Applying to MD, DO, and Pod schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it would be detrimental to a student's possibility of acceptance to apply to MD, DO, and Podiatry schools all at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

alparkeruab said:
Do you guys think it would be detrimental to a student's possibility of acceptance to apply to MD, DO, and Podiatry schools all at the same time?

I cant see why it would matter. Unless they specifically asked I dont think any other program would know. I just dont think you can apply to a DPM and a DO program at the same institution. Other than that, I think many students do it.

IlizaRob said:
I cant see why it would matter. Unless they specifically asked I dont think any other program would know. I just dont think you can apply to a DPM and a DO program at the same institution. Other than that, I think many students do it.

I think you COULD apply to a DPM and a DO program at the same institution but it would most likely be detrimental to one's chances for admissions in either program.

AZPOD Rocks

Members don't see this ad :)
alparkeruab said:

so you just want to be a doctor? any kind will do? why not optometry school and dental school to, and just for good measure throw in vet school.

before spending/borrowing $100,000's think about what you really want to become and do with your life don't just settle for the next best thing to come along.

krabmas said:
so you just want to be a doctor? any kind will do? why not optometry school and dental school to, and just for good measure throw in vet school.

before spending/borrowing $100,000's think about what you really want to become and do with your life don't just settle for the next best thing to come along.

This is true. Applications are quite expensive and time consuming.

Reactions: 1 user
AZPOD Rocks said:
I think you COULD apply to a DPM and a DO program at the same institution but it would most likely be detrimental to one's chances for admissions in either program.

AZPOD Rocks

Well, I know you cant at DMU.

IlizaRob said:

I know you can, technically at MWU, though I would advise against it since all faculty members are part of the admissions committee and serve as interviewers for various programs.

AZPOD Rocks

IlizaRob said:

You can and they might even slip through the system unchecked. But most admission offices are a close knit group of gals and guys. If they notice a name on both lists, that is a huge hit on the applicants chances.

Dr_Feelgood said:
You can and they might even slip through the system unchecked. But most admission offices are a close knit group of gals and guys. If they notice a name on both lists, that is a huge hit on the applicants chances.

Things may have changed. When I applied they said you couldnt apply to both programs.

alparkeruab said:

Good thinking… But

I not only encourage you to apply to every medical and podiatry program, but additionally, I strongly recommend that you also apply to every dental, veterinary and optometry program, both foreign and domestic, in the entire world.

You wouldn't want to be castigated by your family and friends for not being a doctor.

Keep your options open.

Are you kidding, way to make an ass of yourself through the thousands of assumptions you had to make just to validate posting that response, unbelievable. Could it be possible that someone, somewhere might have a genuine interest in medicine, so much so that the foot and ankle are facinating, but other systems of the body are equally mesmerizing?!? Holy **** thats crazyness! APPLY TO MD AND DPM SCHOOLS, you have to be a complete nut who is clearly hell bent on becoming a DOCTOR to want to do that. Guess Im a rip roaring nut.
Note - message directer to whiskers and krabmas

jelliott said:
Are you kidding, way to make an ass of yourself through the thousands of assumptions you had to make just to validate posting that response, unbelievable. Could it be possible that someone, somewhere might have a genuine interest in medicine, so much so that the foot and ankle are facinating, but other systems of the body are equally mesmerizing?!? Holy **** thats crazyness! APPLY TO MD AND DPM SCHOOLS, you have to be a complete nut who is clearly hell bent on becoming a DOCTOR to want to do that. Guess Im a rip roaring nut.

Mmmmm! You ended a sentence with a preposition! BAD BOY!!!

:mad:

jelliott said:
Dude, seriously are you off your medicine? That was about as disturbing, alarming and confusing a diatribe I've heard from anyone except a crack addict in a 7-Eleven store line. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
capo said:
Dude, seriously are you off your medicine? That was about as disturbing, alarming and confusing a diatribe I've heard from anyone except a crack addict in a 7-Eleven store line. :eek:

Maybe so, but he has a point. A little over dramatic but still has a point.

mrfeet said:
Mmmmm! You ended a sentence with a preposition! BAD BOY!!!

:mad:

Actually, he ended it with a prepositional phrase, which is just fine. The last word is the object of the preposition. You wouldn't want to end sentences with the words to, at, or for, though. :)

IlizaRob said:
Maybe so, but he has a point. A little over dramatic but still has a point.
Iliza, melodramatic at best. Go get a part on a soap opera though, if this is how he presents his case. Don't you agree?

jelliott said:

Another sensitive poster?? I understand completely....

Just make sure you don't get too steamed and implode if you do become a doctor and the chief resident corrects your inability to handle the stress!

Lol!

whiskers said:
Another sensitive poster?? I understand completely....

Just make sure you don't get too steamed and implode if you do become a doctor and the chief resident corrects your inability to handle the stress!

