Army OBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm heading for OBC this summer and was wondering what to expect. I would appreciate any information. Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the website, but can anyone tell me what the average day is really like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the day. It's been a few years for me, so my recall is not as good as some who may have gone more recently. Usually up around 5:30 or 6am for PT until 7am, then back to quarters for shower and breakfast. Classes all day until 4 or 5, then depending on day you could drill or just go home and enjoy air-conditioning and 3 HBO channels. Weekends off, a few days out in the "field" at Camp Bullis where you sleep in a tent (air-conditioned, if it is working) get up earlier, go to bed later and play in the woods.

Hope that helps,

Geo

I've got a random question. What about contact lens? A go or no go?

In the classroom or in garrison, fine; in the field they are a no-go.

I agree with all assessments. Army regulation specifically states that contact lenses are not to be worn in field environments. You can wear them in garrison, but colored contact lenses are prohibited in uniform unless they are medically indicated. If you have "visi-tint" lenses (the kind that have a light tint to help you see them in the case), don't worry about it, you'll be fine. The prohibition is on lenses that drastically change your eye color or have funky designs (e.g., your favorite football team's logo).

As for the PT schedule, I was at OBC in summer 2000, and we started PT at 4 am, 3 days a week.

I was at HPSP OBC in the Summer of 2001. It was a joke. We had PT seven times -- one of which was before the day before the PT test and they didn't want us to get hurt. We just stretched. PT started at 0600 and went for about 45 minutes.

Ed

Two more questions..First, what is the week at Camp Bullis like?
And secondly, does anyone what the Army thinks about HPSP students and lasiks?

another vacation in Texas 2001er here. everything that has been said is pretty much on the nose. just find someone with some prior military experience and you'll be fine.

camp bullis is an air conditioned romp in the hill country. it's actually pretty fun-- some land nav, some medic-type training, and weapons/vehicle familiarizations. only downside is no qualification with the m-16. :( people will complain here and there, but the FTX is cushy, almost Chairforce-like ;)

as for LASIK, there *was* a time when it was prohibited i think. it's ok now, at least it better be, as I know at three people that have had it done, lol.

Yeah Bullis is OK. Three big downsides:

Food sucks. Most meals are MREs. Second, the dump the porta crappers during the week. By the day we left they were almost ready to overflow. Third, the water is always warm and tastes funny. I found that gatorade powder made it tolerable.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
You said that we don't get a chance to qualify with the M-16...when, if ever, do we?

you don't, unless you want to go to Ranger school and become one of those crazy testosterone front lines Ranger Physician

Yep 2001 Texas vacation for me too.

Don't sweat OBC. I had a great time. The most challenging thing is filling out all the paperwork the first day.

PRK and LASIK are both a GO as long as your refractive outcome is stable, and you meet the best-corrected visual acuity standards. With LASIK and PRK this is usually not an issue unless you have an unfortunate outcome. If you are already into the HPSP program, then no big deal. If you are applying, then you will have to provide pre- and post-op medical records at the time of accession.

PRK is the only accepted procedure for special ops. I am not sure if this also applies to special ops physicians. So if you have any hint of a desire to work with the SF community, you may want to do a little more research on this.

Originally posted by armydoc
Two more questions..First, what is the week at Camp Bullis like?
And secondly, does anyone what the Army thinks about HPSP students and lasiks?

The week at Camp Bullis is fun, just don't get yourself lost and start climbing fences like one of our 2001 classmates did during land nav.

The only thing bad about OBC for me was the amount of alcohol comsumed!!! Many bad hangovers.

Originally posted by GeoLeoX
The week at Camp Bullis is fun, just don't get yourself lost and start climbing fences like one of our 2001 classmates did during land nav.

I forgot about that guy -- what a dumb a*s. " Whatever you do, don't cross the hardtop road unless you do it at the check-in point." This idiot crosses two hard top roads, climbs a barbed wired fence and ends up at the Marine ammo dump. Almost gets shot by the security guard. I wonder what he would do when told -- "don't transect the aorta" Should have thrown his butt out of the Army.

Ed

Are any of the respondents female, and if so is there much of a difference in the difficulty for them? Another girl from my school and myself are going this summer.

I'd also like to see an answer to this question...anyone????

From the guys at my school who already went, I heard that the girls are treated quite well. Looking forward to my first trip to Texas, I guess...see you in June :)

anyone know what in teh work teh student chain of command is????

