APTA: Vision 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Having just read this ENTIRE thread, it is difficult to organize all of the immediate thoughts and reactions.

Is it logical then, to consider inpatient physical therapy and outpatient physical therapy as two strictly separated domains (as affected by healthcare change, I mean)? When I read the post about showing how PTs are necessary rather than a luxury I was astonished because given the experience I have had volunteering in a hospital setting, I do not see how it isn't necessary.

Volunteering in outpatient was a different story because you do get a sense that the services are seen as extra, rather than necessary. Overall, I need to do a ton more research on healthcare reform. I have been so involved in just getting accepted that I have little/no clue about the healthcare system I'll be entering. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So... 3+ years later. Where do we stand, everybody?

Issues brought up were decreasing reimbursement, medicare drying up, PT viewed as superfluous or a luxury as compared to necessary. Some of you in this particular discussion have since graduated; are you getting what you expected? And hey, given that i see a good bit of accuracy from posts 3+ years past regarding today, why not project another 3 years into the future, while you are at it.

Bump. I am in the process of applying to schools as well and would love to hear feedback from recent grads and veterans in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like the new APTA vision statement has succeeded the vision 2020 statement, which is:
"Tansforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience."

That is to follow it up with guiding principles to achieve the vision listed on the APTA website: http://www.apta.org/Vision/

It seems to me the APTA is adopting a statement that is very broad where it it is setting all healthcare professions to view physical therapy as the 'gold standard' to which can be looked upon pertaining to movement. The term phrase 'human experience' I felt could have been replaced though. Just wondering what is everyone's thought about this new vision statement?