applying for psyc boards as childfellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherryalmond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am filling out the application to take the psyc boards , part I , in 2010. I have questions that I am unsure of:
where is it given? are there two test dates(it says may 13-17 then more dates a week later?) Also I fast-tracked into child fellowship so on the application do i put I am in an ACGME accredited program---i believe they are referring to a residency not a fellowship; am i considered to be a 4th yr resident or have I already graduated from residency? They don't have a section for ppl who fast-tracked into child fellowship so i'm a bit confused
tha

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if you're technically considered graduated if you're fast-tracking in. I'd ask the program director - it's their job to know this stuff. Or check the ABPN website.

This .pdf shows what the PD must attest to in order to have you sit for the exam. I think that if all the rotations on this are checked off, you're eligible to sit for part I of the exam. Again, I'd double check with your PD.

I am filling out the application to take the psyc boards , part I , in 2010. I have questions that I am unsure of:
where is it given? are there two test dates(it says may 13-17 then more dates a week later?) Also I fast-tracked into child fellowship so on the application do i put I am in an ACGME accredited program---i believe they are referring to a residency not a fellowship; am i considered to be a 4th yr resident or have I already graduated from residency? They don't have a section for ppl who fast-tracked into child fellowship so i'm a bit confused
tha
If you go into a CAP fellowship after doing 3 years in a general program, for the purposes of the ABPN you are a 4th year resident. The program where you did your PGY1 training will have to vouch for your training that year and the CAP program will have to verify that you are on schedule to finish your general adult training at the end of your 4th year (1st CAP year).

Yes- I just took the boards this year in the same position. I switched programs after my intern year and needed 3 letters- from the PGY-1 program, the PGY 2-3 program, and my current program. The dates are only guidelines- you won't be able to schedule the test (1 day) until ~12 weeks in advance. You also need to have a full license by the end of the academic year or they toss out the test results.