Applying for Medical license w/ hx of 1 failed medical school course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

froghopleap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN community and experienced physicians,

I have a fear of delay or denial of medical licensure application with the following honest history.

I failed one (1) pre-clinical course in medical school. I remediated this course quickly without delay. I have no other failures or problems and My transcript reflects this. passed all step courses without problems.

1. does this need to be reported to the Medical board(s)?
2. will it raise red flags or cause major delay?
3. theoretically, if one was placed on academic probation for one failed course related to just grade performance, does this make it worse?
4. failing 1 class appears to linger on us for the rest of our lives?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDN community and experienced physicians,

I have a fear of delay or denial of medical licensure application with the following honest history.

I failed one (1) pre-clinical course in medical school. I remediated this course quickly without delay. I have no other failures or problems and My transcript reflects this. passed all step courses without problems.

1. does this need to be reported to the Medical board(s)?
2. will it raise red flags or cause major delay?
3. theoretically, if one was placed on academic probation for one failed course related to just grade performance, does this make it worse?
4. failing 1 class appears to linger on us for the rest of our lives?

No this will not delay or deny a license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you jdh71. I felt worried as older threads reported awful experiences in some states, particularly Texas where I want to apply. This is my first time applying for a full license as a senior resident. I think my situation is very reasonable but felt bad as I have to be reminded of one course everytime I apply for a license.

No this will not delay or deny a license.

Thank you jdh71. I felt worried as older threads reported awful experiences in some states, particularly Texas where I want to apply. This is my first time applying for a full license as a senior resident. I think my situation is very reasonable but felt bad as I have to be reminded of one course everytime I apply for a license.

Texas is notorious for taking a long time to issue a license, so be prepared to wait.

I doubt anyone at the board looks at your transcript except to see that you 1) matriculated and 2) graduated (some do look if you graduated in 4 years)