General Admissions & OTCAS Applying to 8 schools. That enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYY13251

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be applying to 8 schools this summer. I keep going back and forth if that is enough. I am only applying to schools that do not require GRE and do not require tons of other pre-reqs from what I already have/finishing up. The only class I will need is Developmental Psy and that is because 2 schools will not accept it since it is more than 5 years old. It was 6 years ago so I will do it over in the Fall.

Do you think 8 schools is a good amount? A few OT's I have spoken to, including the place I observe at are fairly confident I will get into at least one. They think that since I am a male, schools will like that. All of them said there program only had between 3-5 guys and they think that will help me. I don't know and not banking on it.

What are your thoughts on 8 schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I think 8 schools is a good amount but it also depends on your stats/application. I applied to 8 schools and thought FOR SURE one would at least invite me to an interview and none did even that. All of them flat out rejected me. But my application was shaky! I think being a guy will help you a bit, but it all depends on your application.

Hi there! I think 8 schools is a good amount but it also depends on your stats/application. I applied to 8 schools and thought FOR SURE one would at least invite me to an interview and none did even that. All of them flat out rejected me. But my application was shaky! I think being a guy will help you a bit, but it all depends on your application.

Thanks! I graduated with a 3.3 but if they look at my pre reqs I have a lot of A's (Anatomy 1 and 2, Stats). Finishing up Sociology and I took the Psy courses few years ago and those are a mix of A's and B's. By the time I apply, I should have a decent amount of observation hours as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to 6. 2 I think I'll get in, 2 I'm average at, and 2 reaches.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It definitely helps to know the average stats of previously accepted students. Also, depending on how the deadlines overlap, it may be tough to write good quality secondary essays for 8 schools, but if you're organized and plan well ahead I think it's doable. Don't forget to ask about fee wavers.

Thanks!
I also have some questions about OTCAS: They open July 18 (according to there facebook page)

By the time that comes around, I will not be taking any more classes until the Fall and should have most of my hours done and essays

1) I have several schools that want different things. One has a specific essay question and others have just a personal statement. When I add a program to apply to on OTCAS, do I individually add extra things they may want?
2) Similar question. Two of the schools are requiring me to take Developmental Psy since it has been over 5 years (it's been 6 :/ ), so when I apply to those two schools, is there a spot where I can say that I am planning on taking it again in the Fall? When I took it 5 years ago, I think I got a B+, if I get a better grade, will other schools be notified?
3) Do I have to wait to apply to all the schools at once? I am applying to 7/8 schools. 2 require developmental psy redo and another wants me to have a second place to shadow at which I am working on. Would I be able to apply to all the other schools or wait until I have EVERYTHING done?
4) Any other tips for OTCAS?

Thanks!

Thanks!
I also have some questions about OTCAS: They open July 18 (according to there facebook page)

By the time that comes around, I will not be taking any more classes until the Fall and should have most of my hours done and essays

1) I have several schools that want different things. One has a specific essay question and others have just a personal statement. When I add a program to apply to on OTCAS, do I individually add extra things they may want?
2) Similar question. Two of the schools are requiring me to take Developmental Psy since it has been over 5 years (it's been 6 :/ ), so when I apply to those two schools, is there a spot where I can say that I am planning on taking it again in the Fall? When I took it 5 years ago, I think I got a B+, if I get a better grade, will other schools be notified?
3) Do I have to wait to apply to all the schools at once? I am applying to 7/8 schools. 2 require developmental psy redo and another wants me to have a second place to shadow at which I am working on. Would I be able to apply to all the other schools or wait until I have EVERYTHING done?
4) Any other tips for OTCAS?

Thanks!

