Are any teleradiology jobs any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m only an R1 but I get emails every now and then for open positions and have seen quite a few swing shift teleradiology jobs that seem to pay well and offer 1 on 2 off. I guess my question is, what’s the catch? Their salaries seem in line with daytime salaries/slightly less. Why would someone not want a job like that if they’re reading swing/evening shift for the east coast while living out west?

Members don't see this ad.

Working swing/evening in the east while living in the west still means you are giving up your dinner time with family

Members don't see this ad :)
The devil in details.

One week on two weeks off may not pay as well as you expect.

Night work sucks.

If you are single or at least don’t have kids (and have a partner that is okay with weird or off-hours schedules), you can do very well in 1 on, 2 off gigs. The off hours are usually paid at a premium and you have 2 weeks off to pick up additional work if you want to.

I’m only an R1 but I get emails every now and then for open positions and have seen quite a few swing shift teleradiology jobs that seem to pay well and offer 1 on 2 off. I guess my question is, what’s the catch? Their salaries seem in line with daytime salaries/slightly less. Why would someone not want a job like that if they’re reading swing/evening shift for the east coast while living out west?

It's all about your compensation/wRVU. For traditional nighthawk companies, you are likely reading 40-50% more volume to make the same as a partner in a legit private practice...Also what are you reading? Bread and butter community stuff or level 1 trauma/stroke center etc

There are increasing opportunities to work off-site/tele for private practice and even academics. For private practice you are prob making around 20% less (or reading 20% more) compared to "boots-on-the-ground" rads. Partnership may or may not be an option.

Regardless, when looking at any job you need to make sure that you wRVU production percentile is concordant with your income percentile

Hard to say what things will look like by the time you are out of training

Reactions: 1 users
Tele job opportunities are plentiful right now, the best are certainly not through the big corporate entities.

Reactions: 1 user
Tele job opportunities are plentiful right now, the best are certainly not through the big corporate entities.

Def agree. One is likely better to negotiate directly with a PP

Reactions: 1 users