?

You can start your process anytime you want. It is never too early, my VC HPSP started his process like 5 days after he was accepted at Cornell. Always good to plan and get a good timeline. PM me and I can find you a recruiter if you would like.

I apologize ahead of time if this is a foolish question - my family doesn't have strong military ties so it's not something I'm very familiar with. If a situation arises where deployment might be necessary (and, given our current political climate, that's not far fetched), would we generally be deployed in our capacity as veterinarians? Or, is there a potential of being deployed in a combative capacity? I imagine in a combat situation there is a lot of cross over and pitching in where needed but wanted to clarify whether the primary intent of our deployment would be a front line capacity.

Thank you for making this thread. I am interested and have a few questions as well:

1) Would the 45 day trainings get in the way of possible externships over the summers? Or will there be time to do both?
2) From your previous posts it does not seem like we have a say in which branch of veterinary medicine we will go in, is this true?
3) How does applying with a PhD affect one's rank during and after veterinary school?
4) The combat question from previous poster.
5) When do applications start and when will the applicant officially start if accepted?

Thank you for making this thread. I am interested and have a few questions as well:

1) Would the 45 day trainings get in the way of possible externships over the summers? Or will there be time to do both?
2) From your previous posts it does not seem like we have a say in which branch of veterinary medicine we will go in, is this true?
3) How does applying with a PhD affect one's rank during and after veterinary school?
5) When do applications start and when will the applicant officially start if accepted?

1) Will get back to you on this one, I am going to have my vet doc answer that one because I only know half truths.
2) Army is the only branch that has veterinarians.
3) It won't change it, you will be a 2LT in the IRR (inactive ready reserve) while in vet school. Everyone gets the same benefits while in this program as a student. You will get Captain after you graduate from Vet school automatically.
4) You are deployed as a veterinarian, we don't expect you to kick in doors or do combat jobs. You may do a little more outside of your comfort zone like vector control, sanitary inspections and things other medical officers do when deployed but no active combat roles.
5) The board for this is in January every year so you would need to start applying by at least November (I would start even earlier, summer of previous year just to be safe) The program would officially start on the first day of your second year of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Air force does have Public Health Officer's but you have to already have your DVM or Master's of Public Health and it is a public health position not a veterinarian position.

https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/public-health-officer
In 2015 I was in contact with a recruiter for a scholarship program for vet school from the USAF that was very similar to the Army's HPSP. I don't know if it still exists or not (I decided not to apply) but I know that at one point it did exist. Here's one of the original emails I received asking questions about it:

Hello, thank you for contacting me. I'd be happy to give you more information.

The Air Force is anticipating 3 year scholarships for students accepted or enrolled into an AVMA accredited Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) in fiscal year '15 (FY15). Our Air Force DVM's serve as Public Health officers.

If selected, the scholarship covers all fees, books, tuition, and equipment. Along with the scholarship you will receive a monthly stipend of a little over $2100.

If accepted, this is a total 8 year obligation, 3 years active duty, 5 years inactive reserve (IRR). Should you chose to separate at the end of 3 years you may, you are then in the IRR for the next 5 years. That means you are a civilian again, like you are now, there are no reserve weekends or anything; however, in the next 5 years, should they need to recall you, they can during that period. Keep in mind this has not happened in over 30+ years.

Upon completion of your DVM, you will attend Commissioned Officer Training (COT) located at Maxwell AFB, Al. COT is 4 ½ weeks long, where you learn to be a commissioned officer in the Air Force (how to wear the uniform, when to salute, rank, etc.).

This is a very competitive program, as you will be competing nationwide. I have attached a personal interview questionnaire. If you could complete this, it will help me further determine your qualifications. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

v/r,

XXXXX XXXXX, TSgt, USAF
USAF Health Professions Recruiter

In 2015 I was in contact with a recruiter for a scholarship program for vet school from the USAF that was very similar to the Army's HPSP. I don't know if it still exists or not (I decided not to apply) but I know that at one point it did exist. Here's one of the original emails I received asking questions about it:

Hello, thank you for contacting me. I'd be happy to give you more information.

The Air Force is anticipating 3 year scholarships for students accepted or enrolled into an AVMA accredited Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) in fiscal year '15 (FY15). Our Air Force DVM's serve as Public Health officers.

If selected, the scholarship covers all fees, books, tuition, and equipment. Along with the scholarship you will receive a monthly stipend of a little over $2100.

