Are PDA's or Pocket PCs useful at UHS or in any DO school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

Wo1verine7DO

Do any MSI -IV feel that a PDA or Pocket PC are useful for class and other medical related things? Or is the old Pad and Pen more useful? Also, what are the typical requirements with a computer? I'm thinking of getting a P4, 512K, 40 GB Hard Drive...?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, DO's don't actually practice real medicine, so you probably won't need a PDA in a DO school.

And a whole 512K of memory on your new computer? You must really be planning to run some hardcore software like VisiCalc 1.0 or Bank Street Writer :laugh:

DMU is actually requiring a computer fee as part of the tuition where it pays for a laptop and a PDA. The fee is not really high at all divided into 4 years.... Throughout the 4 years, student's laptop and PDAs are automatically upgraded to the best one. And before graduation, they can keep their PDA and laptop.

The laptop and PDA will be connected to the wireless server at DMU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wo1verine7DO,

I used my laptop a lot my first 2 years, and didn't even touch my PDA. During my 3rd year, I've used the PDA all the time.

I'm not sure where you're at in your education, but I would wait till the end of your 2nd year to buy a PDA. There's no rush, and with electronics it's better to wait till the last moment b/c of how fast technology advances.

Eric, MSIII
COMP

I agree with Eric... you won't use your PDA much during your first two years of medical school. Third year is a different story. Don't buy a PDA right now if you think it will help you during the first part of medical school...

Q

Just to throw another voice into the mix....

My hubby as an MS1, uses his PDA constantly! He is able to synch up to the computer and put all of his schedule onto the PDA as well as set alarms for various important 'to dos'.

With such a hectic schedule, this has really helped him be more orderly. He also keeps lots of info and notes in it and is able to download certain med books (like Merck I think) so he doesn't have to lug it around.

Yes, we might have to get him an upgrade when he gets to 3rd year, but for him, this was a necessary and invaluable expense.

All depends on the person. I personally hate the things. :)

Good luck!
Wifty

well, I have to agree with wifty on this one. I am pretty disorganized when it comes to remembering appointments, etc. I used a PDA in college for keeping track of assignments and schedules. I used it all the time. When I lost it I realized how much I really relied on it. Last Christmas, my best friend gave me a Clie as a Christmas/Congratulations on getting in to med school gift. Again, I find it invaluable for keeping track of addresses, schedules, looking up obscure words in a dictionary, etc. I think it would be a great asset to anyone who has trouble keeping track of their schedule and likes to have tons of information at their fingertips. Mine also doubles as a .mp3 player, so I have that added advantage. I'm sure I'll use it all the time next year.