Apply to both GPR/OMFS in the same cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatordent19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm a current 3DN, and I waited a bit too long to make up my mind about residencies. I always figured I'd fall back on an AEGD/GPR and just do general if I didn't decide on something. Recently I've been getting drawn in to OMFS and am seriously considering applying for a 4 year program... but I have already scheduled externships/rotations at a few AEGD/GPR programs. I feel like it would be super unprofessional to call them up and tell them I changed my mind... Is it a bad idea to apply to both GPR and OMFS programs in the same cycle?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's all possible just difficult to coordinate. You have to arrange all those recommendation letters. And applying to OS is a chore. You have to check a lot of boxes. There are tons of threads about it. IMO a gpr is a waste of time if you want to do general dentistry. You are better off diving into private practice. An internship is a good way to build your application and gives you a good chance of knowing if it's for you. Mind you, the application process would begin before you internship starts. So it'll be a lot of work all at once.

Go do externships too!

Reactions: 1 user