Applying to same school for medical school as undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BadgerBadger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, first time posting. I thought this question would be most appropriate in this subforum and yes, I did read the FAQ but couldn't find the answer there.

Do medical schools place any preference on applicants that attend the same school for undergrad studies then apply to the same school for medical school? I'm in love with the university I currently am attending and it has a good (top 30) medical program. If I applied to the medical program here, would I have a better chance than someone who went to a different school, all else being equal?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, first time posting. I thought this question would be most appropriate in this subforum and yes, I did read the FAQ but couldn't find the answer there.

Do medical schools place any preference on applicants that attend the same school for undergrad studies then apply to the same school for medical school? I'm in love with the university I currently am attending and it has a good (top 30) medical program. If I applied to the medical program here, would I have a better chance than someone who went to a different school, all else being equal?

It depends on the school, but even state flagships don't want to fill their whole class with applicants that did their UG there. Class diversity is important when it comes to medical school rankings, and you'll see many of the top universities touting a class that comes from x number of universities.

An exception is Brown. Since they are the only RI school they take many in-state and many(like a lot) of people that did their UG there.

Buy the MSAR and you can see what percentage your school's class is made up of folks that did their UG there.

Does your username mean you are referring to UW Madison?

Members don't see this ad :)

yes.

It depends on the school, but even state flagships don't want to fill their whole class with applicants that did their UG there. Class diversity is important when it comes to medical school rankings, and you'll see many of the top universities touting a class that comes from x number of universities.

An exception is Brown. Since they are the only RI school they take many in-state and many(like a lot) of people that did their UG there.

Buy the MSAR and you can see what percentage your school's class is made up of folks that did their UG there.

Brown has a combined BS/MD program that high-schoolers can apply to which is guaranteed acceptance assuming you meet the requirements. I'm not familiar with Brown's particular cutoffs, but at my school, participants who maintain a 3.5 cGPA and score at least a 31 on the MCAT receive guaranteed acceptance to the COM. A number of other universities also have this as well, which is where a majority of people who graduated UG from that particular institution come from.

I am indeed.

In that case, this is what I found from an old UW madison thread.

I am currently an undergraduate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison but am an
Illinois resident. I know I won't get preference because I am OOS, but will the
fact that I am a student here help? I hope so! I love Madison and want to stay
here another 4 years!

It helps a lot actually. UW loves it's alums.

Also:

When I did admissions stuff for UW, they used a point system in which they gave
points for different categories. IIRC, they were something like:

+1 pt
for GPA > 3.8
+1 pt for MCAT > 35
+1 pt for clinical volunteering
> x hours (don't remember but it was like 200)
+2 pts for doing undergrad
at UW Madison

Both quotes are from a UW student who I believe has worked on the adcom. Hope that helps.

In that case, this is what I found from an old UW madison thread.

Also:

Both quotes are from a UW student who I believe has worked on the adcom. Hope that helps.

It helps a ton, thanks! I searched for threads pertaining to UWSMPH but couldn't find this answer. Thank you again.

Lots of med schools like their alums. I'm convinced the only reason I got an interview at Georgetown Med (11,000 applicants and only 1,000 interviews given out) was that I did my undergrad there.