General Admissions & OTCAS Applying with a class in progress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYY13251

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So I am finishing up Anatomy 2 and all I have left is Stats and Sociology which I am knocking out in May for 5 week classes. So by the end of June, I am done and will focus on my personal statements and observation hours.

I am applying to about 6 schools ( and going to try to find a few more to apply to) and most of them have a few Psych classes as a pre-req and I have taken
- Abnormal Psych
- Principles of Human Behavior AKA General Psychology (one school changed title to that when transferred)
- Child Psych
- Child with Exceptionalities

Most schools seem to want Abnormal, Principles of Human Behavior and Across a Lifespan. If I took Lifespan this fall as I was applying, do you think schools would have a problem with that? It would be over in December. Do you think needing that one class would hurt my chances and do most schools let you apply if you are enrolled in a class?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools let you have classes in progress when you apply as long as a majority of the prereqs are completed at the time of applying. Also, they will make you show proof of enrollment, so they know that they are actually in progress. I had A&P 2 in progress at the time I was applying and it was fine. Depending on the school they might ask you to send in a second transcript after you complete the class in December. Most application decisions don't go out until at least late January anyway. Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks. Last thing I would want is to hurt my chances because of being a class short. My goal is to apply the day the application opens. Starting in June, I am going to start to prepare all my apps and make accounts for all the schools and what not!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was applying with A&P in progress and was fine!
I feel like you'll definitely be fine considering you've taken other similar courses and have the rest of your prereqs complete

I agree with previous replies, it's fine to apply with classes in progress. I have noticed though that some schools will only accept "x" amount of credits in progress so I would look into that for each specific school just to be safe!

Also, if possible, I would try to start volunteering asap, before your classes end. The more hours the better. From personal experience it was a hard time for me finding volunteer sites so at least getting a jump start on finding places could only be beneficial!

One last thing! Don't be afraid to apply to either out of state schools or schools that are a little farther than you might like. (since you said you might apply to a few more). The more options the better :)

I agree with previous replies, it's fine to apply with classes in progress. I have noticed though that some schools will only accept "x" amount of credits in progress so I would look into that for each specific school just to be safe!

Also, if possible, I would try to start volunteering asap, before your classes end. The more hours the better. From personal experience it was a hard time for me finding volunteer sites so at least getting a jump start on finding places could only be beneficial!

One last thing! Don't be afraid to apply to either out of state schools or schools that are a little farther than you might like. (since you said you might apply to a few more). The more options the better :)

Thanks! I so far have a list about 7-8 schools I am applying to. They are all around. Do not want to limit myself and the fiancé said she is willing to go anywhere. I found a place to observe and start early May! Plus, I can shadow where I work, so between the two places, I should be set. Once I wrap up Stats and Sociology in late June, my primary focus will be hours and working on the personal statements!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone,
So I am finishing up Anatomy 2 and all I have left is Stats and Sociology which I am knocking out in May for 5 week classes. So by the end of June, I am done and will focus on my personal statements and observation hours.

I am applying to about 6 schools ( and going to try to find a few more to apply to) and most of them have a few Psych classes as a pre-req and I have taken
- Abnormal Psych
- Principles of Human Behavior AKA General Psychology (one school changed title to that when transferred)
- Child Psych
- Child with Exceptionalities

Most schools seem to want Abnormal, Principles of Human Behavior and Across a Lifespan. If I took Lifespan this fall as I was applying, do you think schools would have a problem with that? It would be over in December. Do you think needing that one class would hurt my chances and do most schools let you apply if you are enrolled in a class?

Thanks!
Most schools (like others have said) seems to be fine with a few classes in progress. However, as I was finding places to apply this past year I found that a number of schools state that all pre-requisites must be completed at the time of application. Read each school's website very very carefully- often this requirement was in just one place and easy to miss. You don't want to waste your time or money applying to a school that will toss your app because of a few classes in progress.