Army Special Forces -- Enlistment options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FamMed and More

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Family Medicine Resident and have a question. After residency I want to join the Army Special Forces as a active 18D ODA medic, not just Battalion Surgeon.

My question is whether it is a better idea to go through OCS as a Direct Commission to get through basic training and then resign my commission, or to rather instead straight enlist through the 18X program and get through Basic/AIT that way?

Before someone brings it up, I thoroughly understand the PT, incredible hard work, and motivation involved and have been researching and training for this for some time. And please no responses about the stupidity/craziness/absurdity of this decision, I get enough of that from my friends, family, and colleagues.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Not an SF guy myself so grain of salt may be in order. However, I've seen the end result of medical folks who go the first route you mention. I wouldn't give most of them a high chance of getting through the SFQC. I would tend to think that going the 18X path would better prepare you.

Someone else may have a different/informed opinion.

You don't want to hear it but your family is right. It's great that you want to serve. You could make a real difference as an FP in the Army and you might be able to get into the SF side of things.

Now, on to this craziness, if you go to OCS and try to game the system by subsequently resigning your commission...why in the world do you think they will make you happy by letting you anywhere near a SF unit? In the Navy, you'd be chipping paint as an undesignated seaman. I imagine the Army could do worse.

If you enlist with the intention of becoming a SF medic, that might work but attrition for physical reasons is high and there is a pretty good chance you'd end up wiping gomer ass at a Army hospital for several years.

Why not start by calling a recruiter and ask to speak to an SF doc? If they can't put you in touch, do it yourself by calling an SF unit and leaving a message for the doc.

Good luck, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice and viewpoints. I plan on calling a recruiter tomorrow (can't believe that didn't occur to me before now!)

On a different note: what about joining Reserves or the National Guard while still in residency and then trying out? Or could that be another snare that would actually work to prevent a transfer to SF, meaning the higher-ups wouldn't allow such a transfer to take place?

Thanks for the advice and viewpoints. I plan on calling a recruiter tomorrow (can't believe that didn't occur to me before now!)

On a different note: what about joining Reserves or the National Guard while still in residency and then trying out? Or could that be another snare that would actually work to prevent a transfer to SF, meaning the higher-ups wouldn't allow such a transfer to take place?

Because if you join the NG (although it could be a direct option for SF if you live in the right state...Rep 63 is NG version of 18X), unless you do so as an AMEDD officer, to my knowledge you aren't protected from deployment.

There are no Reserve SF assets. There are Civil Affairs units however, 99% of which are USAR and may fill some level of self-actualization for you. You would also be an officer.

AFAIK, if you wash out of 18X you won't be wiping Gomer ass. You'll be reclassed as an infantryman.

So even though you'll have your doctorate, you want to go enlisted? Instead of an officer? I have no idea about this stuff, but I would think it would be better to become some kind of SF doc. I could see how a FM background could fit well with the SF mission.

Also, there is a gentleman who post here with the Special Forces shoulder sleeve insignia on his signature/avatar thing. Maybe he could help you out. Because I am interested as well.

Have you done any real research?

What is prompting this "decision?" Do you hate residency that much? Do you attach so little value to your medical degree and your years of postgraduate training that you think you'd render better service as a glorified paramedic than a trained Doctor? Or have you just watched too many war movies?

If you washed out of the Q course (likely) they'd make you what you should have been in the first place- a Medical Officer, not an infantryman.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need to sit down and ask yourself some deep questions about what is motivating this, and if you're still committed, then you need to see a shrink, maybe at the mil's expense.

61N

Have you done any real research?

What is prompting this "decision?" Do you hate residency that much? Do you attach so little value to your medical degree and your years of postgraduate training that you think you'd render better service as a glorified paramedic than a trained Doctor? Or have you just watched too many war movies?

If you washed out of the Q course (likely) they'd make you what you should have been in the first place- a Medical Officer, not an infantryman.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need to sit down and ask yourself some deep questions about what is motivating this, and if you're still committed, then you need to see a shrink, maybe at the mil's expense.

