This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Armyhealth, thank you being available to answer questions. Would you happen to know when the next selection board for direct commissioning will convene? And on average, do you know how long the process take for entering the military for direct commission, from start to finish? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Armyhealth, thank you being available to answer questions. Would you happen to know when the next selection board for direct commissioning will convene? And on average, do you know how long the process take for entering the military for direct commission, from start to finish? Thanks in advance!

The next one is late October but we have one almost every month. Average process time from start to finish is about 90-120 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How soon after the review board do they tend to release decisions? Thanks!

It is usually about a week after the board date. Some are a little slower depending on the size of the board, for instance the Vet and dental HPSP board takes a little longer.

I have a friend that really wants to become a Nurse in the Army but already has a B.S. degree in Biology. Of course she wants to go straight Commissioned but that could lead her into a different job field after the completion of OCS training. After reading your blogs I noticed that you mentioned there was a program that could allow her go back and finish another degree, get students loan repaid and get direct Commissioned to the career field of choice? I just would like to know your suggestion, because the recruiters here are giving her the run around.

What is the mental health records review like for prior service? Does it differ by branch?

It is the same for every branch. Depends on if you are going through MEPS or MTF (military treatment facility), if it is MEPS they can really only go by what you write on the form and copies you give them in your medical records. If you go through a MTF they may be able to pull your records directly from AHLTA depending where and when you served.

I have a friend that really wants to become a Nurse in the Army but already has a B.S. degree in Biology. Of course she wants to go straight Commissioned but that could lead her into a different job field after the completion of OCS training. After reading your blogs I noticed that you mentioned there was a program that could allow her go back and finish another degree, get students loan repaid and get direct Commissioned to the career field of choice? I just would like to know your suggestion, because the recruiters here are giving her the run around.

There is two options she may qualify for, one is AECP (Army Enlisted Commissioning Program). That one you have to be in the Army already to join, so reserves, national guard or active. Then you find a school that meets the Army's requirements for nursing school and enroll and the Army will cover tuition and pay them while attending nursing school for two years to finish a BSN. The other option is join ROTC with a nursing degree contract. They would have to call around to the different ROTC's and find a school that will enroll them with that option.

It is the same for every branch. Depends on if you are going through MEPS or MTF (military treatment facility), if it is MEPS they can really only go by what you write on the form and copies you give them in your medical records. If you go through a MTF they may be able to pull your records directly from AHLTA depending where and when you served.

I've been treated @ an MTF for the last ~4 years on a joint base. I figure they'd probably be able to pull the entire thing. I'm not sure if I'd be eligible to commission due to treatment history, but I definitely haven't met any criteria to be med boarded or discharged from AD.

I've been treated @ an MTF for the last ~4 years on a joint base. I figure they'd probably be able to pull the entire thing. I'm not sure if I'd be eligible to commission due to treatment history, but I definitely haven't met any criteria to be med boarded or discharged from AD.

Hmmm...I would go ahead and get a commissioning physical done and see what the doc says. I would be surprised if you were not qualified since you are already serving but it does happen sometimes.

Hello AH,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I will be applying to PA schools this year, and I have a question regarding waivers for anxiety. I am a shy person and have trouble initiating conversation with people in certain social settings (i.e. making new friends at a bar). I have never had a history of anxiety, and have never taken medication for it. However, this year I made the mistake of seeing a therapist for my shyness.

I convinced my therapist that I had social anxiety (I was reading the internet too much) in spite of her disbelief. She ended up diagnosing me with social anxiety. I saw the therapist for nine months.

What is the likelihood of the Army giving me a waiver for social anxiety? Is there any way that I can demonstrate that I do not actually have social anxiety? Do you know if any other branches of the military are a little less relunctant to grant waivers to people who have seen a therapist for less than a year?

I'm still interested in military programs, but had a loved one tell me that most of them require time repaid for residency.

I was under the impression from speaking with recruiters that 4 years of school = 4 years of service, which is reasonable. However, if that were to be 4 years of school + 5 years of surgical residency = 9 years of service, that's a much, much larger commitment. Am I incorrect here?

I'm still interested in military programs, but had a loved one tell me that most of them require time repaid for residency.