If accepted, this is a total 8 year obligation, 3 years active duty, 5 years inactive reserve (IRR). Should you chose to separate at the end of 3 years you may, you are then in the IRR for the next 5 years. That means you are a civilian again, like you are now, there are no reserve weekends or anything; however, in the next 5 years, should they need to recall you, they can during that period. Keep in mind this has not happened in over 30+ years.

Upon completion of your DVM, you will attend Commissioned Officer Training (COT) located at Maxwell AFB, Al. COT is 4 ½ weeks long, where you learn to be a commissioned officer in the Air Force (how to wear the uniform, when to salute, rank, etc.).

This is a very competitive program, as you will be competing nationwide. I have attached a personal interview questionnaire. If you could complete this, it will help me further determine your qualifications. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

v/r,

XXXXX XXXXX, TSgt, USAF
USAF Health Professions Recruiter

Ok, good to know they are giving scholarships. However it does say you will be working as a "public health officer" in the email. The description of a public health officer is on that link. Doesn't say anything about being a veterinarian.

Veterinarians working in public health capacities are very much still veterinarians to me, even if they aren't seeing patients in the traditional sense.

Maybe the military labels are somewhat different and we're talking semantics of their title, but I personally know two veterinarians in the Air Force. :shrug: I'm not sure what their daily job duties are, but they are still veterinarians and both went through that scholarship program kcoughli mentions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current VCO and a Cornell HPSP. Feel free to ask questions or send me a message privately if you'd like

Just to clarify the above: The Army is the Department of Defense's sole provider of animal medicine whereas the Navy, Air Force, and Army all have preventative medicine/public health missions.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any eligibility requirements / limitations for the program? Age restrictions or other general requirements or expectations?

Are there any eligibility requirements / limitations for the program? Age restrictions or other general requirements or expectations?

This is the official qualifications-
  • Bachelor's degree emphasizing natural sciences
  • Enrollment in or acceptance to an AVMA-accredited D.V.M. or V.M.D. program in the United States or Puerto Rico
  • Must be a U.S. citizen
  • Ability to maintain full-time student status
These are the ones that are not official but won't be competitive unless you at least have the minimum.
3.0 GPA (undergrad), 300 GRE, Age restriction is 38 without a waiver and of course you have to meet all medical qualifications and height/weight standards.

I'm a current VCO and a Cornell HPSP. Feel free to ask questions or send me a message privately if you'd like

Just to clarify the above: The Army is the Department of Defense's sole provider of animal medicine whereas the Navy, Air Force, and Army all have preventative medicine/public health missions.

Are you currently in the FYGVE Program? What does your day-to-day look like? What did your summer 45-day periods look like while in school?

These are the ones that are not official but won't be competitive unless you at least have the minimum.
3.0 GPA (undergrad), 300 GRE, Age restriction is 38 without a waiver and of course you have to meet all medical qualifications and height/weight standards.

I meet all of the general requirements except one. I'm a non-traditional student returning to the vet school path after Hurricane Katrina forced a 10 year delay. I'll be 39 when I start vet school in the fall. Does the waiver allow for exceptions to the age restriction? Or, is it likely that that proverbial ship has sailed?

3) It won't change it, you will be a 2LT in the IRR (inactive ready reserve) while in vet school. Everyone gets the same benefits while in this program as a student. You will get Captain after you graduate from Vet school automatically.

Armyhealth - What about constructive credit for the PhD received prior to accession on AD? Aren't these commissioned officers with degrees already attained granted constructive credit for TIG? So might he be bumped to Major (04) rather than Captain (03) when accessed onto active duty? I know this is true for other Direct Commissioned Officers in other medical specialties.

Armyhealth - What about constructive credit for the PhD received prior to accession on AD? Aren't these commissioned officers with degrees already attained granted constructive credit for TIG? So might he be bumped to Major (04) rather than Captain (03) when accessed onto active duty? I know this is true for other Direct Commissioned Officers in other medical specialties.

Med corps is the only one that gives constructive credit like that.

I meet all of the general requirements except one. I'm a non-traditional student returning to the vet school path after Hurricane Katrina forced a 10 year delay. I'll be 39 when I start vet school in the fall. Does the waiver allow for exceptions to the age restriction? Or, is it likely that that proverbial ship has sailed?

Yes you could apply for a age waiver, however because this program is so competitive the chance of it being granted is very, very low. You do have the option to come in as a direct vet after school and then your age waiver would be easier to get.