1) Each individual school has their own page within the system, so if they request different information than the standard OTCAS stuff, a spot will be provided
2) I would reach out to the school's individually and see where they stand on applying before you have it all done. For example, I verified this with my school and I am taking chem this summer before I start my program in the fall, but another place I applied said you had to have all of your pre-reqs done prior to applying.
3) You do not have to wait, you can apply to all of them at once if you wish, although that will get awfully expensive. The first app you submit is the most pricey one. After you submit your first, nothing can be deleted so keep that in mind. Things can be added, but they will not remove anything for you.
4) I would stay ahead of your deadlines and email the schools if you have any questions. Also OTCAS is very helpful if you run into any issues. I would not pay for the professional transcript service, as OTCAS will verify everything anyways, and they will tell you if there are any errors. Make sure you leave yourself enough time before the deadlines that it will not be effected by the verification process. Your personal statement is your selling point. Make it super good and memorable, show your passion. I consider myself a middle of the road student stats wise (3.6GPA, decent GRE, good pre-req grades), but I believe my statement and my interview are what got me into my program. You never know though, some of it is just luck and whether or not they liked you.

Are you an older student and this a career change? If so, use that as well, that shows that you've put a lot of thought into it.

Good luck to you! :)

Reactions: 1 user
1) Each individual school has their own page within the system, so if they request different information than the standard OTCAS stuff, a spot will be provided
2) I would reach out to the school's individually and see where they stand on applying before you have it all done. For example, I verified this with my school and I am taking chem this summer before I start my program in the fall, but another place I applied said you had to have all of your pre-reqs done prior to applying.
3) You do not have to wait, you can apply to all of them at once if you wish, although that will get awfully expensive. The first app you submit is the most pricey one. After you submit your first, nothing can be deleted so keep that in mind. Things can be added, but they will not remove anything for you.
4) I would stay ahead of your deadlines and email the schools if you have any questions. Also OTCAS is very helpful if you run into any issues. I would not pay for the professional transcript service, as OTCAS will verify everything anyways, and they will tell you if there are any errors. Make sure you leave yourself enough time before the deadlines that it will not be effected by the verification process. Your personal statement is your selling point. Make it super good and memorable, show your passion. I consider myself a middle of the road student stats wise (3.6GPA, decent GRE, good pre-req grades), but I believe my statement and my interview are what got me into my program. You never know though, some of it is just luck and whether or not they liked you.

Are you an older student and this a career change? If so, use that as well, that shows that you've put a lot of thought into it.

Good luck to you! :)

Thank you!! I am 27 (28 this fall). I have always wanted to go back to school, but was still deciding on what and when. I wasn't happy where I was living a few years ago and once I moved, I started taking care of all the pre-reqs and such. I have a draft for my personal statement and am starting to work on the essays for the 2 other schools that have specific questions. I have emailed the schools and the ones that I am missing a class for, have said I can apply and I can take the class before the program starts. Between the schools I need developmental psy, kinesiology and medical terminology. I plan on taking 2 of those this fall and one in Spring. I am not worried about those. Depending on which school, I probably have a 3.6-3.7 GPA for pre-reqs. I do not have hundreds of hours for shadowing and will probably have about 60 by the time I apply. I may even take off work a few days to get some extra hours in.

Thank you!! I am 27 (28 this fall). I have always wanted to go back to school, but was still deciding on what and when. I wasn't happy where I was living a few years ago and once I moved, I started taking care of all the pre-reqs and such. I have a draft for my personal statement and am starting to work on the essays for the 2 other schools that have specific questions. I have emailed the schools and the ones that I am missing a class for, have said I can apply and I can take the class before the program starts. Between the schools I need developmental psy, kinesiology and medical terminology. I plan on taking 2 of those this fall and one in Spring. I am not worried about those. Depending on which school, I probably have a 3.6-3.7 GPA for pre-reqs. I do not have hundreds of hours for shadowing and will probably have about 60 by the time I apply. I may even take off work a few days to get some extra hours in.
I only had 40 hours of shadowing. I think the most important thing with that is getting a couple of days in at one setting. I did one at a place for adults with disabilities and the other at a peds clinic. I also volunteered at a lot of places that help people like a cancer support home, a preschool for disabled kiddos, an after school program, a food pantry, and a homeless shelter.