I was under the impression from speaking with recruiters that 4 years of school = 4 years of service, which is reasonable. However, if that were to be 4 years of school + 5 years of surgical residency = 9 years of service, that's a much, much larger commitment. Am I incorrect here?
(usually) with residency they are net neutral. you pay back a year and owe a new year at the same time. So in your example, you are correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
(usually) with residency they are net neutral. you pay back a year and owe a new year at the same time. So in your example, you are correct.

I don't want jack the reply, but would the possibility of doing GMO before residency (I know that there are no guarantees of doing GMO before residency) eliminate any extra years of payback?

I don't want jack the reply, but would the possibility of doing GMO before residency (I know that there are no guarantees of doing GMO before residency) forego any extra years of payback?
yes. You could pay back your service obligation with GMO years, get out, and then do a civilian residency.

yes. You could pay back your service obligation with GMO years, get out, and then do a civilian residency.

Let me ask one more question regarding this subject. If I do not get to do GMO, will my residency reduce the number of years of reserve duty to which I have to commit? In other words, rather than doing 4 years AD + 4 years of reserves if I do GMO, would I be credited with 7 years of AD and only be required 1 year of reserve duty if I do not (considering that I do a 3 year military/civilian residency rather than GMO)?

Let me ask one more question regarding this subject. If I do not get to do GMO, will my residency reduce the number of years of reserve duty to which I have to commit? In other words, rather than doing 4 years AD + 4 years of reserves if I do GMO, would I be credited with 7 years of AD and only be required 1 year of reserve duty if I do not (considering that I do a 3 year military/civilian residency rather than GMO)?
I dunno. most people view GMO years as less desirable so I doubt you'd have any trouble doing getting to do as much GMO stuff as your heart desires.

Hello AH,

I will be applying to PA schools this year, and I have a question regarding waivers for anxiety. I am a shy person and have trouble initiating conversation with people in certain social settings (i.e. making new friends at a bar). I have never had a history of anxiety, and have never taken medication for it. However, this year I made the mistake of seeing a therapist for my shyness.

I convinced my therapist that I had social anxiety (I was reading the internet too much) in spite of her disbelief. She ended up diagnosing me with social anxiety. I saw the therapist for nine months.

What is the likelihood of the Army giving me a waiver for social anxiety? Is there any way that I can demonstrate that I do not actually have social anxiety? Do you know if any other branches of the military are a little less reluctant to grant waivers to people who have seen a therapist for less than a year?

I figured I'd chime in on this having gone through the waiver experience myself. Here's the deal-- I'm not a recruiter, so this is just my two cents; I've gone through it but I'm no expert. Your first step will be MEPS/DoDMERB. You will be given a monster form you have to fill out of YES and NO boxes. This is a little mantra that goes, NO- Numerous Opportunities, YES- Your enlistments stops. Read the form carefully and don't volunteer information they don't ask for. DOD is having you fill that out as a CYA on their part. Read the questions carefully--- you may find your box that you thought you would have to check isn't there! I was concerned about a High School ADHD diagnosis and medication, but guess what? Navy doesn't know because they never asked. Now I am not saying lie. That's a bad way to start your career BUT it sounds like you dont have an issue so dont give the bureaucracy a reason to think you do. There is this rumor that goes around that DoD does a big check on everyones insurance history. I am quite certain that that is a myth, but feel free to correct me. Can you imagine how expensive that would be?

Now, Medical is actually only PART one. Since all officers (and I think staff) are required SECRET clearances, you may have to fess up when it comes time to filling that out. If THEY ask . If they do, for the love of God don't be less than truthful. That is a real investigation and with all these traitors coming out and leaking intel, the pressure is on for these investigation teams. They however, are a bit more case by case. If it is an issue you will have a chance to talk it out with your investigator and as long as you don't have any other issues, you should be good to go. Again, you may want to be prepared with documentation and some character witnesses if you have a murky past.

Finally, worst case scenario-- you have to check the box YES. Provide as much documentation as possible. See if that therapist could write you off as a misdiagnosis or something. In my experience, most non-government health care providers are very supportive of people trying to serve. Submit that and hope they don't hit you on it. If they do, still not the end of the world. Go see if you can find an Army doctor to recommend you for a waiver.

Lastly, understand in the unlikely event you are disqualified that there are other ways over serving. In many ways there are BETTER ways of serving.

I hope that gives you some confidence, good luck.

I figured I'd chime in on this having gone through the waiver experience myself. Here's the deal-- I'm not a recruiter, so this is just my two cents; I've gone through it but I'm no expert. Your first step will be MEPS/DoDMERB. You will be given a monster form you have to fill out of YES and NO boxes. This is a little mantra that goes, NO- Numerous Opportunities, YES- Your enlistments stops. Read the form carefully and don't volunteer information they don't ask for. DOD is having you fill that out as a CYA on their part. Read the questions carefully--- you may find your box that you thought you would have to check isn't there! I was concerned about a High School ADHD diagnosis and medication, but guess what? Navy doesn't know because they never asked. Now I am not saying lie. That's a bad way to start your career BUT it sounds like you dont have an issue so dont give the bureaucracy a reason to think you do. There is this rumor that goes around that DoD does a big check on everyones insurance history. I am quite certain that that is a myth, but feel free to correct me. Can you imagine how expensive that would be?

Now, Medical is actually only PART one. Since all officers (and I think staff) are required SECRET clearances, you may have to fess up when it comes time to filling that out. If THEY ask . If they do, for the love of God don't be less than truthful. That is a real investigation and with all these traitors coming out and leaking intel, the pressure is on for these investigation teams. They however, are a bit more case by case. If it is an issue you will have a chance to talk it out with your investigator and as long as you don't have any other issues, you should be good to go. Again, you may want to be prepared with documentation and some character witnesses if you have a murky past.

Finally, worst case scenario-- you have to check the box YES. Provide as much documentation as possible. See if that therapist could write you off as a misdiagnosis or something. In my experience, most non-government health care providers are very supportive of people trying to serve. Submit that and hope they don't hit you on it. If they do, still not the end of the world. Go see if you can find an Army doctor to recommend you for a waiver.

Lastly, understand in the unlikely event you are disqualified that there are other ways over serving. In many ways there are BETTER ways of serving.

I hope that gives you some confidence, good luck.

Hello Billings,

Thanks for your response! I am trying to see if I can find any MEPS/DODMERB forms online, but I can only find a two page form which does not ask about any psychological issues besides substance abuse (and treatment). Do you have any links to the forms that you mentioned so that I can see what kind of questions I will be asked? The few recruiters I have asked will not talk to me until I receive an admission from a medical/PA program so I am not sure if I will be able to get help from them.

The reason I would like to see the kind of questions on the form before I am accepted is because the only reason that I would even pursue an MD/DO school is if I have a chance of applying for HPSP. I do not want to take another year of prereq's/study for the MCAT if I am in no way eligible for HPSP since I will *most likely* decide to pursue PA. I can always just talk to a recruiter once I get accepted into a PA program if that is the case. Furthermore, I can spend the next year making money/volunteering while I await my PA applications as a civilian instead. So do you know if those forms are available (in full) anywhere online, or would I have to wait until MEPS?

Hello AH,

What is the likelihood of the Army giving me a waiver for social anxiety? Is there any way that I can demonstrate that I do not actually have social anxiety? Do you know if any other branches of the military are a little less relunctant to grant waivers to people who have seen a therapist for less than a year?

You will need a clearance letter and a history of the visits but since you didn't take any medication I think you have a good shot. All up to the doctor who you will see though.

I am trying to see if I can find any MEPS/DODMERB forms online, but I can only find a two page form which does not ask about any psychological issues besides substance abuse (and treatment). Do you have any links to the forms that you mentioned so that I can see what kind of questions I will be asked?

DoDMERB uses the DD Form 2492 available on apd.army.mil. I have no idea what MEPS uses. The DD Form 2492 is open for access without a CAC. From the APD.army.mil website follow this path - Forms > DoD Forms > DoD Forms > Forms > DD Forms (left side of page) > DD Form 2000-2499. Any yes answers require additional information in the remarks section. Some yes answers trigger another questionaire. For example, a previous orthopedic surgery triggers the orthopedic questionaire. Questions 22 and 23 are regarding mental health/psychological issues.

This link might work - http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/forms/dd/dd2492.pdf

There is two options she may qualify for, one is AECP (Army Enlisted Commissioning Program). That one you have to be in the Army already to join, so reserves, national guard or active. Then you find a school that meets the Army's requirements for nursing school and enroll and the Army will cover tuition and pay them while attending nursing school for two years to finish a BSN. The other option is join ROTC with a nursing degree contract. They would have to call around to the different ROTC's and find a school that will enroll them with that option.

Or she could try for the APAP program and become a physician assistant instead of a nurse.

@Armyhealth I want to apply to Uniformed Services University for next application cycle but I am worried I wouldn't be accepted due to pre existing condition of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, any insight on this?

@Armyhealth I want to apply to Uniformed Services University for next application cycle but I am worried I wouldn't be accepted due to pre existing condition of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, any insight on this?

In the reg it says active, subacute or chronic arthritis. Sounds like you should be good, medical conditions are really hard to predict what is going to happen but according to the regulation I think you have a good shot.

Are there any available spots left for 72d or 73a? I am a senior this year and was planning on going to grad school but was thinking it would be nice to get some experience under the belt and revisit grad school in a few years. Are seniors in their final semesters considered or does the bachelors degree have to be entirely completed? In an ideal world I would be able to start my army career after graduation however, I’m not sure if this is even possible.

Armyhealth - thank you for posting all those specialties the Army is looking for. I saw at least three of my top dream jobs and 4 others that I am interested in on that list. I am seeking out the Navy, but no matter what I want to serve my country and I know we are all on the same team. I may very well end up in another branch, but I'm also a USMC brat so the Marine blood runs through my veins. I am trying to stay close to home (;

Are there any available spots left for 72d or 73a? I am a senior this year and was planning on going to grad school but was thinking it would be nice to get some experience under the belt and revisit grad school in a few years. Are seniors in their final semesters considered or does the bachelors degree have to be entirely completed? In an ideal world I would be able to start my army career after graduation however, I’m not sure if this is even possible.

Both those positions are boarded in October, 72D is a good one because you only need a bachelors to apply, usually 10-15 72D active slots a year. They do prefer a Masters though. 73A you have to be a clinical Social Worker so you have to finish your internship as well as your masters before you can apply as a direct 73A.

Hi Armyhealth, thank you so much for all this information. I am interested in 73A and plan to obtain my LCSW next January. How many slots per year are typically open? Also, does it work against me that I did not complete my licensure through SWIP? I have 4 years of experience under my belt right now, 5 when I will be applying. Will I have to wait to apply for the October board as an LCSW?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Armyhealth, thank you so much for all this information. I am interested in 73A and plan to obtain my LCSW next January. How many slots per year are typically open? Also, does it work against me that I did not complete my licensure through SWIP? I have 4 years of experience under my belt right now, 5 when I will be applying. Will I have to wait to apply for the October board as an LCSW?

Thank you in advance!

As long as you have your LCSW then you meet the requirement. I am not sure how the board views internship vs hours to be honest. I am guessing that is up to the experience and opinions of the board members. The board for the reserves is in October and it is a once a year board so you would have to wait for it (unless it doesn't feel in that October board.) The Army typically takes 10-15 a year. The active duty board is in February they are taking 4 this year the number is usually pretty close to that.

I am curious about the ROTC-HPSP scholarship for pharmacy. I have been told previously that I need to be in ROTC to apply for the HPSP-pharmD scholarship but I have also been told by others that I could just apply for the HPSP part of the ROTC-HPSP collaborative program and never have to join ROTC. Also no one seems to know if its already been filled up for the class of 2021. Im avoiding dropping names but the people I talked to were other healthcare recruiters and ROTC recruiters..I assume this isn't a very well known program. I'm trying to avoid doing ROTC but I've already started pharmacy school (class of 2021) and I'm enlisted in the NCARNG. Could you get me some definite answers on what I need to do to apply for this program and if its available

I am curious about the ROTC-HPSP scholarship for pharmacy. I have been told previously that I need to be in ROTC to apply for the HPSP-pharmD scholarship but I have also been told by others that I could just apply for the HPSP part of the ROTC-HPSP collaborative program and never have to join ROTC. Also no one seems to know if its already been filled up for the class of 2021. Im avoiding dropping names but the people I talked to were other healthcare recruiters and ROTC recruiters..I assume this isn't a very well known program. I'm trying to avoid doing ROTC but I've already started pharmacy school (class of 2021) and I'm enlisted in the NCARNG. Could you get me some definite answers on what I need to do to apply for this program and if its available

It is not a well advertised program, you do have to sign up for this through your ROTC. It is a six year program so you have to sign up while still in pre pharm in the ROTC with a specific six year contract that says PHARMACY in the contract (that part is very important.) If your ROTC is not familiar try calling other ROTC programs until you find someone that has done one and then have them call your ROTC.

Does the Army offer a reserve program for payback purposes? If so, is it 2 for 1, and if so, what's the minimum amount of time you'd have to do?

Yes, but it only pays you the stipend instead of tuition. Only medical and dental students (MDSSP) are eligible for it also. It is a two for one contract with a minimum of 2 years.

Yes, but it only pays you the stipend instead of tuition. Only medical and dental students (MDSSP) are eligible for it also. It is a two for one contract with a minimum of 2 years.
I'm applying for medical school this cycle. I'm still active duty right now. If accepted, I'd separate right before school starts. Is the process any different for current military members? Also, just to clarify, what is the stipend amount? And is the minimum time I have to sign up for 1yr stipend/2 years service or 2 years stipend/4 years service?

I'm applying for medical school this cycle. I'm still active duty right now. If accepted, I'd separate right before school starts. Is the process any different for current military members? Also, just to clarify, what is the stipend amount? And is the minimum time I have to sign up for 1yr stipend/2 years service or 2 years stipend/4 years service?
mdssp stiped is ~2100/month right now paid biweekly, you still get paid for drill if you go.

stipend repayment is 2/1 with payback starting after residency, minimum commission is 6/2. So if you commissioned as an ms1 and cancelled the mdssp after only 1 yr, you would still be in and drilling for a total of 9 yrs to get you 2 past residency. if you commissioned and never took mdssp, you could be in IRR before you got out of residency and were deployable

mdssp stiped is ~2100/month right now paid biweekly, you still get paid for drill if you go.

stipend repayment is 2/1 with payback starting after residency, minimum commission is 6/2. So if you commissioned as an ms1 and cancelled the mdssp after only 1 yr, you would still be in and drilling for a total of 9 yrs to get you 2 past residency. if you commissioned and never took mdssp, you could be in IRR before you got out of residency and were deployable

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 18 months and have been very successful. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, nurse practioner and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and CRNA program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

I see a lot of questions about all the programs we have. I will only give you honest, researched answers!

I'm going to enlist in the Army.

I've been to MEPS. Passed my physical and taken the ASVAB. Guaranteed E3 with all my college credits.

AFQT 82%

GT 116 and ST 116

There was a issue regarding my custody paperwork that will be resolved at the end of this month. I haven't signed anything yet.

I'm currently a LPN with a associates degree.

The recruiter said I could go 68c as E4 with no AIT, but I would have to sign a 6 year contract. No bonus. Not what I want.

Any advice or suggestions

I want 31k. When will it be available?

I've been to MEPS. Passed my physical and taken the ASVAB. Guaranteed E3 with all my college credits.

AFQT 82%

GT 116 and ST 116

There was a issue regarding my custody paperwork that will be resolved at the end of this month. I haven't signed anything yet.

The recruiter said I could go 68c as E4 with no AIT, but I would have to sign a 6 year contract. No bonus. Not what I want.

Any advice or suggestions?

AFQT 82%

GT 116 and ST 116

Any advice or suggestions

This is a question for a normal recruiter, I am a healthcare recruiter. I only work with those applying for officer positions. However I would look at the AECP program, it is a bridge program to take you from your LPN to your RN all paid by the Army. Gets you your BSN and 2LT, private message me if you have any questions.

Hello, I graduate with my Masters in healthcare administration in May 2019.

I am wondering when I should begin meeting with an AMEDD recruiter and start getting things started.

I currently have:
3.0 GPA
GRE score of 310
Member of NAHQ (National association for healthcare quality) *working on my Certified Professional in healthcare quality)
Member of HCAA (Health Care Adminstrator Association)

What suggestions or recommendations do you have for me to be even more competitive? I know health care administration is a very competitive program and I would like to do my best for my first application round.

I would start working with a recruiter in the next couple of months. 70B is competitive but as long as you make the October board deadline you should have a good shot. Sound
Hello, I graduate with my Masters in healthcare administration in May 2019.

I am wondering when I should begin meeting with an AMEDD recruiter and start getting things started.

I currently have:
3.0 GPA
GRE score of 310
Member of NAHQ (National association for healthcare quality) *working on my Certified Professional in healthcare quality)
Member of HCAA (Health Care Adminstrator Association)

What suggestions or recommendations do you have for me to be even more competitive? I know health care administration is a very competitive program and I would like to do my best for my first application round.

I would start working on the packet by July 1st. You are already in the window where you can get everything done and apply. The qualifying degree is a bachelors so you are already qualified as long as your undergrad GPA is over a 3.0. The deadline is late November or early October for when they open the new mission. Not too much you can do now for competiveness, good letters of recommendations will be key.

Hello, I am a social work student and would like to be in the military at some capacity as a clinical social worker. I plan on coming in with licensure at the masters degree level. I went to navy boot camp a few years ago and got sent home for having "foot drop"(temporary medical condition) and got a re enlistment code that allows me to re enlist after 6 months and a waiver. I should also mentions my discharge reason was "fraudulent entry". I faced no punishment besides going home early and embarrassed.

Since I have gotten back, I had the appropriate test done and revealed no internal neurological conditions despite having foot drop 2 times. However, I had back surgery-no hardware just bone removed that was causing nerve pressure and the foot drop. I also had Labrum repair, ulnar nerve transition, and carpal tunnel surgery. AAAANNND another rhino plasty to fix my nose for the second time. If I apply and am in fantastic shape do I have a chance of getting waivers for surgeries? No hardware from any of them.

I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 3 years. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, optometry, nurse practioner, CRNA and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and LTHET program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

I see a lot of questions about all the programs we have. I will only give you honest, researched answers!

New Hi ARMYHEALTH, great to have you. I'm interested in Dental and would really like to know A DETAILED TIMELINE of everything that needs to be submitted for HPSP. Also, what's the ratio for women/men? Is it common for women pursue this HPSP?

Thank you!

Hello, I am a social work student and would like to be in the military at some capacity as a clinical social worker. I plan on coming in with licensure at the masters degree level. I went to navy boot camp a few years ago and got sent home for having "foot drop"(temporary medical condition) and got a re enlistment code that allows me to re enlist after 6 months and a waiver. I should also mentions my discharge reason was "fraudulent entry". I faced no punishment besides going home early and embarrassed.

Since I have gotten back, I had the appropriate test done and revealed no internal neurological conditions despite having foot drop 2 times. However, I had back surgery-no hardware just bone removed that was causing nerve pressure and the foot drop. I also had Labrum repair, ulnar nerve transition, and carpal tunnel surgery. AAAANNND another rhino plasty to fix my nose for the second time. If I apply and am in fantastic shape do I have a chance of getting waivers for surgeries? No hardware from any of them.
Did you lie about the foot drop? Why fraudulent entry?

I'm interested in military medicine. Due to having VA benefits to fund medical school, it would be unwise to use the HPSP program. The navy has a program (HSCP) that would be more appealing, becasue it counts the years in medical school toward retirement, pays the student as an active duty E6 with all the associated perks, but its the navy :vomit:. Is there anything like that in the works for the army? If not, what is the direct accessions process like for a physician?

Thank you.

“but its the navy :vomit:
LOL

Hello, I’m interested in the MSW program. What would make me
Competitive and increase my chances of acceptance?

I am currenlty working as a Army Healthcare Recruiter. I have been doing so about 3 years. So far I have had HPSP in medical, dental, optometry, nurse practioner, CRNA and veterinary programs. I also have had someone accepted into the Masters in Social Work, GPN program at Baylor and LTHET program all very competitive programs to get in. I started this thread to answer questions to give you up to date information from current Army Medical Department programs.

Hello! I spoke with an AMEDD recruiter who told me I could apply for the msw program, how can I increase my chances of selection to be competitive? How many people apply and how many spots are available, normally? Is it easier to go guard or reserves and then try to go active or ANG?

Hello! I spoke with an AMEDD recruiter who told me I could apply for the msw program, how can I increase my chances of selection to be competitive? How many people apply and how many spots are available, normally? Is it easier to go guard or reserves and then try to go active or ANG?

MSW program is usually 22 slots a year, most of the selectees are prior service in some way. They also look for leadership experience, work experience, GPA, GRE score.