Are you planning to specialize (PGY2)? Which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janeno

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many pharmacy residents plan to pursue PGY2? Which one specialty residency are you thinking about and why?

I am still in pharmacy school but I know I would like to complete a residency and eventually specialize. Just wanted to see what everyone else is planning to do and why...

Members don't see this ad.

I've early committed for a PGY-2 in Critical Care next year. I'm very excited!

I'm still in school as well, I'm trying to not get too far ahead of myself but I think I'd like to go into ID

Members don't see this ad :)
ID is looking pretty awesome to me now too...constantly evolving and always an important aspect of pt care:D

I'm still a P2, i really think I want to do a residency...but the cost of 2 extra years is equal to that of my whole education up to that point. its definitely a 6 figure decision.

I'm doing a PGY-2 in geriatrics next year. I'm interested in AD and PD, plus I like having the flexibility to practice in acute, long term or ambulatory care.

I'm doing a PGY-2 in geriatrics next year. I'm interested in AD and PD, plus I like having the flexibility to practice in acute, long term or ambulatory care.

Can I ask why you're doing a PGY-2 in geriatrics instead of just getting the certificate of aging studies?

The money will always be there after the residency.

I don't know if you would want to lay out such a broad blanket statement.

There are several threads devoted to debating that very topic (as you well know :) )

But re: the topic at hand - that's the golden question for me - it kinda determines how I rank my residencies... sigh.

Can I ask why you're doing a PGY-2 in geriatrics instead of just getting the certificate of aging studies?

Sure. I went to Butler, and they don't offer a combined PharmD/Certificate in Aging Studies. I didn't know I wanted to specialize in geriatrics when I was in pharmacy school or even when I started my PGY-1 residency. I really enjoy learning as a resident and think I can gain a lot from PGY-2 training. The program at my hospital offers rotations in everything from geropsych to HBPC and we attend weekly didactic lectures w/the geriatricians, geriatric fellows, etc. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life, so I'm willing to spend a year learning more about the geriatric population in addition to honing research and precepting skills.

There should be a PGY-2 for obesity.

Seriously - if you want to funkify kinetics, that's a sure-fire way.

Plus we could get it sponsored by McD's. Or Subway. Depending if you want to take a glass-half-full/half-empty approach to it.

I still stand by my statement, and by that I meant that a pharmacist's salary will always be there waiting for a resident after a residency. That's not debatable.

Everything is debatable on the interweb :smuggrin:

I agree with you though, plus when you go from paying tuition to actually making money, you'll feel like you're rich anyways :D

There should be a PGY-2 for obesity.

Seriously - if you want to funkify kinetics, that's a sure-fire way.

Plus we could get it sponsored by McD's. Or Subway. Depending if you want to take a glass-half-full/half-empty approach to it.

Word.

I still stand by my statement, and by that I meant that a pharmacist's salary will always be there waiting for a resident after a residency. That's not debatable.

All about opportunity cost though...

So let's say it's $35,000 stipend for residency vs $100,000 salaried position.

$65,000 gross difference X 30% income tax = $45,500.

Now if they invested that into scratch off lotto tickets and hit it big, we're talking like $20 million! vs $35k! That's like, a gazillion opportunity cost! :soexcited: :luck: