Applying to FNP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually there are at least 70 direct-entry NP programs nationwide. There are 285 total accredited FNP programs, so the direct-entry programs represent just under 25% of all programs. I did a state-by-state search and posted the link for all the direct-entry progams a few months ago. Here it is:
http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/direct-entry-msn/

There is a huge difference between direct entry NP program and direct entry Masters (of other than NP) program.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually there are at least 70 direct-entry NP programs nationwide. There are 285 total accredited FNP programs, so the direct-entry programs represent just under 25% of all programs. I did a state-by-state search and posted the link for all the direct-entry progams a few months ago. Here it is:
http://www.bestnursingdegree.com/programs/direct-entry-msn/

Yeah, not so much.

As stated above, huge difference between direct entry 'generalist' nursing master's degree(MSN) and direct entry NP. I only skimmed your list but I still count only around 40.

I don't doubt that # will keep going up----sign of the times, I suppose.
I only brought it up to dispel the mistaken notion that only nursing takes 'any' college grad and turns them into a midlevel---as shown by the greater # of PA programs that in even shorter programs claim to do the same.

Two things:
1) Nursing has enough to worry about
2) I don't know why ANYONE would do one of those other DE programs on that list. The CNL 'nurse leader' master's is not being utilized and likely never will. Just get a second bachelors and then go on to any program for NP.

Members don't see this ad :)
DNP is crap. But a Phd is altogether different. Research is needed on infection control techniques, improving patient satisfaction, ways to decrease VAP, and the list goes on and on...

No, nursing doesn't replace any other field, nor does any other field replace nursing. Ya know the first crash cart wash invented by a nurse. Not sure if she did research on it, but if it was done today it would be required before hospitals adopt it. It would have to be cost effective, decrease mortality rates, etc.

That is the most sensible answer I have yet seen.

You should care because the scientific/medical community decides what voices should be heard and, therefore, who gets money.

I care. I just think your voice matters little in the debate about nursing education. You should worry about your own self.

I care. I just think your voice matters little in the debate about nursing education. You should worry about your own self.

I find it incredibly arrogant that you feel nobody but a nurse should have a voice or opinion about nursing education and practice. Nurses and nursing organizations, including the AANA, ANA, and their state associations, have opposed PA and AA education and expansion nationwide.

That is the most sensible answer I have yet seen.

Well, I just hope it shows you that nursing research and Phd is important. Is the research always something big and grand? No. There are plenty of research articles about stupid crap that has no real relevance or is common sense (so does alot of other "science" research). But nurses research a lot of things that are important. Alcohol vs handwashing, raising the head of bed to decrease Vap, ways of decreasing decubitus.

Not gonna hear any arguments on the DNP though until it is actually a real clinical doctorate.

I find it incredibly arrogant that you feel nobody but a nurse should have a voice or opinion about nursing education and practice. Nurses and nursing organizations, including the AANA, ANA, and their state associations, have opposed PA and AA education and expansion nationwide.

To be fair to fab, the nursing organizations may not always speak for her. I know they don't always echo my opinion.

To be fair to fab, the nursing organizations may not always speak for her. I know they don't always echo my opinion.

QFT.

I am not involved in anesthesia, so as you said, the AANA doesn't speak for me, and the ANA has never, ever spoken for me. Something jwk would have known if he wouldn't he merely trolling here. My position regarding the ANA hasn't changed since I have been a member here for the last 8 years; for that matter, it hasn't changed in the 25y I've been a nurse.

Wassmadder jwk? Is the anesthesia forum not interesting enough for you? Do you feel the need to come kick the sand in the eyes of some nurses posting in the "Clinicians Forum"? I've rarely ever seen you take much of an interest in this forum until now. :confused:

QFT.

I am not involved in anesthesia, so as you said, the AANA doesn't speak for me, and the ANA has never, ever spoken for me. Something jwk would have known if he wouldn't he merely trolling here. My position regarding the ANA hasn't changed since I have been a member here for the last 8 years; for that matter, it hasn't changed in the 25y I've been a nurse.

Wassmadder jwk? Is the anesthesia forum not interesting enough for you? Do you feel the need to come kick the sand in the eyes of some nurses posting in the "Clinicians Forum"? I've rarely ever seen you take much of an interest in this forum until now. :confused:

QFT?

Don't know that one? Quit f'ing talking? I hope not since I was trying to be nice.

EDIT: found it. Quoted for truth. Sorry.

Last edited: