applying to MD/MBA while in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteorgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm in my 2nd year of med school, and our school has MD/MBA program where you apply at mid-3rd year. I was just wondering in general, how competitive is it to get into MBA if you're in med school? our business school is considered top tier, idk if that makes much difference. and i'm guessing only 3-5 of us will actually apply to this program, so you guys think any of us be turned down?

On side note... generally speaking, is it worth the extra year and debt..?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also interested in the MD/MBA program, so prior to applying to a medical school I am looking for those who offer such a program. I have started to contact some schools and from what I can see some reserve spots for exclusively medical students. For example, University of Miami has 8 slots a year only for medical school students interested in MD/MBA. They also said that roughly 10 MD students apply a year, so you have a good probability of getting accepted. Just check and see how your school approaches the MD/MBA program, by contacting the business school directly.

from what I've seen there generally isn't too many people who even want to do it, so it's not too hard to get once your there. I'm really looking forward to mine, I'm taking finance and accounting right now so I don't have to over the summer.

Its an interesting process - I just went through it. Its not "hard" per se, but i think that there were some hurdles I definitely had to jump over given how suspicious the MBAs were that i was going to practice clinical medicine etc... Found a great resource in the MD MBA Association about the whole application process though and this really helped me get through it, which i highly recommend reading http://www.mdmbas.com/ForProspectiveStudents/ApplicationAdvice/