Army ROTC AND HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Console46

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an ROTC cadet currently in an SMP program. I already have 6 years reserve and 2 years IRR on my contract. I am doing HPSP for veterinary school. Will my 4 years accrued by the hpsp somehow transfer into my ROTC contract, or will I have to serve 6 reserves, 4 active, and 8 IRR years? Also, if anyone knows this, after all of my years are up, and I choose to not go for the 20 years needed for army retirement, can I just choose to not sign another contract and be done with the army? How does leaving the army work? Same Recruiter gave me 3 different answers. He also said I may have to reach the rank of Major. I really don't know and just want an answer from someone who's done it before or knows the answers. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you will be eligible for HPSP if you're obligated to 6 years reserve. 1c of the contract states "I am not obligated for future service to any health institution, community, or other entity by virtue of any scholarship, grant, contract, or other agreement"

sounds like they are already on HPSP. I think that language refers to a non-army obligation. they're usually more than happy to tack years on.

Hi,
I'm an ROTC cadet currently in an SMP program. I already have 6 years reserve and 2 years IRR on my contract. I am doing HPSP for veterinary school. Will my 4 years accrued by the hpsp somehow transfer into my ROTC contract, or will I have to serve 6 reserves, 4 active, and 8 IRR years? Also, if anyone knows this, after all of my years are up, and I choose to not go for the 20 years needed for army retirement, can I just choose to not sign another contract and be done with the army? How does leaving the army work? Same Recruiter gave me 3 different answers. He also said I may have to reach the rank of Major. I really don't know and just want an answer from someone who's done it before or knows the answers. Thanks a lot.

that's a lot of questions. everyone owes 8 years, with the balance of your non AD or reserve time being IRR. if you serve 8 years in the reserves or AD you will have no IRR commitment. so that's a wash. as far as the AD/reserve combination, I would suspect you would owe the 4 active first, then the 6 reserve. getting out simply requires you submitting paperwork to do so-- for the AD side it's a "release from active duty" (REFRAD) that is dropped 6 months prior to the expiration of your ADSO. I don't know how it works with reserves. if you recruiter is useless, ask him for an HRC contact-- those are the people who know this stuff best.

good luck

--your friendly neighborhood recruiter should be handling this caveman

Hi,
I'm an ROTC cadet currently in an SMP program. I already have 6 years reserve and 2 years IRR on my contract. I am doing HPSP for veterinary school. ...
How are you an ROTC cadet in SMP and on HPSP at the same time? Or, are you still a cadet and hoping to go to veterinary school on HPSP in the future. Is your ROTC scholarship GRFD or unrestricted?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, please PM me. You seem to be mixing apples and oranges and I can explain the rules of engagement concerning the veterinary HPSP scholarship as well as you total commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Feel free to contact me as well, I am a current Army healthcare recruiter and work at Cornell. I would be glad to break down all the options you have.

Reactions: 1 users