Are there ways for CP only trained to gain qualification for AP / CP board certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

menglee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard job outlook for CP only trained is very bleak. If you are CP only and already in fellowship, are there ways to become AP / CP board qualified?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to go back and do a 3 year AP residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Then will there be funding issue, or is this possible because you have used up 3 years for CP?
It’s possible and likely program dependent. Chances are that some program is desperate enough for someone to gross colons and placentas that you will find a spot. The question is whether you would take your chances in CP or start over in something else. There are tons of jobs in blood bank, you could always do that as a fellowship.

I sincerely hope your CP fellowship is transfusion medicine or molecular. Transfusion medicine is the most useful and versatile of the CP disciplines for an MD - and the only one an MD can do. Not that you can't find a "job" say as a molecular pathologist, clinical chemist or medical microbiologist being a CP only pathologist, but it's going to be only in academia or in industry. And just FYI, in academic departments CP only pathologists are second-class citizens. Hemepath in some departments is classified as AP, but most are in the CP wing. Though I doubt that any hemepath departments would take a CP only resident - but I could be wrong.

If you already took and passed your CP only boards, part of that was signing an agreement with the ABP that you forgo the right to sit for the AP board sans doing an AP residency (3 years). This is why it is universally a terrible idea without equal to do AP or CP only. In an already suboptimal market for ideally trained graduates, doing CP only for something that an employer could get a PhD for less than half the cost of an MD is pure lunacy.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s possible and likely program dependent. Chances are that some program is desperate enough for someone to gross colons and placentas that you will find a spot. The question is whether you would take your chances in CP or start over in something else. There are tons of jobs in blood bank, you could always do that as a fellowship.[/

what is the average workload for full time TM job in academia? can you get away with working from 10am-1pm every day like you can in molecular?
I imagine the techs are doing most of the grunt work for any thing in the blood bank / cell therapy lab and residents handle any testing for transfusions. So the attendings just need to round with the residents for a few minutes each day?
If that is the case, $200K for that type of work is a good deal. Better than $300K for a 60-hour/week surg path gig.