Applying for General Surgery as a PGY-1 in a TRI program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warnerade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience applying to general surgery after completing a non-surgical TRI/TY year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am finishing up my TRI year at an AOA program (although, we did get our ACGME accreditation this year). I successfully matched into general surgery residency as well. Advice from my viewpoint: pick a TRI/TY program that will adjust your schedule based on your career goals. Luckily, my program was very willing to work with me and give me a few more surgical rotations. Also, find a program where you can get lots of hands-on surgical experiences. My program doesn't have senior residents, so I got to scrub into many cases. One of my attendings let me perform an appendectomy from start to finish (extremely rare for a TRI year). These types of experiences make you a better interview candidate and give you a lot to talk about. My program also gave us plenty of time to take off for interviews (some programs only let you go to interviews on post-call days). If you have any questions on the interviewing process, feel free to PM me =)