Applying anesthesia, low step 2 221

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mary3x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO applicant. 235 step 1, 221 step 2.
no idea what happened, was predicted at 237

took a LOA after M1 related to an injury (red flag). 1 publication and working on anesthesia research pub

am I screwed? Honestly feel numb. Really want anesthesia but looks like I’ll have to settle for IM which sucks

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I think it’ll show up with my step 1 score. Yeah I feel really blindsided. Wasn’t expecting this outcome at all

Members don't see this ad :)
Both your Step 1 and Step 2 scores will show up when you apply (you can't just select one score to hide). Hopefully you did better on COMLEX 2 though many programs still won't use it. Apply broadly to anesthesiology programs but don't be surprised if you don't match (based on the info given), so also apply to back-up specialty that you would still be happy with. And why do you say if you have to "settle" for IM? IM has a lot more fellowship options down the line after residency (eg GI, cardiology, critical care) that you could do.

Reactions: 1 user
Charting outcomes for DO's, Anesthesia:
1630181436184.png

Even those with 211-220 still had a 50% chance of matching. Maximize the rest of your application. Have a back up plan. All is not lost.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I guess before getting step 2 really thought I had solid app for anesthesia. IM would be fine, it’s not settling just not the specialty I ideally wanted.
Looks like a coin flip if I match or not

DO applicant. 235 step 1, 221 step 2.
no idea what happened, was predicted at 237

took a LOA after M1 related to an injury (red flag). 1 publication and working on anesthesia research pub

am I screwed? Honestly feel numb. Really want anesthesia but looks like I’ll have to settle for IM which sucks
I think you have a chance. One of my friends dropped from step 1 to step 2 and matched ok, albeit not with many interviews but it worked out well anyway. Maybe don't apply to top 10 schools, apply very broadly as others have said. Also try to get very solid LORs and get that anesthesia publication going. And send letters of interest to PDs when you start applying. also in my experience anesthesia people really like you to be interesting; if you don't have an appealing or different story, maybe list some unique/interesting hobbies or something like that.
P.S. IM may be a much better choice. You will be ok OP, don't lose hope

I think you have a chance. One of my friends dropped from step 1 to step 2 and matched ok, albeit not with many interviews but it worked out well anyway. Maybe don't apply to top 10 schools, apply very broadly as others have said. Also try to get very solid LORs and get that anesthesia publication going. And send letters of interest to PDs when you start applying. also in my experience anesthesia people really like you to be interesting; if you don't have an appealing or different story, maybe list some unique/interesting hobbies or something like that.
P.S. IM may be a much better choice. You will be ok OP, don't lose hope
Thanks man really appreciate the encouragement, needed it. Yeah with CRNAs and stuff who knows.

hey just wondering, how did the match process go for you? I will most likely be in a similar boat regarding my practice scores for step 2 ck. Step 1 was 239.

What is the average number of programs applied to for successful applicants in anesthesia?

Play your cards right and a uni residency is not out of the question, especially if you audition at a place where your stats are in their range and shine. Many Uni affiliates are quite good. Make sure to look into them. I think you are competitive to match. Apply broadly. Good luck and best wishes!

hey just wondering, how did the match process go for you? I will most likely be in a similar boat regarding my practice scores for step 2 ck. Step 1 was 239.
Many will be applying for a backup seeing the outcome that was just released.

Attachments

• Charting_Outcomes_DO_Seniors_2022_Final-Updated.pdf
    74.2 KB · Views: 117
I still cannot fathom why gas remains popular/competitive among med students.... Are they not terrified of CRNAs? Do they really not think their attending gig will be more than supervising 5 midlevels while themselves totally removed from the OR? I can understand trying to match gas in hopes of going straight into pain fellowship, but other than that, why? Am I missing something?

I still cannot fathom why gas remains popular/competitive among med students.... Are they not terrified of CRNAs? Do they really not think their attending gig will be more than supervising 5 midlevels while themselves totally removed from the OR? I can understand trying to match gas in hopes of going straight into pain fellowship, but other than that, why? Am I missing something?
What's not to get? Some of the highest pay you can find compared to the years spent in residency, and shift work. Almost every non-surgical speciality is getting midlevel creeped, better to pick one that has been used to them for the longest and pays the most.

What's not to get? Some of the highest pay you can find compared to the years spent in residency, and shift work. Almost every non-surgical speciality is getting midlevel creeped, better to pick one that has been used to them for the longest and pays the most.
Decent argument, and I don't disagree, just think it would be hard to sit there and watch somebody else do your job who has a tenth of the training for half your pay.

Decent argument, and I don't disagree, just think it would be hard to sit there and watch somebody else do your job who has a tenth of the training for half your pay.
I mean same but I was trying to think of it from a general perspective.