This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is exciting ... Did you do this?

For my first year, after that I switched to vocational rehab. GI bill only lasts for 36 months which usually doesn't cover all of medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I truly appreciate the feedback. I've read on the DCC website that wee will need about $1500 for uniforms and clothing. It doesn't mention anything about a clothing allowance or pay allowance where as the Amedd C&S did mention it for BOLC but it does us no justice if DCC is first, Do you have any insight on if Officers get a clothing allowance?

Like @Buckeye_913 said, you will get a one time clothing allotment but it isn't much. Most just buy the uniforms up front and will get that allotment later.

Reactions: 1 user
63E STRAP they probably had to send it to a consultant to look it over. That is probably why it is taking so long. Not always a bad sign, I have a general dentist CV that I am at about day 14 so no worries as of yet.
Have they approved your general dentist yet? I still haven’t heard anything from my recruiter

Members don't see this ad :)
For the medical HPSP it is a requirement. We do have a MAC waiver (minimum acceptance criteria) if you have a good MCAT and a letter of acceptance it is possible to get a waiver. They usually approve a few a year especially if your prior service. Or you could apply for MDSSP.

At what age do I need to become a doctor to get into the Medical Corps?

At what age do I need to become a doctor to get into the Medical Corps?

Depends on what program and what specialty. have to be in HPSP by the age of 38. If joining as a direct depends how bad the army needs you. If it is a specialty that is on the critical wartime shortage list I have seen them go up to age 60 in the reserves.

Nope, we have two dentists waiting for their CV to get approved now.
Hey, mine just got approved today. Now I’m just waiting on my commander letter. Do you know if they have a lot of slots available for the STRAP program. And is it hard for the board to select u

@Armyhealth Does HPSP cover the costs of a post-bacc?

I thought I read somewhere that it does, but I have been unable to verify.

Thank you!

Thank you!
Just thinking out loud.....why would someone without a med school acceptance get hpsp?

@Armyhealth Hello. I've recently started the application process for the Baylor GPN with a local AMEDD recruiter. Although he has been extremely helpful and responsive, he has little experience with GPN applicants and isn't able to provide much beyond general information. Additionally, the GPN mailbox doesn't seem to be monitored at all. I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions for me, if possible.

1. All things being equal, do prior service applicants have any advantage when applying?
2. What type of stats (GPA, GRE, etc) and ECs do competitive applicants usually have? The website only mentions the minimum requirements for GPA and GRE.
3. What GRE program name and/or code I should use to submit my score? I selected 0723 - US Military Dietetic Internship when I took the GRE but I don't know if this is correct.
4. How many slots are usually available every application cycle? Are all slots usually filled?

Any and all additional information you could provide would also be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
@Armyhealth question about the GI bill for HPSP students. Understand that I won't be acquiring time towards GI bill while repaying HPSP contract (correct?). How long would I have to serve in addition to my HPSP contract so that my GI bill benefits could be rolled over to my dependents (if/when that happens)

Just thinking out loud.....why would someone without a med school acceptance get hpsp?

They'll award conditional scholarships that will kick in if you get an acceptance *in the same application cycle* lol no clue why they'd give one for post-bacc... not what they're for.

Is it true that they haven’t given out the STRAP dental scholarship in the last 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 3 years. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, optometry, nurse practioner, CRNA and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and LTHET program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

I see a lot of questions about all the programs we have. I will only give you honest, researched answers!

I applied for the MDSSP for Army reserves and got OML'ed . what now?? How do I know how many people are ahead of me and IF people ahead of me are going to take or deny the scholarship?
Thanks

Finished my undergrad in 2013 with a 2.84 GPA. I retook all of the prereqs for vet school in classes I had less than a B in which brought my GPA up high enough to exceed the GPA requirement for LSU SVM, accepted an offer for the c/o 2022. Have completed 4 years of active duty as an officer in the Navy, currently SELRES. Strong GRE score. Can I do a MAC waiver for the GPA? Or am I just SOL on applying for HPSP?

Hey, mine just got approved today. Now I’m just waiting on my commander letter. Do you know if they have a lot of slots available for the STRAP program. And is it hard for the board to select u

STRAP just depends on which specialty and the need. Not sure on endo and what the needs are. I think you have a good shot though.

Thank you!

HPSP has to be applied for the specific program you are applying. We have some of our own post back programs like MPH that you can go to once selected for HPSP or other programs.

@Armyhealth Hello. I've recently started the application process for the Baylor GPN with a local AMEDD recruiter. Although he has been extremely helpful and responsive, he has little experience with GPN applicants and isn't able to provide much beyond general information. Additionally, the GPN mailbox doesn't seem to be monitored at all. I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions for me, if possible.

1. All things being equal, do prior service applicants have any advantage when applying?
2. What type of stats (GPA, GRE, etc) and ECs do competitive applicants usually have? The website only mentions the minimum requirements for GPA and GRE.
3. What GRE program name and/or code I should use to submit my score? I selected 0723 - US Military Dietetic Internship when I took the GRE but I don't know if this is correct.
4. How many slots are usually available every application cycle? Are all slots usually filled?

