Army PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACUpre-med

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on joining the army after PA school. Does anyone have any Army PA experience? how is the quality of life, travel oportunities, other fun opportunities (airborne, spec warfare scool), and facilities?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ACUpre-med
I'm planning on joining the army after PA school. Does anyone have any Army PA experience? how is the quality of life, travel oportunities, other fun opportunities (airborne, spec warfare scool), and facilities?

I do have some limited first hand experience with military physician assistants. The military PAs I've come in contact with doing various ADTs (Active Duty Training) at Tripler AMC (Honolulu, HI), Walter Reed AMC (DC), and Brooke AMC (San Antonio, TX) seem very happy.

I am not exactly familiar with the history of the PA profession. However, I do know that its origins can be traced back to military medics and its eventually cross over into civilian medicine at Duke University Medical Center. Therefore, I would imagine that physician assitants are well recognized and received other health care practitioners within the military. I'll admit some rather immature prejudice I initially had in regards to PAs. However, I'll chalk that up to ignorance and pettiness on my behalf. I understand what they are now and could not be happier working alongside them.

I can honestly say I enjoyed working with the military PAs during my ADTs. I learned a great deal from them and appreciate their clinical skills and experience. I think you'll be quite happy with your decision to utilize your skills within the military. good luck and welcome...until then I am counting down the days until I graduate from medical school....may 25 cannot come soon enough

Jason Park MS-IV
NSU-COM

Assignments to SF Groups as a PA are hard to come by-and generally these slots are filled with PAs that have previous SOF experience...

Are you enlisting active duty? Reserves? National Guard?

School opportunites (Airborne, Air Assault, Flight Surgeon Course, etc.) depend on the unit you are assigned to. As will travel and duty circumstances...

The Army utilizes PAs heavily-and most have considerable autonomy...by doctrine they are considered the "experts" of forward medical care...:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by themadmedic
...by doctrine they are considered the "experts" of forward medical care...:cool:

I don't exactly know what you mean by that statement. If you are implying that they lead the forward medical care team than you are in error.

The army is probably the most prolific user of PA's in the world, and also probably the most willing to allow autonomy in your work - depending on where you are of course. The draw-back to the freedom to manage patients and perform procedures is that you are expected to be able to perform at that level - competance is key.

Military PA's from what I have seen have much more freedom to perform more advanced skills but they must also have the ability to know when not to manage those patients that are either beyond their skills or their available resources - a tough call at times. Not only are they in general the most forward of provider level care, they have other responsibilities. You must perform as a special staff officer to the company, battalion or brigade. You are the trainer of the medics that fall under you. You leadership skills are of key importance to promotion. Finally, your combat arms skills are also vital to the success of your mission, as can be seen the modern battlefield is not a safe place to not know how to shoot, move, and communicate.

Dennis
Phase 2 student
Interservice Physician Assistant Program

Originally posted by JasonDO
I don't exactly know what you mean by that statement. If you are implying that they lead the forward medical care team than you are in error.

While they are still midlevel providers that fall under supervision of physicians...in many ways they do lead forward medical care...particularly in (Infantry) BN aid stations...

http://www.amsc.amedd.army.mil/pa/pa_duty.htm

Hi everyone,

Sorry Jason, but you are not correct. PA's are absolutely assigned the title of Battalion Surgeons in the Army. I am a former Army PA. I am now a Do student like you though. In either heavy or light infantry units, PA's and physicians both are assigned often together but separate their own team of combat medics, and they fill the role of co-battalion surgeons. There is no difference in the role, except that PA's get a slightly more advanced team than the doc because it is expected the doc can do more with less. But this is rarely true. Most Army PA's are former military medics or corpsmen who know how to function under pressure when rounds start comind down range. And usually these physician battalion surgeons are nothing more then FP docs who have less true trauma experience than the PA who likely saw combat medical stuff as a medic. The reality is that since Army PA's don't have to follow as rigidly the rules of having a supervising physician as their civilian counterparts, they are given much more autonomy. I hate to even use that word because in reality autonomy is used in the context of having been deprived of some degree of responsibility. Most of the high speed PA's I met in the service were all ex- SF or rangers, and they were excellent. So yes Jason, it is doctrine.

And for you that are not wanting to take on an awesome responsibility of training and mentoring the entire medical enlisted community, do not become an Army PA. I am sorry to say it, but the worst PA's I ever met in the Army were the ones who did not go through the service school. It was not that they were not good PA's, but it was that they had no idea what military medicine entailed. That is why traditionally that USUHS and IPAP soldiers are the best medical providers in the service.