Originally posted by moniagrl
anyone know what in teh work teh student chain of command is????

i think you are asking about the student chain of command. don;t worry about it-- most likely you will have enough ROTC/USMA/prior service people to volunteer to be squad leaders, platoon leaders, and class leader. if you want a little responsibility and to feel like you're contributing, offer to be a team leader for your squad leader. you'll only be responsible for 3 or 4 people that way :)

btw-- an OBC class is split into platoons comprised of 4 squads with 9-10 members each. so a platoon would be about 40 people. there are probably 5 or 6 platoons each led by a platoon leader. the class leader is the guy in charge of the entire class. each platoon is assigned a couple of officers to teach it, and information is given through your student chain of command. it works pretty well once you get the hang of it. it's nothing to worry about as even people with *no* prior military experience can get the hang of it in a few days.

". . . a few days out in the "field" at Camp Bullis where you sleep in a tent (air-conditioned, if it is working)"

AIR CONDITIONED?!?!?! Wow, OBC sure has changed since I was there!!! By the way, where do they keep you guys nowadays when you're not at Bullis?

"The only thing bad about OBC for me was the amount of alcohol consumed!!! Many bad hangovers."

Yeah, I had forgotten about those great San Antonio margaritas. AAAAAHHHHHHH.

"Food sucks. Most meals are MREs."

Oh, c'mon. The newer MREs ROCK!!!! But remember: "always avoid the ham" is timeless advice . . .

"The most challenging thing is filling out all the paperwork the first day."

The most challenging thing was staying awake during the lectures on Russian artillery.

"You said that we don't get a chance to qualify with the M-16...when, if ever, do we?"

I've been in the Army for 6 years plus OBC and have yet to fire a weapon of any kind.

"Whatever you do, don't cross the hardtop road unless you do it at the check-in point."

For the love of God, don't cross the hardtop road. And don't, during the day-long big military maneuver final training exercise, be the very last group to come straggling back to base, having missed most of your checkpoints, with only half your original personnel, singing the "Brady Bunch" theme at the top of your lungs. NOT considered good military form.

If you think OBC was fun, just wait until C-4 (but that's a topic for a whole 'nother thread . . . . )

Originally posted by Homonculus
i think you are asking about the student chain of command.....

if you want a little responsibility and to feel like you're contributing, offer to be a team leader for your squad leader. you'll only be responsible for 3 or 4 people that way....

yea that was what i was asking about. thanks. I just temd 2 type 2 fast and so all my words come out messed up and i dont notice:D :D :D

being a team leader is good advice cause i think i would like to contribute my 2 cents. I used to be a leader of Polish Girl Scouts, which is not like american scouts. It is more like Army for the young. I was in charge of first aid, and survival techniques adn I loved it. anyways I am now rambling and off topic........

Originally posted by texdrake
you don't, unless you want to go to Ranger school and become one of those crazy testosterone front lines Ranger Physician

Could you explain this to me a bit. How does one become a Ranger Physician?

Not sure exactly how. Just know that it is an option you can take after you finish residency. You can volunteer to join a kind of "special ops" that gets to do that stuff. For instance 2 of the soliders on the helicopter that rescued Jessica Lynch were physicians...at least I am told. Ask your recuiter and he should be able to steer you into that direction if it is what you want to do....crazy I say, crazy.

@texdrake:

Thanx:)

I think it would be somehting great to break the monotony for a little while. I will be sure to look into it when the time comes.

how are we graded at OBC?
for example on the OBC webpage it says:"The Field Training Exercise (FTX) is a 6-day training exercise worth 200 points toward your overall academic average"

what are the points? what do they mean? what si the overall academic average? what is it used for? and so on

Originally posted by moniagrl
how are we graded at OBC?
for example on the OBC webpage it says:"The Field Training Exercise (FTX) is a 6-day training exercise worth 200 points toward your overall academic average"

what are the points? what do they mean? what si the overall academic average? what is it used for? and so on

The grading really isn't important. The number one person in the class is the Distinguished Honor Graduate who recieves a medal -- I can't remember which one. No one cares about this stuff for residency selection, as far as I could tell.

The grading is based on academic performance in the classroom and then the field excercises. In the field you get graded on land navigation, assembling the M-16 and M-9, using a field radio correctly, battlefield first aid, and the litter obstacle course.

Ed

The distingusied honor graduate receives an Army Achievement Medal (AAM). This award will become a permanant part of your military record. Every positive thing even a small item in your record will help your chance to get promoted.

DHG's get an AAM now? Anyone know when this started?