Any and all additional information you could provide would also be much appreciated.

Thank you.

1. Yes, all prior service applicants have an advantage to any program. GPN doesn't have very many PS applicants so it should be very helpful
2. average acceptance is around 3.5, 300-305 GRE
3. You chose the correct one, however there is a GPN reviewer in each recruiting Battalion that needs to review your transcripts and GRE. If your recruiter doesn't know who that is make sure they find out.
4. 6-10 slots a year based on need of the Army. They are all filled every year. I had one selected last year and they took 8 total and 17 people applied.

I applied for the MDSSP for Army reserves and got OML'ed . what now?? How do I know how many people are ahead of me and IF people ahead of me are going to take or deny the scholarship?
Thanks

Your recruiter can pull the numbers and see how many are on the MDSSP OML. Most likely you will be offered a spot next cycle in Aug-Oct when next year's mission opens up.

Finished my undergrad in 2013 with a 2.84 GPA. I retook all of the prereqs for vet school in classes I had less than a B in which brought my GPA up high enough to exceed the GPA requirement for LSU SVM, accepted an offer for the c/o 2022. Have completed 4 years of active duty as an officer in the Navy, currently SELRES. Strong GRE score. Can I do a MAC waiver for the GPA? Or am I just SOL on applying for HPSP?

There is no MAC waiver for the veterinary scholarship. They only allow medical students to apply with a MAC waiver. All of our other HPSP programs are so competitive they don't usually lower the acceptance standards.

That is not true, I know an OMFS that just got one. Usually it is OMFS or Perio that gets them.
Okay cool. Thank god Endo is on the “War time specialty list” . Hopefully I will get an answer real soon. Do you know when the board meets to make a decision. And this for the reserves

Okay cool. Thank god Endo is on the “War time specialty list” . Hopefully I will get an answer real soon. Do you know when the board meets to make a decision. And this for the reserves

The next board is 19-21 Jun.

@Armyhealth question about the GI bill for HPSP students. Understand that I won't be acquiring time towards GI bill while repaying HPSP contract (correct?). How long would I have to serve in addition to my HPSP contract so that my GI bill benefits could be rolled over to my dependents (if/when that happens)

That is true, you have to have 4 years on your contract to do the GI bill transfer. There is another way where you can sign a contract with the reserves and switch it that way also.

The next board is 19-21 Jun.
Omg! My program starts in July. Whenever the board selects me how long will it be until I get my first payment. Probably October lol! Whenever I get put into APMC can I drill at the VA and do I ever have to drill

HPSP has to be applied for the specific program you are applying. We have some of our own post back programs like MPH that you can go to once selected for HPSP or other programs.

Interesting, does that mean that the Army would fund an MPH while I’m in med school? Very interested in this if that’s the case

I’m a FNP (66P) with a doctorate and 10 years experience looking to join the Army Reserve. I was a bit late in the 2017 process but have submitted an application for the 2018 nurse board. I believe it is being held in August. Do you have any idea of what openings look like this year for 66p in the southeast?

I’m a FNP (66P) with a doctorate and 10 years experience looking to join the Army Reserve. I was a bit late in the 2017 process but have submitted an application for the 2018 nurse board. I believe it is being held in August. Do you have any idea of what openings look like this year for 66p in the southeast?

Openings are for the entire US, there will be 10 positions for next year.

Omg! My program starts in July. Whenever the board selects me how long will it be until I get my first payment. Probably October lol! Whenever I get put into APMC can I drill at the VA and do I ever have to drill

There are a bunch of options to get drill time, I have never heard of anyone getting credit with the VA but you would have to ask the APMC once you in process.

I am considering ROTC for the Army Cyber Unit. However, I have hypothyroidism (non autoimmune) controlled with synthroid. Would this effect my ability to be deployed? I am worried they may say I can't be deployed because I may not be near my medication.

I am considering ROTC for the Army Cyber Unit. However, I have hypothyroidism (non autoimmune) controlled with synthroid. Would this effect my ability to be deployed? I am worried they may say I can't be deployed because I may not be near my medication.

I don't know the answer to this, but if you're non-deployable, ROTC and becoming a commissioned officer is a non-starter. You should find this out before you make any significant plans.

Hello, I'm the person waiting for a scroll since the end of February. I was wondering if you're able to see progression of scroll approvals by month? For example, if this month of June they are approving scrolls from January. Thank you.

Hello, I'm the person waiting for a scroll since the end of February. I was wondering if you're able to see progression of scroll approvals by month? For example, if this month of June they are approving scrolls from January. Thank you.