Lol!

You know Im not sure what was up that day...Something just snapped I guess. Im glad some could see the point behind the excessive rambling. :)

jelliott said:
You know Im not sure what was up that day...Something just snapped I guess. Im glad some could see the point behind the excessive rambling. :)

I'm like that at times too. It's all natural.

whiskers said:
I'm like that at times too. It's all natural.
Who you joking, whiskers? You're like that ALL the time! :laugh: :p

alparkeruab said:

Somewhere in the application they ask you if you have applied to other types of programs. In the interview they asked me where else I applied. I only applied to Podiatry schools, but if you get stuck with a question like this one in and interview, I would have a hell of a story as to why you're applying to 2-3 OTHER programs. It shows that you have no idea what you want to be and the top Podiatry programs will look at this very negatively.

My stats are very borderline for most MD or DO programs, and I am planning to only apply to 2-3 of these schools each-programs where I feel like I have a real shot to get in. I am also interested in applying to a few podiatry programs-not as back up plans, but because I am genuinely interested in Podiatry. So if I applied to only a few podiatry programs in addition to the MD and DO programs, that would only be about 9-10 schools that I would be applying to total. Is that really too much?

9-10 is not that many schools to apply to. If you only applied to the pod schools that would be 7. But it will cost you b/c those are 3 separate applications.

alparkeruab said:
My stats are very borderline for most MD or DO programs, and I am planning to only apply to 2-3 of these schools each-programs where I feel like I have a real shot to get in. I am also interested in applying to a few podiatry programs-not as back up plans, but because I am genuinely interested in Podiatry. So if I applied to only a few podiatry programs in addition to the MD and DO programs, that would only be about 9-10 schools that I would be applying to total. Is that really too much?

That's actually considered very little. The average pre-med applies to about 20-30 schools and that's just for the MD program. In your case since you want to apply to everything you should add a few more DO and MD schools to your list. Probably more DO schools since you said your stats are borderline. If you're leaning more towards DPM, then add more Pod schools. Most ppl apply to 4-6 schools for POD. Just means more $$$ you'll have to fork over to the admissions ppl. My advice: just stick to one field! Saves you money, time, and admissions questioning your confidence. Worse comes to worse, just flip a coin and decide. Then again it's all up to you and your wallet!

Cheetos said:
That's actually considered very little. The average pre-med applies to about 20-30 schools and that's just for the MD program. In your case since you want to apply to everything you should add a few more DO and MD schools to your list. Probably more DO schools since you said your stats are borderline. If you're leaning more towards DPM, then add more Pod schools. Most ppl apply to 4-6 schools for POD. Just means more $$$ you'll have to fork over to the admissions ppl. My advice: just stick to one field! Saves you money, time, and admissions questioning your confidence. Worse comes to worse, just flip a coin and decide. Then again it's all up to you and your wallet!

I will have to disagree about sticking to one field. I think it is ok to apply to different programs if you really have a genuine interest in all fields. Look at your options later and make your decision. But if you put down on apps that you are applying to other fields, be prepared to talk about it in interviews. Have a good reason too.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think that admissions commitees would really take me less seriously as an applicant if they found out that I was applying to two other fields besides their own?

Well it probably would matter in some way. It shows to the adcoms that you haven't made up your mind and it would most likely limit your chances for acceptance. They are less likely to give you an acceptance if the adcoms know you don't know if that field is right for you. Applying to MD and DO seems pretty common but MD, DO, and DPM doesn't sound too great, especially if the schools have both podiatry and medicine (Scholl, AZPOD, DMU, Temple, not sure about anymore). Just pick a career and apply to that one school within the university.

I don’t see anything wrong with the OP wanting to apply to all three programs. It’s really only three different titles that really all formed under the same umbrella of medicine. I mean, MD and DO is practically the same thing, considering they have the same practice rights, and neither one is by law more qualified than the other to perform a procedure. A podiatrist practices the same medicine as a MD/DO. They are merely limited to a lower portion of body. It’s still the same medicine involved. An MD/DO and podiatrist both prescribe painkillers, anti-inflammatory medication, and even perform surgery if all else fails. Look at Podiatry as a specialized field of medicine, because it really is. I’m fixing to stray a little bit, but check out this analogy. I think it applies to this situation. Lets, say you’re a high school student and you’re torn between Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. You can’t decide which one of these schools that you want to attend, but you know that you will be equally happy attending any of three. You get an acceptance letter from Yale, but you get rejected from Harvard and Princeton. Would you consider it to be settling for less if you accept Yale’s acceptance? No. What I’m saying is, if you will be equally happy with all three programs, then just go with the one that accepts you. If you get accepted to all three, then decide when the offer is handed to you. Until then, apply to all three and hope for the best. Sorry about the corny metaphor. I hope you guys don’t criticize me for it. It seems as though that’s all anyone ever does on these forums. I don’t even hang out in the Pre-Allopathic forum anymore for that reason. We should try to offer encouragement, instead of discouragement. I wish the OP the best of luck…

