Are there any clubs/activities to make your app stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, I know good grades is step 1, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any organizations or activities to get involved with that would make the app reviewers take notice? If it's not anything science related- do they not care? or are they just interested to see if you're involved in community things? I work F/T and go to school part time and I'm just wondering.

Just trying to get some sort of edge over the competition-I swear I lie awake worrying about getting in!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, MALA. I thought I was the only one lying awake wondering what else I can do this year to increase my chances. :laugh:

You are not alone in your fears. I believe most are in the same boat. I suppose you just need to have confidence in yourself!

As for the clubs, I think as long as you are actively involved in them, it shouldn't matter. It doesn't hurt to be involved in community organizations also. I am involved in 2 community org, 2 hospital volunteer positions, 1 club at school in 1999 which was not science related. I applied to 3 universities, got interviews at 2 and waiting to hear from 3rd. So, whatever you do, just be actively involved in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second that-get involved. If you can, land an exec position-that REALLY shows involvement. The presence of EC clubs only shows that you stake a claim to be well-rounded.

IMO-if I was on the admissions panel, and I was reviewing an app which had all their EC's as pharm organizations, I'd want to grill him a bit about their life outside of school (find out if they have one).

The few EC's that I chose to put on my CV have now come up in 2 of 4 residency interviews. It is an easy ammunition source for interviewers to draw on when they are coming up with things to talk about.

Another idea that would possibly give off more good vibes is to start your own club. Shows resourcefulness and a desire to not embrace the status quo. I started a club during my undergrad, and it was brought up a couple of times during res. interviews.

I had a bunch of random stuff since I cam to pharmacy as a career change. I think some of it definitely stood out. At one interview I talked a lot about being an athlete and I got in. I also had some activist/community-based things. That came up at 1 interview and the conversation went well. They were very interested and supportive. I am sure that stuff definitely stood out from the pack, but it can be risky also doing stuff that could be considered controversial by someone who has different views than you do. I would say just do activities that make you happy, whatever they are. Everyone will have some sort of pharmacy/ health care experience and if you also have something you like, whether it is sports, church, community justice work, basket weaving, whatever, and you can talk passionately about it, you should be fine. Good luck :)

EC's:

Participate in something that you actually enjoy. Don't join clubs for the sake of "looking good". I volunteered my time working on farms and vet hospitals. I guess they were impressed that I had other interests outside pharmacy.

So if you play an instrument, sculpt, DJ, or do other things that you are proud of...put it down! In your interview, you can always, and I mean always relate the experience to your people skills and pharmacy. Pharmacy schools are looking for reasonably well-adjusted, happy people. You can make yourself stand out by being...you.

Cheesy, but true.

loo

Sorry...
az said exactly the same thing!

It's pre-senile demetia creepin' up on me!

loo