Are Canadian Citizens who Apply to Schools in the States International Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasmine26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am interested in applying to schools in the States. I am a Canadian Citizen, am I considered international student or a non-resident.
When checking out the stats book from AAMC, I noticed most schools rarely interview/accept international students. Are Canadians considered internation too????

Members don't see this ad.

If you do your homework you'll find there are lots of schools that accept Canadians. I have a friend at Albany right now, and I know other Canadians that have been accepted to UPenn, Wayne State, Rosalind Franklin, etc.

thanks for the reply, but that was not my question,
I have the AAMC handbook and it lists applicants in three categories:
resident, non-resident and international.
It then lists stats as applied, interviewed and accepted.

I would liek to know which CATEGORY Canadians qualify under international or non-residents.

US citizens applying to Canadian schools are considered International, is that the same for Canadians applying to the States?? or is it different for each school/.
That is my question!

Members don't see this ad :)

I would liek to know which CATEGORY Canadians qualify under international or non-residents.

US citizens applying to Canadian schools are considered International, is that the same for Canadians applying to the States?? or is it different for each school/.
That is my question!

they are international.
the canadians are not international for undergraduate studies only.
if they consider you a resident of the state you may go to a state medical school and costs you much less. if...

thanks, that helps me a lot

My mistake...as the last person said, we are internationals...but that does not mean we don't have a reasonable chance of being accepted to many schools. Hope that helps!

just wanted to say..I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!! great info=0)
Just to give you a bit of info...I'm a Can. citizen working full time now and considering a career change into a health science field. Currently leaning towards pharmacy. It's extremely competitive in Can. to get into these fields...so actually several friends who have tried for years now are, like me, thinking of applying to US schools. Def. would love to get more info on whether or not any US schools are "friendly" towards Canadian applicants to their Dentistry/Pharmacy programs...and if anyone has opinions on health science fields..and potential job trends...
THANX!!!!

So my situation is somewhat different, but still similar than the OP. I am a Canadian citizen, but have lived in the States since I was less than a year old. For all intents and purposes, given my citizenship, would I be considered for Canadian medical schools, who seem to have very few spots open for students not from Canada?

So my situation is somewhat different, but still similar than the OP. I am a Canadian citizen, but have lived in the States since I was less than a year old. For all intents and purposes, given my citizenship, would I be considered for Canadian medical schools, who seem to have very few spots open for students not from Canada?

If you are a permanent resident of the USA (have a green card), you are considered in the same category as American citizens when it comes to admissions.

If you are a permanent resident of the USA (have a green card), you are considered in the same category as American citizens when it comes to admissions.

Thanks, that totally answers my question

I am trying to find the answer to the very same question.
A while back I read somewhere that there are certain med schools in the states that treat canadians no different than the americans. That is not to say that we get the same preference. Of course they prefer their own students, but still, the canadians do have a chance and need not pay the big bucks like an international student.

Something like - you compete but not pay like an international.

Has someone heard something like this?

I am trying to find the answer to the very same question.
A while back I read somewhere that there are certain med schools in the states that treat canadians no different than the americans. That is not to say that we get the same preference. Of course they prefer their own students, but still, the canadians do have a chance and need not pay the big bucks like an international student.

Something like - you compete but not pay like an international.

Has someone heard something like this?

...yes certain schools put you under the 'OOS' category during admissions process...but you always pay as an international student. all 4 years.