61N

The only thing I can come up with after reading this is this must be a troll. I can't imagine anyone who would spend years training to be a doctor only to throw it away and do something they could have done without the medical degree. Ridiculous. Either you've seen way too many war movies and you've glamorized it in your head (which is actually more ridiculous than the first statement) or you are a true idiot, which makes me feel sorry for you and actually makes me want to know what school you came out of, because I don't want to ever see a doctor from there. You can serve our men and women so much better as a doctor compared to the medic who probably wished he was a doctor so he/she could do more. Only a fool wouldn't know this. Being a doctor is a privilege when it comes to being able to provide that kind of level of care to any of our service members. That level of training is a blessing to them, and it is something they deserve. Don't you think our special forces deserve a doctor also? Or are they only good enough to get a medic? I'm not sure what your line of thinking is here, but again, I'm really hoping you are a troll. Your statements kind of insulted a whole slew of military members as a whole, and that offends me also.

The only thing I can come up with after reading this is this must be a troll. I can't imagine anyone who would spend years training to be a doctor only to throw it away and do something they could have done without the medical degree. Ridiculous. Either you've seen way too many war movies and you've glamorized it in your head (which is actually more ridiculous than the first statement) or you are a true idiot, which makes me feel sorry for you and actually makes me want to know what school you came out of, because I don't want to ever see a doctor from there. You can serve our men and women so much better as a doctor compared to the medic who probably wished he was a doctor so he/she could do more. Only a fool wouldn't know this. Being a doctor is a privilege when it comes to being able to provide that kind of level of care to any of our service members. That level of training is a blessing to them, and it is something they deserve. Don't you think our special forces deserve a doctor also? Or are they only good enough to get a medic? I'm not sure what your line of thinking is here, but again, I'm really hoping you are a troll. Your statements kind of insulted a whole slew of military members as a whole, and that offends me also.
A month ago he wanted to join the Coast Guard Reserve, so...
I know several physicians who left medicine for a number of reasons, law, business, loss of passion, 100% research, pharma, etc. I also know several professional soldiers who left the military to pursue a career in medicine.
I have never heard of anyone leaving medicine to become a professional soldier. And, if I read correctly, he doesn't even want to be an officer? WTF is that all about. Pure fantasy. The only exception would be if he was independently wealthy and had no debt and the financial resources to follow his dreams without regard to debt or salary considerations. He also has not done an internship or residency yet? Very confusing.:confused:
As you said, he would best serve the people he claims to want to serve by using his valuable skills as a fully trained physician.:rolleyes:

Agree with everyone above me and would like to point out that about every 6 months someone comes on this forum and asks how they can go to medical school and also be the next Rambo. The plans for doing so are ill considered to just plain stupid, and I'd just about guarantee that no-one who has posted about it has ever gone on to become a Seal, Green Beret, PJ or what-have-you after medical school.
But in a kindness to the OP I will put this out there for consideration: Air Force Reserve has reserve special tactics (AF's elite forces) squadrons which include pararescue (hostile-environment search & rescue and paramedic+ medical training) and combat control (hostile-environment air traffic control [they did ATC after the Haiti earthquake]) and Combat Weather. There is an officer career field called "Combat Rescue Officer" which now constitutes the officer cadre for PJs (they used to be all enlisted on the PJ side). The CRO pathway is long, just like PJs (>1yr) and, I believe, has a similar washout rate (~85% along the pipeline-and you can wash out at any point in the pipeline). At least looking into this pathway you could get a commission (although I think they have a strong preference for prior enlisted PJs [obviously they've already proven themselves]) and have a reserve job (albeit a "Hooah" one) and the ability to continue your medical career (completely unprotected from deployment, yipee).

It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

-O' Brother Where Art Thou

I am trying to find the information, but I can't, but it was about an ER doc that enlisted in the military and, I believe, was an 18D. He then got killed. I thought he was US Army and killed in Afghanistan, but I can't find it right now.

At the same time, there is a guy with whom I work who spent 5 years as an army doc (trained in EM), who went to law school (which, he said, contributed to the demise of his first marriage), and then joined the Marine Corps, as, he said, any of the other 3 services would have made him work as a doctor, not as a JAG.

I also heard (maybe here on SDN) about a dentist in Iraq who liked to carry the rifle, and would go on patrol with the ground pounders (but his regular job was teeth - not 11B).

To the OP...
What you plan to do has been done several times and is not new or a big deal.
FYI... You don't have to live in the same state that you join the NG in. I know of several TX/WA/CA NG members who don't live in TX/WA/CA. I can think of several civilian MDs that joined the NG, went thru the pipeline and deployed as 18Ds.

