Army HPSP full?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you everyone for the clarrification about the laptop. I did see that the Army does not pay for the laptop, but the financial person at my school told me they do so I assumed she was correct.

As for the books you are correct I will just buy new books.

Thank you everyone for your responses I really do appreciate everyone's help.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go by what your contract says and those with experience on here...not some person at your brand new school who probably has little experience dealing with military scholarships as their only class so far has had a free ride (if i remember correctly youre headed to UCF) everything i have specifically says they will lease one for you if it is required by your school but they wont purchase one.

So does anyone know how many scholarships are left to date?

Members don't see this ad :)
About having laptops at OBLC...

I recommend bringing one. And if you can, bring a travel printer. You have to do a couple of homework assignments. There is a computer lab and a library in the AMEDD building but the hours aren't the friendliest. Several people simply used the computer lab and it worked for them, though.

Also, you should try to get some sort of leadership position. It shows up on your 1059 and it's always nice to have extra bells and whistles in your file. Having a computer and a printer makes that leadership role so much easier!

My platoon communicated a lot via email, a facebook group, and cellphone text messaging... I think having access to those things in your room makes it easier to stay connected.

Also you're going to take thousands of photos just like the rest of the 500 people there. Everyone is going to load countless pictures on facebook and tag people all night. hahaha, as the vain self-absorbed person that I am, I always like to IMMEDIATELY check any photos that I've been tagged in! My roomie and I joked that we'd wake up at 3am just so we could check facebook as we ate our breakfast. Good times!

Plus you'll want to email those pictures home to your friends and family...

If you're in San Antonio for 6 weeks (45 days), you'll spend at least 12days in the field. So nearly 1/3 of the time you won't have your computer anyhow. It will be locked your dorm room.

In summary, you're not going to die if you don't have a computer at OBLC but if you can, then you should try to take it.

So does anyone know how many scholarships are left to date?

I was going through the application process for the HPSP and was offered a physical/tour of the BAMC last friday. Recruiter emailed me today and told me that he received an email yesterday stating that they have closed scholarships for the fiscal year 2010 and are not offering any more tours for this year. Bummer, he said I could apply for the 3 year scholarship beginning in october. Any one else get this info from their recruiter?

I just heard the same thing from my recruiter, no more scholarships this year can apply for a 3 year for the next fiscal year. He said that less people are getting out of the army due to the economy and this has reduced their mission goals.

I said thank you to those that posted once people explained to me that the laptop is NOT covered (post 101 @ 9:33am). I am not sure of the reason for you to post AFTER I did this about my new school, and the experience of the person at my NEW school that made an honest mistake( post 102 @ 11:10 am). Having said this I will say it again; Thank you for the clarification, and I will explain to the person at my NEW school laptop purchases are not covered, and it clearly states this in the contract that I signed.

Yes you are correct; I am going to UCF I have it in my signature.

I would go by what your contract says and those with experience on here...not some person at your brand new school who probably has little experience dealing with military scholarships as their only class so far has had a free ride (if i remember correctly youre headed to UCF) everything i have specifically says they will lease one for you if it is required by your school but they wont purchase one.

Last edited:
I said thank you to those that posted once people explained to me that the laptop is NOT covered (post 101 @ 9:33am). I am not sure of the reason for you to post AFTER I did this about my new school, and the experience of the person at my NEW school that made an honest mistake( post 102 @ 11:10 am). Having said this I will say it again; Thank you for the clarification, and I will explain to the person at my NEW school laptop purchases are not covered, and it clearly states this in the contract that I signed.

Yes you are correct; I am going to UCF I have it in my signature.

My bad, I misread your post. I was on my phone at the time so I couldnt see your signature. Simmer down

Got this email from my Army recruiter today:
"So far they have not been exhausted. We were alerted by the
Health Services Directorate yesterday, however, that we have about 50
left so we need to get your stuff done ASAP."

Have yet to hear back from my Navy recruiter...

Got this email from my Army recruiter today:
"So far they have not been exhausted. We were alerted by the
Health Services Directorate yesterday, however, that we have about 50
left so we need to get your stuff done ASAP."

Have yet to hear back from my Navy recruiter...

My recruiter said 13 (today), with 80 applications in. And that she needs my stuff by the 30th. If anything, their inconsistency is quite consistent. :laugh:

Wow, that is strange that we all have conflicting information...my recruiter told me at the physical last week that they started with 350 this year (more than last year, but 50 were reserved for MS-2's and up), and that 87 were left. I'm havng some medical problems and trying to get a PT waiver, so she is shooting for my application to be complete by May 14th and she said I'd hear from the committee by June 1.

My reruiter told me after my acceptance ealier in March, that they are now putting people on the OML. So I believe they are full for this year.

Last edited:
There are still more available. The board is still meeting the first week of May and June.

There are still more available. The board is still meeting the first week of May and June.

I was part of the may board. My recruiter said there are only 34 spots left for army hpsp!

good luck everyone!

The May/June meetings have been combined into one board meeting on June 2nd. We should hear approx. 10 days after this last meeting.