Medical Applied 33 MD schools, 3 IIs so far, expected a lot more, no Plan B - what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As shown on the title, I have no plan B. When should I start worrying about creating a plan B?
Now, and always. Even without knowing your stats, everyone should think about what your plan B is going to be at every point during the application process. If you wait until April-May to start coming up with a plan B, you're probably not going to come up with a very good plan.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. But should I start prepping myself for a need for gap year with the status I am in right now? My LM is 77, WARS is 99.
...Yes. That's what I said. Everyone, regardless of their stats, should have a plan B.

Sure, you're more likely than not to get an acceptance. But you should at least start exploring what your options might be now, and if you don't have an acceptance by January or February you should start acting on those plans.

At what point should I start worrying about not getting an adequate number of IIs?
You already have three IIs. That's an adequate number. Most people get none.

And with three IIs, it's unlikely (on the surface) that you app is lacking. If you don't get accepts, your interview skills would be the most probably suspect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am definitely very thankful, but for all the years of hard work, it's fair to expect invites from top-tier schools, no?
There are MANY students that aren’t getting ANY invites. The goal here should be to get into A medical school. Any medical school. You have 4 invites. You are doing fine.

[QUOTE"]
Thank you all. Respectfully disagree that expecting results from life-long hard work is equivalent to entitlement. But not here to argue, appreciate your responses. Thank you.

On another note, at what time do top-tier schools stop sending invites - especially to people who were complete very early in the session?
[/QUOTE]
Early Oct in this COVID cycle. Click is probably running out.

Thank you all. Respectfully disagree that expecting results from life-long hard work is equivalent to entitlement. But not here to argue, appreciate your responses. Thank you.

On another note, at what time do top-tier schools stop sending invites - especially to people who were complete very early in the session?
Just pointing out, you ARE getting results—you now have 4 IIs. You started this thread worrying about taking a gap year, and now that you received another II, you’re worrying about your IIs not coming from a “good enough” school?

You’re being very respectful in your responses so I’m not trying to be rude. I will say that I also had a bad attitude toward some of the schools I applied to way back when I went through this process, and it was a bad look on me. Lots of people have worked very hard throughout their lives and are hoping from love from schools, especially “top” ones. Try to be happy for the opportunities you have, be thankful if better opportunities come, and always have a backup just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Just be mindful not to come across that way.

Every process runs on its own, and it is impossible to try to game the system. Our guidance is probabilistic only. No guarantees. I monitored many applicants who have high metrics but don't move as far as they "should". As a screener, I appreciate the years of hard work and support as documented on the application, but I know that when you have so many people who have similar profiles and efforts, you aren't the unicorn anymore. If you think this is the Olympics, everyone qualified to get there. Some move on to the semifinals on their own or sometimes by luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.