They simply didn't want to deal with the pathological admin crap that goes along with being a Military Physician and wanted to be at the pointy end.

Go to the "professional soldiers" SF web site, join, introduce yourself, read and use the "search function" then 'HUMBLY" ask your questions.

Just a few thoughts...

YMMV

DocNusum

Members don't see this ad :)
Two things:

1. If you are set on this---definitely go the 18X route. That will be your fastest way to become a Green Beret. BE ADVISED--you may not be selected. You may not be selected because the army decides they want you as a doctor. Selection is subjective.

2. Another option--a friend of a friend (really) was SF in the 1970s, went to med school, was a doc for a number of years and then wanted to serve again. So he joined the guard and then linked up with some SF units and now does hooah stuff as an MD with SF groups (as a 55 year old MD). I think he is an exception not the rule.

I think getting an MD and then enlisting is more worthwhile, then getting an MD and moving to hollywood to do facelifts.

As a former hard core Infantryman myself with many friends who went down that long winding pipeline into SF, I have to ask, why are you so interested in SF? Are you collecting titles or something to brag on yourself? If so don't waste your time, there have been countless other self promoters who have been rejected and utterly canabalized by hard core types.

I've met so many physician types in my training who seem to brag constantly on themselves and their miniature accomplishments. If you are another one of these, you won't get far. Guaranteed. It's a small profession that I belonged to, and SF is even smaller, word travels fast, watch every step you take and every word you say.

Why not just be a doc in the military? Why the interest in being SF?

BTW, SF doesn't need you, they have so many very well trained educated and talented people, including physicians, who speak a multitude of languages trying out for them, in the end what could you offer them is the question?

Find the right reasons and you might have a chance would be my advice. But WTF would i know? Right...

By the way, I can count on two fingers the number of people who I work with that know that I am even a veteran, neither one of them is a fellow doctor, and both are vets themselves. No one in my school had a clue. I didn't use it as my way to become a doctor either. Neither one of them knows anything more about it. I don't talk about it. I don't brag about it. I just as soon forget it. But I've seen my share of BS artists and Posers out there. I just take their names down and send them down range for a later date. I'm really unassuming.

(I love the posers out there. And there are more than a few in medicine. So be careful who you are BSing if you are so inclined to tell tales.)

Being a warrior is as high of a calling as being a physician... If not higher IMO. Much harder to say the least. Longer hours and the stakes are much higher. Being in any combat arms takes more gonads than anything in boring medicine can toss at you.

Good Luck to you.

Last edited:
As a former hard core Infantryman myself with many friends who went down that long winding pipeline into SF, I have to ask, why are you so interested in SF? Are you collecting titles or something to brag on yourself? If so don't waste your time, there have been countless other self promoters who have been rejected and utterly canabalized by hard core types.

I've met so many physician types in my training who seem to brag constantly on themselves and their miniature accomplishments. If you are another one of these, you won't get far. Guaranteed. It's a small profession that I belonged to, and SF is even smaller, word travels fast, watch every step you take and every word you say.

By the way, I can count on two fingers the number of people who I work with that know that I am even a veteran, neither one of them is a fellow doctor, and both are vets themselves. No one in my school had a clue. I didn't use it as my way to become a doctor either. Neither one of them knows anything more about it. I don't talk about it. I don't brag about it. I just as soon forget it. But I've seen my share of BS artists and Posers out there. I just take their names down and send them down range for a later date. I'm really unassuming.

(I love the posers out there. And there are more than a few in medicine. So be careful who you are BSing if you are so inclined to tell tales.)

Being a warrior is as high of a calling as being a physician... If not higher IMO. Much harder to say the least. Longer hours and the stakes are much higher. Being in any combat arms takes more gonads than anything in boring medicine can toss at you.

Good Luck to you.
I want to gag. Get to an ER immediately and have your hydrocephalus addressed.

Did I strike a nerve? lol.

I earned my big head. But unlike others with far less to brag about, I don't say a word. It's really refreshing for me to not brag on myself unlike my colleagues with much less to talk about.

oh well, feel free to brag, I'll let you.

I'm not sure I believe that a 'hard core' infantryman (what MOS is that exactly?) would make an account just to post this. Not sure he wouldn't, either, but it seems a tad 4Chanish.

Did I strike a nerve? lol.

I earned my big head. But unlike others with far less to brag about, I don't say a word. It's really refreshing for me to not brag on myself unlike my colleagues with much less to talk about.

oh well, feel free to brag, I'll let you.

Dude, you've used the word "brag" 6 times in 2 posts.

I'm not a big SF guy, but the spec operators I've known (USA SF and USN UDT/SEAL) don't sound like you.

Dude, you've used the word "brag" 6 times in 2 posts.

I'm not a big SF guy, but the spec operators I've known (USA SF and USN UDT/SEAL) don't sound like you.
Right on target.

I think he needs to get back to playing Call of Duty online.

I just wanted everyone to know that it took me 2 minutes to reach the cecum on Friday. Oh, and I don't brag. Did I mention that I don't brag. I'm one hard core gastroenterologist and hardcore gastroenterologists don't brag.

Maybe he meant fort brag...nah.

Also, if you think the SF is going to let a doctor enlist you are dreaming. They want people that will make SF their only priority. A doctor has another item that is hard to abandon....MEDICINE.

On a positive note, the SF community will let their docs do most of the same crazy training and schools. But on deployment, you have to be a doc....Not a soldier. This is the best of both worlds.

As a former hard core Infantryman myself ...

Sorry buddy, beating Halo on hardcore doesn't count.

I love the posers out there. And there are more than a few in medicine. So be careful who you are BSing if you are so inclined to tell tales.

Good advice, you should listen to it.

@OP- military's one option, but you may want to check out the civilian side of spec ops/law enforcement as well. If you live in Florida feel free to PM me and I can direct you to some resources

I believe I am the only retired 18D/Z (20 year army vet) with > 12 years in SF including 7 years team time, who then went on to med school. It is possible to serve in SF as a physician, each battalion is assigned a doc who sometime deploys with the bn hq on missions. Most of these are regular army docs, (you must be airborne), but all have an option to go to the "Q" course and earn their SF tabs and green beret if they feel the need for some suffering. However, the real action is and always will be on an A-team, and that is not really a option for a MD. But service to your country in uniform as a doctor is a truly noble cause.

I must be pretty inspiring on here.

Tell me your band camp stories guys, anyone have a high school story to share about how they were in a book club? LOL. Maybe you can tell me who you went to band camp with?

"I took 2nd place at band camp after I ran track in high school."

That's about the gist of it all in med school.

Any good college drinking stories or stories waking up next to an oinker? I'm trying to include you guys so you don't feel so bad about your accomplishments!

The guilty ones are probably the ones getting frantically mad and defensive!

BTW, you people should be in awe of FlameBoy. He's probably the most accomplished person on the entire site. Yet how many will acknowledge it? None, because you guys think backwards from the rest of society. You idolize attendings with behavioral problems making middle class living. And to me that's odd.

I mean a guy who has knowledge of gov secrets, a real warrior who trained to the highest degree and has an ability to do some pretty horrific things if he so selected to... and was on top of his profession.... and medicine should be honored to have him even consider doing it. Yet I bet many of those who know/knew are jealous b/c they didn't have what it took to do the same things.

that's not to mention I bet he has some real genuine famous/real leader contacts in very high places. yet a guy like that won't brag. Won't say a word. Yet the guy who went to school two years after britany speers will brag all day and night as if that made them famous or something.

Last edited:
I must be pretty inspiring on here.

Tell me your band camp stories guys, anyone have a high school story to share about how they were in a book club? LOL. Maybe you can tell me who you went to band camp with?

"I took 2nd place at band camp after I ran track in high school."

That's about the gist of it all in med school.

Any good college drinking stories or stories waking up next to an oinker? I'm trying to include you guys so you don't feel so bad about your accomplishments!

The guilty ones are probably the ones getting frantically mad and defensive!

BTW, you people should be in awe of FlameBoy. He's probably the most accomplished person on the entire site. Yet how many will acknowledge it? None, because you guys think backwards from the rest of society. You idolize attendings with behavioral problems making middle class living. And to me that's odd.