We are well past February scrolls, there has to be something else going on with your packet. Maybe your recruiter submitted it late or it got kicked back? I just commissioned 5 HPSP and they were all from March scrolls.

not all medication requirements make someone non-deployable....just don't lie about when you fill out paperwork and you can see what happens

We are well past February scrolls, there has to be something else going on with your packet. Maybe your recruiter submitted it late or it got kicked back? I just commissioned 5 HPSP and they were all from March scrolls.

Thanks for your response. I am applying for 66H position for AD. Does that one have a different wait time? I asked my recruiter last week but sadly, still no word for the official scroll.

Thanks for your response. I am applying for 66H position for AD. Does that one have a different wait time? I asked my recruiter last week but sadly, still no word for the official scroll.

Scrolls are the same timeline and process for any applicant. Sorry I wish I could help but without going into your record I can't see much.

There were a lot of posts to sift through. I perused the first few pages and wanted to see if you have any links it literally for the program where you receive a stipend and incur a reserve obligation of 1 year for every 6 months that a stipend is received.

I'm a usma Captain that got out with 40% of the gi bill. I'll be starting pre-med this Fall. Just want to see what options are available. I'll be in NYC at Columbia and would be interested in drilling in NYC or NJ.

I'd love to chat offline as well. I've talked to some recruiters about Reserve positions and IMA positions.

There were a lot of posts to sift through. I perused the first few pages and wanted to see if you have any links it literally for the program where you receive a stipend and incur a reserve obligation of 1 year for every 6 months that a stipend is received.

I'm a usma Captain that got out with 40% of the gi bill. I'll be starting pre-med this Fall. Just want to see what options are available. I'll be in NYC at Columbia and would be interested in drilling in NYC or NJ.

I'd love to chat offline as well. I've talked to some recruiters about Reserve positions and IMA positions.
Mdssp, you can do it with guard or reserve once you get in med school. Stipend ~$2200 month.

Frankly i would recommend reserves over guard with one exception......if you get into a med school in a state with free tuition for guard soldiers then consider going guard because mdssp doesn’t pay tuition

Scrolls are the same timeline and process for any applicant. Sorry I wish I could help but without going into your record I can't see much.

You've been helping me a lot so I appreciate it. Could you provide some insight if I have to move my household goods and clear my unit before I go to DCC/BOLC or do I go to my new unit after I graduate (return to my old unit to clear and PCS)? I'm currently stationed overseas and have family. I wanted to know how the move affects them (if at all).

@Armyhealth

Thank you for creating this thread and being so available to answer questions! My apologies if this is a duplicate question:

Does the Army HPSP program show any preference to students attending MD vs. DO schools?

Thanks again!

So, I know the board met yesterday , do you know when they will release their decisions?

You've been helping me a lot so I appreciate it. Could you provide some insight if I have to move my household goods and clear my unit before I go to DCC/BOLC or do I go to my new unit after I graduate (return to my old unit to clear and PCS)? I'm currently stationed overseas and have family. I wanted to know how the move affects them (if at all).

You will clear and move prior to DCC and BOLC, it is a TDY in route. Once you commission they have to out process you immediately because you are no longer an enlisted member.

@Armyhealth

Thank you for creating this thread and being so available to answer questions! My apologies if this is a duplicate question:

Does the Army HPSP program show any preference to students attending MD vs. DO schools?

Thanks again!

No the army does not show any preference between MD and DO. However when you apply to our residencies our resident directors can rank you however they like, if one has a personal bias we can't really help that. I think that happens in most organizations though.

Sent you a PM!

You will clear and move prior to DCC and BOLC, it is a TDY in route. Once you commission they have to out process you immediately because you are no longer an enlisted member.

Thank you. It sounds like a speedy process after the approval. You mentioned that there was a way for you to see my status? What kind of information do you usually need and is it accessible to amedd recruiters only?

Sorry if this is a duplicate question. I'm an active duty Army officer, and have been working the past year toward med school application, pre-reqs, MCAT, etc. I just finished and submitted my applications for both MD and DO. My preference is for USUHS and to remain active duty during med school, but HPSP is the other option.

I spoke briefly with a recruiter when I started this process, but still have some questions. The main one- since I'm already a graduate of OBC, the Captains CC and ILE (I'm old), I'm tracking that I won't be required to attend BOLC again. What will happen during that summer? Will I still be activated to do something else?
Thanks!

Sorry if this is a duplicate question. I'm an active duty Army officer, and have been working the past year toward med school application, pre-reqs, MCAT, etc. I just finished and submitted my applications for both MD and DO. My preference is for USUHS and to remain active duty during med school, but HPSP is the other option.

I spoke briefly with a recruiter when I started this process, but still have some questions. The main one- since I'm already a graduate of OBC, the Captains CC and ILE (I'm old), I'm tracking that I won't be required to attend BOLC again. What will happen during that summer? Will I still be activated to do something else?
Thanks!

During summers you will just sign up for "studying" and still get paid active duty during the summer. Just be aware they may have you do just the second phase of BOLC (4 weeks) if your not a medical officer.