PGY2 IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OliviaJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on PGY2 in IM? I’m considering applying and PPSed, but I’m swayed because everyone keeps saying it’s another year of the same thing. And for me personally, I believe it would be a tougher year as I am now at a community hospital for PGY1 and most IM residencies I’m looking at are at AMCs.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any thoughts on PGY2 in IM? I’m considering applying and PPSed, but I’m swayed because everyone keeps saying it’s another year of the same thing. And for me personally, I believe it would be a tougher year as I am now at a community hospital for PGY1 and most IM residencies I’m looking at are at AMCs.

Thanks in advance!
Depends. Do you want to work at a large academic medical center or teach? Then a PGY2 will help you get those jobs. If not, PGY1 is fine. All our medicine pharmacists only have a PGY1 (at a VA), though I wasn't even called for an interview at an academic medical center probably due to not having PGY2, despite having years of medicine experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is PGY2 IM a thing lol? How different is the learning and work from PGY1 in a hospital?

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users