Applying to Urology as an MD/PhD- how competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubeofbread

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Checked the search and couldn't find any great answers so thought I'd ask here. In the midst of shaping my PhD research and really just trying to see how urology looks at MD/PhD and how competitive I'd be in urology vis a vis the internal medicine based specialties to try to shape my PhD (which may take a slightly urology related bent). I'm on my urology rotation right now and didn't expect to be as interested in it as I am.

My stats- MD/PhD at a top school (harvard, hopkins, stanford type)
249 step 1

Would love to hear anyones perspectives on how MD/PhD affects urology and how much which med school you attend matters for urology as I've read mixed things. I'd ideally like to stay at a large research type school and wanted to see how tough getting into academic urology at a big school would be with my current background as my step score is decent, but not great.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be competitive provided your grades and research are good. Going to an excellent medical school helps, but not much. All US medical schools are excellent, and a Harvard pedigree is not going to make up at all for deficiencies in academic performance, board scores, research, or audition rotations. The same can be said for the PhD -- will help, but will not make up for other deficiencies.

Going to a large/research type of program should also be very doable. Many urology programs are at huge research institutions, but you may need to adjust your expectations. If your heart is set on only Harvard, Hopkins, or Stanford-type places, then you probably will have a harder time. The research is the X-factor, and if you can be very productive during your PhD years with quality projects, that is what will get you into the door on those big name places.