Are these DAT scores good enough for POD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgfuad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AA = 19
TS = 20
PAT = 20

bio = 19
o chem = 21
g chem = 21
reading = 21
math = 15 (dont laugh)
Pat = 20

My overall gpa at CU Boulder is 3.55
Science gpa is probally about 3.4-3.6 (i have not calculated it yet), but my stupid sociology classes are where i get the b's.

I have a pretty good background with involvement with my school and i coach a youth soccer team.

Im I a canidate? or what.

Im also very interested in dentistry (more so than POD) but i have shadowed a Podiatrist and it was very interesting. Whats the pros and cons of pod compared to dentistry? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

letsgfuad said:
AA = 19
TS = 20
PAT = 20

bio = 19
o chem = 21
g chem = 21
reading = 21
math = 15 (dont laugh)
Pat = 20

Science gpa is probally about 3.4-3.6 (i have not calculated it yet), but my stupid sociology classes are where i get the b's.

I have a pretty good background with involvement with my school and i coach a youth soccer team.

Im also very interested in dentistry (more so than POD) but i have shadowed a Podiatrist and it was very interesting. Whats the pros and cons of pod compared to dentistry? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More than likely you will get into both Dental and Pod schools with your DAT and GPA. If you are "more so interested in Dentistry than POD" you will probably go that route once you have your choice.

doclm said:
More than likely you will get into both Dental and Pod schools with your DAT and GPA. If you are "more so interested in Dentistry than POD" you will probably go that route once you have your choice.

Don't Pod Schools look down on you though if you applied to other professional schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
letsgfuad said:
AA = 19
TS = 20
PAT = 20

bio = 19
o chem = 21
g chem = 21
reading = 21
math = 15 (dont laugh)
Pat = 20

Apply to dental school, not podiatry school.

Cheetos said:
Don't Pod Schools look down on you though if you applied to other professional schools?

If they knew, I think they might look down upon a person. However, I really don't think they will be able to tell. So, many people apply to Podiatry schools and apply to other programs as well. Scholl asked me have you applyed to any other programs besides Podiatry, I told them that I initially did apply to a couple Osteopathic Programs the year before and only DMU this year. However, I didn't pursue the DO any further, because I decided that DPM was the best choice for me. The only DO school that I was going to go to was DMU, other than that I would much rather be a DPM surgeon than go to a lower tier DO school like LECOM where I would be placed in disadvantaged medical communities across the U.S. After I learned more about Podiatry, the better I felt about making that decision.

If you had previously applyed to another program and made your decision that becoming a POD was the right choice for you, DPM admissions wouldn't hold a grudge on you.

whiskers said:
Get an MBA and RUN the healthcare operations. :D
That is, if you like green $.

letsgfuad said:
AA = 19
TS = 20
PAT = 20

bio = 19
o chem = 21
g chem = 21
reading = 21
math = 15 (dont laugh)
Pat = 20

you're good for dental school dude - if you're heart is set for dentistry then go for it. Podiatry training is over 6 years and in full honesty, if you are not passionate about it then you won't be too happy doing it. Don't get me wrong, I know more than a few people who are in podiatry school but had dentristry as their main top choice, and they're still doing ok. Just make sure you're happy with your decision.

Podiatry is a rewarding career on a professional level - you are working with the lower extremity and have the clinical skills to diagnose and treat conditions to that geographic region with vast options including surgery, if necessary. It isn't for everyone though - so make sure you're doing it because you genuinely want to be a podiatrist NOT because you don't want to try for dental school anymore.

doclm said:
If they knew, I think they might look down upon a person. However, I really don't think they will be able to tell. So, many people apply to Podiatry schools and apply to other programs as well. Scholl asked me have you applyed to any other programs besides Podiatry, I told them that I initially did apply to a couple Osteopathic Programs the year before and only DMU this year. However, I didn't pursue the DO any further, because I decided that DPM was the best choice for me. The only DO school that I was going to go to was DMU, other than that I would much rather be a DPM surgeon than go to a lower tier DO school like LECOM where I would be placed in disadvantaged medical communities across the U.S. After I learned more about Podiatry, the better I felt about making that decision.

If you had previously applyed to another program and made your decision that becoming a POD was the right choice for you, DPM admissions wouldn't hold a grudge on you.