clc8503 said:
I don’t see anything wrong with the OP wanting to apply to all three programs. It’s really only three different titles that really all formed under the same umbrella of medicine. I mean, MD and DO is practically the same thing, considering they have the same practice rights, and neither one is by law more qualified than the other to perform a procedure. A podiatrist practices the same medicine as a MD/DO. They are merely limited to a lower portion of body. It’s still the same medicine involved. An MD/DO and podiatrist both prescribe painkillers, anti-inflammatory medication, and even perform surgery if all else fails. Look at Podiatry as a specialized field of medicine, because it really is. I’m fixing to stray a little bit, but check out this analogy. I think it applies to this situation. Lets, say you’re a high school student and you’re torn between Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. You can’t decide which one of these schools that you want to attend, but you know that you will be equally happy attending any of three. You get an acceptance letter from Yale, but you get rejected from Harvard and Princeton. Would you consider it to be settling for less if you accept Yale’s acceptance? No. What I’m saying is, if you will be equally happy with all three programs, then just go with the one that accepts you. If you get accepted to all three, then decide when the offer is handed to you. Until then, apply to all three and hope for the best. Sorry about the corny metaphor. I hope you guys don’t criticize me for it. It seems as though that’s all anyone ever does on these forums. I don’t even hang out in the Pre-Allopathic forum anymore for that reason. We should try to offer encouragement, instead of discouragement. I wish the OP the best of luck…

I agree with you in that if the OP will be happy with any of the above then apply to all 3. but if you know you want to be a pod than pull the aps from MD and DO school. because MD and DO grads cannot be pods. they can be foot and ankle orthos but not pods (similar but not the same).

and the OP needs to have a good explanation of why they would be just as happy with pod or DO or MD.

I interviewed a student that also had an application into MD or DO school and asked if she got into both MD, DO and pod school what she would choose and she said she was unsure.

it was nice of her to be honest but it made it seem like pod was a 2nd chance last ditch effort. She should have said "you know, I really want to be a pod and would accept the pod school offer" then follow with some excuse like I just wanted to see if I could get into MD or DO school to appease my parents" or some crap like that.

krabmas said:
I agree with you in that if the OP will be happy with any of the above then apply to all 3. but if you know you want to be a pod than pull the aps from MD and DO school. because MD and DO grads cannot be pods. they can be foot and ankle orthos but not pods (similar but not the same).

and the OP needs to have a good explanation of why they would be just as happy with pod or DO or MD.

I interviewed a student that also had an application into MD or DO school and asked if she got into both MD, DO and pod school what she would choose and she said she was unsure.

it was nice of her to be honest but it made it seem like pod was a 2nd chance last ditch effort. She should have said "you know, I really want to be a pod and would accept the pod school offer" then follow with some excuse like I just wanted to see if I could get into MD or DO school to appease my parents" or some crap like that.

wait a minute! you interview students at NYCPM. Wow! :thumbup: i shud be very carefull next time posting anything against you, wat if i end up interviewing in NYCPM. lol! (i pray not as i wanna be in cali or arizona). No but seriously do students do interviews or r u just kidding. and is it just limited to podiatry or even in med schools med students interview prospective student.

I know some med schools have you interview with a faculty member and a second interview with a student. I'm guessing Pod schools do it too then. *Bows down to Krabmas* :p

cool_vkb said:
wait a minute! you interview students at NYCPM. Wow! :thumbup: i shud be very carefull next time posting anything against you, wat if i end up interviewing in NYCPM. lol! (i pray not as i wanna be in cali or arizona). No but seriously do students do interviews or r u just kidding. and is it just limited to podiatry or even in med schools med students interview prospective student.

NYCPM does 3 interviews. one with a pre-clinical sciences prof, one with a clinical prof and one with a current 3rd year student.

alparkeruab said:

here's what i wud do if i were you. I wud first apply to MD/DO schools as soon as applications open and act as if u r just a pre-med with no other thoughts in mind. Then wait and see how it goes. Now if u dont have any luck in these schools till month of May. i wud then apply to Podiatry schools. Now i myself no pod student but as from some people i heard and read in Podiatry forums they applied as late as May, June and even July and got accepted. Ofcourse if you have good stats and attitude. So dont worry abt Pod schools time line. U can apply anytime. but Med schools time line is very important and as a matter of truth they do have very high standards compared to Pod schools and can even deny u admission just on the fact that you are undecided of what to do in life as u r applying to different programs. so its better not to let them know at all that u r applying to pod school. :D and regarding pod school take it easy if u have good GPA and good MCAT scores u will be fine.

But u must remeber one thing, Podiatry is not MD. its different. As an MD you have many options. If you are undecided then just go for MD. for example, at the time of entering medical school you are not sure what u wanna do, incourse fo time u cud take different rotations and decide what u wanna end up as. But keep in mind Podiatry is itself a speciality. god forbid if you ended up not liking podiatry then you are doomed. you will have no option excpet to restart whole MD school. So i think, Podiatry applicants shud be 100% sure of what they are getting into, u shud shadow physicians, ask friends, ask mentors, etc. Podiatry or Dentistry are very different fields compared to regualar MD which is a broader field and u have more options.

So basically my conclusion is this: If you know you wanna be a Foot Specialist (dont care if u wanna be that by bcoming a Pod or ortho or internist) then apply for MD,DO and DPM programs. but if u r still unsure what speciality u like and wat to do in future then dude seriously just apply for MD/DO programs, you will have several options from Pediatrics to radiology to surgery to preventive medicine to change ur mind. you even a have transitional year residency program after MD to decide what speciality u wanna get in. Best of luck and may god bless you! and one more point dont underestimate carribean and australian med schools, they also have some good residency placements in USA. So if u dont get in Med schools do consider them also.

krabmas said:
NYCPM does 3 interviews. one with a pre-clinical sciences prof, one with a clinical prof and one with a current 3rd year student.

so lets say if u didnt got impresed by the applicant. do u have the power to reject the applicant.

cool_vkb said:
so lets say if u didnt got impresed by the applicant. do u have the power to reject the applicant.

after the 3 interviews (each interviewer fills out a form) the admissions committee meets and discusses the applicants. there are no students on the committee. but the admissions department tells us that the student interviews are just as important as the faculty and that we are usually harder or the same as the faculty but never easier on the candidates.

most of the interviewers are looking at the applicants as "would I want to work with this person?"

This is hilarious.

Do you think that admissions commitees would really take me less seriously as an applicant if they found out that I was applying to two other fields besides their own?

If you're just now realizing that you may not be academically competitive to get the medical degree that you want...for example, the MD...then you should study harder or give up.

bump. asking this q in an old thread to keep all the relevant info about this in the same spot:

i really want to go to pod school, and that is absolutely my 1st choice, but i'm planning on applying to touro (DO school in the bay area) and maybe Western in LA as a backup plan

will that hurt my chances at pod school? the application on AACPMAS specifically asks if you're applying to other programs, which makes me nervous.

Last edited:
Samuel Merritt (California School of Podiatric Medicine) is in Oakland. Assuming you guys are staying in the Bay Area, you could just go to school there.

Western has a new pod school they opened up too, so it looks like both NorCal and SoCal have options for you. I dont see a reason for you apply to DO as a back-up assuming you guys stay in California.

that's awesome, so that doubles the number of pod schools in CA.
I guess my question is... the question is mandatory (so you most certainly can't lie about it). Lets assume, for a minute, that I am definitely applying to DO school. Will an pod ADCOM look at that and be like NOPE she's doing pod as backup? Or will they be understanding, because admissions is tricky, and people sometimes try to put their eggs in various baskets etc. etc.

Have you applied or will you apply to other Health Professions schools?
required.gif
Yes
No

spacer.gif

If Yes, list the names of the Health Professions (not the school name)
Allopathic Medicine
Dentistry
Optometry
Osteopathic Medicine
etc.

Last edited:
Just a warning that at interviews some interviewers may ask you if you applied to other health profession schools, so be aware of that. I would say at both the interview and on the application don't lie because it may look bad if they find out.

FYI touro is in vallejo which is quite far away

I'd say better not to apply to both DO and Pod for those schools have both programs.

that's awesome, so that doubles the number of pod schools in CA.
I guess my question is... the question is mandatory (so you most certainly can't lie about it). Lets assume, for a minute, that I am definitely applying to DO school. Will an pod ADCOM look at that and be like NOPE she's doing pod as backup? Or will they be understanding, because admissions is tricky, and people sometimes try to put their eggs in various baskets etc. etc.

Have you applied or will you apply to other Health Professions schools?
required.gif
Yes
No

spacer.gif

If Yes, list the names of the Health Professions (not the school name)
Allopathic Medicine
Dentistry
Optometry
Osteopathic Medicine
etc.

As long as your scores are MCAT scores are adequate, I don't think they would dismiss your application based on saying you are applying to M.D/D.O. schools as well. If it is a concern to them you during the interview (very unlikely), you can always inform them of your need to stay in your specified geographic region and downplay the issue. I would be sure you can articulate why you would prefer podiatry over the other degrees' offered specialties if asked. Just my 2¢. (Disclosure: I didn't apply to CSPM, so don't know if their interviewers make a bigger point of this issue than other programs)