Are there programs offering combined neurocritical care with INR fellowship ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any programs offering combined fellowship for Neurocritical care with INR, or stroke with INR ? I am interested in INR.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I'm aware of. The people who run each division/department are almost always non-overlapping. Getting them to agree on an applicant is difficult.

I know several people who have organized their INR fellowship "to follow" at a single organization, but it was on their own clinical strengths rather than on some sort of two-fer agreement in a single fellowship.

Maybe some other discussants have more info?

We currently have a fellow, neurology trained, doing a vascular and INR fellowship. I mention him because he is doing a lot of elective time in my NSICU. I imagine that something could be worked out but as the above poster said, it is likely more challenging.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there an analogue for neurointerventionalists akin to what cardiac interventionalists do with time split b/w cath and ccu or cath and floor attending? i.e., is this something that is feasibly in the current environment for NIR from those neurology trained.

is there an analogue for neurointerventionalists akin to what cardiac interventionalists do with time split b/w cath and ccu or cath and floor attending? i.e., is this something that is feasibly in the current environment for NIR from those neurology trained.

One of my colleagues is a neurologist who did NCC training with us, then NIR fellowship with us, and now is on staff in NIR and NCC. He spends the vast majority of his time in NIR. That said, we have pretty large group, and if he were in an environment where he was one of 3 intensivists, I don't think he could do it because it wouldn't make financial sense for him to spend that much time outside the angio suite.

If a hospital/department is going to hire you to do procedures, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the suite to be sitting empty while you're off billing for (comparably) peanuts in the ICU. And if the suite is not sitting empty because your colleagues are expanding their NIR practice while you are idle, well then you have additional problems, like justifying why you are on the NIR staff at all.

So you have to do another 4 years of fellowship, NCC + INR, I am trying to find out if you can cut short, if there is any program accepting candidates for that.

Thx for your*responses typoonegator, are you into NCC? do you know any vacancy for neurocritical care fellowships for 2013 year in east coast. I know match is already over.

Thx for your*responses typoonegator, are you into NCC? do you know any vacancy for neurocritical care fellowships for 2013 year in east coast. I know match is already over.

We filled through the match. Don't know about other programs, but the big east coast places tend to fill pretty fast.

And yes, I'm 'into' neurocritical care.