Are we being robbed as hospitalists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Idk, seems a bit harder to get a level 3 MDM inpatient from my perspective. Previously simply reviewing old records and summarizing or independently interpreting a study would pretty much get you there, now have to do that plus be on a high risk medication or have a worsening condition / threat to life, etc

Members don't see this ad.

Idk, seems a bit harder to get a level 3 MDM inpatient from my perspective. Previously simply reviewing old records and summarizing or independently interpreting a study would pretty much get you there, now have to do that plus be on a high risk medication or have a worsening condition / threat to life, etc
If they are getting admitted, don't they generally have a threat to life?

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmmm. That recruiter makes me think I am being robbed. Lol

Hello Dr. XXXXX,

I hope this email finds you in good health. I am writing to inform you of a new outpatient Internal Medicine opportunity that has recently become available in Fort Worth, Texas. I thought you might be interested in learning more about this opportunity. Below are a few details.

Opportunity Highlights

· 100% outpatient + mostly adult/geriatric patient population

· Value-based care model with an excellent patient panel

• Income potential up to $800,000 or more
  • Physician-owned and led organization
  • Incredible freedom to practice how you want
  • Ability to ramp up easily
  • Full benefits package

Members don't see this ad :)

Hello Dr. XXXXX,

I hope this email finds you in good health. I am writing to inform you of a new outpatient Internal Medicine opportunity that has recently become available in Fort Worth, Texas. I thought you might be interested in learning more about this opportunity. Below are a few details.

Opportunity Highlights

• Full benefits package
Lol income potential to $800k?

How are we getting to that number as a PCP? Seeing 70 patients a day? Injecting Botox into anyone that comes in the door? Selling your own brand of herbs and supplements? Insurance fraud?

How are we getting to that number as a PCP? Seeing 70 patients a day? Injecting Botox into anyone that comes in the door? Selling your own brand of herbs and supplements? Insurance fraud?
There is an interventional cardiologist in my town that see 70-80 patients a day in his clinic with his PA and then round on his patient very late in the hospital. I was told by someone who is close to him that he makes 1+mil.

Looks like it’s a value based model. I suspect one of the old timers amassed a huge patient panel and is getting tons of insurance money for metrics. That doesn’t mean whoever joins will sniff even half of that though.

Reactions: 2 users

Hello Dr. XXXXX,

Opportunity Highlights

• Full benefits package
Doubt it would be possible as a PCP only taking insurance only to make that with E&M billing alone. With E&M alone as a PCP, even if most of your patients had well-paying commercial insurance, to hit $800k after expenses you would probably have to work nearly all 365 days of the year and work 12-14 hours on each day seeing 30-40 patients.

Maybe more doable if you had an established panel of mainly ultra-wealthy patients paying top dollar in cash for concierge care, or if you are a partner and owner in the practice and bringing in revenue from ancillary services on top of your clinical income.

There is an interventional cardiologist in my town that see 70-80 patients a day in his clinic with his PA and then round on his patient very late in the hospital. I was told by someone who is close to him that he makes 1+mil.
That's all the cardiologist does.
Depends what matters in one's life. You can't have family, relationships, hobbies, etc working that schedule.