Maybe some podiatry schools would have a problem with it but the majority don't care. The admissions people are very $$ driven and want to fill-up seats at all costs. Although things are changing and standards are becoming more solidified but in essence podiatry schools have no problem taking students with different pre-health sciences backgrounds. Some schools allow GREs, MCATs, and DATs so clearly it woiuld be no suprise if you had applied to another program MD, DO, DDS, Masters etc.

letsgfuad said:
AA = 19
TS = 20
PAT = 20

bio = 19
o chem = 21
g chem = 21
reading = 21
math = 15 (dont laugh)
Pat = 20

Don't let people dissuade you. I think your scores are solid. You have a competitive chance for dental school, as I am sure you know. I have an excellent package for MD programs and decided not to go because I liked podiatry more.

As far as podiatry vs. dentistry.... Consider these questions: Will I be ok working on one small region of the body with very little variety in terms of procedures? If so, dentistry should be fine. If you like the idea of working on dermatologic problems, soft tissue concerns, hard tissue, nerves, vasculature...all to great extents, you might want to look more into podiatry. Am I a "go getter" as far as jobs are concerned? Am I someone who rises to the top in academics, extra-curricular activities, and leadership roles? If the answer is no, you might reconsider dentistry and podiatry. Those who are successful in both of these fields are those who "rise to the top."

Dentists who love their job are typically people who see their job as as job with the perks of helping people. Podiatrists who see their job as a job are seldom pleased with their field. Most successful podiatrists are people who see it as a calling they get paid to do. I have met many unhappy dentists who were hoping the job would be more of a calling but did not find that to be a large part of the job description. I have met unhappy podiatrists who were lured toward the profession for the possibility for money and power (the mighty "Doctor" in front of their name).

If you haven't done so, ask around to find a podiatrist who has a large surgical practice and then request to observe several surgeries. I think you will find it a cool experience even if you decide not to go that route.

With your numbers, check out AZPOD (Arizona Podiatric Medicince Program at Midwestern University - Glendale). This year, most of the incoming class had stats very similar to yours. It is currently the most competitive podiatric medicine program to gain admissions into.

Good Luck,

AZPOD Rocks

AZPOD Rocks said:
Don't let people dissuade you. I think your scores are solid. You have a competitive chance for dental school, as I am sure you know. I have an excellent package for MD programs and decided not to go because I liked podiatry more.

As far as podiatry vs. dentistry.... Consider these questions: Will I be ok working on one small region of the body with very little variety in terms of procedures? If so, dentistry should be fine. If you like the idea of working on dermatologic problems, soft tissue concerns, hard tissue, nerves, vasculature...all to great extents, you might want to look more into podiatry. Am I a "go getter" as far as jobs are concerned? Am I someone who rises to the top in academics, extra-curricular activities, and leadership roles? If the answer is no, you might reconsider dentistry and podiatry. Those who are successful in both of these fields are those who "rise to the top."

Dentists who love their job are typically people who see their job as as job with the perks of helping people. Podiatrists who see their job as a job are seldom pleased with their field. Most successful podiatrists are people who see it as a calling they get paid to do. I have met many unhappy dentists who were hoping the job would be more of a calling but did not find that to be a large part of the job description. I have met unhappy podiatrists who were lured toward the profession for the possibility for money and power (the mighty "Doctor" in front of their name).

If you haven't done so, ask around to find a podiatrist who has a large surgical practice and then request to observe several surgeries. I think you will find it a cool experience even if you decide not to go that route.

With your numbers, check out AZPOD (Arizona Podiatric Medicince Program at Midwestern University - Glendale). This year, most of the incoming class had stats very similar to yours. It is currently the most competitive podiatric medicine program to gain admissions into.

Good Luck,

AZPOD Rocks

:thumbup: Well explained!

very well explained.

So i shadowed a dentist today and it seems like they can easily get stuck w/ those needles/sutures etc. Thats why i am having second thoughts.

I have shadowed one podiatrist and it though it was pretyt interesting, but they were patients who just had surgery who had to come back for the follow-up. I think i should definately view a surgery.

I like dentistry, but it seems like its easy to stick yourself (with needles). In podiatry are there any cases where you can stick yoruself. I understand surgery could be a situation.