I mean a guy who has knowledge of gov secrets, a real warrior who trained to the highest degree and has an ability to do some pretty horrific things if he so selected to... and was on top of his profession.... and medicine should be honored to have him even consider doing it. Yet I bet many of those who know/knew are jealous b/c they didn't have what it took to do the same things.

that's not to mention I bet he has some real genuine famous/real leader contacts in very high places. yet a guy like that won't brag. Won't say a word. Yet the guy who went to school two years after britany speers will brag all day and night as if that made them famous or something.
For someone who claims to like to lay low, you're pretty full of yourself. I served my country honorably in a different way. So what? We're all on the same team, supporting the same goals and we all deserve a :thumbup:. Ignore the negative and stay positive!
P.S. I won a pretty serious sailing regatta a while back. AND, I didn't have to snipe the other Captains from 500 meters to do it. Who's the man now?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Flameboy said:
I believe I am the only retired 18D/Z (20 year army vet) with > 12 years in SF including 7 years team time, who then went on to med school.

Wow, that's impressive. Out of curiosity, what does 'team time' mean in the context of the SF community?

Last edited:

8/3. I don't count the post that you deleted because you state it was a double post.

Who even uses the word "brag" (besides you)? Kid Rock? "I don't brag but I like to boast." But you seem nearly fixated on it, to exclusion of other, equivalent words in the language.

Wow, that's impressive. Out of curiosity, what does 'team time' mean in the context of the SF community?
There are three (at least in 1992) Battalions in an SF group. Each Battalion is composed of four companies or operational detachment bravos (ODB). Each ODB supports six operational detachment alphas (ODA) or "A-teams" commonly called the teams. A long time ago each team had an area of expertise such as HALO or combat diving, I'm not sure how they are organized now. Each team is composed of 12 men in theory (again in 1992 it was unusual to be at full strength) which is the basic operational unit of the SF. The time spent "in the team" is considered to be the best. Time spent in staff or administrative positions, not so much. It was not unusual for soldiers to deliberately turn down schools that would lead to promotion and take them out of the teams. Officers usually only get one assignment to the teams then with promotion are relegated to command or staff positions. This means the enlisted and the warrant officers carry the institutional memory.

David Carpenter, PA-C

For someone who claims to like to lay low, you're pretty full of yourself. I served my country honorably in a different way. So what? We're all on the same team, supporting the same goals and we all deserve a :thumbup:. Ignore the negative and stay positive!
P.S. I won a pretty serious sailing regatta a while back. AND, I didn't have to snipe the other Captains from 500 meters to do it. Who's the man now?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

At least sailing takes talent! No joke. You know what I am talking about and that's not it.

8/3. I don't count the post that you deleted because you state it was a double post.

Who even uses the word "brag" (besides you)? Kid Rock? "I don't brag but I like to boast." But you seem nearly fixated on it, to exclusion of other, equivalent words in the language.

I like the word brag. Since it upsets you I will never use it again.

you treat it like a nasty four lettered word.

Bragging anonymously is much different than sitting around telling everyone in public and demanding respect.

See I find it quite angering that I had to suffer the losses of my best friendsa and suffer injuries that slow me down. Sure, I volunteered while many others who consider themselves too good to defend themselves or their families and skirted their responsibilities and made excuses.

Why did I have to volunteer? where were Those who think they are the best? They really need lowly old me to protect them from the bad guys? They can't defend themselves and their own families? OMG. But they are always sharking around for any honor and glory that may be dished out...The best should not need me to fight for them. Maybe they were too busy smoking

If there's any admiration or honor left, maybe you guys can scramble for the scraps, just like you civilians leave for the american veterans who are maimed and have constant memories that have forever changed them and made them them suspicious and mistrusting of civilians.

Last edited:
I believe I am the only retired 18D/Z (20 year army vet) with > 12 years in SF including 7 years team time, who then went on to med school. It is possible to serve in SF as a physician, each battalion is assigned a doc who sometime deploys with the bn hq on missions. Most of these are regular army docs, (you must be airborne), but all have an option to go to the "Q" course and earn their SF tabs and green beret if they feel the need for some suffering. However, the real action is and always will be on an A-team, and that is not really a option for a MD. But service to your country in uniform as a doctor is a truly noble cause.

Curious to what the docs mostly went to residency for? I could see both EM and FM, others to a less extent.

Most bn docs are GMO, just out of school, before residency, a Captain's slot.

Last edited:
I like the word brag. Since it upsets you I will never use it again.

you treat it like a nasty four lettered word.

Bragging anonymously is much different than sitting around telling everyone in public and demanding respect.

See I find it quite angering that I had to suffer the losses of my best friendsa and suffer injuries that slow me down. Sure, I volunteered while many others who consider themselves too good to defend themselves or their families and skirted their responsibilities and made excuses.

Why did I have to volunteer? where were Those who think they are the best? They really need lowly old me to protect them from the bad guys? They can't defend themselves and their own families? OMG. But they are always sharking around for any honor and glory that may be dished out...The best should not need me to fight for them. Maybe they were too busy smoking

If there's any admiration or honor left, maybe you guys can scramble for the scraps, just like you civilians leave for the american veterans who are maimed and have constant memories that have forever changed them and made them them suspicious and mistrusting of civilians.

sewious.jpg

I have the utmost respect for the grizzled, gnarly Special Forces type guys who I read about in books and see in movies. I also respect anybody who serves their country. Funny thing is, those cool guys that I have respect for don't throw hissy fits on the internet.

Last edited:
This thread is hilarious....I truly think the OP delusional

sewious.jpg

I have the utmost respect for the grizzled, gnarly Special Forces type guys who I read about in books and see in movies. I also respect anybody who serves their country. Funny thing is, those cool guys that I have respect for don't throw hissy fits on the internet.

Well, I earned it at least. I am entitled to it and it is my therapy to deal with my anger at the stupid civilian population I deal with daily.

Sorry if that offends! But chances are you will never understand because you will never be in those same situations.

Last edited:
Most bn docs are GMO, just out of school, before residency, a Captain's slot.

So they finish med school, do a GMO "rotation" then go to residency? I always assumed the "rotation" and residency was reversed.

So they finish med school, do a GMO "rotation" then go to residency? I always assumed the "rotation" and residency was reversed.

See, that's because you are both thinking and trying to make sense. You're never gonna make it in the military with an attitude like that.

Has the OP already left for Basic or what?

Wow, been busy and had no idea this thread had generated this much discussion.

First, I apologize to anyone offended by the OP; I simply meant to gather more information. About me, I truly love medicine and my residency, disregarding the admin and hoop-jumping all residents put up with. That said, I don’t really enjoy being in a hospital except for the ED and want to work in a more austere environment, especially after my time spent as a med student overseas in rural Africa and my involvement with wilderness med. I don’t have time to watch many movies and haven’t seen a war movie since “Saving Private Ryan” was in theaters.

Why enlistment? Though possibly delusional as stated elsewhere, I’m in no way arrogant or ignorant enough to believe I could lead others as an officer in a combat situation. I would rather be a fully integrated member of a team. As for having a physician in a medic role, I’m not sure what the down-side is of that (except for having one less physician in a true doctor role) especially if the physician receives paramedic/pre-hospital training. Many large cities, such as Houston and even smaller cities here in NC, have physicians that train with and are called out with SWAT teams.

Why Special Forces? As stated above, I’m interested in serving overseas, integrating into another culture, and working with them. To work with and teach them not just combat medicine but preventative “everyday” med, over and beyond the usual Special Forces training of a foreign populations such as FID, UW, etc.. It’s my understanding that in the Army, the Rangers and even Delta Force are more direct action, strike force units. Same with the Navy SEALs and Force Recon. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.) True, Air Force PJs are the combat search and rescue medic-gurus, but as stated above, I’m more interested in embedding with a population. As for CROs, see my above response about being an officer.

To prepare, I’m continuing to work hard on my daily PT, taking a tactical medicine course as one of my electives, improving my knowledge of Spanish, and planning to complete the French and Arabic Rosetta Stone courses. After all this and finishing residency, if my skills would better serve the country in a Battalion Surgeon capacity or Civil Affairs, I’m okay with that. Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!

Oh, and regarding the previous Coast Guard post: my brother is in a similar situation and had a question about joining the CG (as well as Navy, though that didn't make it as a post). His questions were my original reason for joining SDN.

Wow, been busy and had no idea this thread had generated this much discussion.

First, I apologize to anyone offended by the OP; I simply meant to gather more information. About me, I truly love medicine and my residency, disregarding the admin and hoop-jumping all residents put up with. That said, I don't really enjoy being in a hospital except for the ED and want to work in a more austere environment, especially after my time spent as a med student overseas in rural Africa and my involvement with wilderness med. I don't have time to watch many movies and haven't seen a war movie since "Saving Private Ryan" was in theaters.