Here is your answer to the 1st one from the Veterinarian I know who did the VC HPSP through Purdue-

"If they apply and get the 3 year scholarship, I have heard they are making
them go through BOLC phase 1 in the summer between their 2nd and 3rd year of
vet school which obviously would get in the way of doing a summer externship
somewhere. If they get the 2 year scholarship, they can either use the 45 day
ADT to go extern at a military VTF if their school schedule allows. The other
option is to request an in-school ADT which nothing really changes except they
get 2LT pay instead of the stipend. Let me know if that made sense or not and
I can try to clarify it better."

They actually just changed BOLC and are trying to get everyone do it after their last year of vet school before reporting for FYGVE or first assignment, he did the program a couple years ago now so may be unaware of the change

I apologize ahead of time if this is a foolish question - my family doesn't have strong military ties so it's not something I'm very familiar with. If a situation arises where deployment might be necessary (and, given our current political climate, that's not far fetched), would we generally be deployed in our capacity as veterinarians? Or, is there a potential of being deployed in a combative capacity? I imagine in a combat situation there is a lot of cross over and pitching in where needed but wanted to clarify whether the primary intent of our deployment would be a front line capacity.

Sorry Tulojow, I skipped this question! Good chance you will do some veterinary functions. We have Military Police Dogs deployed with us and you will be the primary care giver to those very important dogs (most of them outrank me!) Also you will be doing a lot of public health functions. Food inspection, Vector control, sanitary inspections, checking local animals for disease, checking water sources. You will usually have other medical officers with you on the team to help with this mission like an environmental science officer or an entomologist. However the mission changes depending where you go and what kind of unit you are in. However the Army won't expect you to be a direct combat role, you wont be kicking in doors or going on foot patrols or anything crazy like that.

Is this program offered to students who are enrolled in Ross University? The university in st kitts

Are you currently in the FYGVE Program? What does your day-to-day look like? What did your summer 45-day periods look like while in school?

I'm a current FYGVE. I made time during clinics to spend a month at Fort Carson and on Oahu. I would recommend trying to go to locations with multiple clinics in the area so you can maximize what you see during your ADT time (such as surgical procedures, audits, and cross-training). I got to do/assist on a number of surgeries as well as tag along on a few audits and inspections.

My normal day (if it truly exists) is as follows:
- Wake up 0445-0515 for PT and drive to base
- 0600/0630 - 0730 is PT time
- Shower on post, change to duty uniform, eat breakfast, get to clinic before 0800
- Depending on the rotation, I will do callbacks, email, or get ready for surgery
-0900 to close of business is appointments, surgeries, other craziness depending on the day
- I'm usually leaving the clinic around 1700 and home by 1800 depending on traffic

Feel free to PM me questions or tag me in a reply here

I wanted to make a separate thread on the VC HPSP because I get so many questions about it. Cornell is in my area so I know this program very well. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

So here is the blub from the official 2017 program guide-

Hi:

I am a third year veterinary student. I will graduate in May 2018. I am also a USDA pathways intern with FSIS. (Food Safety and Inspection)
What armed forces scholarships are available to me at this point in my education cycle?
Are there scholarship or loan repayment programs available to veterinarians who enter into service as soon as they graduate.
I will graduate with a Masters in Public Health and a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. I will also have started my Masters in Food Safety.G.PA 3.0
Thanks

Hi:

I am a third year veterinary student. I will graduate in May 2018. I am also a USDA pathways intern with FSIS. (Food Safety and Inspection)
What armed forces scholarships are available to me at this point in my education cycle?
Are there scholarship or loan repayment programs available to veterinarians who enter into service as soon as they graduate.
I will graduate with a Masters in Public Health and a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. I will also have started my Masters in Food Safety.G.PA 3.0
Thanks

So we don't have any scholarships available this late for the Army. We offer the three year scholarships and we have so many that apply they use that same applicant pool for two year and one year scholarships if they become open. You can join as a direct vet in your last year and we do have student loan repayment available up to 120K for a three year contract.

So we don't have any scholarships available this late for the Army. We offer the three year scholarships and we have so many that apply they use that same applicant pool for two year and one year scholarships if they become open. You can join as a direct vet in your last year and we do have student loan repayment available up to 120K for a three year contract.
Thanks so much for the response. What a great service you provide. Kudos to you.
Four More 1.When in the last year do I apply? Would it be this coming Fall? or anytime? 2. What determines how much loan repayment is available? 3. Does the Maters in Public Health help me ? Is a 3.0 competitive enough? Thanks

1.The board for you would be in Feb. so you would want to start at least the October before that just to make sure everything is ready.
2. The Army gives a "program guide" each year based on needs of the Army. It is usually 120K for active duty 64A (veterinarian). Yes the Master's of public health will for sure help, as a vet officer you do a lot of public health functions as well so that is great. GPA is less important when you have already graduated but plays a small factor. For you it is really about how many are applying that year and how many of the applicants have work experience.