Also, how is the application process. And salary wise, how does podiatry compare to general dentists ( no its not about the money). I have seen one figure saying gen dentists getting 140k and podiatrist 160k and podiatrist who do surgery 180k... is this true.

And finally most pod schools are mixed with MD students right?

same score that I got! Your definately a shoe in for podiatry school

letsgfuad said:
very well explained.

So i shadowed a dentist today and it seems like they can easily get stuck w/ those needles/sutures etc. Thats why i am having second thoughts.

I have shadowed one podiatrist and it though it was pretyt interesting, but they were patients who just had surgery who had to come back for the follow-up. I think i should definately view a surgery.

I like dentistry, but it seems like its easy to stick yourself (with needles). In podiatry are there any cases where you can stick yoruself. I understand surgery could be a situation.

Also, how is the application process. And salary wise, how does podiatry compare to general dentists ( no its not about the money). I have seen one figure saying gen dentists getting 140k and podiatrist 160k and podiatrist who do surgery 180k... is this true.

In terms of getting stuck with needles, that can also occur in the Podiatry profession. Besides getting stuck in the Operating room, a Podiatrist can also get stuck with a needle in private practice since we do administer injections as well for various conditions or treatments.

I am not sure what you mean by most podiatry schools mixing with MD students. In schools, such as AZPOD and DMU, the students sit in the exact same basic science classes as the DO students in the first two years. At TUSPM, podiatry students will do clinical rotations side by side MD students. TUSPM students rotate in the same Internal Medicine, Anesthesia, Vascular Surgery, Infectious Disease, Orthopedic Surgery, etc.. rotations as the MD students. I am sure that there are other podiatry schools where DPM students rotate in clinical rotaitons with MD/DO students.

I will leave the question about the admission process to one of the current students to answer.

Good luck.

letsgfuad said:
very well explained.

anyone going into medicine, nursing, allied health what have you has accepted that they may be in harm by helping the patient. some forms of health care may have less risk than others but with proper technique and carefulness there is little risk of harm.

if you are going into medicine you will be around sick people and sharp objects. this is something to come to terms with before starting down the long road of med school (any form).

krabmas said:
anyone going into medicine, nursing, allied health what have you has accepted that they may be in harm by helping the patient. some forms of health care may have less risk than others but with proper technique and carefulness there is little risk of harm.

if you are going into medicine you will be around sick people and sharp objects. this is something to come to terms with before starting down the long road of med school (any form).
Similarly, driving an automobile places oneself in danger. There are numerous safe driving practices that, when performed every single time, will keep the person out of danger as much as possible but even with all of the safe practices in driving, there is still risk. I'm going to keep driving, though, and try to be as safe as possible.

I feel the same way about putting myself in danger in a healthcare environment. This post is mainly for the original poster.

Thanks,

AZPOD Rocks

lafootdoc said:
same score that I got! Your definately a shoe in for podiatry school

You got a 15 in QR?

letsgfuad said:

No, the only interaction at any pod school w/ an allopathic program is anatomy and a few other non-medical classes at Scholl. The two schools who have intergrated programs are CPMS-DMU and AZPOD, and they are both with DO programs.

I think that you need to follow you own devices. Podiatry and dentistry both offer great opportunities but if you are not passionate about either they your life will be unhappy. Think about this, the next 4 to 6 years will determine the next 40-50 years until you retire (I'm guessing you are in your 20s).

Most schools will not look down upon multiple applications if you have a good justification. When you are interviewed don't lie, just give an honest and firm statement that you are looking to do what is best in your life.

AZPOD Rocks said:
It is currently the most competitive podiatric medicine program to gain admissions into.

This is true for now but will it change when your class sizes get larger. It is easy to be picky when you only need to fill 20-30 seats; but I would like to see all schools decrease in class sizes.

whiskers said:

i disagree, apply to both. It wont hurt i also took the DATs and got a 22 AA 21 PAT. I too was in favor of dentistry when i first applied but changed my mind when i got to meet the consulting podiatrist for the new jersey nets. U should have no problem getting into dental schools and pod schools. The pod schools that i applied to knew i applied to dental schools but still accepted me. Life is fickle, people change their minds, its a part of life but when u do make up ur mind, make sure u know why and its the thing u want to do. They are two very different professions but both are rooted in helping people.