Why enlistment? Though possibly delusional as stated elsewhere, I'm in no way arrogant or ignorant enough to believe I could lead others as an officer in a combat situation. I would rather be a fully integrated member of a team. As for having a physician in a medic role, I'm not sure what the down-side is of that (except for having one less physician in a true doctor role) especially if the physician receives paramedic/pre-hospital training. Many large cities, such as Houston and even smaller cities here in NC, have physicians that train with and are called out with SWAT teams.

Why Special Forces? As stated above, I'm interested in serving overseas, integrating into another culture, and working with them. To work with and teach them not just combat medicine but preventative "everyday" med, over and beyond the usual Special Forces training of a foreign populations such as FID, UW, etc.. It's my understanding that in the Army, the Rangers and even Delta Force are more direct action, strike force units. Same with the Navy SEALs and Force Recon. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) True, Air Force PJs are the combat search and rescue medic-gurus, but as stated above, I'm more interested in embedding with a population. As for CROs, see my above response about being an officer.

To prepare, I'm continuing to work hard on my daily PT, taking a tactical medicine course as one of my electives, improving my knowledge of Spanish, and planning to complete the French and Arabic Rosetta Stone courses. After all this and finishing residency, if my skills would better serve the country in a Battalion Surgeon capacity or Civil Affairs, I'm okay with that. Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!

When I worked with ODA, they always had a doc that was able to go to any school or attend any training. If you really want to do this then you need to call an Army National Guard SF unit. They will actually let you speak with a Doc in the SF. I think you will be surprised how much they participate with the teams and still maintain their medical calling. Like I said earlier, they get the best of both worlds.

My final advice to you is go for it. You seem legit and capable and dedicated... Exactly the type of things you will need. No phonies would make it far. No BS braggers would make it either since they simply like titles and want to be admired. They just dont go far except in medicine and the civilian world.

If you enlist as a 18 series, you must complete the training successfully. Otherwise you may end up in an Infantry unit... Which in my opinion is a great place to be. You will be with the best of the best either way.

In an infantry unit you can go to ranger, sniper, airborne, air assault, LRSD, Recon and many others. In fact, many infantry units see more action than special forces uints, it's just the infantry units don't get all the TV shows about them these days. That's because the holywood crowd are pretenders who have no balls to do the real stuff and get off on pretending and stealing the glory similar to the pretenders that fake their service.

BTW, infantry units are definately take the fight to the enemy. Most docs are thrilled to work with an infantry unit because it's where the most of the action is.

Either way, good luck and lastly, grab your balls, ruck up and jump in if you are serious about this. Time for debate is over.

Be decisive. If you can't see yourself going up to the recruiter in the next week and signing up and shipping in a few weeks, then I suggest that you forget about it because you either are too scared or just don't want to do it.

Last edited:
I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Judging from his odd use of slang (especially military) and choices of fixations, if I had to guess, I'd say a high school kid considering enlisting. Mix two parts smug superiority with one part bitterness and just a dash of homo-eroticism.

Last edited:
You two are like peas in a pod.

The Physician that wants to be an enlisted medic and the pretentious, pathetic tortured soul masquerading as a "hardcore" former infantryman.

To J5287.... Get ****ed buddy. Go cry in your beer and practice your thousand yard stare at the bar. Just do it away from this forum. Don't dishonor the service of the many Military Docs here who've probably seen a lot too yet don't feel the need to wail and advertise so loudly the weight of their own private crosses.

Have a Nice day.

61N

You two are like peas in a pod.

The Physician that wants to be an enlisted medic and the pretentious, pathetic tortured soul masquerading as a "hardcore" former infantryman.

To J5287.... Get ****ed buddy. Go cry in your beer and practice your thousand yard stare at the bar. Just do it away from this forum. Don't dishonor the service of the many Military Docs here who've probably seen a lot too yet don't feel the need to wail and advertise so loudly the weight of their own private crosses.

Have a Nice day.

61N
Agree - J5287... is a whack job - I loved the use of "entitled", what a Nancy.

To the OP - good luck whatever you choose - I'd really explore the deeper reasons or trying to enlist - in other words, looking for badges, titles for validation - this can be an issue.

Last edited: