Apply DO and MD at same school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

I'm interested in applying to both MD and DO schools, each for various reasons. My question is: If I apply to Michigan State, which has both MD and DO programs, will I be frowned upon? Are the committees generally purists when it comes to the type of degree? (ex. DO or nothing....MD or nothing) I appreciate any feedback you all might have. Thanks.
Oh yeah, and I'm a Michigan resident (I'm not crazy!).

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both programs at MSU and I am not even a Michigan resident. I am not sure how much it actually matters, but my advice would be to, obviously, have a good reason as to why you want to be a doctor, but when it comes to the DO program, know your stuff (understand the DO philosophy and be able to explain why you would be a good osteopath specifically). From my experience, if the subject comes up as to why you applied to both programs, they are pretty understanding. They know they are not the only school you applied to and they also understand that you have to keep your options open. Being a Michigan resident, it seems it would be easy to explain as to why you applied to both; you live there and would like to stay there (I am just speculating here). Just be honest and I don't think it will really make a huge difference. Of course I don't have any inside source to confirm this.......just my own opinion.

hudsontc,

Like kat13, I also have no inside information, but i doubt that applyinng to both programs "will I be frowned uponwill I be frowned upon." In fact, I can think of one person off the top of my head that will be interviewing at both MSUCOM and MSUCHM.

Just win the lottery and apply to all the allopathic progams, all the osteopathic programs, ans all the carribbean programs and you should get at least one secondary. ;)

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
ez073323...

Off topic, but i noticed your signature. Don't worry about the Touro interview. Its bark is far worse than its bite. Some people hated the experience, but it was by far my favorite interview.

hudson,

I have a *little* inside info, but it may be dated. When I applied to the MD program at MSU in 1999, my application was quite weak. I met with Dean Schafer, who I believe is still in charge there. She suggested applying to the DO program as one of several alternatives.

MSU is interesting in that DO's and MD's take some of their classes together. I've heard that the cutoff pass score for the MD program is higher. Otherwise, they're all in the same room for much of their basic science training.

So to sum, applying to both should have no impact on either application. In fact, I doubt they'll even know that you're doing so unless you go out of your way to point it out (perhaps a wise strategy if you want to convince them that you REALLY like Michigan State.)

Hope this helps!

I applied to UMDNJ's allopathic and osteopathic schools. I was accepted at one of the allopathics and haven't heard a peep from the DO school. I don't think they monitor eachother like that. Good luck.

I've heard that the cutoff pass score for the MD program is higher

I actually heard from an MSU student that the D.O.s had a higher anatomy average last year though ;) Anyone confirm?

I applied to UMDNJ's allopathic and osteopathic schools. I was accepted at one of the allopathics and haven't heard a peep from the DO school. I don't think they monitor eachother like that

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, applied to all the NJ schools, got into Newark and UMDNJSOM, (actually wound up attending NYCOM), but I dont think applying to the different schools in NJ hurt my chances. They asked me about it and I was honest. Didnt seemed they cared. But then again, the NJ schools are at opposite ends of the state, the MSU schools are on the same campus. Dont limit your chances and definitely dont try to get into the minds of these adcom folks, they can be a squirrely bunch wherever you go :) Do what you think is right. good luck.

I am an out-of-stater and applied to both MSU programs, and interviewed and could find out about COM today if I wanted to (I like the mail). I was told they are trying to schedule me an interview at CHM. If I get in, I'll probably defer for a year to obtain residency.
CHM does have a higher average required to pass, but that is because the COM students have more courses to take. In general, all osteopathic schools require more credits to graduate (mostly Manipulation courses), but MSU COM requires more than any of them (that's what they told me). And I could see that because they have courses through the summer. The one thing I don't like about the school is the anatomy labs. They do Prosections instead of Disections--basically someone else disects the bodies for you.
-=Eric