1.The board for you would be in Feb. so you would want to start at least the October before that just to make sure everything is ready.
2. The Army gives a "program guide" each year based on needs of the Army. It is usually 120K for active duty 64A (veterinarian). Yes the Master's of public health will for sure help, as a vet officer you do a lot of public health functions as well so that is great. GPA is less important when you have already graduated but plays a small factor. For you it is really about how many are applying that year and how many of the applicants have work experience.
T

thanks so very much. So I will contact the recruiter in my area and tell them that I want to get going to have an October application ready, So, is it January of 2018 that they know how many veterinarian loan repayment slots are available for direct commission? I will be sitting for the boards in Nov. 2017.

thanks so very much. So I will contact the recruiter in my area and tell them that I want to get going to have an October application ready, So, is it January of 2018 that they know how many veterinarian loan repayment slots are available for direct commission? I will be sitting for the boards in Nov. 2017.
Just to be clear, a doctor with two years who decides to apply is going to be higher ranked that a doctor who applies right after school, do to work experience?

We find out how many slots we have available and the incentives usually around August/September of the previous year. Our fiscal year is in October so that is when the slots officially open. Yes, for direct applicants work experience is always at the top of the list.

I'm thinking about applying for the HPSP scholarship, I was just wondering how competitive it is? A few people told me as long as you had good grades it wasn't too hard, but I'm getting the impression it's really not that easy. Do you have any idea how many people apply and out of those how many are accepted a year? Also, besides grades for Undergrad/Vet school/GREs and the physical requirements, what do they look at to decide who gets accepted and who doesn't? I know they look at past jobs and put emphasis on leadership experience, but what exactly does that mean, seeing as most of their applicants are only fresh out of undergrad and as full time students probably were only able to work in the summers or part time during the school year.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about applying for the HPSP scholarship, I was just wondering how competitive it is? A few people told me as long as you had good grades it wasn't too hard, but I'm getting the impression it's really not that easy. Do you have any idea how many people apply and out of those how many are accepted a year? Also, besides grades for Undergrad/Vet school/GREs and the physical requirements, what do they look at to decide who gets accepted and who doesn't? I know they look at past jobs and put emphasis on leadership experience, but what exactly does that mean, seeing as most of their applicants are only fresh out of undergrad and as full time students probably were only able to work in the summers or part time during the school year.

Competitiveness changes year to year but you can assume it will be at least a 3/1 ratio from applicants to scholarship awardees. This year there were 33 slots for the scholarship and over a 100 applicants. It is not so much leadership experience as leadership potential. Most students are not going to have experience but you can address your wiliness to lead in your personal statement and from your letters of recommendation. The most important thing is your undergrad GPA/GRE and the school you get accepted into.

Posting in hopes you're still active here.

I am getting more curious about this scholarship and have a few questions:

Could you provide more information on the application process? You mentioned letters of recommendation and personal statement. What else is there?

Does being prior service effect your competitiveness? I was active duty for 4 years (Army, enlisted). Honorably discharged but still in the IRR.

On that same topic, I have a 20% VA rating (bad knees, no mental health issues). I actually left with a permanent p2(I think) profile Would this hurt my chances?

You mention GPA and the school you get accepted to matters. What is typically a competitive GPA? How does the school influence your application? I got into Mississippi state (already started classes). What effect would that have?

Last edited:
Posting in hopes you're still active here.

I am getting more curious about this scholarship and have a few questions:

Could you provide more information on the application process? You mentioned letters of recommendation and personal statement. What else is there?

Does being prior service effect your competitiveness? I was active duty for 4 years (Army, enlisted). Honorably discharged but still in the IRR.

On that same topic, I have a 20% VA rating (bad knees, no mental health issues). I actually left with a permanent p2(I think) profile Would this hurt my chances?

You mention GPA and the school you get accepted to matters. What is typically a competitive GPA? How does the school influence your application? I got into Mississippi state (already started classes). What effect would that have?

First step is talking to a healthcare recruiter either face to face or over the phone to go over your qualifications and give you a timeline and a list of all the required documents. It is not so much the 20% but how your knees are now, you would take a commissioning physical to see if you could come back on to active duty and they would look at your medical history at that point. If accepted into the program you would have to give up your 20%.

If you have over a 3.4 you are at least competitive but they will look at you as long as you have over a 3.0, prior service does help as long as there is nothing negative in your records.. The Army looks at the ranking of your schools vet program but GPA and GRE are the more important factors. They just want to make sure you won't have difficulty passing your program and if the program itself has a reputation of success.

First step is talking to a healthcare recruiter either face to face or over the phone to go over your qualifications and give you a timeline and a list of all the required documents. It is not so much the 20% but how your knees are now, you would take a commissioning physical to see if you could come back on to active duty and they would look at your medical history at that point. If accepted into the program you would have to give up your 20%.

Yea, I know I'd give up the 20%. We have a presentation next week with what I assume is a recruiter, I just wanted to start digging up some information before I bog them down with a massive pile of questions.

If you have over a 3.4 you are at least competitive but they will look at you as long as you have over a 3.0, prior service does help as long as there is nothing negative in your records.. The Army looks at the ranking of your schools vet program but GPA and GRE are the more important factors. They just want to make sure you won't have difficulty passing your program and if the program itself has a reputation of success.

Seems kind of odd considering most schools boast a ~99% pass rate for the NAVLE. I guess some people do slip through the cracks and wash out though. Definitely nothing bad in my previous service. Nothing spectacular either. Just did my time (including a deployment) and then got out to finish school.

Any idea what they would be looking for in the physical? Like I said, I left on a perm profile that was run at your own pace, so I did the walking PT test. Not to give to much medical history out but I haven't even received treatment for anything once I left...so I would assume I'm not too broken.

Some more questions:

How would O+E pay work for me? Everything lists it as 4 years + 1 day of service. I'm only at 4 years. So would my pay time in service start over or would it start at 4 years?

Now that I've started vet school, my undergrad GPA and GRE are sort of set in stone. What could I be doing now to be a more competitive applicant?

When you say a 3.4 is competitive and 3.0 is required, does that realistically mean a 3.4 is the cut off or do people with a 3.0 actually make it in?

Seems kind of odd considering most schools boast a ~99% pass rate for the NAVLE.
Not really relevant to the thread, but pass rate for NAVLE =/= pass rate for the program. Two different things entirely. One is just the board exam, the other is 4 years of school.

Not really relevant to the thread, but pass rate for NAVLE =/= pass rate for the program. Two different things entirely. One is just the board exam, the other is 4 years of school.

It isn't directly related but it's relatively the same. Each class (at least at Mississippi) only loses 1-2 people per class(and most of those are due to injury or disciplinary action, not academics) along the way. It's not like you're comparing pass rates for undergrad schools that average around 55-70%, it's still going to be over 95%.

I get the point you're trying to make but it's not like a significant amount of people don't make it through vet school over academics alone.

Yea, I know I'd give up the 20%. We have a presentation next week with what I assume is a recruiter, I just wanted to start digging up some information before I bog them down with a massive pile of questions.

Seems kind of odd considering most schools boast a ~99% pass rate for the NAVLE. I guess some people do slip through the cracks and wash out though. Definitely nothing bad in my previous service. Nothing spectacular either. Just did my time (including a deployment) and then got out to finish school.

Any idea what they would be looking for in the physical? Like I said, I left on a perm profile that was run at your own pace, so I did the walking PT test. Not to give to much medical history out but I haven't even received treatment for anything once I left...so I would assume I'm not too broken.

Some more questions:

How would O+E pay work for me? Everything lists it as 4 years + 1 day of service. I'm only at 4 years. So would my pay time in service start over or would it start at 4 years?

Now that I've started vet school, my undergrad GPA and GRE are sort of set in stone. What could I be doing now to be a more competitive applicant?

When you say a 3.4 is competitive and 3.0 is required, does that realistically mean a 3.4 is the cut off or do people with a 3.0 actually make it in?

The physical is just going over your medical history, any questions to specific medical conditions you would have to look in the regulation to see if it states it specifically, if not then it is up to the interpretation of the doctor who looks at your history and does the exam of your knee.

Not too much you can do at this point, they do look at what jobs you are working and volunteer time. So if you are getting relevant work experience and showing dedication to others it helps some.

Very rarely does an applicant with around a 3.0 get in, however prior service applicants they will look at regardless or they may think a UC Davis or Cornell 3.1 may be better prepared then a 3.5 from a smaller program. Each person who sits on the board has their own ideas on what makes a great veterinarian like any acceptance committee.

Forgot the OE pay, you should be qualified OE pay. Once you graduate from Vet school you would come on active duty as a O3E. Just look up the pay scale and you can see the basics of how it works.

Do you have any information about direct commission after obtaining a DVM?

I would not qualify for the vet corp scholarship if they count undergrad cumulative GPA but I come from a military family and have worked with vets at a military working dog facility and am extremely interested.